gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 04:43:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian says Beach Boys reunion album sounds "mellow".  (Read 68625 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2011, 10:05:03 AM »

I really hope that Mike is "allowed" to write with Brian.

You're assuming that Brian & his team are calling the shots here, I see.

I said no such thing, Andrew.  I figured a learned man such as yourself wouldn't make the same mistake you are accusing me of ;-)

I merely mean that is in a situation such as this, where there are a MULTITUDE of interested parties (BRI, record companies, lawyers, wives, family and managers) it is sometimes hard to make decisions that are in the best interest of the record and the group (This "too many cooks" situation has reared it's head before).  Even the band themselves admitted as such on the rooftop reunion at Capitol a few years back.  It seems from the principals who have spoken thus far, EVERYONE seems like they want to call the shots.  Al, with his 110 shows (doubtful to say the least), Bruce, with his I'll be in the audience line, Mike, with his I want to sit down with Brian and start from scratch etc.  Clearly if they ALL are on the same page they have yet to communicate a unified plan to their audience.  

Also Brian has already referred in the press as having written with Jeff and Joe and being that he has mentioned this material as a solo record and has now mentioned the same two names (Joe and Jeff) with respect to a Beach Boys project, one can understand how a worry of the Beach Boys only being used as vocalist might present itself with the information available thus far.  I was merely airing my "hopes" for the project.  What are your hopes, Andrew, with respect to the recording (and not the live work)?

For Mike to be "allowed" to to write with Brian, someone has to give their permission and the obvious inference is that someone else - Brian, Joe Thomas -  is in charge. Maybe this isn't the case. Maybe there's a framework already in place.

As for my personal hopes for such an album, I think that given a modicum of luck and good judgement, there's a chance it could be none too shabby. That said, this is The Beach Boys we're talking about here, the band with the seemingly infallible ability to look at the options offered and make the worst possible choice.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2011, 10:11:54 AM »

Even the lesser BB albums have at least one or two decent tracks on them. Maybe we'll get one last great song from them.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2011, 10:16:39 AM »

I wonder why David isn't involved? If it's by his own choice then fine, if not, hasn't he been given the shaft enough already?
Last time I spoke to Dave, a few weeks ago, he was hoping to be involved, but still hadn't been "invited" to any sessions or meetings. Maybe the reunion will not recognize any of the material on the first four LP's and the surf/car era...right. Roll Eyes
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2011, 10:17:58 AM »

As for my personal hopes for such an album, I think that given a modicum of luck and good judgement, there's a chance it could be none too shabby. That said, this is The Beach Boys we're talking about here, the band with the seemingly infallible ability to look at the options offered and make the worst possible choice.
[/quote]

Ding, ding, ding.  We have a winner.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2011, 10:19:26 AM »

Let's hope Mike doesn't think this is an opportunity to dust off some of his "gems" that he's shelved over the years.... like this beauty....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_3ZlgzFqz8&list=FLdmS9B6Qr3lJwYZdQEj5QtQ&index=2&feature=plpp_video
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2011, 10:25:27 AM »

why is joe thomas helping
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2011, 10:26:03 AM »

I, for one, hope that David is part of this project. One thing about recording nowadays is that his parts can be added later, and I would certainly love to hear Dave take some of the guitar leads.

I'm also hoping that Al's band gets to work on some of the tracks. Billy Hinsche and Matt Jardine should absolutely be part of any reunion project, imho.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2011, 10:28:05 AM »

why is joe thomas helping

Because you touch yourself at night.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2011, 10:33:58 AM »

yo momma
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2011, 10:36:01 AM »

Why did Melinda Wilson sue Joe Thomas, exactly?  From what I vaguely recall, Joe was the person who put the touring band together for the first tour.  There was some kind of falling out due to Brian being unhappy with Joe taking control and Brian wanted control for himself.  But he had a contract with Joe and the only way out was to sue Joe to get rid of him.  There were a bunch of nasty charges made against Joe in the lawsuit, but the main one was he was trying to further his own name by associating with the fame of Brian.  Joe then countersued Melinda Wilson, saying she was the one trying to further her own name by associating with the fame of Brian Wilson.  The legal papers including some incredibly unflattering quotes from Melinda Wilson, saying that she was trying to get Brian out of his contract with Giant Records and, in her words, "that little Jew."  Meaning Irving Azoff.  I know both parties eventually settled out of court, but it would seem like a lot to get past, in terms of hurt feelings and pride.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2011, 10:47:18 AM »

I hadn't heard it in a while, but once again I'm absolutely hooked on The Pearlfishers version of Go Away Boy.  A classic Brian Wilson hook with wistful Mike Love lyric.  Would have fit perfectly on side 2 of Today.  Pet Sounds or Smile for that matter.

How does a Go Away Girl by The Beach Boys sound for 2012?

yes please. what a song
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2011, 11:28:01 AM »

Rumored lineup for 50 Years of Fun, Fun, Fun, the latest Beach Boys EP/album.

1. Foskett Goes Surfin'
2. Don't Litter
3. Foskett Takes Your T-Bird Away
4. Don't Worry, Foskett
5. What About the Whales?
6. Foskett Hangs 10

Hidden track: "Wrinkles"

Foskett Foskett Foskett
Jeffomo
Warmth Of The Foskett
Jeff Don't Tell Me
Let Jeff Run Wild
Wild Jeffy
Aren't You Jeff
Our Foskett Recording Sessions
Jeff It Again
I Can Hear Foskett
Everyone's In Love With Jeff
Jeff's OK
Jeffuhama
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2011, 11:33:37 AM »

I honestly think if he really wanted to, Brian could do the falsettos. If he took his time. But that probably won't happen. Then you also got Bruce, who I think could probably still do a passable falsetto.

And about the album....

Well, myself, I think that this being a Beach Boys album would be much more interesting than if it's just another Brian Wilson solo album. I mean, although I think Mike is still an asshole for his liner notes in the SMiLE, wouldn't it make more sense that instead of having Beach Boys soundalike vocals, why not have the actual Beach Boys doing it!? Yes, it's been like 15 years since their last album, but I'm pretty sure Brian, Al, Mike, and Bruce could still bring us some very sweet vocals. And nothing against Darian, Scott, Probyn, and all them but I'll take The Beach Boys over them. I also hope the majority of the album is written by Brian. And maybe give Dr. Love a few songs to write lyrics for, to prove he can write a latter day lyric that doesn't the words "fun, fun, fun", "good vibrations", or "America's band".
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2011, 11:53:16 AM »

If Brian wants to do rock n roll, he should get Dave in there and plug him in!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2011, 12:24:52 PM »

He should be there for the 'youth' factor! Grin

BTW. No mention of Stamos!!! w00t!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2011, 12:27:05 PM »

Wow. I know some bands/artists pay more attention to fan feedback/perception than others, but I’d love to know who thought Joe Thomas was a good idea to produce anything of Brian’s again, let alone a long-awaited potential Beach Boys reunion album. The only thing I can imagine is that Brian just remembered liking the recording process of “Imagination”, and thought that guy would be good to work with again.

Do any of the Beach Boys remember that “Stars and Stripes” is often cited as one of the worst projects they ever churned out? Granted, a lot of that had to do with the concept of it, separate from Thomas’ production.

“Imagination” was an arguable minor success, but a lot of that had to do with it being Brian’s first true solo album of original material in a decade.

I’m also wondering why, after the last decade or more of Brian and his camp making a strong point of putting “Produced by Brian Wilson” on his releases, are they now going back to having Thomas co-produce? I also wonder if they feel they need a buffer between him and the other band members.

I would definitely agree that they would probably need *somebody* else to be involved with these sessions, somebody outside of the band. But that has way more to do with a sort of “organizational” producer. I think Brian’s engineering team or other engineers can help Brian and the band dial in the “sound” they’re looking for, and the type of material. They need a sort of “executive producer” to mediate things between the band members, and a sort of Nigel Godrich-to-Paul McCartney type to tell them when something sucks. They need a producer that knows “You’re Still a Mystery” and “Soul Searchin’” and “Don’t Fight the Sea” and “Cool Head” are strong or at least solid tracks, and “Saturday Morning in the City” or “Unleash the Love” or “PT Cruiser” should be left on the cutting room floor or left as novelty b-sides. They need a producer that maybe doesn’t have to pull out every Pet Sounds-ish sound under the sun for a new album, but also doesn’t make them sound like a bland adult contemporary thing either.

The only things that I can see at this moment that would make Joe Thomas involvement key are if, #1, his “sound” has changed and sounds more organic and not AC/MOR, etc., and/or if, #2, he truly is the only person that can successfully manage a project involving Brian and the Beach Boys. I’m just not convinced there isn’t somebody else out there that could do this.

As for speculation about David Marks involvement and whatnot, I think it’s too early for that. It sounds like, apart from “Do It Again”, none of the other Beach Boys have been involved in Brian’s recordings thus far. That is troubling as well. Is this just going to sound like “Imagination” stuff with Al, Bruce, and Mike singing along? That could potentially sound good I suppose. But if they’re going to do the “Beach Boys add their vocals to pre-recorded Brian stuff” thing, they should dust off some of the Paley stuff. I’d have to imagine Mike and Al (and possibly Bruce) would contribute some of their own songs. Will they have Thomas produce those? Will they each bring their own pre-recorded songs? Again, even in hodge podge form, it could be good. I’d love to see David Marks involved, lay down a few guitar tracks. But he’s not a part of the vocal blend, and I’d hope for a new Beach Boys album to at least be contemporary-sounding enough that it doesn’t immediately evoke “Surfin’ USA.” An interesting question: Would David Marks want to be involved in he’s expected to sound like the sterile session guitarists on “Imagination?”

I can already envision the promotional push for the new album: “The Beach Boys’ new album, produced by Joe Thomas, recorded at the MIU headquarters in Iowa, with key tracks including “Battle Hymn of the Republic”, “Wrinkles”, and a re-re-recording of “Remember Walking in the Sand." David Marks isn’t involved, but key touring personnel including Scott Totten as well as Joe Thomas late 90’s AC/MOR session stalwarts are involved. John Stamos will also contribute a suite of Dennis Wilson tribute songs, including a cover of the fake Dennis Wilson song from the 1990 "Summer Dreams" movie.”

Seriously, I’m actually way more hopeful that an album project could be at least okayish than my comments above probably indicate. I’m just in awe in that “New Beach Boys Reunion Album to be Produced by Joe Thomas” seems like it would be a practical joke sort of headline.  
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 12:30:59 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The Madcap
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2011, 12:31:32 PM »

1. Foskett Goes Surfin'
2. Don't Litter
4. Don't Worry, Foskett
6. Foskett Hangs 10

Foskett Foskett Foskett
Jeffomo
Warmth Of The Foskett
Jeff Don't Tell Me
Let Jeff Run Wild
Wild Jeffy
Aren't You Jeff
Jeff It Again
I Can Hear Foskett
Jeff's OK
Jeffuhama

Jeff Foskett Loves You:
1. Let Jeff Go On This Way
2. Roller Skating Foskett
3. Jeff
4. Jeffy Foskett
5. Good Jeff
6. Honkin' Down The Foskett
7. Jeff Jaff
8. Foskett System
9. The Jeff Was So Young
10. I'll Bet Jeff's Nice
11. Let's Put Our Fosketts Together
12. I Wanna Pick Jeff Up
13. Jeffplane
14. Jeff Is A Woman
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 12:33:07 PM by The Madcap » Logged

A broken man too tough to cry
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2011, 12:33:39 PM »

It's technically possible that the group could make a record without actually meeting in a studio. Each member simply goes in and lays down his own part on a layered track. That would be a possible way for Mike and Bri to 'co-write' without punching each other's lights out.

Alternatively we could have Melinda as peacemaker, although her feelings towards Mike might be like Yoko's towards Macca.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2011, 12:37:20 PM »

Yeah, hardly any Wilson/Bennett collaborations there at all, are there ?  Roll Eyes

My point was that the project was originally reported as a two-man band CD, with Brian and Scott playing and singing most parts, and featuring songs like "Wondering What You're Up to Now" and "Beatle Man."

In the two years after, the project was wholesale rewritten as a concept album and recut with the touring band and backing vocals. Some of the songs changed substantially, and the entire "concept" itself was added.

When talking about this new group of songs, which only weeks ago Brian said was meant for a solo album and now suggests is for a Beach Boys album, this past malleability seems an appropriate thing to note. Not that the songs won't come out -- but who knows if they will actually be BB tracks or BW tracks or even (in the end) produced by Joe Thomas.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2011, 12:47:02 PM »

It's technically possible that the group could make a record without actually meeting in a studio.

Count me out then.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2011, 12:59:23 PM »

1. Foskett Goes Surfin'
2. Don't Litter
4. Don't Worry, Foskett
6. Foskett Hangs 10

Foskett Foskett Foskett
Jeffomo
Warmth Of The Foskett
Jeff Don't Tell Me
Let Jeff Run Wild
Wild Jeffy
Aren't You Jeff
Jeff It Again
I Can Hear Foskett
Jeff's OK
Jeffuhama

Jeff Foskett Loves You:
1. Let Jeff Go On This Way
2. Roller Skating Foskett
3. Jeff
4. Jeffy Foskett
5. Good Jeff
6. Honkin' Down The Foskett
7. Jeff Jaff
8. Foskett System
9. The Jeff Was So Young
10. I'll Bet Jeff's Nice
11. Let's Put Our Fosketts Together
12. I Wanna Pick Jeff Up
13. Jeffplane
14. Jeff Is A Woman

Hey Little Jeff Boy
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2011, 01:00:29 PM »

If this is going to sound like a cross between Imagination and the better cuts off Summer in Paradise I think we're in for the last mediocre Beach Boys album.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2011, 01:01:42 PM »

Yeah, hardly any Wilson/Bennett collaborations there at all, are there ?  Roll Eyes

My point was that the project was originally reported as a two-man band CD, with Brian and Scott playing and singing most parts, and featuring songs like "Wondering What You're Up to Now" and "Beatle Man."

In the two years after, the project was wholesale rewritten as a concept album and recut with the touring band and backing vocals. Some of the songs changed substantially, and the entire "concept" itself was added.

When talking about this new group of songs, which only weeks ago Brian said was meant for a solo album and now suggests is for a Beach Boys album, this past malleability seems an appropriate thing to note. Not that the songs won't come out -- but who knows if they will actually be BB tracks or BW tracks or even (in the end) produced by Joe Thomas.
TLOS didn't change due to Brian's erratic nature, it was because he was commissioned by the Royal Festival Hall.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2011, 01:05:01 PM »

My personal insane fantasy is that Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce, Dave join with Paul and Ringo and go out as "The Beatle Boys"!!!!

Just imagine Beatles songs with Beach Boy harmonies and Beach Boys songs with the Paul/Ringo rhythm section?? Oh man!

Also, Mike could slide on up next to Paul on Back In The USSR for a cute moment!
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2011, 01:05:30 PM »

"Uh. . . my friend Jeff, one of my bandmembers, Jeff (Foskett), is singing backgrounds."

Welp, my interest in this has just dropped significantly.

Sad

Perhaps Jeff is there simply to provide the falsetto parts?  We know none of the members of the Beach Boys can do them currently...

I assumed as such. Still can't stomach it, though.

D'you think Al can't? Just wondering, as his voice has seemingly held up the best of everyone involved. Give me anyone over Jeff. Sad

I think Al has a little falsetto left, but it's kind of a whisper...not something he could really use on record or onstage, just to show someone a part or something like that (which is the basis of my own knowledge).  From what I've seen/heard Al's voice seems to be good up to about an E-F# above middle C, then he gets a bit froggy.  In the baritone range, though, he's still sounding great.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 01:06:32 PM by adamghost » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx