gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 01:05:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: When in their career, if ever, do you stop listening to the beach boys?  (Read 21601 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2011, 12:53:50 PM »

I don't think trumpeting your purposeful ignorance of a band's catalog is really a good idea on a board devoted to that group.
BillA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2011, 12:57:27 PM »

I don't think trumpeting your purposeful ignorance of a band's catalog is really a good idea on a board devoted to that group.

I am aware of the catalog, I just chose not to buy the material that I did not care for.

In 1974 Mike Love's concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a comeback that rocked the music world.
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2011, 02:19:15 PM »

I don't think it's about trumpeting ones ignorance.  It's just a question, which essentially is asking, "have you actually really listened to everything the band has put out or are there periods/albums that you have passed on."   One can be a fan of a band/performer and still not enjoy and/or choose not to take part in the purchase and listening of certain releases.   With the Beach Boys for me it was LA.  I heard certain songs after that upon their initial release - Keepin' The Summer Alive, Getcha Back, Still Cruisin', Kokomo (for example), but none of them particularly made me want to go buy the album.  Some of them in fact made me afraid to buy the album.   A lot of people liked those songs though, and some people bought the albums and I'm guessing enjoyed them.  Kokomo as a song was obviously a huge hit - many people loved that song.  I'm glad they enjoyed it, and in all honesty, it is a good pop song, just something about it makes me want to throw up (but that's my problem). 
I have been crossing my fingers that should they actually do a reunion album they will come out with something really classy, something that will cap off their career in a beautiful way.   I want this as much for them as I do for myself as a fan.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2011, 02:25:36 PM »

KTSA- Death of the Beach Boys in my opinion.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 02:29:00 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2011, 02:30:24 PM »

I'm interested OneEar as to what you consider as "classy"? I hope it is something like Imagination, because I think that will be what it comes closest to. I'll be happy if it is just halfway decent. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2011, 02:34:05 PM »

For albums, maybe, but they could still sing their asses off long after that. Had Brian been able to take fuller control back then, I think things would have turned out quite differently on an album level.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2011, 02:39:47 PM »

For albums, maybe, but they could still sing their asses off long after that. Had Brian been able to take fuller control back then, I think things would have turned out quite differently on an album level.
I agree, the Beach Boys doing BW88 would have been amazing. The touring group just lost a lot with Dennis gone and them doing greatest hits tours in autopilot until 1993 with the box set tour.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 02:48:28 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2011, 02:47:07 PM »

I don't know...it would be just as easy to argue that someone who purposely ignores the Beach Boys career after 1980 is more of a fan than someone who makes no distinction.

For me it's not about being incurious or uninformed or a dilettante, it's that as a fan, I've thought long and hard about what particular blend of ingredients go up to really define the Beach Boys for me, and then identifying the point at which, for myriad reasons, those ingredients stopped going together in any meaningful way.  Opinions can differ as to the location of that point, but I can't believe it's a controversial idea.  I believe it's an inevitable process to go through with any long-running band.

FWIW I'm just talking about new albums under the group name.  Still dig some Brian solo stuff, would have loved to have seen the group live while Carl was still around, etc.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 02:48:15 PM by anazgnos » Logged
BillA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2011, 03:05:25 PM »

I agree, the Beach Boys doing BW88 would have been amazing. The touring group just lost a lot with Dennis gone and them doing greatest hits tours in autopilot until 1993 with the box set tour.
[/quote]

I don't know, the touring group in 1993 sounded awfully good.

In 1974 Mike Love's concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a comeback that rocked the music world.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2011, 03:12:06 PM »

I don't know...it would be just as easy to argue that someone who purposely ignores the Beach Boys career after 1980 is more of a fan than someone who makes no distinction.

It doesn't have to do with refusing to make distinctions -- only the deaf could do that. But if you're going to talk about the band and its history in a serious way, it's worth gaining at a passing familiarity with the 80s and 90s albums, if only to be able to laugh about them here. And the combined cost of doing so, at least according to Amazon, is about $15. (I exclude Summer in Paradise, which is for some reason considered scarce these days. You may download it illegally.)

I would also argue, quite seriously, that if you're at all interested in Mike's creative contributions to the band over the years, Summer in Paradise is surprisingly instructive. It's an album full of hooks without the songs to hang them on. Fascinating.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 03:15:11 PM by Wirestone » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2011, 03:21:33 PM »

I don't know, the touring group in 1993 sounded awfully good.
Oh yeah, even without The Beach Boys, it is a Beach Boys album through and through.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 03:32:35 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2011, 03:23:29 PM »

Double post
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 03:27:54 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2011, 04:34:02 PM »

I'm interested OneEar as to what you consider as "classy"? I hope it is something like Imagination, because I think that will be what it comes closest to. I'll be happy if it is just halfway decent. Wink

I mean something age appropriate, not more of the same "we're 70 but we're talkin' 16" kind of thing, something just true, honest, "them", something that isn't about the "image" as much as the music and who they really are in relation to it (not expressing myself well, but anyway...) - I just think they could do something that would be awesome, even at their age, etc.  I want to hear these old friends get around a microphone and sing - as Murry would say - from their hearts.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2011, 04:51:06 PM »

I don't find the age appropriate thing an issue. To this day all four sing mostly non-age appropriate stuff on stage most of every year. What is the difference whether it is a new song or old song? It is still 69 & 70 year old men performing those songs. I don't really want to hear them singing about age appropriate things such as constipation, taking Geritol, prostate examinations, playing bocci ball and shuffle board, etc.. Know what I mean? Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2011, 05:26:06 PM »

Sunflower is the last album I can listen to in its entirety.  After that, it's a song here, a few songs there, etc.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2011, 06:07:00 PM »

Damn! I thought we were supposed to be Beach Boys FANS!!!!!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2011, 06:18:10 PM »

Us? Definitely not  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2011, 06:56:19 PM »

I don't find the age appropriate thing an issue. To this day all four sing mostly non-age appropriate stuff on stage most of every year. What is the difference whether it is a new song or old song? It is still 69 & 70 year old men performing those songs. I don't really want to hear them singing about age appropriate things such as constipation, taking Geritol, prostate examinations, playing bocci ball and shuffle board, etc.. Know what I mean? Wink

Well, as I said, I ddn't think I was expressing my thoughts very well,  however - do you really think I was meaning to say they should sing songs about Geritol, prostate examinations, shuffle board and constipation???   LOL
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2011, 07:09:07 PM »

Even though there are a few gems that i love to death...I pretty much stopped listening to their music after 1970.
The songs that standout after 1970.. are "Til i Die".."All This is That".."The Night Was So Young" & "I Do Love You".
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 07:13:28 PM by Newguy562 » Logged
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2011, 09:49:37 PM »

I have no BBs cutoff. I`m a shameless SC and SIP whore.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2011, 09:52:39 PM »

I CAN'T WAIT TILL SUMMER CAUSE IT'S GONNA BE A SUMMER OF LOVE!

HEY NOW - IT'S A LOVE THING!

Who the hell can argue with that?Huh

Aside from Problem Child, in my heart of hearts I actually love EVERYTHING the Boys have ever done.
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2011, 11:02:15 PM »

It depends on how the new album fares.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2011, 02:01:39 AM »

I listen to it all! And like it all!  But I do have to admit that BW's Pet Sounds Live never did hold my attention...great musicianship, and great to see live, but if I'm going to listen to Pet Sounds, I'm gonna listen to the original album.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2011, 04:00:42 AM »

I listen to it all! And like it all!  But I do have to admit that BW's Pet Sounds Live never did hold my attention...great musicianship, and great to see live, but if I'm going to listen to Pet Sounds, I'm gonna listen to the original album.
I agree, and furthermore there is footwear out there with better performances than what was used for this CD. I don't think I've played it since I bought it that release week.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2011, 05:51:13 AM »

I totally disagree with this. If this board was narrowed down to only those that are well versed with every phase of the band's career, you'd have a much less diverse and interesting bunch of people here.

There are those fans, and their global perspective on the band is most valuable, but I'd argue not more so than the guy that just digs the early 'garage band' incarnation and can tell you exactly why he gets so fired up by it, or the stoner who stumbles on here to share his/her freaky ideas about Smiley Smile. It takes all sorts!

It's also worth remembering that The Beach Boys, more so than any other group, have an incredibly diverse array of manifestations from striped shirt all-Amercian boys to beardy hippies to tennis short-wearing Reaganites. It's just not realistic to expect fans to research every inch of the band's career. As far I'm concerned, Still Cruising might as well be by a different group and, as a result, I have no urge to listen to it .... (yet!)

Edit: As an afterthought, I think it is realistic to expect board members who don't like the 80s period to not thread crap every KTSA topic. I tend to keep my nose out of those threads, or the ones about the modern day Mike/Bruce incarnation of the band, because it's just not my thing. I may be wrong, but I think the board naturally functions this way anyway where people generally respect other's tastes. However topics like this one are a kind of grey area so we shall see  Smiley
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 06:00:40 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx