gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681290 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 01, 2024, 04:18:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Over and Over, The Crow Cries, Uncover the Cornfield".  (Read 3684 times)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2011, 07:04:29 PM »

Every time i hear Mike Love sing that in the end of cabin essence it's like i'm hypnotized  Huh
Can someone explain to me what it means? Out Of All The Beach Boys Catchy Melodies This one Sticks In My Head Alot...
What is the history of this song?
sidewinder572
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 07:29:50 PM »

The ending to Cabin Essence is mind boggling. To quote a review off of rateyourmusic.com "...yeah, that part will make the hairs on a corpse stand on end"
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 07:49:36 PM »

The ending to Cabin Essence is mind boggling. To quote a review off of rateyourmusic.com "...yeah, that part will make the hairs on a corpse stand on end"
It Really Does It's So Amazing :] I Wonder If I'm The Only One That Feels So Captivated Ny The Ending.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 07:59:35 PM »

The Piano Countermelody is freaking amazing, and I think the effect done on Mike's voice may just have been overdubbing an almost exact vocal track over the lead?

EDIT: Just Listened, he sings VERY SLIGHTLY out of tune on one overdub on "over and over the crow cries.." then comes back in to phase with the other on "uncover the cornfield"

That's how I got that effect...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 08:01:37 PM by FatherOfTheMan » Logged

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 08:49:32 PM »

The Piano Countermelody is freaking amazing, and I think the effect done on Mike's voice may just have been overdubbing an almost exact vocal track over the lead?

EDIT: Just Listened, he sings VERY SLIGHTLY out of tune on one overdub on "over and over the crow cries.." then comes back in to phase with the other on "uncover the cornfield"

That's how I got that effect...
wow i didnt notice that til you mentioned it Smiley fascinating. thanks much
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 11:52:53 PM »

Can someone explain to me what it means? 

I don't know what it means, it's not important, throw it away!

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 12:23:22 AM »

You Don't Like That Part Of The Song?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 12:47:58 AM »

It's a reference to a 1976 VDP interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB6JwCmTIEw[/color]]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB6JwCmTIEw

This is the kind of thing we say without thinking, knowing that everyone will understand. You're swimming with big fish here.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
John Stivaktas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 02:35:54 AM »

What does it mean? Try here.

"It's more blessed to give than receive"

“For me, making music has always been a very spiritual thing, and I think anybody who produces records has to feel that, at least a little bit. Producing a record . . . the idea of taking a song, envisioning the overall sound in my head and then bringing the arrangement to life in the studio . . . well, that gives me satisfaction like nothing else.”

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 03:56:31 AM »

Every time i hear Mike Love sing that in the end of cabin essence it's like i'm hypnotized  Huh
Can someone explain to me what it means? Out Of All The Beach Boys Catchy Melodies This one Sticks In My Head Alot...
What is the history of this song?

Thanks for dropping by Mike, interesting question. I'm goin to pass that one over to our friend Van for an explanation. Van, care to enlighten us?

“We live in divisive times.”
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 06:07:19 AM »

When you get to the place where you like all of the beach boys, including Mike, you start to see Mike as slightly cool, even despite himself.  So when he comes in singing that famous line, it is pretty bad-ass.  Makes the hair stand up on my arm sometimes.  No matter whether he liked it or not, he did his job like a trooper. 

Brian had this awesome way of using Mike's voice to compliment everything he did, by contrasting with it.  The entire song is sung beautifully, and nobody would accuse Mike of singing beautifully (at least on THAT song)... but there he is, right in the middle of it... and it sounds great.

He did the same thing on God Only Knows, if my ears are correct.  Beautifully sang song, beautiful backing vocals, achingly beautiful lead by Carl, and then on the bridge, you have Mike with the "Bom baaa baa ba ba baaaa, baaaa, bom ba baaa, baaa, ba.... "

Sticks out like a sore thumb, but somehow sounds great and works perfectly.  Mike had just enough swagger in his voice to make it add something to anything he was on, and THEN, on top of that when he sang the low harmony he really helped the sound out.  Love it. 
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 09:03:37 AM »

Yes everytime i hear the ending of cabin essence it makes me get goosebumps and the hair stand on arms :]
I can honestly say it's my favorite moment in "smile" with it's bizarre lyrics.
Bleachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 09:27:06 AM »

Yeah, the vocal overdub is a little bit out of tune, which makes it sound like a "drone", that's what's always amazed me
AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 04:54:00 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB6JwCmTIEw[/color]]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB6JwCmTIEw

This is the kind of thing we say without thinking, knowing that everyone will understand. You're swimming with big fish here.  Smiley

Great Clip!!!
nice tache too
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 05:03:58 PM »

Whoa, I. Spaceman is back? I don`t intend to ruffle any feathers, pleasantly surprised actually.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2011, 05:06:47 PM »

So am I, even though I only know him from the album threads - anyone laying it down like that with Chelsea Girls as his avatar and a Spiritualized reference as his name has my vote  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2011, 11:37:34 PM »

This is the kind of thing we say without thinking, knowing that everyone will understand. You're swimming with big fish here.  Smiley
"If you want to be a different fish, you gotta jump outta the school".  A free dinner on me to the first person who gets that reference.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2011, 11:43:39 PM »

This is the kind of thing we say without thinking, knowing that everyone will understand. You're swimming with big fish here.  Smiley
"If you want to be a different fish, you gotta jump outta the school".  A free dinner on me to the first person who gets that reference.  Grin

Smiley
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2011, 11:46:43 PM »

Damn it! I thought I was being real cryptic and secretive.  LOL

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2011, 12:08:05 AM »

THE BEEF. Good ole Captain Beef. He was my first true musical love, waaaaay back to when I was a young-un in 2007.

A discipline daddy.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2011, 09:54:04 AM »

THE BEEF. Good ole Captain Beef. He was my first true musical love, waaaaay back to when I was a young-un in 2007.

Awesome avatar!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx