gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:37:02 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE BEACH BOYS ANNOUNCE 50TH ANNIVERSARY REUNION, NEW ALBUM AND TOUR  (Read 144650 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #700 on: December 24, 2011, 02:20:37 PM »

Jeff, I know, it's all about you. Maybe I'll only buy based on your seal of approval. I think you should submitt the track listing to Capitol and also post it here for Mark & Alan. You might save them any extra work or just in case they added something that doesn't meet your criteria & approval. We sure do get ahead ourselves around here, don't we?

Happy Holidays to everyone and a Merry Christmas to all who celebrate it tonight and tomorrow.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #701 on: December 24, 2011, 02:24:01 PM »

Some of you seem not to care what is released, as long as something is released.  It doesn't matter what it is--if it says "Beach Boys" on it, you're going to claim that it's "great."  But you're not doing the rest of us any favors.  Essentially, you're telling the record company that it doesn't have to put any effort into ensuring a quality product, because you'll blindly buy it no matter what.

Personally, I do care what is released, and I won't buy it if it isn't a quality product.  And yes, I'll be bummed if Wouldn't It Be Nice to Live Again and the alternate Add Some Music are left in the can in favor of stuff like Punchline, Ruby Baby, etc.

So that's where this is headed--at least it's where I'm headed with my posts.  If there's any chance at all that decision makers read this, I hope they see that there are several tracks which a lot of us really want to see released.  I also hope they don't see the posts talking about the supposed greatness of Punchline and The Things We Did Last Summer.

I'd venture it's more that EVERYONE has their own opinions; I'd bet there's no-one that doesn't want WIBNTLA on the release, but just because you and other(s) don't share the high opinions of Punchline and TWDLS, certainly doesn't mean they aren't great songs.
  I'm presuming we're going to get some great releases, but, if they somehow don't meet your standards, I'm certain Capitol can live without selling it to you, as all the rest of us will be buying like crazy.  

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #702 on: December 24, 2011, 03:52:18 PM »

I have no idea what their plan of attack for the box is this time around, but I think it would be interesting if they expanded it from a 4 to a 5-disc set as a *base*, and then added a 6th bonus ,"sessions" disc, similar to what they did last time (and yes, I'm aware that the Euro version of the '93 box set had the extra "mini" disc's worth of material added). Smiley

That way, within the base 5-disc set, they could keep *everything* that was on the 4-disc '93 set, add any glaring omissions (e.g. Let Him Run Wild), add more deep cuts to give a better sense of balance or expand things (e.g. Dennis, 70's stuff, etc.), add a few tracks beyond Kokomo if they wish, and then 12-15 bona fide rarities/unreleased tracks (i.e. the *good* stuff!). Basically, add another 25-28 tracks, or so, to the base of the '93 set. Of course, all of this would be chronological, with the fill-ins occurring where they should, and spread out over the 5 discs. Also, any of those already released, '93 tracks (e.g. SMILE) could be tweaked, upgraded, presented slightly differently, or remixed as needed. They could also rework the SMILE section, entirely, if need be.

They could then use that bonus 6th disc, like the previous one, to add the more fanatic-oriented stuff -- backing tracks, even *more* rarities/unreleased stuff, more SMILE, live tracks, alternate mixes, vocals-only, air checks, etc. -- only this time, make that 6th disc entirely *unique* in relation to the previous box. That is, as to not make the '93 completely obsolete in its content.

Seems like a win-win scenario. Something that would appeal to every type of buyer, covers all the bases, makes it fresh, and still probably doesn't completely deplete the archives if they're looking at doing deluxe editions, mono/stereo, or separate, individual discs with a theme down the road, live, etc.

I mean, six discs total for 50 years (i.e. 5 + 1) doesn't seem out of the ordinary to me, at all.

Just thinking out loud.  Smiley
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 04:10:32 PM by Dave Modny » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #703 on: December 24, 2011, 04:02:22 PM »

Some of you seem not to care what is released, as long as something is released.  It doesn't matter what it is--if it says "Beach Boys" on it, you're going to claim that it's "great."  But you're not doing the rest of us any favors.  Essentially, you're telling the record company that it doesn't have to put any effort into ensuring a quality product, because you'll blindly buy it no matter what.

Personally, I do care what is released, and I won't buy it if it isn't a quality product.  And yes, I'll be bummed if Wouldn't It Be Nice to Live Again and the alternate Add Some Music are left in the can in favor of stuff like Punchline, Ruby Baby, etc.

So that's where this is headed--at least it's where I'm headed with my posts.  If there's any chance at all that decision makers read this, I hope they see that there are several tracks which a lot of us really want to see released.  I also hope they don't see the posts talking about the supposed greatness of Punchline and The Things We Did Last Summer.

I'd venture it's more that EVERYONE has their own opinions; I'd bet there's no-one that doesn't want WIBNTLA on the release, but just because you and other(s) don't share the high opinions of Punchline and TWDLS, certainly doesn't mean they aren't great songs.
  I'm presuming we're going to get some great releases, but, if they somehow don't meet your standards, I'm certain Capitol can live without selling it to you, as all the rest of us will be buying like crazy. 
Well put. I pretty much guarantee no matter what is  put on there, there will be complaints. That can't be helped, as we BB fans don't all like the same things. For instance, some people love Love You; others here hate it.  I hate 'Don't Hurt My Little Sister', yet others love it. Quality is in the eye of the beholder when it comes to the Beach Boys.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
PhilCohen
« Reply #704 on: December 24, 2011, 06:53:46 PM »

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.  The usual "go to" Christmas CD around here is "Christmas With The Chipmunks Vols. 1 & 2", but I may also play parts of "The Beach Boys-Ultimate Christmas" CD......or maybe(if I can endure it) The "Sea of Tunes" box set with the entire sessions for the 1964 Christmas album. This is obviously the time to play it.
seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #705 on: December 24, 2011, 07:04:03 PM »

I have no idea what their plan of attack for the box is this time around, but I think it would be interesting if they expanded it from a 4 to a 5-disc set as a *base*, and then added a 6th bonus ,"sessions" disc, similar to what they did last time (and yes, I'm aware that the Euro version of the '93 box set had the extra "mini" disc's worth of material added). Smiley

That way, within the base 5-disc set, they could keep *everything* that was on the 4-disc '93 set, add any glaring omissions (e.g. Let Him Run Wild), add more deep cuts to give a better sense of balance or expand things (e.g. Dennis, 70's stuff, etc.), add a few tracks beyond Kokomo if they wish, and then 12-15 bona fide rarities/unreleased tracks (i.e. the *good* stuff!). Basically, add another 25-28 tracks, or so, to the base of the '93 set. Of course, all of this would be chronological, with the fill-ins occurring where they should, and spread out over the 5 discs. Also, any of those already released, '93 tracks (e.g. SMILE) could be tweaked, upgraded, presented slightly differently, or remixed as needed. They could also rework the SMILE section, entirely, if need be.

They could then use that bonus 6th disc, like the previous one, to add the more fanatic-oriented stuff -- backing tracks, even *more* rarities/unreleased stuff, more SMILE, live tracks, alternate mixes, vocals-only, air checks, etc. -- only this time, make that 6th disc entirely *unique* in relation to the previous box. That is, as to not make the '93 completely obsolete in its content.

Seems like a win-win scenario. Something that would appeal to every type of buyer, covers all the bases, makes it fresh, and still probably doesn't completely deplete the archives if they're looking at doing deluxe editions, mono/stereo, or separate, individual discs with a theme down the road, live, etc.

I mean, six discs total for 50 years (i.e. 5 + 1) doesn't seem out of the ordinary to me, at all.

Just thinking out loud.  Smiley

Yes, this. Exactly!  Thumbs Up

---------------------------
Sean Murdock
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #706 on: December 24, 2011, 07:08:35 PM »

I hope they don't just expand the other boxset since I already have that boxset!  I'd rather they make a boxset full of takes and versions I've never heard.  Which I feel is possible. 
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #707 on: December 24, 2011, 07:54:18 PM »

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.  The usual "go to" Christmas CD around here is "Christmas With The Chipmunks Vols. 1 & 2", but I may also play parts of "The Beach Boys-Ultimate Christmas" CD......or maybe(if I can endure it) The "Sea of Tunes" box set with the entire sessions for the 1964 Christmas album. This is obviously the time to play it.

What?  Nothing from Brian's Christmas CD?  I do like the song "Christmasy".)
 Grin

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #708 on: December 24, 2011, 08:19:54 PM »

I finally heard the unreleased BBoys track "Your'e a Mystery" on one of the websites.

Its ok, Soul Searchin is ten times better. I mean its not bad, but the bootleg, sounds so
unfinished and like its down about three or four generations. Its kind of kooky, didin't
go where I expected it to, with some polishing it would be ok I guess.

oo i think it's way better than soul searchin.  Soul Searchin is way too adult contemporary.
PhilCohen
« Reply #709 on: December 24, 2011, 09:27:58 PM »

What?  Nothing from Brian's Christmas CD?  I do like the song "Christmasy".)
 Grin

I looked in my collection, and YES, I've got Brian's "What I Really Want For Christmas" CD. I had forgotten all about it.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #710 on: December 24, 2011, 09:49:48 PM »

The only reason I can think why Punchline, The Things we did Last Summer and Ruby Baby were included previously is surely because there wasn't much else. 

I can think of another reason:
They are great outtakes that hadn't been previously released or even bootlegged.

Are there any mediocre songs that you don't think are great?  Smiley

Are there any Johnny-buy-Pet-Sounds-lately snide little pissants with hilariously boring number-sequence-at-the-end-usernames who aren't on this board, DickoI812?
Man, you don't even like Vegetables! You should be tossed off of Brian, Van Dyke, Jules, David, Diane and Michael's SMiLE session party lifeboat (or any serious BB discussion, whichever comes first) for that alone. You ARE the Punchline. I'm gonna grab my guitar and play and laugh along right now. That's where it is AT.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #711 on: December 24, 2011, 09:59:27 PM »

Jeez guys...it's Christmas!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Nicko1234
« Reply #712 on: December 24, 2011, 10:41:53 PM »

Are there any Johnny-buy-Pet-Sounds-lately snide little pissants with hilariously boring number-sequence-at-the-end-usernames who aren't on this board, DickoI812?
Man, you don't even like Vegetables! You should be tossed off of Brian, Van Dyke, Jules, David, Diane and Michael's SMiLE session party lifeboat (or any serious BB discussion, whichever comes first) for that alone. You ARE the Punchline. I'm gonna grab my guitar and play and laugh along right now. That's where it is AT.

You do know that I wasn't being entirely serious with my comment right? The smiley after it was an indication of that.

Is it really that important that some people don't like the songs that you like?

It is, as another poster said, Christmas so let's leave it there.
pmugghc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #713 on: December 25, 2011, 04:19:43 AM »

I don't know if this would be feasible, but couldn't this message board's admin make a list with all known outtakes and then give us each a limited number of votes (8 ?) and then we would get a list of the most wanted outtakes after everyone has voted ? That could then be forwarded to Capitol, not sure if they would use it though.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #714 on: December 25, 2011, 09:52:01 AM »

Maybe worth a try, but I reckon a WHOLE LOT of great music would be left off if people don't even like Punchline or Things We Did Last Summer.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #715 on: December 25, 2011, 11:53:44 AM »

I don't know if this would be feasible, but couldn't this message board's admin make a list with all known outtakes and then give us each a limited number of votes (8 ?) and then we would get a list of the most wanted outtakes after everyone has voted ? That could then be forwarded to Capitol, not sure if they would use it though.

maybe while you're compiling this list( maybe simply borrowing it from 10452), you( the admin) could assemble  snippets of each selection, say a minimum of 30 seconds each, and post links to each one, so everyone can sample them before voting?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #716 on: December 25, 2011, 12:15:58 PM »

I think what some people don't notice though is that the record company's motivation isn't necessarily to give the fans everything they want.  It's completely possible that some songs are left off of some projects for reasons like A. they're saving it for another project B. certain band members don't like it C. financial/royalty concerns D. political reasons etc.

So it's not just a popularity thing, and I'm kind of glad it isn't, because it leaves open the possibility that there's still stuff out there greater than some of the stuff we've already heard. 
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #717 on: December 25, 2011, 04:33:13 PM »

I suspect that the fans whose opinion is regarded sufficiently high enough by the powers that be will be/have already been polled as to what they'd regard as worthy of inclusion on the box set and are trustworthy enough to keep their gobs shut. First thing the rest of us will know will be when we read the credits in the accompanying booklet. And I like it that way.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 12:30:07 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #718 on: December 26, 2011, 12:35:20 AM »

For me, I'll stick with my original off-the-cuff list of studio rarities/unreleased track picks and hope that some (or most) would make it to an upcoming archival release. Smiley

However, one I personally forgot (but someone else noted) is the studio version of We Got Love. Considering that it snuck out on some early German pressings of Holland, it's probably the most infamous track that was actually released within the Beach Boys classic era but still hasn't made the leap to any (legit) digital release. So, I think that one's absolutely essential in terms of putting order to the catalog. It's also a pretty damned fine recording (IMHO).

Another rarity that I left off my original list that I personally think is a stellar choice for a backing track-only release is that "strings-up" version of Had To Phone Ya'. In fact, I was pretty much blown away when I heard it, and it really drew light to just how much that track was able to capture the spirit of Brian's more fully-realized and grand productions of the 60s -- both melodically and in execution. I might enjoy that one more without vocals!

Live tracks...too many to mention. You've Got To Hide Your Love Away from Michigan State '66, Only With You from Carnegie Hall '72, *any* of the "box set tracks" from Paramount '93, versions of Country Air, Feel Flows, All This Is That, Wild Honey and It's About Time from the early 70s, would all my personal first choices for great live versions that deserve an archival release.

One can also only imagine what other goodies exist -- both documented or not -- that have never leaked yet!

PS - Even though it probably falls into the release rights of solo Dennis material, it's a shame we can't get a clean, legit, digital release of Sound Of Free! Hopefully, that will find it's way out on some CD project in my lifetime.
Paulos
« Reply #719 on: January 10, 2012, 01:32:06 AM »

I was thinking earlier that perhaps one of the archival release might be a second singles box covering 65-69? Does anyone know how well the first box sold?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #720 on: January 10, 2012, 02:13:24 AM »

I was thinking earlier that perhaps one of the archival release might be a second singles box covering 65-69? Does anyone know how well the first box sold?

Reportedly a limited edition of 10,000, and hasn't sold out yet.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Paulos
« Reply #721 on: January 10, 2012, 02:54:40 AM »

Reportedly a limited edition of 10,000, and hasn't sold out yet.

Probably not going to be a second one then! The ridiculous retail price probably didn't help things, it does look good though.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #722 on: January 10, 2012, 11:53:35 AM »

I guess at one point we'll get a live album from the reunion tour. I repeat myself, but it would be cool if there would be a second disc with the Chicago '65 concert. That way you'd have a live recording from their early and their (probably) last years. On the other hand the contrast might be too heavy.

Is anyone going to New Orleans for the first appearance after the Grammies ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #723 on: January 10, 2012, 12:03:27 PM »

it would be cool if there would be a second disc with the Chicago '65 concert. That way you'd have a live recording from their early and their (probably) last years. On the other hand the contrast might be too heavy.

Oh my no.  Like you said, doing such a thing would emphasize the huge difference in the two bands and it would be a huge shot in the foot.  The public is not going to want to hear a 2012 show when they have a '65 show in their hands.  The 2012 show would just be asking for a beating! 

But I do hope they put out a DVD of the tour....that almost is a requirement these days.
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #724 on: January 10, 2012, 12:14:28 PM »

Willing to bet they all have separate tour buses/transportation for the entirety of the tour.
The only times I bet they will see each other are in vocal rehearsals or right before the show.
I doubt they will be sharing individual dressing rooms too.

Whatever works though as long as the shows are top notch.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx