gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681014 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 03:35:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Most Prized Possesion...  (Read 8382 times)
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2011, 05:42:01 AM »

I'm very new to Beach Boys collecting but I can boast two signed BWPS and PS sleeves from Brian's RFH concerts this year. To have met the man himself to get them was utterly amazing and I still can't believe I have such a treasure from the genius that started the Beach Boys decades before I was even born! I also have great memories from the gig and of Mike's pointing/interacting with me at the Epsom gig in July. I am very happy that I attended both these concerts.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2011, 06:21:09 AM »

- The Good Vibrations vocal sessions reels
- The Surf's Up pt2 sessions reels

Would you consider swapping for my copy of the Symphonic Sounds CD, signed by Bruce Johnston?

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2011, 06:39:17 AM »

Ok, what the heck is the story behind that Brian and Marilyn block?

PS can correct me, obviously, but I believe it's from the pool of the Bel Air house.

Pool, yes, but from Laurel Way (check the date).  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2011, 06:55:54 AM »

*checks date, stares blankly, drinks more coffee*

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2011, 08:19:05 AM »

This unique piece of history:

Videotaping this beautiful Brian moment, with hardly anyone else around:

http://vimeo.com/24036109

and my program from Carnegie Hall, September 24, 1971 (still looking for it, but its here somewhere...)

There has to be a market for these… :D

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2011, 08:22:59 AM »

*checks date, stares blankly, drinks more coffee*

August 27th 1966, Marilyn & Brian were still living on Laurel Way. They moved to 10452 in April next year.  Smiley

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2011, 08:24:11 AM »

This unique piece of history:

Videotaping this beautiful Brian moment, with hardly anyone else around:

http://vimeo.com/24036109

and my program from Carnegie Hall, September 24, 1971 (still looking for it, but its here somewhere...)

There has to be a market for these… :D

Limited, but I think the vendor could pretty much name their own price. Mind, you'd need a sturdy floor.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2011, 08:46:07 AM »

… I think the vendor could pretty much name their own price.

Exactly… I'll make 'em if you supply some dates.

We could do a SMiLE Sessions commemoration breeze block in 2021.

O, better, backdated BWPS RFH Breezeblocks, dated 2004.

We could market them as being genuine souvenirs from the walls of the RFH; we can even point them out to buyers in Phil's backstage footage – "Look there's yours, just before Darian gouged it out of the wall and Brian engraved it…" 

Hot cakes, hot cakes…

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2011, 09:26:27 AM »

Thinking about this 'most treasured' thing, I realise that what I truly treasure most isn't something palpable, but rather the act of being one of a small but tightly-knit band of like minded souls who are, the odd troll, space cadet and general grouch excepted, fine people to know, even when the insults are flying like underwear at a Tom Jones gig. That some seriously good primary research has resulted is just a bonus, and even the crazies here generally know their BB 101. It's cool. It's a good place to be.

If we could just resurrect the original Ego, well, that would be prefect.

PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2011, 11:42:49 AM »

Ok, what the heck is the story behind that Brian and Marilyn block?

RE-PRINTED FROM PREVIOUS POST:

That stick-signed cement slab, dated 8/27/66, came from Brian and Marilyn's pool at 1448, when the owner at the time (2000) came out of her house and wrote down my license plate number (I was taking photos and she presumed either a Beach Boys fan or a stakeout, or both). We chatted for a bit, and I told her I was on my honeymoon visiting friends in the LA area. She was from Iran and had purchased the house from lawyers, not from Bri-Mar directly, and she was renovating the pool area and had the autographed slab removed and it sat at the side of the house where she led me to look at it. She asked for 1K, and I told her that I was happy to have seen it, but really didn't want it that badly. Long story short, I came back the next day with $500.00 cash and made an offer, and then threw out my back (and my honeymoon) trying to get it into my car trunk with one of her workers.

So now it sits in my living room, with a little piano light on top of it, in homage to 1448 (alas, the wife has moved on...). One could easily imagine Brian and the Posse getting high in the heated pool and SMiLE dreamin'...it overlooks the Valley and the twinkling lights of LA at night, and you could imagine them feeling above the fray and in their own world...What was unexpected, however, was how really accessible it was, right on the cul-de-sac, directly on the street, you could have walked right to the door in 1966 and stepped into the sandbox. One could imagine (see Lewis Shiner's GLIMPSES for a dramatization) that this was a happy home for a time for the young couple and Banana and Louie, full of creativity and promise. Seemed oddly normal and (upscale, yes, but not yet Bel-Air) suburban, not that hard to imagine the leap from growing up in Hawthorne. The more secluded and gated Edgar Rice Burroughs mansion on Bellagio seems to have eventually brought out the Kane in Brian, much more of a solipsistic lair, one imagines...

...I could mindscreen Van driving up, or Jules bringing over Thomas Pynchon, or David Anderle talking Brother and big dreams, or Mark Volman driving over on Sunset from Laurel Canyon to play spoons, etc. You can see where the slab comes from in the somewhat awkward home movie/promo films shot at the pool.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 11:45:49 AM by PS » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2011, 01:01:38 PM »

4) An entire box of cassette tapes and CD-R's sent to me over the years by the late great Rev. Bob Hanes, all annotated in his handwriting.  I miss him.

Lee

That has got to be one HUGE box! Mine is crate-sized.
 And, yeah, it's hard to imagine someone that is missed as much. OR did as much for so many of us.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2011, 02:36:10 PM »

Cool Guy
SG7
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2011, 05:56:17 PM »

That pic of Brian and I high fiving each other  LOL
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2011, 11:52:15 PM »

Thinking about this 'most treasured' thing, I realise that what I truly treasure most isn't something palpable, but rather the act of being one of a small but tightly-knit band of like minded souls who are, the odd troll, space cadet and general grouch excepted, fine people to know, even when the insults are flying like underwear at a Tom Jones gig. That some seriously good primary research has resulted is just a bonus, and even the crazies here generally know their BB 101. It's cool. It's a good place to be.

I like to think of AGD as the Uncle Toby of our family.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2011, 08:17:13 AM »

Really it is the memories and connections with the band and others in the communicty.

Right now, what stands out, is greg larson's handwritten return address from an old letter.  I put it in the SMiLE Sessions book on the page where he is remembered.  There it will stay.

Other "treasures" are things like the old BBFUN newsletters and fanclub memorabilia.  On occasions when I pull these things out and dust them  off I have to smile.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2011, 01:32:27 PM »

Most prized BB/BW-related possession?

My wedding ring. Top that.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2011, 02:13:44 PM »

Hey, Melinda  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2011, 02:15:06 PM »

I gotcher prized possesion right here!   Tongue

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2011, 02:15:26 PM »

Hey, Melinda  Grin

lol I wouldn't be surprised!

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2011, 03:54:57 PM »

Uhhh....nice try, guys. Nope; not Melinda. Unless I lost a ton of weight, starting wearing glasses, and had a sex change...

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx