gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 07:30:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE BEACH BOYS ANNOUNCE 50TH ANNIVERSARY REUNION, NEW ALBUM AND TOUR  (Read 145261 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #300 on: December 17, 2011, 09:08:13 AM »

Wilson is producing the new album of originals, which is still being recorded. It will top a retrospective series that includes a new greatest-hits collection and a career-spanning box set, while the 50-date world tour (with dates to be announced) begins in April and includes a stop at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival. The Beach Boys remain the bestselling American band in the history of Neilsen/Soundscan for albums and singles.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2011/12/beach-boys-announce-50th-anniversary-reunion.html

Very good !

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 17, 2011, 09:35:32 AM »

Wait a second, Phil Cohen (great name by the way, say hi to Chet Morton for me), you're using TSS sales numbers as a reason that they won't release any more archival releases?  In the Rolling Stone article a couple weeks back about deluxe reissues, they mentioned that a similar reissue that moved 10,000 copies a couple of years ago is what started this boom in deluxe reissues.  TSS moved 18,000 of the high price-point set during the first couple of weeks on the market.   So it's sold over 8000 of something that was considered a smash success, before the Christmas shopping season even began. 

PhilCohen
« Reply #302 on: December 17, 2011, 10:22:04 AM »

I'm going to continue to stand my ground, despite the hostility towards me, and Mr.Doe's latest outburst of ridicule. As for those of you who would like to see each 1960's album expanded to a 2-CD set, be cautioned, that in many cases, the "Disc Two" would be very short.

Obviously, for those albums which had both a stereo & mono mix, "Disc One" could hold both the stereo & mono version quite easily, since many of these albums were 25 to 30 minutes. For those albums which have, until now, only been released in mono, "Disc One" could hold the mono version, plus stereo remixes of whatever songs can be remixed for stereo.

"Disc Two" could hold (originally) unreleased alternate arrangements & unreleased songs(I.E. the bonus tracks that were already released in the two-fer series or on previous archival projects such as "Hawthorne,Ca", "Endless Harmony Soundtrack", "Rarities" etc.), plus some session excerpts(all of which are backing track only, since The Beach Boys didn't add vocals until after satisfactory backing tracks had been achieved), and perhaps related, previously unreleased live concert versions of some of the songs.

Obviously, "Pet Sounds" has already been thoroughly explored, with mono, remixed stereo, remixed surround sound, plus session excerpts & 1960's alternate vocals mixes. And, of course, barring someone coming forward with lost tapes, "Smile" has also been thoroughly explored. Those two albums have been totally strip-mined. So, then we are talking about the following albums:
"Surfin' Safari"
"Surfin' U.S.A."
"Surfer Girl",
"Little Deuce Coupe"
"Shut Down Vol.2"
"All Summer Long"
"Beach Boys Concert"
"Beach Boys Christmas Album"
"The Beach Boys Today"
"Summer Days....and Summer Nights"
"Beach Boys Party"
"Smiley Smile"
"Wild Honey"
"Friends"
"20/20"

It would be quite difficult to even produce a 25 minute "Disc Two" for some of those albums. As for 1970's & 1980's albums, the amount of unreleased songs is much more plentiful, but many of them have no Brian Wilson involvement. In the 1990's, the late Paul Atkinson(ex-Zombies guitarist & then a Capitol executive) said that there were enough unreleased 1970's & 1980's Beach Boys songs to fill a 2-CD set.

As I've said, barring problems getting North American & European government permission for Universal Music's purchase of EMI's recorded music division(EMI's other properties, such as song publishing companies will be bought by Sony & Bertelsmann), a new owner(Universal) is coming in, and their attitude towards archival projects(that involve vault research & mixing expenses)  is much less collector-friendly than EMI. As it stands now, Universal has signed documents of intent to buy EMI, but the purchase is subject to regulatory approval on both sides of the Atlantic. As it stands now, EMI is still in limbo, reposessed and owned by Citicorp.

If you guys get thrills by stomping on me with hate, harassment & ridicule, then go for it. I won't be fazed.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 10:31:46 AM by PhilCohen » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 17, 2011, 10:33:22 AM »

I have just read Bakabaka's post about how it's weird that old men will be singing about bikinis etc like they are young again. I understand this point but when I saw them in July it didn't matter to me at all! Mike even made funny 'moves' towards me but as a woman in my 20s I just found it quite funny! I have to say that gig was probably the most fun I've had at a concert and I've been to some good ones! It's all about the music and the 'magic' of the Beach Boys. They still know how to put on a show so I don't care what they sing about!

If they want to tour, write and record again I am all for it. The music world is a much better place with the Beach Boys in it!

Preach it sister.  I went to a Mike show several years back, I've never seen so many different people having a good time, from babies to grandmas. 
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 17, 2011, 12:20:49 PM »

I await the remastered "Rollin' Up To Heaven"/"Teardrops On My Bed (Drip Drop)" single archival release!
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 17, 2011, 01:09:54 PM »

remember when Brian said he might not tour again!!!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: December 17, 2011, 01:30:26 PM »

Wouldn't it be kind of ironic if Brian stopped touring now and writes songs for the Beach Boys while they'll go on tour ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #307 on: December 17, 2011, 02:48:40 PM »

Wouldn't it be kind of ironic if Brian stopped touring now and writes songs for the Beach Boys while they'll go on tour ?

No, irony would be if Mike stopped touring to write songs whilst Brian went on the road

I take it you're American?  Evil
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 02:57:28 PM by Iron Horse-Apples » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 17, 2011, 02:57:27 PM »

No, irony would be if Mike stopped touring to right songs whilst Brian went on the road

I take it you're American?

Some Americans do understand the actual meaning of "ironic."

It _literally_ kills me when people mess it up. Hee hee.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #309 on: December 17, 2011, 03:01:00 PM »

No, irony would be if Mike stopped touring to right songs whilst Brian went on the road

I take it you're American?

Some Americans do understand the actual meaning of "ironic."

It _literally_ kills me when people mess it up. Hee hee.

But also note I corrected my spelling mistakes.

Smug English bastard mocks American's misuse of irony, whilst making grammatical errors. Ironic? Not sure.......
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 17, 2011, 03:09:55 PM »

It's like rain on your wedding day ...

No. No, it isn't like that at all.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 17, 2011, 03:21:24 PM »

No, irony would be if Mike stopped touring to write songs whilst Brian went on the road

I take it you're American?  Evil

Alanis Morisette was Canadian. 
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 17, 2011, 03:29:36 PM »

I may have missed it in the thread somewhere but was there mention of when tour tickets are going to be available?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #313 on: December 17, 2011, 03:32:16 PM »

I may have missed it in the thread somewhere but was there mention of when tour tickets are going to be available?

Not for me to say, really, but I'm guessing it'll be after the shows are booked.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 17, 2011, 03:41:04 PM »

Is it just me or does anybody else get the feeling that after all those years of dumb decisions and blown opportunities the guys have really got their sh*t together over the past few years? The Mike and Bruce Show have upped their game big time, Al's stopped tinkering endlessly with his solo effort and finally put it out, Brian is singing better (on record) then he has for decades, the lawsuits have stopped, everyone's on good terms again, The Smile Sessions was a fantastic success and now a reformed classic lineup with a new Brian produced album in the works and live shows promised to celebrate the 50 years anniversary, plus hints of a decent back catalogue reappraisal.
Did they collectively wake up one morning and realise "We're the F*cking Beach Boys and we rock!" or what?

Well, I hope that they realised through the internet how much they disappointed their fans and that there are people who care about the Beach Boys. The fact that some heavily involved people are reading this message board might have helped too. Just remember that in the first interview Mike talked about the 50th anniversary and a reunion he mentioned an all star concert. All hell broke lose here and soon there wasn't any more talk about it. I do hope that some ideas we have mentioned here got caught up for the celebrations.

I hope Brian's (and the boys') vocals will be as excellent as on BWRG ITKOD and TLOS.

I am also thinking a good deal of thought has gone into this and perhaps Capitol has put someone in charge. Its early days but a rerecording, video to come, well worded press release and talk of reissues. I like the artwork with not a surfboard or bikini featured which hints some effort may be made to highlight the bands non-beach work over the summer hits for once. Capitol may also see potential for a new live album/ concert DVD.

My hope now is for a outsider to be involved in the concert production. The various factions have lifted their games in the presentation of the music live thanks to Brians band who started it. We don't want tacky but a well thought out concert covering more than just the hits could be amazing.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: December 17, 2011, 03:53:40 PM »

It would be great to see the guys play a big stadium or Madsion Square Garden..

They could easily sell them out

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 17, 2011, 03:59:16 PM »

My hope now is for a outsider to be involved in the concert production.

I'll think you'll find said person has already been mentioned as a participant in the project.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 17, 2011, 04:05:58 PM »

Amazing...  The full article actually remembered Carl & Dennis.  Guess there wasn't enough space here:

The Beach Boys announce 50th anniversary reunion

December 16, 2011

For years, there have been the Beach Boys, and there has been Brian Wilson, and the two rarely intersected. The pioneering SoCal pop group was so influential to pop that it was, and is, widely regarded as America's answer to the Beatles. But Wilson's involvement with the band waxed and waned over the decades, and more recently his role has been nonexistent while he resurrected such long-delayed projects as "Smile" (which the Beach Boys also revisited this year with the well received box set, "The Smile Sessions) and a solo album "That Lucky Old Sun."

Until now. The band confirmed speculation that all surviving members of the Beach Boys' mid-'60s lineup -- Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston and David Marks -- will reunite for the band's 50th anniversary with a world tour and a new album on Capitol in 2012.

Wilson is producing the new album of originals, which is still being recorded. It will top a retrospective series that includes a new greatest-hits collection and a career-spanning box set, while the 50-date world tour (with dates to be announced) begins in April and includes a stop at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival. The Beach Boys remain the bestselling American band in the history of Neilsen/Soundscan for albums and singles.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2011/12/beach-boys-announce-50th-anniversary-reunion.html

They're starting the tour in April and also playing the Jazz fest, or they're opening the tour at the Jazz Fest.
So, which is it? Or will we have to wait before we find out the real dates? 
Myself I don't want to spend $975 each for the Big Chief VIP Experience, unless I KNOW it's their FIRST show.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 17, 2011, 04:08:28 PM »

I hate to be negative, but I live in Los Angeles and it's quite far from New Orleans. Does anyone want to place a bet on whether or not the tour will implode before it reaches the West Coast?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #319 on: December 17, 2011, 04:16:34 PM »

They're starting the tour in April and also playing the Jazz fest, or they're opening the tour at the Jazz Fest.
Myself I don't want to spend $975 each for the Big Chief VIP Experience, unless I KNOW it's their FIRST show.

From the official announcement (emphasis for the hard of comprehending mine):

"... a 50-date international tour to begin in April with a headlining performance at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival "

Sh*t, even I can understand that, and everyone knows how stupid I am.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 04:18:04 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 17, 2011, 04:20:53 PM »

Geeeeeeez.  And I thought I was............

Ah, never mind.  Roll Eyes

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 17, 2011, 04:22:10 PM »

From the official announcement (emphasis for the hard of comprehending mine):

"... a 50-date international tour to begin in April with a headlining performance at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival "

Sh*t, even I can understand that, and everyone knows how stupid I am.

Sorry, my bad, Yoda.
What does "hard of comprehending mine" really mean?

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 17, 2011, 04:25:37 PM »

My hope now is for a outsider to be involved in the concert production.

I'll think you'll find said person has already been mentioned as a participant in the project.

Re-read the release on page 1 and I can't see it?  Huh
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 17, 2011, 04:30:13 PM »

I hate to be negative, but I live in Los Angeles and it's quite far from New Orleans. Does anyone want to place a bet on whether or not the tour will implode before it reaches the West Coast?

Sh!t. You are starting to sound like Phil!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 17, 2011, 04:47:35 PM »

Sh!t. You are starting to sound like Phil!

The tour actually starts April 1st, with a very exclusive, by invitation only performance, in the auditorium at:
National Council of Negro Women
3720 West 54th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90043-2307
On the corner of 54th and Mullen (off Crenshaw Blvd.)

Site of their Jan. 25th , 1962 "Surf Nite" performance ( there's a ticket from that show for sale on Ebay)

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 30 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx