gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 09:26:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian says Beach Boys reunion album sounds "mellow".  (Read 68669 times)
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2011, 07:27:51 AM »

From Howie Edelson's nationally syndicated radio feed...

BRIAN WILSON SAYS BEACH BOYS REUNION ALBUM SOUNDS 'MELLOW'

Brian Wilson is riding high on two new releases -- his new covers album, In The Key Of Disney, along with the pop-rock holy grail box set of the Beach Boys' Smile Sessions. In an exclusive interview, we asked Wilson about that other collection he's been working on -- the long-awaited Beach Boys reunion album. Wilson has recently been laying down preliminary tracks for the still unnamed 50th anniversary project -- which kicked off last summer with him, Mike Love, Al Jardine, and Bruce Johnston teaming up with members of Wilson's and Love's respective touring bands to re-record the Beach Boys' classic 1968 hit single "Do It Again."

We asked Wilson if he was happy with the way the group gelled in the studio after 15 years apart: "Oh yeah, I was thrilled! Not one of those guys needs any work -- they're all great. Yeah, they're all good."

Wilson was asked how many tracks he's been working on for the upcoming Beach Boys project: "About six. It's going to be mellow. It's a mellow, mellow album. A lot of background parts -- y'know, a lot of background harmonies. Uh. . . my friend Jeff, one of my bandmembers, Jeff (Foskett), is singing backgrounds."

When asked if the album would be relying on re-recordings of other Beach Boys classics, Wilson said: "New stuff. I would like to advance on to new stuff. I wanna do rock n' roll. I'd like to do rock n' roll."

Producer Joe Thomas is heading up the 50th anniversary project for the band and previously produced the Beach Boys' last studio album, 1996's Stars & Stripes Vol. 1, along with Wilson's 1998 solo set, Imagination. Wilson told us that he's thrilled to be back working with Thomas behind the boards: "It's a great pleasure to work with the guy. He's such a great genius."

The new five-disc box set, called The Smile Sessions, features a full-on construction of the Beach Boys' version of Smile -- based on Wilson's 2004 "finished" version -- which was compiled by the project's producers and band archivists; Alan Boyd and Mark Linett. The set also features four more discs of session highlights and album outtakes.

Alan Boyd directed the band's 1998 documentary Endless Harmony and Grammy Award winner Linett is the man responsible for engineering Brian Wilson Presents Smile, producing and mixing the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds box set, and overhauling the group's entire catalogue over the past 20 years.

Smile, which was originally slated for release in January 1967, included such legendary songs as, "Our Prayer," "Heroes And Villains," "Wonderful," "Cabin Essence," "Wind Chimes," "Vegetables," "Good Vibrations," "I'm In Great Shape," "Child Is The Father Of Man," "Holidays," "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow," "Do You Like Worms," "Love To Say Da Da," and "Surf's Up," among others.

The Smile Sessions is available in both two-disc, and five-disc versions. The expanded, boxed edition of The Smile Sessions is also released digitally. The boxed set also includes a double vinyl LP set, a poster, and two seven-inch vinyl singles.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 07:34:33 AM »

Excellent!

I'm all for a strong 6 track EP over a 10-12 track album that has mostly weak filler.  But if they can flush out a full album of 12 good songs...then by all means.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 07:42:08 AM »

"It's going to be mellow. It's a mellow, mellow album. A lot of background parts -- y'know, a lot of background harmonies."

When asked if the album would be relying on re-recordings of other Beach Boys classics, Wilson said: "New stuff. I would like to advance on to new stuff. I wanna do rock n' roll. I'd like to do rock n' roll."

Mellow rock n' roll.  
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 07:59:16 AM by LostArt » Logged
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 07:44:16 AM »

How did Joe Thomas end up back in the mix + who"s idea was it..?.. Forgiveness is essential to life on this planet but it is amazing how many law suits have gone on among all these people + they are all in studio together..!!.. What happened to David Marks..?? He should be there And he should experience the money + accolades that will come with this release..!.. Looking forward to this release.. Maybe some unreleased Wilson Paley songs included..??..Good luck to all and hopin for a great release..And maybe a one off concert filmed for dvd release..
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 07:55:29 AM »

This has been on again, off again, on again.  Does this mean that it is actually happening?  And as for Joe Thomas,  I really didn't mind the sound of the imagination album.  It could have been different, maybe better in some ways, but it was an overall decent MOR sound.   I can see why, as a group/committee, they decided to use him.  Do you think Mellow might be a euphimism for compromised, controlled,  or restrained?  Or do you think it has to do with a focus on harmony?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 08:00:31 AM »

Joe Thomas is good at producing vocals, but not much else.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 08:08:10 AM »

who knows if this thing ever comes to fruition, but I will say this...as bad as Stars and Stripes may have been, the Beach Boys vocals were fantastic. If Joe Thomas can recapture THAT on an album, more power to him.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 08:09:01 AM »

"Uh. . . my friend Jeff, one of my bandmembers, Jeff (Foskett), is singing backgrounds."

Welp, my interest in this has just dropped significantly.

Sad

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 08:15:48 AM »

"Uh. . . my friend Jeff, one of my bandmembers, Jeff (Foskett), is singing backgrounds."

Sad

Perhaps Jeff is there simply to provide the falsetto parts?  We know none of the members of the Beach Boys can do them currently...
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 08:22:30 AM »

Sad

Perhaps Jeff is there simply to provide the falsetto parts?  We know none of the members of the Beach Boys can do them currently...

I assumed as such. Still can't stomach it, though.

D'you think Al can't? Just wondering, as his voice has seemingly held up the best of everyone involved. Give me anyone over Jeff. Sad

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 08:24:35 AM »

Sad

True, and it's a logical choice since he's Brian's main man for falsettos. However, there are three people, all realistic choices, whom I'd much rather hear: Matt Jardine, Randell Kirsch and/or Scott Totten. But I'd rather have a new release with Jeff Foskett than no new album at all without him.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
MJP
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 08:27:06 AM »

I hadn't heard it in a while, but once again I'm absolutely hooked on The Pearlfishers version of Go Away Boy.  A classic Brian Wilson hook with wistful Mike Love lyric.  Would have fit perfectly on side 2 of Today.  Pet Sounds or Smile for that matter.

How does a Go Away Girl by The Beach Boys sound for 2012?
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 08:30:19 AM »

Rumored lineup for 50 Years of Fun, Fun, Fun, the latest Beach Boys EP/album.

1. Foskett Goes Surfin'
2. Don't Litter
3. Foskett Takes Your T-Bird Away
4. Don't Worry, Foskett
5. What About the Whales?
6. Foskett Hangs 10

Hidden track: "Wrinkles"
The Madcap
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 08:30:47 AM »

I don't know about anyone else, but I personally don't want a new Beach Boys album. I think a new album would be mediocre at best. I think now that The Smile Sessions has come out, they should just let things be and end their career on a high note.

A broken man too tough to cry
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 08:34:59 AM »

I am skeptically optimistic about this (Is that even possible)!  Unlike some, I am very happy that they are trying to work together.  And some healing IS needed here.  It can't be as great as their classic material (how could it?) especially with the big holes that Carl and Dennis leave, but it still could be very good.  And as cheesy as the sentiment may be, most agree with Bruce Johnston re: Bring back Happy Endings (chuckle).  

I am glad they are doing something in the studio.  I am sure there will be some live dates, but I feel that a studio reunion has the potential to sound much better.  Like many,  I have really mixed feelings about Joe Thomas' involvement.  Both Brian and The Beach Boys' vocals were wonderful on Imagination and Stars and Stripes (Thomas does indeed deserve high praise for this), but the instrumental track choices were often ill-advised.  I am hopeful that someone will have heard the "concerns" of many longtime Beach Boys fans and passed it on to Joe.  No nylon string guitars please.  Take it easy on the Triangle and new age percussion, and outdated synths.  More live tracking with real instruments and an organic approach including instruments that are a part of BRIAN's working vocabulary .

I really hope that Mike is "allowed" to write with Brian.  I would be disappointed it this was all Wilson / Thomas co-writes.  Dr. Love deserves the chance to see it he and Brian can still write great songs together.  Maybe he can pen some great lyrics, maybe he will endlessly recycle old song titles and revisit the same tired cliches.  Who knows, but he deserves a shot and most fans want to hear the results.  Most fans are not shouting, "I hope I get some more of that classic writing team of  Wilson / Thomas again".

I am excited to hear the results of them singing together again.  It would be nice to have David Marks guitar playing involved too.  I like Jeffrey Foskett's voice and it makes sense to have him involved so Brian is at ease, but I'd love to hear a few Matt Jardine vocals on the top of the stack.  But aside from my selfish wants, I hope it brings some peace, closure and heals some old wounds of some wonderful senior citizens whose work has enriched my life greatly.  I love the Beach Boys!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2011, 08:39:04 AM »

I really hope that Mike is "allowed" to write with Brian.

You're assuming that Brian & his team are calling the shots here, I see.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2011, 08:49:09 AM »

I pretty much echo Rich's comments - as he said, I'm hoping Thomas' involvement will be essentially limited to producing the vocals, although there's always the chance that in the last 13 years he's learned how to produce better tracks that don't sound like standard AC crap.  Such a momentous record should actually sound like a Beach Boys album, and Joe has yet to show that he knows what that sounds like.

I've given my thoughts on Mike and Brian writing together before...I really think they still have the potential to do some great work, as long as all of Mike's awful lyrical cliches of the last 30 years are left behind in favor of his '60 and '70s lyrical sensibilities.  These guys have lead pretty amazing and interesting lives, so you would think that they'd still have a lot to "say" through their songs beyond the usual fare of the last few decades.  We shall see.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2011, 08:51:37 AM »

Sad

I assumed as such. Still can't stomach it, though.

D'you think Al can't? Just wondering, as his voice has seemingly held up the best of everyone involved. Give me anyone over Jeff. Sad

Good question about Al.  I don't particularly believe he can hit that register even with his voice being in better shape than anyone else's.  Still though, Brian doesn't seem to participate in any project without Jeff by his side so falsetto or not...we're getting Jeff either way.   I don't particularly mind Jeff so it's fine by me.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 08:53:07 AM by Justin » Logged
D Cunningham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2011, 08:55:55 AM »

How about "50 Big Ones"?

A slew of Beach Boys songs now produced by Joe "I doan need no stinkin bass harmonica" Thomas, sung by J. "Just helping out" Foskett, and played by the pastiche wonders.

Limited edition box comes with silver-plated vomit pot.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2011, 08:58:04 AM »

Excellent!

I'm all for a strong 6 track EP over a 10-12 track album that has mostly weak filler.  But if they can flush out a full album of 12 good songs...then by all means.

I interpreted what Brian said as the Beach Boys album has 12 tracks and he only worked on six of them.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2011, 09:06:16 AM »

I'd take this with a ton of salt.

A week or two ago, Brian was calling this project a solo album. At least that's how it was described to Billboard and in a couple of Smile interviews. "I'm working on a solo album with my friends Joe and Jeff."

In the Boston Globe article posted last week, Melinda was quoted as saying Brian hadn't yet made up his mind on whether to do the reunion.

This reminds me a bit of the Paley sessions, which Brian both thought of as for the Beach Boys and himself at different times.

Also, back in 2006, I believe Howie wrote about Brian's new album as a two-man creation with Scott Bennett. That album never came out. It ended up becoming TLOS instead and arriving in stores two years later. This is a world with a lot of flux.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2011, 09:46:56 AM »

Also, back in 2006, I believe Howie wrote about Brian's new album as a two-man creation with Scott Bennett. That album never came out. It ended up becoming TLOS instead and arriving in stores two years later. This is a world with a lot of flux.

OK... I'm looking at the song credits on TLOS now...

That Lucky Old Sun (Gillespie/Smith)
Morning Beat (B. Wilson/Bennett/Weiss)
narrative: Room With A View (B. Wilson/Parks)
Good Kind Of Love (B. Wilson)
Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl (B. Wilson/Bennett)
narrative: Venice Beach (B. Wilson/Parks)
Live Let Live  (B. Wilson/Parks)
Mexican Girl (B. Wilson/Bennett)
narrative: Cinco De Mayo (B. Wilson/Parks)
California Role (B. Wilson/Bennett)
narrative: Between Pictures (B. Wilson/Parks)
Oxygen To The Brain (B. Wilson/Bennett)
Can't Wait Too Long (B. Wilson)
Midnight's Another Day (B. Wilson/Bennett)
That Lucky Old Sun (Gillespie/Smith)
Going Home (B. Wilson/Bennett)
Southern California (B. Wilson/Bennett)

Yeah, hardly any Wilson/Bennett collaborations there at all, are there ?  Roll Eyes

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2011, 09:54:44 AM »

I really hope that Mike is "allowed" to write with Brian.

You're assuming that Brian & his team are calling the shots here, I see.

I said no such thing, Andrew.  I figured a learned man such as yourself wouldn't make the same mistake you are accusing me of ;-)

I merely mean that is in a situation such as this, where there are a MULTITUDE of interested parties (BRI, record companies, lawyers, wives, family and managers) it is sometimes hard to make decisions that are in the best interest of the record and the group (This "too many cooks" situation has reared it's head before).  Even the band themselves admitted as such on the rooftop reunion at Capitol a few years back.  It seems from the principals who have spoken thus far, EVERYONE seems like they want to call the shots.  Al, with his 110 shows (doubtful to say the least), Bruce, with his I'll be in the audience line, Mike, with his I want to sit down with Brian and start from scratch etc.  Clearly if they ALL are on the same page they have yet to communicate a unified plan to their audience.  

Also Brian has already referred in the press as having written with Jeff and Joe and being that he has mentioned this material as a solo record and has now mentioned the same two names (Joe and Jeff) with respect to a Beach Boys project, one can understand how a worry of the Beach Boys only being used as vocalist might present itself with the information available thus far.  I was merely airing my "hopes" for the project.  What are your hopes, Andrew, with respect to the recording (and not the live work)?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2011, 09:58:52 AM »

I wonder why David isn't involved? If it's by his own choice then fine, if not, hasn't he been given the shaft enough already?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2011, 10:00:33 AM »

Immediate reaction to the words 'Joe Thomas' - Ohhhhhh noooooooooo

Hopefully the songs are worth it.  Roll Eyes

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx