gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 09:45:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Roll Your Own  (Read 6427 times)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2011, 10:42:41 AM »

This has become the new, great expression for making your own mix out of The Smile Sessions, and they come from Linett himself. Thinking ahead to when we all try this, I'm curious, from those who already have the set, is this in fact truly possible to do with the box set? It seems to me, just from looking at the tracks and from hearing a few little clips, that with the variances in what's available in stereo and mono, and what vocals are available, that it may not be possible to entirely tailor your own Smile. Let this inquiring mind know.

Thanks!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 01:07:21 PM »

if you have some mono/ some stereo, just fold down the stereo into mono.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 01:16:08 PM »

Between this and a few, erm, unofficial releases, I'm sure it can be done. Maybe even sans the unofficial releases, not sure yet.

If your mix contains one song in mono and the next song is in stereo, I think we'll all live.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 01:20:53 PM »

So far I have added the Purple Chick ending to "Surf's Up" and the BWPS ending to "Wind Chimes"

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 01:35:06 PM »

May I ask why? I thought it'd be fitting to, idk, swap in a non fly-ined Look or something that's actually, y'know, radically different...

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 01:47:15 PM »

It's just an "Alt" Smile Sessions playlist I'm putting together to try some things out.

The end of WC and SU aren't to my liking so I've replaced them with, IMO better versions..

You have to admit the end of WC on BWPS rocks like crazy

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 02:03:56 PM »

you're using the BWPS recording? that's so out there!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
MaroonMike
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 02:14:05 PM »

I love the sound quality, but not the mixes so far...so very much looking forward to my own mix.  I really like the Purple Chick Alternate version of Surf's Up.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 02:14:26 PM »

you're using the BWPS recording? that's so out there!
The end of WC on the GV Box Set is similar to BWPS. Plus, I love the chopsticks piano play on that version too.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 02:16:39 PM »

oh, I thought you meant you attached the 2004 recording to the end of the 66/67 track.

how does the version on the box end?

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 02:23:52 PM »

oh, I thought you meant you attached the 2004 recording to the end of the 66/67 track.

how does the version on the box end?
He may have meant exactly that, but I was offering an alternative Beach Boys version. He is right though, that BWPS ending is fantastic and does rock.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 02:25:03 PM »

oh I didn't even notice that it was two different people I was talking to, haha.

Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 02:29:15 PM »

The mixes I made up till now are more 'basic' and somewhat 'historically accurate' mixes than real 'fan' mixes. I really enjoy the new mixes by Mark Linnett and Alan Boyd, there are just some tracks which could do with a more basic approach in my opinion. The mixes I make can only include basic edits and a simple fade out (when using the sessions discs).
Mixes I've already made include:

-I'm In Great Shape - Stereo instrumental track - the last take on the sessions disc, faded out.
-Look - Stereo instrumental track - stereo master take, faded out
-Barnyard - I think they could have included  the full mix with backing vocals, but they didn't, so I tried to reconstruct it as good as possible. - I replaced the verse fly-in vocal part with the instrumental part from the sessions disc, at that point there are no backing vocals so nothing missing up till that point. After that I just cut out the 2nd fly-in vocal part, and applied a fade out at the end. Untill we have the full mix, this might be a good basic barnyard in good quality.
-Cabin Essence - I tried to fix the edit/speed issue in the tag as good as possible.
-A less basic mix: Child Is Father Of The Man (Stereo backing track), assembled like the instrumental mono mix.

I still have to do a Holidays basic stereo mix.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 04:32:36 PM »

Will folding down tracks using software hamper sound quality? I mean....would the end result sound as good as if Mark Linett provided it?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 04:36:14 PM »

Will folding down tracks using software hamper sound quality? I mean....would the end result sound as good as if Mark Linett provided it?

Erm, why's it necessary to do fold downs?

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 09:56:48 PM »

Well, let's say I want to make a CD for the car and prefer to hear "Look" without those distracting vocals....only alternative to disc 1 is stereo sessions, so....

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2011, 10:01:00 PM »

Well, let's say I want to make a CD for the car and prefer to hear "Look" without those distracting vocals....only alternative to disc 1 is stereo sessions, so....

So listen to it in stereo, d00d.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2011, 10:22:49 PM »

But what if I want to make a CD for the car and have the sound quality...you know...gel?

debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »

I will be making mine all mono.  I like a unified sound.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2011, 10:41:11 PM »

*facepalmz all around*

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2011, 11:38:36 PM »

The only thing that really seems to be missing is Barnyard with stereo backing vocals and without fly-ins.
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2011, 11:43:20 PM »

The only thing that really seems to be missing is Barnyard with stereo backing vocals and without fly-ins.

Aren't they releasing the album in a digital format? That way they could include in (in lossless of course) a a bonus item or something.

Does anyone know what they did with My Only Sunshine? It seems they took the vocal from a different source than the instrumental intro...the vocal fades in later than in the vocal bootleg mixes.
Barnshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2011, 05:28:16 AM »

Just updated my Smile mix with TSS material! It's not meant to replace the Disc 1 "album", more of a companion which reflects more accurately IMO how a finished 1967 Smile would have sounded. It's a "traditional" 12-track Smile, each song has a proper fade and it's as complete as can be (exept for Child verse vocals). It flows perfectly to my ears and sounds amazing, in glorious mono (later I'll compile a stereo version).

Intro (Our Prayer) - unlisted track as Brian meant it to be, TSS version sounds heavenly.
Hereos and Villains - TSS version - I don't believe that's how a finished vintage version would have sounded, but I was aiming at musical integrity rather than purism and this is my favourite version of the song - if GV was a "pocket symphony" this is a "pocket musical", it has an amazing flow and all kinds of little twists and turns, and it sounds complete. All that was missing is the tag so I added Tag to Part 1, which works very well IMO as a nice, light coda.
Do You Like Worms - TSS version with BWPS verse vocals flown in. Shoot me, but I like them (don't care if it's vintage or not) and they're all that's missing to make it a complete, perfect song. Restored the Bicycle Rider theme fade as per GV box version.
Child is Father of the Man - constructed as the 3 minute mono mix using TSS version. First and final chorus have the "conventional" vocals, second and third chorus have the new high vocal part. Final chorus fades out properly, and this is the only song on my construction which is not quite complete (missing verse vocals). Otherwise a great song with a perfect flow.
My Only Sunshine - TSS version is a rocker with the Barnshine tag, and the first cello note was restored using the session material.
Cabin Essence - again, TSS version. A definitive version of my favourite Smile song - it takes my mind to another world, and the fade is so beautiful I could cry. Tag was slowed down a little bit to the right speed.
Good Vibrations - single version, I'm not a fan of the "hum-de-bum"s. Why mess with perfection? Opens side two as per Smiley.
Wonderful - out of the complexity and majesty of the "pocket symphony" comes this touching, gorgeous ballad. The end is a faded, as no proper tag exists for this version.
Veta-Tables - and here comes the humor side of Smile. I wasn't a big fan of this song, which always sounded clumsy to me, but TSS completely changed my mind. It's as perfect as can be, they've really outdone themselves with this one.
Mrs. Oleary's Cow - forget the other elements, they were probably never fully realized (with maybe the exception of the Water chant, for which no solid proof exists). Just listen to this grand, terrifying arrangement. It's one of Smile's greatest achievement for what it is and the eerie Fall break vocals are the icing on the cake.
Wind Chimes - basically GV box version, using TSS elements to enhance the sound quality. Whlie TSS version ending is groovy and enjoyable, the GV box version's tag is divine.
Surf's Up - for me, the new TSS version is as definitive as it gets. It's the perfect closer to a perfect album.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 05:31:08 AM by Barnshine » Logged
Barnshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2011, 05:40:54 AM »

Just updated my Smile mix with TSS material! It's not meant to replace the Disc 1 "album", more of a companion which reflects more accurately IMO how a finished 1967 Smile would have sounded. It's a "traditional" 12-track Smile, each song has a proper fade and it's as complete as can be (exept for Child verse vocals). It flows perfectly to my ears and sounds amazing, in glorious mono (later I'll compile a stereo version).

Intro (Our Prayer) - unlisted track as Brian meant it to be, TSS version sounds heavenly.
Hereos and Villains - TSS version - I don't believe that's how a finished vintage version would have sounded, but I was aiming at musical integrity rather than purism and this is my favourite version of the song - if GV was a "pocket symphony" this is a "pocket musical", it has an amazing flow and all kinds of little twists and turns, and it sounds complete. All that was missing is the tag so I added Tag to Part 1, which works very well IMO as a nice, light coda.
Do You Like Worms - TSS version with BWPS verse vocals flown in. Shoot me, but I like them (don't care if it's vintage or not) and they're all that's missing to make it a complete, perfect song. Restored the Bicycle Rider theme fade as per GV box version.
Child is Father of the Man - constructed as the 3 minute mono mix using TSS version. First and final chorus have the "conventional" vocals, second and third chorus have the new high vocal part. Final chorus fades out properly, and this is the only song on my construction which is not quite complete (missing verse vocals). Otherwise a great song with a perfect flow.
My Only Sunshine - TSS version is a rocker with the Barnshine tag, and the first cello note was restored using the session material.
Cabin Essence - again, TSS version. A definitive version of my favourite Smile song - it takes my mind to another world, and the fade is so beautiful I could cry. Tag was slowed down a little bit to the right speed.
Good Vibrations - single version, I'm not a fan of the "hum-de-bum"s. Why mess with perfection? Opens side two as per Smiley.
Wonderful - out of the complexity and majesty of the "pocket symphony" comes this touching, gorgeous ballad. The end is a faded, as no proper tag exists for this version.
Veta-Tables - and here comes the humor side of Smile. I wasn't a big fan of this song, which always sounded clumsy to me, but TSS completely changed my mind. It's as perfect as can be, they've really outdone themselves with this one.
Mrs. Oleary's Cow - forget the other elements, they were probably never fully realized (with maybe the exception of the Water chant, for which no solid proof exists). Just listen to this grand, terrifying arrangement. It's one of Smile's greatest achievement for what it is and the eerie Fall break vocals are the icing on the cake.
Wind Chimes - basically GV box version, using TSS elements to enhance the sound quality. Whlie TSS version ending is groovy and enjoyable, the GV box version's tag is divine.
Surf's Up - for me, the new TSS version is as definitive as it gets. It's the perfect closer to a perfect album.

Are you going to try and mix a Smile out of TSS? Are you just gonna stick with the Disc 1 version?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2011, 06:22:23 AM »

So far just for an alt playlist I'm messing around with I've added the Purple chick ending to "Surf's up" on the SS "Surf's Up" and demo, and the BWPS ending of "Wind Chimes" to the SS "Wind Chimes", both sounds fantastic

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx