gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:32:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TSS - All things Wonderful  (Read 55607 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2011, 11:06:29 PM »

I have a question about the "Rock With Me Henry" version of Wonderful from the box set. Why is Carl's line "I need some water, man" missing?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2011, 01:27:30 PM »

I have a question about the "Rock With Me Henry" version of Wonderful from the box set. Why is Carl's line "I need some water, man" missing?

I'm sure it was just an aesthetics thing, or perhaps out of respect for Carl, who probably wouldn't have wanted that line (or even the whole vocal) to be heard at all. 
The Demon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2011, 04:02:39 PM »

I'm sure it was just an aesthetics thing, or perhaps out of respect for Carl, who probably wouldn't have wanted that line (or even the whole vocal) to be heard at all. 

Makes it easier to use if you want it in a mix.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2011, 04:18:33 PM »

Never realized until now how much I hate the 'Rock with me Henry' part.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2011, 09:21:06 PM »

It can be edited out easily. I did a mix of it without Mike's part months ago.

Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2011, 09:55:12 PM »

I'm really confused regarding what they have of "version 1" of this song in the archives.  It seems to only exist in various forms of mono mixes that add and subtract elements.  Brian's mono mix featured on the GV box set doesn't have what are commonly referred to as the "yodeling" vocals and has different backing vocals during that part that aren't present on the yodeling version.  There's also a mono mix of the backing track w/o Brian's lead, but with all of the backing vocals (including the yodeling).

The isolated backing track seems to be missing...like many SMiLE recordings the master take was snipped off of the reel.  Based on the snippet of early takes on the box set, the backing track was recorded in mono.

Where it gets confusing: the vocal only montage adds isolated stereo backing vocals (including the yodeling) to the mix that could only come from a multitrack.  Where did these come from?  Wouldn't the backing track and Brian's vocal also be on this tape?  That mono mix of the backing vocals and backing track without Brian's vocals suggests that no bouncing was done, but even if these came from a 2nd stage tape with the track/Brian's vocal in mono they could still manufacture a decent stereo mix.  Why wasn't it done for the vinyl?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2011, 12:03:44 AM »

I always thought it was part of the song though. I've always thought of the "Rock With Me Henry" version as kind of a comedy song. The talking during the song seemed to fit with Mike's goofy bass vocals.

Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2011, 10:17:08 PM »

Isn't it obvious?  Sometime after the date of that session, they gave him some water.  It was probably around the time of the '67 Cool Cool Water sessions, although I guess it could have been as late as Sunflower.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2011, 03:50:29 AM »

Grin

Anyone notice on the tape box photos after the Sessionography, it has the box for the Vegetables Fade, with the notes - 'Like Heroes Bridge + Middle Part of Wonderful'

Which he means the 'chorus' of H&V, as someone plays the same riff on the piano during the Veggies fade.

This might well mean the Smiley Smile version of Wonderful  is the closest we have to BW's original plan in terms of structure..... or not  Huh
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 03:59:57 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Demon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2011, 06:32:12 AM »

Grin

Anyone notice on the tape box photos after the Sessionography, it has the box for the Vegetables Fade, with the notes - 'Like Heroes Bridge + Middle Part of Wonderful'

Which he means the 'chorus' of H&V, as someone plays the same riff on the piano during the Veggies fade.

This might well mean the Smiley Smile version of Wonderful  is the closest we have to BW's original plan in terms of structure..... or not  Huh

Great catch!  I've always liked to think Smiley held some clues to Smile.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2011, 10:36:59 PM »

Where it gets confusing: the vocal only montage adds isolated stereo backing vocals (including the yodeling) to the mix that could only come from a multitrack.  Where did these come from?  Wouldn't the backing track and Brian's vocal also be on this tape?  That mono mix of the backing vocals and backing track without Brian's vocals suggests that no bouncing was done, but even if these came from a 2nd stage tape with the track/Brian's vocal in mono they could still manufacture a decent stereo mix.  Why wasn't it done for the vinyl?

I want to know this too, and I wish someone would make a stereo version using the backing track and background vocals, because I sure as hell can't get it to work!
Mac the Hat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2011, 12:56:39 AM »

Was the rock me with Henry bit, ever really 'on the table' as a vocal insert, or was it just a duff lyric to fill in a bass vocal line to be determined at a later point. Who's Henry?

I think this disc 1 version, is just about perfect, great to see the yodel back in, I feel sure it would have been lower in the mix back in the day, bur nice to hear closer to the front

I love my Carl, I love my Brian, my Dennis and my Al. I could even find it in my heart to love Mike Love

(Belle and Sebastian)
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2011, 01:37:00 AM »

I want to know this too, and I wish someone would make a stereo version using the backing track and background vocals, because I sure as hell can't get it to work!

It's not perfect, but here you go:  http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IFJ3W558

Who's Henry?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaIJvlHXEqU
Mac the Hat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2011, 02:05:40 AM »

Who's Henry?

Ah thanks for that.

I love my Carl, I love my Brian, my Dennis and my Al. I could even find it in my heart to love Mike Love

(Belle and Sebastian)
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2011, 12:26:58 PM »

Grin

I have a suspicion this note (in black marker and different from the other writing on the box) was added to the tape box after the SMILEY SMILE version of "Wonderful" had been issued. Perhaps Carl or Stephen Desper notated this in '68 or '72 when reviewing the tapes?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2011, 06:59:09 AM »

I always thought it was part of the song though. I've always thought of the "Rock With Me Henry" version as kind of a comedy song. The talking during the song seemed to fit with Mike's goofy bass vocals.

That'd be Brian, not Mike.

Took ages before I warmed up to the "Rock With Me Henry" version, but I really like it now. Both it and the original have so much to offer that the other doesn't, there's a really cool vibe on this one.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 07:00:22 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2011, 07:01:49 AM »

Also, anyone else notice that they autotuned the bajeezus out of Carl's flubbing of the "locket" line? Not a fan.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
sly74
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2011, 02:17:15 PM »

Also, anyone else notice that they autotuned the bajeezus out of Carl's flubbing of the "locket" line? Not a fan.

Holy crap they did, I completely missed it!  Shocked Another case with the release of "just because one can, does not mean one should"
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2011, 07:37:13 PM »

Who's Henry?

Thanks! That's pretty darn good!
adam78
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2011, 10:57:22 AM »

You know what, my first reaction to this was no they haven't, but you're right. They've not auto tuned it to be in tune, they've simply fixed the pitching of the already out of tune note. He's flailing all over the place on the SOT version on that "locket" word.

I think they thought they could make it less embarrassing by fixing it so it wasn't as bad, but he was so out anyway, what was the point?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 11:12:07 AM by adam78 » Logged
sly74
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2011, 02:26:51 PM »

You know what, my first reaction to this was no they haven't, but you're right. They've not auto tuned it to be in tune, they've simply fixed the pitching of the already out of tune note. He's flailing all over the place on the SOT version on that "locket" word.

I think they thought they could make it less embarrassing by fixing it so it wasn't as bad, but he was so out anyway, what was the point?

Beats me. Too much fun pointing and clicking rather than keeping things in perspective?
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2011, 05:55:06 AM »

The more I hear this the more I like it.
Reverend Rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2011, 10:16:57 PM »

This one is a new "definitive" for me.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2011, 01:12:53 AM »

Who's Henry?

Good initiative, but it sounds like you have drenched pretty much everything with reverb? I like the idea of those vocals being panned differently though. You could also do some volume automation here and there, especially on the 'da-da-da's' on the right side of the stereo image.

Also, on a general note, it would be a lot better if people started using soundcloud for these fan-things. So much easier to access and download.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2011, 01:44:15 AM »

*clapping hands* I think it's almost perfect. My only wish is that the brass should be louder during the second and third chorus

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx