gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680772 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 01:07:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wow...Mike, Al and Dave Reunion!  (Read 39657 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: December 13, 2011, 01:21:25 PM »

Al doesn't tour enough to do Smile material and what songs on Smile do Mike & Bruce sing lead on? They do sing Good Vibrations. Wink This to any of our friends in the U.K. and the rest of Europe: Do Mike & Bruce play Heroes and Villains when they tour there?

They do. Or at least they did this year.

Included due to the (then) forthcoming box, I understand.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 13, 2011, 01:27:16 PM »

Al doesn't tour enough to do Smile material and what songs on Smile do Mike & Bruce sing lead on? They do sing Good Vibrations. Wink This to any of our friends in the U.K. and the rest of Europe: Do Mike & Bruce play Heroes and Villains when they tour there?

A shrewd move on their part. But pleasant nonetheless.
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 13, 2011, 01:34:36 PM »

David never seems to complain about how he got screwed by Murry.  He seemingly, suffered in silence. 

Unlike Mike who always seemed to be whining how he wrote this and that and didn't get a writing credit.  I imagine, back in the day, David came up with an original lick or two but would never make a claim against Brian over songwriting credits.

There are certain ways of handling things in life and David always seems to take the high road.

Well when you write lyrics for major hits like "California Girls" and not get any songwriting credit, I imagine you'd be a little sour about it too. 

Sure, Murry screwed Mike too.  But ALL those interviews by Mike.  But he also made claims for songs he had little to do with - ie: Pet Sounds album.  Taking the high road is not suing for a song credit you suggest two words for.

My point is, unlike Mike and Pete Best, David didn't take to the press to wage a campaign of whining.  And Lord knows David did a million times more than Pete Best.
And as Jon points out, David could have sued Brian for some credits and didn't.

But yes, certainly Mike deserves his "California Girls" credit.  But the guy was suing over everything.  Even Brian recording Smile.

Pete Best sued Brian?Huh   Shocked
No, but he's been calling press conferences lately complaining about your lack of wit on this board  Razz
I'm confused does this mean David Sued the Beatles? if so did Mike Love sue himself? and if so did he win? why did Pete Best sue Brian? was it because the beach boys released an album called "the best of the beach boys?" it's so confusing..Did a lady named Sue  sue Johnny cash for singing "A boy named sue"? I just don't understand..

Still trying to sort all this out, but I do know that in December 1970 Dirk sued Stig and Nasty, Barry sued Dirk, Nasty sued Stig and Barry, and Stig sued himself accidentally!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 13, 2011, 01:35:36 PM »

For the type of show that they do, besides the two songs I mentioned there is only maybe two songs that they could add; Wonderful and Vega-Tables. The rest would kind of be out of place.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: December 13, 2011, 01:44:24 PM »

Might be hard to not include Kokomo in any FULL concert set list… has Brian ever sung that with the BBs band?

Yes he has, but I can't remember when or where.

It sounds like he's singing it on the Hallmark live cd that came out a few years ago.  Either Brian's singing, or somebody with a shrill, out of key voice is singing in the harmony the entire time. 

OOOOHHH I WANNA TAKE YA!!!!!!
Of course Brian's sung it, he played with the touring band a handful of times between the song's release and Carl's death. He's also on the Spanish language studio recording.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 13, 2011, 02:06:52 PM »

Of course Brian's sung it, he played with the touring band a handful of times between the song's release and Carl's death. He's also on the Spanish language studio recording.
[/quote]

I have always wondered how Brian was allowed to be a part of Kokomo on the Spanish version. Was Landy allowed to be  a co/writer or producer as Mike claimed he demanded on the Endless Harmony documentary?
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 13, 2011, 02:58:46 PM »

LOL
David never seems to complain about how he got screwed by Murry.  He seemingly, suffered in silence. 

Unlike Mike who always seemed to be whining how he wrote this and that and didn't get a writing credit.  I imagine, back in the day, David came up with an original lick or two but would never make a claim against Brian over songwriting credits.

There are certain ways of handling things in life and David always seems to take the high road.

Well when you write lyrics for major hits like "California Girls" and not get any songwriting credit, I imagine you'd be a little sour about it too. 

Sure, Murry screwed Mike too.  But ALL those interviews by Mike.  But he also made claims for songs he had little to do with - ie: Pet Sounds album.  Taking the high road is not suing for a song credit you suggest two words for.

My point is, unlike Mike and Pete Best, David didn't take to the press to wage a campaign of whining.  And Lord knows David did a million times more than Pete Best.
And as Jon points out, David could have sued Brian for some credits and didn't.

But yes, certainly Mike deserves his "California Girls" credit.  But the guy was suing over everything.  Even Brian recording Smile.

Pete Best sued Brian?Huh   Shocked
No, but he's been calling press conferences lately complaining about your lack of wit on this board  Razz
I'm confused does this mean David Sued the Beatles? if so did Mike Love sue himself? and if so did he win? why did Pete Best sue Brian? was it because the beach boys released an album called "the best of the beach boys?" it's so confusing..Did a lady named Sue  sue Johnny cash for singing "A boy named sue"? I just don't understand..

It's amazing the degree of reading comprehension problems some exhibit on this board.  Let me help - Go back to Jon's post on songs David could have claimed a writer's credit on and start over.  Read s-l-o-w-l-y.

If you' and Awesoman are still confused, email me and I'll spell it out for you in great detail.  Apparently this simple analogy contrasting famous rock 'whiners' and those who conduct themselves with dignity is too difficult  a concept for you two.

The real question is are you guys in some 'bald men who always wear hats club' and worship Mike Love as your leader?  Cool Guy
Yes..he is our leader from the mother ship..we have been sent to warn people of the  plan to take over the world by Donald Trumps hair ..BALD MEN UNITE!!!!

I knew it   LOL

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Keri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 13, 2011, 09:47:26 PM »

... even then some of the best singing was Brian's...

Yawn!
... (I don't agree all the best singing was Brian)

Yawn!

Disagree with what i say rather than what you think I say. The fact that i don't think so highly of a lot of the Beach Boys lyrics and my favourite album is definitely not Holland might have something to do with our different perspectives.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 14, 2011, 12:09:28 AM »

My apologies for misreading that part of your reply.

We can agree that it is all about perspective. From our individual perspectives, where we are coming from makes sense. The fact that Brian wrote so much of their classic stuff and sang so many great leads from that era, does not in and of itself dictate that myself nor anyone else must feel that he is deserving of The Beach Boys legacy over the other members hands-down, no argument! For someone like myself, who's favorite albums are Holland, and who loves MIU, LA, Kokomo: there is a slightly different perspective at work. I think it pays to understand and consider that there are fans who share other perspectives than yours (or better yet, share both perspectives) and it is easy to see how the rattling off of Brian's accomplishments as proof against a conflicting perspective can be tiresome.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 14, 2011, 04:13:29 PM »

Did someone say the Olympic Games??

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/dec/14/beach-boys-reunion-rumours-resurface?newsfeed=true

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: December 14, 2011, 04:36:31 PM »

Next up, Al Jardine reveals that The Beach Boys may reunite for a concert on the moon.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 14, 2011, 04:50:51 PM »

Next up, Al Jardine reveals that The Beach Boys may reunite for a concert on the moon.
In transit as we speak.. to Mars

Ground control to Major mike

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 14, 2011, 06:25:41 PM »

Been there, done that. LA 84 for the athletes gig. Spoke to one years ago who was there and said it was great.

London? Sorry Al. I'll eat Mikes hat if it happens.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: December 15, 2011, 01:27:33 AM »

What I like about it, is that Al does think in big terms. Not just county fairs or something but really big events. That would be fitting for the Beach Boys. If it will happen is another thing

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 15, 2011, 02:26:17 AM »

Why does Al feel the need to jump the gun..

It seems the whole thing is in very early stages yet he's out there yapping to Rolling Stone

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: December 15, 2011, 02:30:41 AM »

Why does Al feel the need to jump the gun..

It seems the whole thing is in very early stages yet he's out there yapping to Rolling Stone

Maybe there's an agenda we're not aware of.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: December 15, 2011, 02:33:48 AM »

In 2006 Al said that they would play the Pet Sounds album in it's entirety. Of course no one knew about that but after the rooftop reunion at least Al got to join Brian for the Pet Sounds tour. So, maybe there actually is an agenda

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 15, 2011, 06:46:37 AM »

Al reminds me of a lot of modern day rappers.  They're constantly stating all these projects they're working on, they've got this album coming out, they're in the studio with so and so, and then nothing ever comes out.  In rap, it happens constantly.  Dr. Dre's been working on 1 album for 10 years now.  He's been saying for 10 years this album is coming out.  So on and so on.

It's fascinating, I think they probably talk about a lot of ideas and come up with a lot of creative stuff, but don't get into the business and money details of it, so it never happens.

So perhaps, Al just repeats what's been knocked around a little bit, before any of the business or money details have been hammered out.  He's said in the past you know they're going to do do 50 dates or even more, there's no way in HELL Brian is going to get on stage with those guys more than a handful of times, it's just not going to happen. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: December 15, 2011, 07:48:22 AM »

Al reminds me of a lot of modern day rappers.  They're constantly stating all these projects they're working on, they've got this album coming out, they're in the studio with so and so, and then nothing ever comes out.  In rap, it happens constantly.  Dr. Dre's been working on 1 album for 10 years now.  He's been saying for 10 years this album is coming out.  So on and so on.

It's fascinating, I think they probably talk about a lot of ideas and come up with a lot of creative stuff, but don't get into the business and money details of it, so it never happens.

So perhaps, Al just repeats what's been knocked around a little bit, before any of the business or money details have been hammered out.  He's said in the past you know they're going to do do 50 dates or even more, there's no way in HELL Brian is going to get on stage with those guys more than a handful of times, it's just not going to happen. 

Care to lay a small wager ?  Smiley

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 15, 2011, 08:43:14 AM »

Now I have faith something is going to happen

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: December 15, 2011, 09:30:49 AM »

Sounds even more like The Beach Boys than those rappers  Wink

- Jack Rieley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 15, 2011, 11:09:17 AM »

I'd be game, how many dates are we talking and what would the wager be?  Essentially I'd be betting against something cool happening though, that might not be a good idea. 
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 15, 2011, 12:49:03 PM »

And yet, there is always the slight possibility that Al Jardine may actually know something that we don't. 

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 15, 2011, 01:11:42 PM »

Must be a b!tch trying to put this thing together. It's pretty much been a Mike project for the last dozen plus years. Bookings, negotiations etc. Now it appears to have grown again which could be why nothing has been announced.

Remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRwu-wItxA4

Promoters, insurance companies and anyone else putting up money must surely be wary given not only Brian's BB touring history but the fact Mike, Al, Brian and Bruce will all be in their 70s next year. If Dave is involved his health may also be of concern plus Bruce had a by-pass several years ago.

Interesting times.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: December 15, 2011, 01:34:05 PM »

Must be a b!tch trying to put this thing together. It's pretty much been a Mike project for the last dozen plus years. Bookings, negotiations etc. Now it appears to have grown again which could be why nothing has been announced.

Remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRwu-wItxA4

Promoters, insurance companies and anyone else putting up money must surely be wary given not only Brian's BB touring history but the fact Mike, Al, Brian and Bruce will all be in their 70s next year. If Dave is involved his health may also be of concern plus Bruce had a by-pass several years ago.

Interesting times.

One, why "if"... and two, I'd wager that David right now is probably healthier than at least two or the others.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx