gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 04:27:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE BEACH BOYS ANNOUNCE 50TH ANNIVERSARY REUNION, NEW ALBUM AND TOUR  (Read 145413 times)
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 17, 2011, 01:20:59 AM »

I tell you what would top this amazing news?, AGD & Fishmonk together at one of the concerts nxt year dancing & hugging each other LOL. Surely with everything good that's happened in the Beach Boys world over the last few years everyone will become brothers. Come on AGD & Fishmonk feel the love LOL.

That's what's great about The Beach Boys and the fan community. To be serious for a second, I've never had much of a feeling of fraternity in my life. I've never really had a particularly close relationship with my own family, I don't have any brothers, and I've always had a habit of being sort of an outsider in life. I think that's what makes the beach boys so great for me, the sort of brotherly love that's in all the music, that makes me feel connected to the rest of the world, like I'm a very small part of that brotherly love that the Beach Boys share with everyone through their music. And that extends to everyone here, I very often feel like Andrew is the biggest lout in the entire world, but if I ever saw him walking down the street, I would take him by the arm and lead him into the nearest bar and buy him drinks until we were were arm in arm drunkenly singing Tears In The Morning.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 17, 2011, 01:32:12 AM »

Phil seems to be an obsessive compulsive denier. With a habit of trying to come across as a knowledgable commentator, when in fact he's just party to the same press releases as the rest of us. Still, it's a free world.

Phil, lighten up and share the moment with the rest of us, at its face value. Let yourself smile! Wink
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 01:33:59 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 17, 2011, 01:35:32 AM »

Late logging on today but great news when I did.

As a big fan of the Brother years and logo I am very impressed with the 50th artwork we have seen and will be wearing that logo on official merchandise as soon as someone makes it available.

Nice job and good luck to all involved in the 50th next year.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: December 17, 2011, 01:35:43 AM »

I tell you what would top this amazing news?, AGD & Fishmonk together at one of the concerts nxt year dancing & hugging each other LOL. Surely with everything good that's happened in the Beach Boys world over the last few years everyone will become brothers. Come on AGD & Fishmonk feel the love LOL.

That's what's great about The Beach Boys and the fan community. To be serious for a second, I've never had much of a feeling of fraternity in my life. I've never really had a particularly close relationship with my own family, I don't have any brothers, and I've always had a habit of being sort of an outsider in life. I think that's what makes the beach boys so great for me, the sort of brotherly love that's in all the music, that makes me feel connected to the rest of the world, like I'm a very small part of that brotherly love that the Beach Boys share with everyone through their music. And that extends to everyone here, I very often feel like Andrew is the biggest lout in the entire world, but if I ever saw him walking down the street, I would take him by the arm and lead him into the nearest bar and buy him drinks until we were were arm in arm drunkenly singing Tears In The Morning.

Exactly so. Over here in the UK we're lucky because geography allows regular fan gatherings and the sense of community is astonishing: to be in a room with a couple of hundred others knowing they're all as terminally afflicted as you are is close to a healing experience, if only for a few hours (as a sidebar, apparently in person I'm a really nice guy, or so I'm told. Go figure).

That's one reason why the likes of Cohen piss me off so much - the instant negativity. Yes, I'll pick holes in the new product, we all will, 'cause that's what we do, but we'll also celebrate the great bits. Balance, I believe it's called. This is great, great news, so let's celebrate, anticipate, and bitch when the time comes.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 17, 2011, 01:37:39 AM »

(as a sidebar, apparently in person I'm a really nice guy, or so I'm told. Go figure)

I'm skeptical, to say the least!  Grin

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #255 on: December 17, 2011, 01:39:19 AM »

OK, just for you I'll carry on being a grinch.  BTW, check your inbox.

D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 17, 2011, 01:41:12 AM »

There's been very little discussion about the proposed box set and other archival releases, though as Mark Linett has said, whether they happen is up to EMI's new owner. Anyhow, we recently got a 5-CD "Smile" box, and many other archival releases(official & unofficial) over the years. If there are more archival releases in 2012, I'll buy 'em, but if EMI's new owner says "No", I won't get tormented. Promise.

Phil, your secret's out - you can't read, can you ? Look at the OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE again, or get someone to read it to you, properly this time. We're getting...

A new hits compilation...

A new career-spanning box set...

Other new commemorative releases.

This isn't if/but/maybe. Like they said about TSS, it's happening. And despite your best (in fact, utterly pathetic) efforts, TSS did happen. Stop pissing on everyone's fire, go over to the Bloo and join in the unison bleating over there.

Like I said, them as can't be positive about this initial news, STFU and go away. We can begin the picking when we have more details.

Mr.Doe,

You seem to be unaware of the Mark Linett/Alan Boyd interviews at a website called "Icon Fetch", where Mr.Linett was asked about future projects, and he did say that the status of such projects depends on EMI's new owners.

Flag on the play right there - you're wrong. As usual. And, uh, if you're going to try to be patronising & condescending, let me tell you that, as a past master of that arcane art, your attempt is pitiful.

This 50th anniversary program (as announced) didn't suddenly emerge from a recent meeting of the principals: like TSS, I'm betting the whole 50th thing (tour, Smile, new box, new album etc...) has been in the works for months and, as they did with Smile, Capitol wouldn't risk ridicule by announcing something that's not going to happen. Also, remember that Capitol gave the OK to expand TSS from three to five CDs.

And Phil, you should be doing a small jig of joy - for once, something's been announced a goodly way in advance... oh, no, I forgot. Of course, now there's going to be a clampdown on any news (hopefully the ears I've whispered in will do just that, and thereby bug the piss out of you, which was my sole intent*).

Once again, we've had a hugely exciting announcement and you weigh in with with overwhelmingly negative comments. We know you can't think well of anything like this, been there before, and all had a good yuck when every last thing you cast doubt on came to happen. Seriously, go over to the Bloo, I gather there are folk of like mind. Just leave us to enjoy what's happening right now: we'll start dissecting it later, it what we do... but the difference is, we tend to wait until we have the material to hand as opposed to wailing it'll never happen.

[* OK, that's a lie, but if I could I damn well would  Grin]
Well said, AGD !

Also I would've thought that Universal would only be delighted at the prospect of revenue associated with the Beach Boys' 50th anniversary - archival releases, box sets, reissues, etc. So I'd say that it's more likely than not that we'll see a veritable buzz of BB-related product and activity in 2012...quit with the negativity, bring it on, can't wait (too long  Smiley ) !!!
Sie W
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 17, 2011, 01:49:53 AM »

This is great news, hoping that the may be at least one song by Mike in the style of "Cool Head,Warm Heart" my favourite of the 3 tracks on Songs From Here & Back.

Also hope that Matt and Christian are with the touring band next year, keep it in the family!
Hell get Justyn in as well!!!

Bring on 2012!
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 17, 2011, 02:03:28 AM »

Yes well said Fishmonk, And I like to add that we all have are ups and downs in life. But since joining this board no matter what happens to me I know that their are still some good people in this world. Some of them have been very kind to me esp in giving me the chance to hear the whole of The 5cd Smile Sessions box set  Grin. The fan mixes from some of the guys on here are truely amazing too. We are all very lucky that so many great things are happening in the Beach Boys world Smiley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: December 17, 2011, 02:05:05 AM »

Jesus, they just announced the tour & album on my local radio station news (96.4 The Eagle, based in Guildford) !  I just about fell off my chair laughing.  LOL

letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 17, 2011, 02:13:49 AM »

Exactly so. Over here in the UK we're lucky because geography allows regular fan gatherings and the sense of community is astonishing: to be in a room with a couple of hundred others knowing they're all as terminally afflicted as you are is close to a healing experience, if only for a few hours (as a sidebar, apparently in person I'm a really nice guy, or so I'm told. Go figure).

That's one reason why the likes of Cohen piss me off so much - the instant negativity. Yes, I'll pick holes in the new product, we all will, 'cause that's what we do, but we'll also celebrate the great bits. Balance, I believe it's called. This is great, great news, so let's celebrate, anticipate, and bitch when the time comes.
Andrew your the reason why im on here LOL. I googled your name and it linked me to this board, and because I enjoyed reading your book, then your comments & I had to join.
How about organising a get together for any fans who will see The Beach Boys in London. I would like to meet you and anyone else on this board, swap stories, etc. I've never done any fans meetings before and would love to attend any  Grin.
Sie W
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 17, 2011, 02:18:16 AM »

Eagle FM these guys have 'The Love Crew' who go out promoting them!! Andrew hope you got your' Love' sticker in the rear window!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 02:19:37 AM by ThePiedPiper » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: December 17, 2011, 02:23:42 AM »

Andrew your the reason why im on here LOL. I googled your name and it linked me to this board, and because I enjoyed reading your book, then your comments & I had to join.
How about organising a get together for any fans who will see The Beach Boys in London. I would like to meet you and anyone else on this board, swap stories, etc. I've never done any fans meetings before and would love to attend any  Grin.

Dammit man, where were you in September ? Dude called Wilson played the RFH.  Literally dozens of fans turned up. LOL

For sure, when the London/UK dates are announced, something will be arranged. Hopefully someone's got some smarts and doesn't schedule any London date for either June 2nd to 5th (Diamond Jubilee weekend) or July 27th to August 12th (Olympic Games).

Or when a friend who posts here is getting married.  Grin

Edit: this just popped up on my FB page. The very first Stomp Convention in Exeter, August 11th 1979.

Standing: Gerard Hubert, Dave Savagar, AGD, Roy Gudge, Mike Grant, Ann-Michelle Bowerman, Max Cripps, Eddy Feiken, Chris Metcalfe, John Porteous, Liz Smith & friend, Jaki Rothery.
Front row: Andrew Bainborough, Trevor Childs, Terry Needham & friend.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 02:36:14 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 17, 2011, 02:28:06 AM »

I fail to understand the irrational hatred of Jeffery Foskett around here.

I don't think anyone hates him, but some of us are tired of hearing his voice mixed up front so prominently... Plus Christian just plain has a better Wilson sound (for obvious reasons).

Christian can't sing those parts. Period.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 17, 2011, 02:33:35 AM »

How about organising a get together for any fans who will see The Beach Boys in London. I would like to meet you and anyone else on this board, swap stories, etc. I've never done any fans meetings before and would love to attend any  Grin.

Dammit man, where were you in September ? Dude called Wilson played the RFH.  Literally dozens of fans turned up. LOL

For sure, when the London/UK dates are announced, something will be arranged. Hopefully someone's got some smarts and doesn't schedule any London date for either June 2nd to 5th (Diamond Jubilee weekend) or July 27th to August 12th (Olympic Games).

I wish I was there Andrew, But I'd lost my job & very nearly was made homeless during the Summer Sad. It's been a nightmare year for me during 2011, But thankfully I'm now back on my feet with a new job and still in my rented home thank God Smiley. 2012 is going to be a great year, 200yrs of Charles Dickens birth, Reforming of the Stone Roses, Beach Boys. Bring it on!!! Grin
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: December 17, 2011, 02:39:24 AM »

Dammit man, where were you in September ? Dude called Wilson played the RFH.  Literally dozens of fans turned up. LOL

I wish I was there Andrew, But I'd lost my job & very nearly was made homeless during the Summer Sad. It's been a nightmare year for me during 2011, But thankfully I'm now back on my feet with a new job and still in my rented home thank God Smiley. 2012 is going to be a great year, 200yrs of Charles Dickens birth, Reforming of the Stone Roses, Beach Boys. Bring it on!!! Grin

Also 150th anniversary of Silver Billy Beldham's death !

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 17, 2011, 02:39:35 AM »

Eddie Bayers definitely played the drums on Do It Again and David wasn't there, which means at least some of this footage is not from that session.

BUT WHATEVER! Why are we getting so nitpicky so early? the Beach Boys are back! I'm half thinking of making the trip to New Orleans just so I can see their debut reunion performance.

Are we sure there was only one session for the song? Maybe they made two different attemtps?

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 17, 2011, 02:40:51 AM »

Also 150th anniversary of Silver Billy Beldham's death !
Who is he Andrew??
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #268 on: December 17, 2011, 02:46:00 AM »

Wikipedia is your friend.  Grin

letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 17, 2011, 02:50:26 AM »

Wikipedia is your friend.  Grin
"William ("Silver Billy") Beldham (5 February 1766, Wrecclesham, near Farnham, Surrey – 20 February 1862, Tilford, Surrey) was an English professional cricketer who is widely acknowledged as one of the greatest batsmen of the sport's underarm era. In 1997, he was selected by John Woodcock of The Times as one of his 100 Greatest Cricketers of All Time." Thank you Wikipedia  Grin
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #270 on: December 17, 2011, 03:21:31 AM »

Wikipedia is your friend.  Grin
"William ("Silver Billy") Beldham (5 February 1766, Wrecclesham, near Farnham, Surrey – 20 February 1862, Tilford, Surrey) was an English professional cricketer who is widely acknowledged as one of the greatest batsmen of the sport's underarm era. In 1997, he was selected by John Woodclock of The Times as one of his 100 Greatest Cricketers of All Time." Thank you Wikipedia  Grin

And thank you, me.  LOL

Now, how 'bout dem Beach Boys, eh ?

vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 17, 2011, 03:37:33 AM »

Wait a minute, is Phil Cohen slamming or naysaying again? I don't have time to read all 11 pages of this thread.
Phil man, chill out be cool,

The knowledge, cleverness and attention to arcane detail, has me impressed with this board. You guys
know everything about every record, concert, you name it. You know all the personal details and history
everything, its flabbergasting.

But what I don't get, presumably, this is a Beach Boy forum, so I assume if someone comes here, they like
the Beach Boys, and the solo albums, and would be delighted about a new studio album! A tour, additional
archival releases! WOW!

So many people were negative about SMiLE coming out, and now people are getting negative about the new
album, the reunion in general, the tour, why ? It makes no sense?

The surviving Beach Boys are all pushing 70, two of the Beach Boys are dead, but the surviving (5) members are making
a new album with new material! Holy Cow!  Listen these guys arguably were in their musical prime between say 1964-73
no one is expecting an album as good as Pet Sounds or SmiLE, but its a gift! Holy Cow! one more album! WOW

Now I can understand if you quibble about, well Joe Thomas is a lousy producer, or a great producer, or Jeff Fosket should be included
or not, or Mike Love was a good lyricist (for the Beach Boys) or just a very lucky guy. I mean discussion is cool, opinions vary, I never heard of
Joe Thomas except for the Imagination album, I thought the album was sort of bloated, but I thought the Title cut, and "She says that she needs me
were great tracks even worthy of the great Beach Boy albums, So yeah discussion is good, but this whole, oh it's not gonna happen, this sucks
this is the same stuff that was said about SMiLE and its one of the great archival releases ever, it came out and its great! Maybe one of the greatest
albums ever made, even though it wasn't quite finished, now you can hear it! Hurrah! Officially all shiny and clean with liner notes and packaging,

I also understand there is the Brian Wilson faction and the Mike Love faction, I don't really see what the debate is about, the only debate would be
this, The Beach Boys were all great singers, and they could all write a decent tune now and then, but the only one who is a genius or great composer
is Brian, the only debate really would be, was Mike Love just lucky to write lyrics to those songs, could anyone off the street have done as well, or is
Love a bit underappreciated, and a bit more talented than he is sometimes given credit for. The other thing would be, was he really that much of a narrow
minded redneck dope who terrorized Brian Wilson, or is he unfairly maligned.

Most of the most iconic legendary groups can't do a reunion, the Beach Boys sort of can, although obviously without Carl Wilson
especially, and his brother to some extent, its not as great as it could have been. This is a great thing, if the album sucks, we haven't lost anything
if it's average or better, its to be cherished one more album from the guys. I much prefer this to a Wilson solo album of covers. I want to hear some
new tunes, I wish one of them good be as great as God Only Knows, or Good Vibrations, I'd say that's almost impossible, but one can hope

Mr Doe I wanna know about the new material!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 17, 2011, 03:43:49 AM »

Better sound here for the new DIA re-recording IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQd1wz3d5nc
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: December 17, 2011, 03:56:54 AM »

Better sound here for the new DIA re-recording IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQd1wz3d5nc

Listen to this. Do you hear what I hear ?

The Beach Boys.  Grin

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 17, 2011, 04:03:11 AM »

Looking forward to the full song now and video. Now with the announcement we may not have to wait too long.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 30 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx