gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:19:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE: Bring It On, Fanmixers.  (Read 47998 times)
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2011, 06:45:15 PM »

Well, this isn't new with us in particular, but having great quality material to work with is... I'm going to wait for a few until someone makes the best mix possible  *coughcough* alternate BWPS CIFOTM, and Swedish Frog under Cantina and such...

...(wishing for a decent computer with audio programs....) Speaking of, what would be the best kind of computer and program for these kind of purposes, praytell?
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2011, 07:48:23 PM »

I too would like to know how to make my computer do this
tygerbug
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2011, 08:42:44 PM »

I'd say a Mac with Protools.

I'm a filmmaker/video editor, so I'd just use Final Cut Pro and Audacity, but you can get more accuracy with ProTools.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2011, 08:50:34 PM »

i transferred TSS ointo real analog and am cutting tape as i speak

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2011, 08:53:36 PM »

I used SONAR, which is Cakewalk's version of ProTools. 

Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2011, 08:55:40 PM »

Honestly, Audacity is the way to go if you want to actually work with the constraints Brian had. About all you can do is Audacity is cut, copy, paste, fade in/out, add reverb, and stuff like that.
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2011, 09:11:26 PM »

I'm a filmmaker/video editor, so I'd just use Final Cut Pro and Audacity, but you can get more accuracy with ProTools.

True, although if you're going legit, it's also pretty expensive. Audacity works fine; I haven't used any other paid tools on PC except Reaper ($60), but I think it's pretty good.

GarageBand is the best value if you're on a Mac, though. The most recent version can even do non-destructive tempo changes, which is a godsend for fly-ins and sync-ups. Logic's even better, but again, you have to spend a couple hundred bucks.

Honestly, Audacity is the way to go if you want to actually work with the constraints Brian had. About all you can do is Audacity is cut, copy, paste, fade in/out, add reverb, and stuff like that.

Except for, you know, being able to adjust time and pitch seamlessly, with an unlimited number of tracks...  Wink
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2011, 09:17:26 PM »

Audacity is a flaming pile of sh*t. God help those who choose to (or have to) use it.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2011, 09:32:42 PM »

I've used Pro Tools, Logic, Reason, Live, Cubase, Cakewalk, and a few others. But i happily use Garageband by choice. I've thought about writing a manifesto.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2011, 09:34:12 PM »

I have a question for you audio wizards in this thread. Is it in any way possible to "fly in" at least the first part of the vintage "Rock Rock Roll" vocals from Worms as heard on the backing vocals montage and lay it on to the disc 1 Holidays chorus in the same way as BWPS and make it work? You'd have to change the key and the speed of the vocs, etc, but I just wondered if it was possible or if anyone might take a shot at it. That seems like the only obvious "fly in" that Mark either didn't try or couldn't get to work. Any thoughts? Takers?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 09:35:59 PM by mammy blue » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2011, 09:39:21 PM »

JMZ did a pretty good job of it.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2011, 09:41:34 PM »

He used the Beach Boys vocals, not the 2004 ones? Interesting. It'd be great if someone could do it with the higher quality tracks we have to work with now.
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2011, 09:43:01 PM »

Quote from: mammy blue
Is it in any way possible to "fly in" at least the first part of the vintage "Rock Rock Roll" vocals from Worms as heard on the backing vocals montage and lay it on to the disc 1 Holidays chorus in the same way as BWPS and make it work?

You could, although to adjust the vocals without changing the backing track, you would need to use a very good pitch-shifting effect (i.e., one that doesn't change the formants), or they would probably sound unnatural.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2011, 09:47:57 PM »

He used the Beach Boys vocals, not the 2004 ones? Interesting. It'd be great if someone could do it with the higher quality tracks we have to work with now.

It's not the same as the 04 version, but he still made it work. While I'm generally not into this sort of trickery (sans stuff like "Fire" where the two are in the same key and just fit together), I've yet to hear anyone do as good a job with vocal fly-ins like this.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2011, 09:51:32 PM »

Quote from: mammy blue
Is it in any way possible to "fly in" at least the first part of the vintage "Rock Rock Roll" vocals from Worms as heard on the backing vocals montage and lay it on to the disc 1 Holidays chorus in the same way as BWPS and make it work?

You could, although to adjust the vocals without changing the backing track, you would need to use a very good pitch-shifting effect (i.e., one that doesn't change the formants), or they would probably sound unnatural.

We have isolated Plymouth Rock vocals now though, in the backing vocals montage. So they can be perfected in isolation and then laid atop the Holidays chorus. I'd love to hear this, but it is beyond my technical skill; when I attempted this, I made the BBs sound either like a slowed down record or like chipmunks...  But the Rock, Rock, Roll portion could theoretically work since it's all the same note.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 09:55:22 PM by mammy blue » Logged
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2011, 09:53:23 PM »

« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 09:54:52 PM by mammy blue » Logged
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2011, 10:18:03 PM »

when I attempted this, I made the BBs sound either like a slowed down record or like chipmunks...

Oh, you mean like how they sound on Look, the Holidays tag and Dada on the official release? Oh, the irony that, in attempting to fill in the blanks with more vocals, the flown-in (pitch shifted) vocals don't even sound like the Beach Boys but instead like a robot that has been programmed to sounds like them. But hey, it's more "complete" now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjONQNUU8Fg

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Bleachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2011, 11:14:19 PM »

i transferred TSS ointo real analog and am cutting tape as i speak
Are you serious? That's great. I really wanna do that sometime in the future.
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2011, 05:45:12 AM »

Here's a mono mix of CIFOTM, exactly like the instrumental mono from '66:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RLUD0ZD1

The chorus is from the CD 1 mono mix, the verse from the sessions (it was crossfaded/edited with the 2nd chorus on disc 1, so I coulnd't replicate a good edit into the 1st chorus), and the bridge from the sessions (the CD 1 mono mix was edited). The instrumental mono mix uses onyl half the chorus the last time, so I did that as well, using a small fade in because that sounded much better than a hard edit.

Enjoy, and if you think iI could improve some things, please tell me!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2011, 08:06:54 AM »

It could take years for me to learn enough about editing and mixing even if I had the software.  I am looking forward to hearing some of the sure to be circulating personal mixes of SMiLE.  Feel free to share.

I would be happy for now to be able to cut out the pre music studio chat that begins most of the takes on discs 3-5.  Then I could save those and just sequence a playlist of my own choosing.  The fly in and matching up of tempo and speed etc seems too much for me to take on. 

Anyone know how to simply edit off chat from the beginning or end of a trak?
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2011, 08:47:41 AM »

Anyone know how to simply edit off chat from the beginning or end of a trak?

Goldwave is a favorite of mine for a simple wav-editor. 

Bleachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2011, 08:49:20 AM »

I'm using Audacity for OOPSing, and Cubase for copying/pasting and editing in general
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2011, 08:53:02 AM »

I actually put together a mix of the 2011 Linett Holidays with the JMZ Plymouth Rock vocals "flown in" to the second chorus. It doesn't sound too bad. Please Make me share it if you'd like to hear it.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2011, 08:58:52 AM »

The chorus is from the CD 1 mono mix, the verse from the sessions (it was crossfaded/edited with the 2nd chorus on disc 1, so I coulnd't replicate a good edit into the 1st chorus), and the bridge from the sessions (the CD 1 mono mix was edited). The instrumental mono mix uses onyl half the chorus the last time, so I did that as well, using a small fade in because that sounded much better than a hard edit.

Really nice work Paul - I'd never actually heard the '66 mono edit, but this flows really well.  It finally feels like a complete song and not just random bits tied together by the chorus. 
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2011, 09:03:30 AM »

Really nice work Paul - I'd never actually heard the '66 mono edit, but this flows really well.  It finally feels like a complete song and not just random bits tied together by the chorus. 

What was the 66 mono edit?  I'm confuzzled as well  Huh

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx