gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:33:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TSS - All things Cabinessence  (Read 40966 times)
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2011, 08:11:45 AM »

All thought on CE here please
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 03:43:26 AM by desmondo » Logged

Cheers

Richard
thevigilanteoflove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 08:17:50 AM »

Cabin Essence, since I first heard it on 20/20, has been one of my favorite Beach Boys songs and something that gave me hope about a how great a completed SMiLE would sound. That being said, this is a song that definitely benefits from being in stereo. That doesn't mean that the mono mix doesn't sound as good as it possibly could, but there is so much going on in this song that I think only a stereo mix can do it justice. Carl's vocal doesn't sound quite as clean, and some of the instruments get lost in the mix. Once again, that is not to say I think they could have done anything differently with the mono mix. For what a mono mix is capable of doing, it sounds great. Still one of my all-time favorites.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 10:06:38 AM »

Always has been one of my favorite. Love the chorus vocals in particular. Really like whatever they did on Mike's voice (sped up?) at the end.
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 07:26:38 AM »

At 01:01 a lot of noise suddenly mutes in the middle of the chorus, bad job by Mark & Alan.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 12:54:50 PM »

not on my copy Tongue

Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 01:22:29 PM »

At 01:01 a lot of noise suddenly mutes in the middle of the chorus, bad job by Mark & Alan.

Yeah, that's on my copy as well. There a small click as well. I don't know what could have happened, a small mastering error or something?

Edit: I think the same thing happens at 2:17.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 01:23:37 PM by Paul2010 » Logged
theCOD
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 09:36:57 PM »

This is what you're hearing. Wall
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 10:24:11 PM »

It's not that, there is clearly a "click" and suddenly a whole lot less hiss on the track. Hrrrm.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
theCOD
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 10:31:07 PM »

It's not that, there is clearly a "click" and suddenly a whole lot less hiss on the track. Hrrrm.

That's what you see in the image. That big purple block is the hiss, with a click at the end of it.

How did this track end up sounding worse than any of the previous releases?

Huh
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 11:56:47 PM »

Oh! Gotcha.

And yeah, kinda puzzling. This is one of the tracks that you'd think would have been pretty simple to put together.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 02:03:19 AM »

Hi, does anyone know if there's going to be a digital version available? If so, Capitol could fix things like these and let people download a 'fixed' version with errors like these repaired.
thevigilanteoflove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 11:36:51 AM »

Wow. I didn't notice that at first but now it's pretty evident. I mean I doesn't ruin the song but it's very noticeable.
jimmy1949
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 01:09:11 PM »

not on my copy Tongue
Grin Grin Grin LOL
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 12:14:28 AM »

My personal theory: It's a 1966 Brian test mix of these sections, not a 2011 mix. Too bad there's no info on how the disc 1 mixes were assembled. The amount of session info is great though! Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
GeorgeFellInHisHorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 12:41:50 PM »

I don't know if its my EQ settings or what, but the "Truck-Drivin Man" vocals are SUPER present in the vinyl, like more than ever, and the ending tag sounded the best it's ever sounded to me.

Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 12:52:32 PM »

My personal theory: It's a 1966 Brian test mix of these sections, not a 2011 mix. Too bad there's no info on how the disc 1 mixes were assembled. The amount of session info is great though! Smiley

Maybe something that IconFetch could ask Mark Linnett in his second interview? I think I read somewhere that we could suggest some new questions to the interviewer...
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 07:55:38 PM »

Maybe something that IconFetch could ask Mark Linnett in his second interview? I think I read somewhere that we could suggest some new questions to the interviewer...

An excellent idea, and I would tend to agree with that theory.  They pasted Carl's lead and Denny's "Truck Drivin' Man" into test edits that Brian did, then edited them together.  The chorus kicks more ass than it ever has, and Mike's vocal is much more upfront than the '68 mix.  I feel like there has to be a reason for these things, other than just wanting this mix to sound different than the released version.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2011, 12:14:46 AM »

An excellent idea, and I would tend to agree with that theory.  They pasted Carl's lead and Denny's "Truck Drivin' Man" into test edits that Brian did, then edited them together.  The chorus kicks more ass than it ever has, and Mike's vocal is much more upfront than the '68 mix.  I feel like there has to be a reason for these things, other than just wanting this mix to sound different than the released version.

If I remember correctly, the multitrack tape with Carl's lead is missing now, so they couldn't paste it into anything. They used one stereo channel of the 1969 version for the verses.

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2011, 12:15:41 PM »

It definitely sounds different than versions I've heard.  It may just be me but that viola/cello bottom end absolutely vibrates in the room unlike I have ever heard it.  The whole peice just shimmers with sound.

Interesting to read the posts about what was "flown in", edited etc in order to to get these"new" versions of these songs, many of which have been everywhere for years, but never quite like this. 
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2011, 03:53:04 AM »

I've tried to improve this track a bit, by removing the clicks (which makes the hiss drop out much less obvious) and speed correcting and re-editing the 'Over and over' part.

Is it allowed to post the link here, or should I keep it PM only? Anyway, if anyone's interested, PM me.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 12:59:05 PM »

It's a stunning track, obviously, but I prefer the 20/20 version. This new version sounds great - until the 'Who ran the Iron Horse?' chorus. Then it just sounds 'busy', whereas the '69 version sounds crystal clear. The verses and ending however sound as good as ever, but this is one of the few tracks where, to me, they haven't quite pulled it off. 

It is though a tremendous song, one that really shows how incredibly far ahead of everyone Brian really was at this point. Is that a sitar on Sessions CD 3, track 10? Spectacular! 
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 11:54:37 PM »

It's a stunning track, obviously, but I prefer the 20/20 version. This new version sounds great - until the 'Who ran the Iron Horse?' chorus. Then it just sounds 'busy', whereas the '69 version sounds crystal clear. The verses and ending however sound as good as ever, but this is one of the few tracks where, to me, they haven't quite pulled it off. 

It is though a tremendous song, one that really shows how incredibly far ahead of everyone Brian really was at this point. Is that a sitar on Sessions CD 3, track 10? Spectacular! 

I think it's a banjo played with a bottleneck.

I prefer the TSS version, only the verses should have been mixed lower for better contrast with the busy parts. Oh, and the tag should have been louder. At least that was easy to do with editing software.

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2012, 05:42:39 AM »

I think it's a banjo played with a bottleneck.

I prefer the TSS version, only the verses should have been mixed lower for better contrast with the busy parts. Oh, and the tag should have been louder. At least that was easy to do with editing software.

But surely the (perfect) 20/20 version already has all this, and thus is therefore superior to the (not-perfect) TSS mix.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2012, 10:42:27 PM »

The chorus on the TSS edit just turn into a mess, and that's partially due to the horrific error on the track. I still prefer the '68 mix, even if Mike is a bit *too* distant on the tag. I'm sure it was intentional, going for effect, but it's just a bit too much. imo.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2012, 04:14:21 AM »

Fire?

Tell me it's okay.