gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:20:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE - stereo mix by soniclovenoize  (Read 6916 times)
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2011, 06:50:19 PM »

Wow, sorry guys, I wasn't aware that 30 people already did this.   Undecided

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2011, 07:24:58 PM »

I actually thought your GV was a lot cleaner and balanced sounding then most others.
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2011, 11:22:44 PM »

Wow, sorry guys, I wasn't aware that 30 people already did this.   Undecided

If you're referring to my post, the fact that i posted some more stereo GV has got nothing to do with your mix! I actually really like your mix of GV, I was just posting some more examples oI found on Youtube.
Paul
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2011, 08:10:08 AM »

I actually thought your GV was a lot cleaner and balanced sounding then most others.
Even though I didn't like the mixing of the Asher and Love lyrics, I agree with you that the sound is terrific.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2011, 08:11:36 AM »

soniclovenoize, again thank you so much for your wonderful mix of DYLW

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2011, 09:42:42 AM »

Excellent version-my sincere thanks! Thumbs Up
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2011, 09:37:45 PM »

Thank you so much guys!  :D

JCarson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2011, 05:04:57 AM »

I downloaded at the beginning of the week and have had several listens. Would like to say a big thank you for your work and for sharing! The sound is fantastic throughout. Just wondering, is this the definitive soniclovenoize mix or are you going to issue a mark 2 in the future? My only suggestions for possible improvement would be to hide/cut the cough on I'm in Great Shape and to beef up your notes re Surf's Up:

"The album concludes with certainly the greatest song Brian Wilson ever wrote, possibly one of the greatest pop songs ever written"

Come on man, this is Surf's Up!... Definitely one of the greatest pop songs ever written!

Love the mix. Will be on steady rotation in my car (and in the house when I can sneak it past my wife).
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2011, 08:20:46 AM »

I downloaded at the beginning of the week and have had several listens. Would like to say a big thank you for your work and for sharing! The sound is fantastic throughout. Just wondering, is this the definitive soniclovenoize mix or are you going to issue a mark 2 in the future? My only suggestions for possible improvement would be to hide/cut the cough on I'm in Great Shape and to beef up your notes re Surf's Up:

"The album concludes with certainly the greatest song Brian Wilson ever wrote, possibly one of the greatest pop songs ever written"

Come on man, this is Surf's Up!... Definitely one of the greatest pop songs ever written!

Love the mix. Will be on steady rotation in my car (and in the house when I can sneak it past my wife).
Haha Thank you very much! 

I really want to say that it is the final soniclovenoize mix, but honestly I can't say that for sure.  My older mix (the authentic mix) changed from three times from 2002-2010, so it would be presumptive of me to say "This is THE mix!" when in reality, there might be better sourced things to leak and I might have some miraculous revelation about how something should go...

I will say that I am on-the-border with this Vege-Tables mix, as I mentioned in that other thread about it.  I tried to re-arrange the parts of this new stereo mix to to have a more logical construction (like Linnet's GV Box mix, which was perfect!), but there's just to much crossfading of the sections to get a clean sample without artifacts of the previous section.  So if better sources came out which allowed me to reconstruct his stereo mix, but also allowed me to re-assemble the sections in a more sensible order (verse/eat a lot/verse/interlude/send us a letter slow/eat a lot slow/fade)... 

Also, the stick-click intro of Good Vibrations, that was an error on my part, I meant to clip it, but I forgot.  :/  I noticed it after I had already spammed posted my mix on this board and others...  If I did a Mark 2 of my mix, that would be gone!  Wink 

BTW The cough in I'm In Great Shape, that was intentionally left in, I thought it was fitting, adding a sense of irony to the song.  I'm also obsessed with imperfections in music that implies perfection, something, off the top of my head, The Beatles intentionally left in (The "Oh sh*t wrong chord in Hey Jude for instance).  This isn't something I hear really with The Beach Boys though, but still an element I tried to leave in.  Also, that cough signals the exact point in time where the vocal/piano track cuts out on my mix (times up with the bass note I believe) and it seemed like a "happy coincidence" which I've always felt was a good sign that I'm on the right course (such as the phasing on the Good Vibrations 2nd verse vocal, and how both sides came out to be a little over 21 minutes).   

soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2011, 09:22:35 AM »

OK, some people requested this, so I did it (out of curiosity and boredom). 

This is my mix reconstructed into the BWPS 2004 track sequence. 

http://www.mediafire.com/?ln795f8mq41b4tg

Artwork and notes included. 

JCarson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2011, 12:47:44 PM »

BTW The cough in I'm In Great Shape, that was intentionally left in, I thought it was fitting, adding a sense of irony to the song.  I'm also obsessed with imperfections in music that implies perfection, something, off the top of my head, The Beatles intentionally left in (The "Oh sh*t wrong chord in Hey Jude for instance).  This isn't something I hear really with The Beach Boys though, but still an element I tried to leave in.  Also, that cough signals the exact point in time where the vocal/piano track cuts out on my mix (times up with the bass note I believe) and it seemed like a "happy coincidence" which I've always felt was a good sign that I'm on the right course (such as the phasing on the Good Vibrations 2nd verse vocal, and how both sides came out to be a little over 21 minutes).   
[/quote]

Another very late reply. Sorry, but I'm a married man with kids...

Holy Guacalmole, I've been having exact same thoughts recently... how imperfections add something to great music... it's a bit like the Muslim idea of deliberately leaving an error in a design to respect God's true perfection, paradoxically this can draw attention to the (near) perfection of the human artefact... examples that come my mind include the organ bursting through Country Air... to me that's the sound of the bee who buzzed all that inspiration in Brian's ear... and the distortion on Judee Sill's second record. It's like these records come so near perfection something has to be wrong... So now I'm really trying hard to love the ending to the new Holidays. It's a tough mission, but I'm on it...
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2011, 05:26:27 PM »

OK, some people requested this, so I did it (out of curiosity and boredom).  

This is my mix reconstructed into the BWPS 2004 track sequence.  

http://www.mediafire.com/?ln795f8mq41b4tg

Artwork and notes included.  

Thank you! I'm really looking forward to this!  Grin

Just one little note, is there any way you could separate the movements into separate tracks? Just so if I want to pick out a particular song I'm craving I can do so without searching through each movement? I'm sorry if this is too much trouble, if it is don't worry about it really.  I understand that's how the songs are supposed to be heard and all, but just for convenience's sake, it would be nice to have separate tracks.

Everything is really great though! Thank you very much!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 06:20:56 PM by Zach95 » Logged

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2011, 08:40:35 AM »

Ummmmmmmmmmmm sure OK. I'll post later today. 

Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2011, 08:50:24 AM »

Ummmmmmmmmmmm sure OK. I'll post later today. 

Thanks so much! Sorry if it's too much trouble...

soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2011, 09:49:52 AM »

http://www.mediafire.com/?b994zwawwgdci62

OK there you go.  The three movements are split into 16 tracks.  Enjoy!   angel

kissmebaby
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2011, 11:06:07 PM »

Smiley :afroNice work bro- but if you make a stereo version of the Good Vibrations that came out as a single I will let you have sex with both of my sisters. Deal?
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2011, 08:29:37 AM »

With original lyric or telepathy lyric? 

and are they hot?   Shocked
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 08:30:46 AM by soniclovenoize » Logged

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2011, 08:31:26 AM »

Smiley :afroNice work bro- but if you make a stereo version of the Good Vibrations that came out as a single I will let you have sex with both of my sisters. Deal?
Does Duophonic stereo count? Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2011, 04:04:26 PM »

http://www.mediafire.com/?b994zwawwgdci62

OK there you go.  The three movements are split into 16 tracks.  Enjoy!   angel

Thank you very much!  Shocked

soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2011, 08:06:29 PM »

Was working on this a bit for you, but I didn't like how it was going.  :/

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx