gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:31:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TSS - All things DYLW  (Read 87882 times)
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2011, 10:08:54 AM »

That new little melody that Brian sings sounds awfully close to that the descending stand-up bass line in the chorus. Could he simply be singing it like that because he had been listening to take after take of the bass playing that line? Or, is the bass line there in the chorus track as an "echo" of the melody that was supposed to be heard in the verse section?
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2011, 10:21:48 AM »

One of the few exceptions is the "woo woo" at the end of Worms.  To paraphrase Al, that's not part of Worms.  It shouldn't be there, and of course is used in H&V, where it belongs, just two tracks earlier.

Yeah, but it does work if Worms goes into Cabinessence which I've been thinking about since the set comes out. To me, the two together tell a more complete narrative.
TheManchesterMan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2011, 12:48:42 PM »

That new little melody that Brian sings sounds awfully close to that the descending stand-up bass line in the chorus. Could he simply be singing it like that because he had been listening to take after take of the bass playing that line? Or, is the bass line there in the chorus track as an "echo" of the melody that was supposed to be heard in the verse section?

That's what I said elsewhere. It's a counterpoint to the string bass or vice versa. It may be that the newly discovered vocal melody was to be sung over that bassline, echoing the lyrics of the verse which may have been as they were recorded for BWPS. Lots of "may haves" in there, I know, bt it's a possibility.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »

That's what I said elsewhere. It's a counterpoint to the string bass or vice versa. It may be that the newly discovered vocal melody was to be sung over that bassline, echoing the lyrics of the verse which may have been as they were recorded for BWPS. Lots of "may haves" in there, I know, bt it's a possibility.

Sorry for simply repeating the info - I thought I had read everybody's take on this before posting. As it is, I reached this conclusion independently, so maybe there's something to this  Grin
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2011, 08:23:51 PM »

It's not really the same melody as the descending bassline though. Try fitting it on top of that and let's hear if it works or not. I don't think it works at all. The lyrics used are clearly the verse lyrics.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 08:25:44 PM by mammy blue » Logged
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2011, 11:40:36 PM »

It's not really the same melody as the descending bassline though. Try fitting it on top of that and let's hear if it works or not. I don't think it works at all. The lyrics used are clearly the verse lyrics.

You're right, it's the rhythm that's the same - the melody is quite different.  Still, it wasn't an uncommon thing for Brian to have a vocal melody "echoed" later in the instrumental arrangement, even in a subtle way like this would have been, so I don't doubt that there's some relation.
XXXCD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 14, 2011, 01:50:25 PM »

Just a note to say that the lyrics of Worms are authentic 1967 vintage- the Sandwich isles and East/West Indies lyrics were published in a book I read in the early 1990s (long before the 2004 Brian Wilson version of the song). I'm convinced the 1967 control booth singing is a better clue to the real melody however.

I suspect that there were a a few more lyrics as well- plus some more vocal overdubs. I'm sure the whole thing would have been smoother and flowed better as well. Its like looking at a half-finished building. All we can see is the framework and a few finished pieces.

It would have been a fantastic track (and indeed album) . Very sad that we will never hear the "real" DYLW.

I also see the link between Worms and Cabinessence by the way (another track that wasn't finished in 1967 and alternative lyrics exist for).
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2011, 11:32:46 PM »

I think the new melody is actually something we've heard before.
Vigotone 110/111: Disc 1 Track 25 0:26.

That vocal appears to be missing along with some others towards the end. Wonder what happened.

Thoughts?

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
XXXCD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2011, 02:38:53 PM »

That vocal appears to be missing along with some others towards the end. Wonder what happened.

Thoughts?

Does anyone have a link to this album (or just that track) ?
Been Too Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2011, 03:17:04 PM »

Thoughts?

Does anyone have a link to this album (or just that track) ?

THIS IS NOT THE BEACH BOYS

This is a cover version by an LA group called Ant Bee, made up of several ex-members of the Mothers of Invention. Their version was played on a radio show in the 1990’s, recorded off of this radio show and included by mistake on several bootlegs, specifically the Vigotone 2 disc set.

THIS IS NOT THE BEACH BOYS

Here is that version, combined with a newer recording of barnyard, also by Ant Bee.

http://www.ant-bee.com/barnyard.htm
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 03:20:35 PM by Been Too Long » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2011, 10:28:54 PM »

I also see the link between Worms and Cabinessence by the way (another track that wasn't finished in 1967 and alternative lyrics exist for).

The chords for the iron horse section of CE and for the verse section of DYLW both are F and Bb. For fun I once inserted the whole DYLW up to the winding down section (but without the fade) between the second chorus and the fade of CE. The transition worked extremely well!

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
XXXCD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2011, 10:41:10 AM »

Thanks for the link to Vigotone 110/111 (Track 25).

As you say, this is not the Beach Boys (pretty cool cover version though...but shame about the quality).

So Brian's control booth singing in the 2011 realease IS the only known example of this "new" Worms melody then Huh
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2011, 05:56:34 PM »

So Brian's control booth singing in the 2011 realease IS the only known example of this "new" Worms melody then Huh

It's the only known example of any melody for that part from that era.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2012, 11:39:26 AM »

I just put the control room melody to the track.  (It's an absolute perfect fit.)  Somebody wanna give me a crash course in uploading it somewhere for opinions?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 07, 2012, 06:10:39 PM »

I just put the control room melody to the track.  (It's an absolute perfect fit.)  Somebody wanna give me a crash course in uploading it somewhere for opinions?

It's been done a thousand times before, hate to say. Should be evident to anyone by now that he wasn't just dicking around and had some kind of intent with this, at least at some point in time.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 07, 2012, 09:30:55 PM »

The "vintage melody" has been in my tweaked disc 1 mix for months now. In a way,  it may be the greatest revelation in the whole set (well, that or the new Child chorus variation), but a number of folks seem to think he was just dicking around. I don't agree; the Hawaiian verse concept totally works with it in there now, but it's just a shame that he trailed off halfway through the melody line. Better than nothing, I guess...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 09:34:03 PM by mammy blue » Logged
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2012, 09:54:54 AM »

It's been done a thousand times before, hate to say. Should be evident to anyone by now that he wasn't just dicking around and had some kind of intent with this, at least at some point in time.

Sorry.  That was way more vague than it should have been.  

I actually synced up two different versions: One with the line doubled during the verse, to show what the melody (obviously with different lyrics each time) would have sounded like over the full verse, and a second with the line set against the BWPS version (still twice, in a different place the second time) to explore the call-and-answer/multiple melodies avenue.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 09:56:25 AM by Phoenix » Logged
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2012, 09:58:58 AM »

The "vintage melody" has been in my tweaked disc 1 mix for months now. In a way,  it may be the greatest revelation in the whole set (well, that or the new Child chorus variation), but a number of folks seem to think he was just dicking around. I don't agree; the Hawaiian verse concept totally works with it in there now, but it's just a shame that he trailed off halfway through the melody line. Better than nothing, I guess...

I totally agree on all those points.  Amazing revelation.  Just wish he would have remembered that bit in 2004!
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2012, 06:29:45 AM »

I actually synced up two different versions: One with the line doubled during the verse, to show what the melody (obviously with different lyrics each time) would have sounded like over the full verse, and a second with the line set against the BWPS version (still twice, in a different place the second time) to explore the call-and-answer/multiple melodies avenue.

Thanks to Hypehat's help, I uploaded the two songs.  Questions?  Thoughts?

http://www.mediafire.com/?jhz7t9q1o7g53mb

http://www.mediafire.com/?dztw18x2sazl1qb
Mac the Hat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 29, 2012, 02:11:37 AM »

Well that just works a treat, top work fella. 

I love my Carl, I love my Brian, my Dennis and my Al. I could even find it in my heart to love Mike Love

(Belle and Sebastian)
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 29, 2012, 05:06:08 PM »

the moment i heard this, i thought, if you follow the timing he sings "once upon the sandwich isles..." you can sing that melody with the rest of the words right through to upon hawaii all in the first line. Drawing out "upon hawaii" and singing it the exact same way they do in BWPS. maybe thats something he remembered in 2004? just start singing the moment the music starts and it works perfectly, isn't rushed and totally in keeping with his descending vocals as per heroes and villains, so it's not even a stretch of an idea that it may have gone like this. of course, who knows?

i think the fact he calls out to van to check and then sings is significant. it's like he's looking for agreement, so strengthens the case to me that he's singing a genuine melody, rather than made up on the spot!?!

Just my opinion, but I think there's a 99.9999% chance that you are totally correct about this.

It took me a few read-throughs of your post, combined with a couple of listens to the vintage melody to get what you were saying, but now I am almost entirely convinced that what we're hearing on the box set, *is* the real "Worms" vocal melody, when combined with the "upon Hawaii" part from RPR.  It simply sounds too good (and too much like vintage BW) to be otherwise.

I'm starting to think now that if "Worms" had been completed with this vocal melody in place, it would have been one of the stand out tracks on SMiLE.  I always wondered why Al called this song "probably the best thing we've ever did", but now it all makes sense!  Great find.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2012, 08:20:51 PM »

Well that just works a treat, top work fella. 

Thanks!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2012, 09:18:18 AM »

Yeah, sounds good! Sad that we'll never hear that melody in full....  Cry

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2012, 11:04:17 PM »

does someone with a good voice want to sing over the track using this melody?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
robertgotshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2012, 12:44:11 AM »

the moment i heard this, i thought, if you follow the timing he sings "once upon the sandwich isles..." you can sing that melody with the rest of the words right through to upon hawaii all in the first line. Drawing out "upon hawaii" and singing it the exact same way they do in BWPS. maybe thats something he remembered in 2004? just start singing the moment the music starts and it works perfectly, isn't rushed and totally in keeping with his descending vocals as per heroes and villains, so it's not even a stretch of an idea that it may have gone like this. of course, who knows?

i think the fact he calls out to van to check and then sings is significant. it's like he's looking for agreement, so strengthens the case to me that he's singing a genuine melody, rather than made up on the spot!?!
That does sound cool, but that would leave us two lines short, as you can easily fit both lines from 2004 into this new melody in the time it takes to sing one line the 2004 way. Correct?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx