gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:47:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TSS - All things "Barnyard Suite"  (Read 127111 times)
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2011, 07:11:14 AM »

well it's official...according to the lyrics in the booklet it's "of the agriculture"...

Of course the booklet is going to say that, in keeping with the proper lyrics from BWPS.  Those are definitely the official lyrics, but that ain't what Brian is singing on the demo.

It is just a demo remember

Cheers

Richard
Chris Moise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2011, 10:01:53 AM »

Maybe because that's what Brian intended and I think you'll find the sax does play the melody right from bar one

Just curious but do you have a cite for that?
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2011, 10:07:31 AM »

In the sessions for OMP, Brian sings the classic lyrics "The old master painter from the faraway hills..." Do you think this means there were definitely vocals that were supposed to go there or was he just singing that to give the musicians an idea of the sound he was looking for?
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2011, 10:33:27 AM »

In the sessions for OMP, Brian sings the classic lyrics "The old master painter from the faraway hills..." Do you think this means there were definitely vocals that were supposed to go there or was he just singing that to give the musicians an idea of the sound he was looking for?

Hard to say - he seems to be singing it to emphasize how he wanted the line played ("it should sound far away").  But just the fact that he brings up lyrics at all makes me think that he may have intended to record them being sung with the cello.  Plus, for what it's worth, he sang the lyrics at least once at a BWPS show.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2011, 10:36:27 AM »

Whats that vocal buried at the fade of My Only Sunshine? I flippin love it.

I like it too, but can't tell what it is, anyone know?
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2011, 11:09:59 AM »

Sounds to me like Mike singing You Are My Sunshine but I have no idea where they got it from.
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2011, 03:55:36 PM »

....Want to know this....should have been in the liner notes....is there a wizzard here who knows what they are?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2011, 06:39:25 PM »

I'm kind of confused on why they did IIGS the way that they did. Why would they play the melody once through, before you hear Brian's voice and piano come in? It just sounds odd to me. Also, I kind of wish they had used the Purple Chick backing track of IIGS, with the saxophone(?) playing the verse melody.

Maybe because that's what Brian intended and I think you'll find the sax does play the melody right from bar one
Yes, the sax plays the melody, but I was talking about the backing track used on the Purple Chick version, which is different from what they used on the box set.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2011, 06:45:54 PM »

I'm kind of confused on why they did IIGS the way that they did. Why would they play the melody once through, before you hear Brian's voice and piano come in? It just sounds odd to me. Also, I kind of wish they had used the Purple Chick backing track of IIGS, with the saxophone(?) playing the verse melody.

Yes, the sax plays the melody, but I was talking about the backing track used on the Purple Chick version, which is different from what they used on the box set.

Maybe the PC backing track isn't what Brian wanted or was going to use.
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2011, 10:25:50 PM »

My three gripes with Great Shape...

1) That is one awkwardly mis-timed edit back to the start of the track (to bring the vocals in).
2) Is it just me, or does the whole song seem to speed up??
3) Where's the reverb-crazy ending?  They did indeed try that during the Smile sessions.  To make matters worse, the track just cuts off cold before "Barnyard".
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2011, 03:24:25 AM »

If anyone's interested, I made new mono mixes for these three tracks without fly ins or crossfades. I don't know if I can post them here, since it's sourced from officially released material...if I can't, anyone can PM me.
bruiteur
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2011, 05:31:13 PM »

The main reason the fly-ins for Barnyard don't work is because of the piano. I'm not sure why it wasn't dealt with for the Disc 1 assembly. It really wasn't that difficult to remove the piano from the demo and fly-in just Brian's vocals. The rest of the track is exactly the same. I made sure to put in the animal sounds in the first verse (like on Disc 1) that are absent in the instrumental Master Take on Disc 2. Admittedly, I do this for a living so it might not be easy for everyone. You can PM me if you want to swap out the track in your iTunes library (which is what I did).  It sounds much, much better with lead vocals but without that jarring piano.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 06:26:39 PM by bruiteur » Logged
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2011, 06:12:08 PM »

I'm not clear on the rationale for putting "I'm In Great Shape" here as opposed to where it appears on BWPS.  It seems to dovetail much better with the "health" theme of Vegetables.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2011, 08:23:04 PM »

The main reason the fly-ins for Barnyard don't work is because of the piano. I'm not sure why it wasn't dealt with for the Disc 1 assembly. It really wasn't that difficult to remove the piano from the demo and fly-in just Brian's vocals. The rest of the track is exactly the same. I made sure to put in the animal sounds in the first verse (like on Disc 1) that are absent in the instrumental Master Take on Disc 2. Admittedly, I do this for a living so it might not be easy for everyone. You can PM me if you want to swap out the track in your iTunes library (which is what I did).  It sounds much, much better with lead vocals but without that jarring piano.

I'd like to believe you, but that's a mighty big claim, considering Mark L. is a pro and couldn't find a way to remove the piano.
egon spengler
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2011, 08:38:27 PM »

....Want to know this....should have been in the liner notes....is there a wizzard here who knows what they are?

They're the lyrics to You Are My Sunshine.. you can make out every few words:

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You'll never know, dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away
bruiteur
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2011, 09:29:26 PM »

I certainly mean no offense to him, he's done a great job. I work in a pretty specialized post-production field and use several tools (and have certain experience) I'd imagine he might not have in the more music-oriented side of things. Anyway PM me and hear for yourself.

I'd like to believe you, but that's a mighty big claim, considering Mark L. is a pro and couldn't find a way to remove the piano.
tygerbug
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2011, 01:05:43 AM »

Having listened to Bruiteur's mix of Barnyard, the vocals do sound a bit cleaner, louder and punchier.

It's really hard to judge the separation work without being able to hear the clean vocal without the track, but I do prefer it to the TSS version.

That said, I think this sort of digital trickery isn't the sort of thing the Smile Sessions box set was about, so they shouldn't be criticized for not going that route. I'm glad that fans who know how are doing it though.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 01:17:57 AM by tygerbug » Logged
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2011, 04:01:14 PM »

Having listened to Bruiteur's mix of Barnyard, the vocals do sound a bit cleaner, louder and punchier.

It's really hard to judge the separation work without being able to hear the clean vocal without the track, but I do prefer it to the TSS version.

That said, I think this sort of digital trickery isn't the sort of thing the Smile Sessions box set was about, so they shouldn't be criticized for not going that route. I'm glad that fans who know how are doing it though.

Yep Bruiteur did a fantastic job - not having that piano in there makes for a much more enjoyable listening experience.  I'm definitely inserting his version into my mix when the time comes.

I don't see how this digital trickery is any worse in principle than the fly-ins or pitch-shifted vocals.  Now that I know it could have been done, I'm really wondering why they didn't remove the piano like Bruiteur did.  I thought the goal was to create the best-sounding most "complete" version of the album possible, and it's pretty clear now that "Barnyard" and "Great Shape" could have sounded better than they do.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2011, 05:20:02 PM »

plz sned me bruiteur "barnyard" mix imo

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2011, 10:42:19 PM »

They're the lyrics to You Are My Sunshine.. you can make out every few words:

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You'll never know, dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away

The other words are there too, just sung very low (bass).

Can't one of you wizards isolate the vocal like you did with "Truck Driving Man"?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 10:43:39 PM by Bubba Ho-Tep » Logged
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2011, 09:28:20 AM »

Sounds to me like Mike singing You Are My Sunshine but I have no idea where they got it from.

According to the sessionography, the only vocalists on the "My Only Sunshine" tag are Brian, Marilyn and Diane - so I have to assume the voice singing the "You Are My Sunshine" lyrics is Brian (although many thought is was Mike when listening to the boots).

Despite the questionable use of the fly-ins, I love that we now have a "Barnyard Suite" that runs just over three minutes. "I'm In Great Shape" worked fine on BWPS, but placed in front of "Barnyard" feels right. The first movement now has a nice little "day at the farm" section before the sun sets and "Cabin Essence" takes over.
TheManchesterMan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2011, 03:10:33 PM »

The track on the CD1 mix of Great Shape seems not to match any of those in the sessions track. Am I mishearing things or is it a different take? Is it just that they synced the Humble Harve piano to the whole of the track, unlike the way the piano just appears below the vocal in Barnyard?

I must say I think the way they added a copied and pasted intro to it sounds dreadful. Also, given the length of the track for Barnyard is it possible there were meant to be more lyrics. In other sessions it seems Brain is quite specific about how long he lets the musicians keep playing a piece for and the fade-outs are generally shorter when used on BB records of the time. I may well be wrong, mind.
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2011, 01:01:09 PM »

The main reason the fly-ins for Barnyard don't work is because of the piano.

NICE JOB on this track bruiteur!  Smiley
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 01:26:33 PM by Tricycle Rider » Logged

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2011, 08:34:45 PM »

FWIW, the piano bleed makes these songs just a bit angrier...and cool. Nothing like Brian pounding away!!
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2011, 02:13:16 PM »

I gotta say, hearing the fly-ins on the actual CD is not so bad. Somehow, when they made the sample streams for the websites, it brought out the technical flaws and made it sound a whole lot worse.

It doesn't bug me now.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx