gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:16:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: This place...  (Read 14804 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2011, 12:21:21 PM »

You guys are the bestest, imo. TUESDAY IS GOING TO ROCK SO HARD

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2011, 12:35:07 PM »

I envy that man. I once told a girlfriend that I would trade her life if it meant Brian Wilson would live for even a fraction of a second longer. She didn't like that.

Did you trade? ( and is she still the one?)

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2011, 12:38:02 PM »

The way I read it, Andrew has more than TWICE as many posts, yet he's not in the top 10 for on-line time.
That means he may be possibly the best ever at usage of time spent.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2011, 02:24:21 PM »

49 days, 3 hours, 37 minutes.

And every last second pure goldGrin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Will C.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2011, 02:59:44 PM »

Can we talk about Can't Wait Too Long for a second? What a great friggin' song. It's better than the entire white album put together. It's just so modern, in terms of it's ambiance it's even more forward thinking than Good Vibrations. I wonder what the lead vocal would have been, on the sessions you can hear someone singing, I dunno if it's bleed through, or someone in the studio who wasn't miced, but the song seems so close to being there, why why why why didn't they just put it together. Great friggin' song guys, A+ stuff, love it.

Can't Wait Too Long is one of my favorite Beach Boys songs, which also means it's one of my favorite songs period.  Beautiful, perfect, hypnotic, relaxing, soothing, mysterious... all of the above.  I think it's safe to say the intro harmonies are heavenly.  Very happy that we were all given the gift of the a capella to the intro via the Hawthorne 2xCD release.  Speaking of that, if anybody is still thinking about the tune, maybe they can help me track town any more bits and pieces I haven't yet had the pleasure of hearing.  Off the top of my head this is what I've experienced:

- Can't Wait Too Long from the Good Vibrations box set.  This version is about four minutes and has a unique moment at 1:45 in where you can hear Brian respond to the "Miss you darling, I miss you so hard" chant of the boys. By unique I mean I don't hear this moment in my other versions of the song.  Brian says "miss you so hard, now... come back baby, and don't break my heart, it goes... when I'm alone lying down, looking up at the stars, reliving the (sang)... reliving the times we shared when the moons the stars and the music we loved..."  Love that moment there.  It sounds like he's either teaching the rest of the boys the song or perhaps they were just messing around.  Anybody know for sure?

- Can't Wait Too Long from the Smiley Smile / Wild Honey CD release.  This version is a little over five and a half minutes.  Aside from this being a different sounding released version overall (meaning different audio quality overall), the last 40 seconds of this one has an amazing section that does not appear anywhere on the Good Vibrations version.  In my head I would call it something like a bass tag.  The bass sounds superb.  This version has Brian doing the response to the  "Miss you darling, I miss you so hard" chant of the boys, but it's cut off sooner than on the Good Vibrations box set version.  He only says "miss you so hard, now... come back baby, and don't break my heart."

- Can't Wait Too Long (A Capella Mix)  As mentioned above, it was wonderful to hear the a capella of the intro to this song via the Hawthorne 2 CD set. 

- Can't Wait Too Long - tracks from Unsurpassed Masters Volume 19.  Great audio to have if you're a big fan of the song.  Rehearsals, takes and vocal overdubs. Fishmonk mentioned earlier the moment where Brian says "This piano is so terrible, god, I hate it" at the beginning of take 1.

- Can't Wait Too Long from SMiLE Odeon Version.  This version has a wonderful 30 second piece at the beginning I've not heard in any other version of the song.

- Can't Wait Too Long (Vocals Only Fragment, 1967) from Get The Boot Volume 1 - had a chance to hear this less-than-20-second fragment recently and I found it to be VERY cool.  It's an a capella track of the boys harmonizing during the "I miss you darling, I miss you so hard.  Now come back baby and don't break my heart." The reason I find this piece to be so fascinating is because I don't hear the boys completing that line in harmony in ANY other mix or excerpt I've heard (unless I'm having a brain fart).  In the other versions I've listed and can think of, they only say "I miss you darling, I miss you so hard," and it is Brian in a speaking voice telling them how the rest of the line will go.  Anybody know anything more about this?

Alright, so there's some stuff to talk about, discuss, correct me on, ponder... whatever works!

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2011, 09:13:35 PM »

Total time logged in: 40 days, 9 hours and 5 minutes.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2011, 11:27:55 PM »

- Can't Wait Too Long from SMiLE Odeon Version.  This version has a wonderful 30 second piece at the beginning I've not heard in any other version of the song.

I love this part, who's the woman singing on it?

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Griffmanr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2011, 12:58:36 AM »

I've been lurking here for about a year and I finally just decided to get an account.  I think this place is so damn cool.  My girlfriend thinks I'm a little nuts because of how much I love the Beach Boys.  (Interestingly enough her favorite Beach Boys song is Take a Load Off Your Feet...go figure)  It's so cool that this community exists so I don't have to bore her with it anymore...lol.

"You got to let me out of this mental cage that we live in"
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2011, 02:20:47 AM »

I've been lurking here for about a year and I finally just decided to get an account.  I think this place is so damn cool.  My girlfriend thinks I'm a little nuts because of how much I love the Beach Boys.  (Interestingly enough her favorite Beach Boys song is Take a Load Off Your Feet...go figure)  It's so cool that this community exists so I don't have to bore her with it anymore...lol.

Don't kid yourself, you're still going to bore her with it all the time. But really, isn't she the one boring you by not talking about the Beach Boys all the time?

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Griffmanr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2011, 02:30:13 AM »

Don't kid yourself, you're still going to bore her with it all the time. But really, isn't she the one boring you by not talking about the Beach Boys all the time?

Haha I guess you're right.  But she's still pretty awesome.  She got me this sick Beach Boys poster print for my birthday last year lol.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2011, 03:23:12 AM »

Haha I guess you're right.  But she's still pretty awesome.  She got me this sick Beach Boys poster print for my birthday last year lol.

You need to spend more time here, in the community. I have it on good authority that your girlfriend's just a girl. Whereas we are the SMiLE disciples. We are the community. We understand. We can share your pleasure and your grief and your pain and your ecstasy. COME INTO THE COMMUNITY. YOU KNOW IT'S RIGHT…

“We live in divisive times.”
Griffmanr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2011, 04:03:01 AM »

You need to spend more time here, in the community. I have it on good authority that your girlfriend's just a girl. Whereas we are the SMiLE disciples. We are the community. We understand. We can share your pleasure and your grief and your pain and your ecstasy. COME INTO THE COMMUNITY. YOU KNOW IT'S RIGHT…

Of course it's right...that's why I finally joined.

Will C.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2011, 06:35:15 AM »

I love this part, who's the woman singing on it?

That's something I'm not sure about!

Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2011, 01:29:01 PM »

Can we talk about Can't Wait Too Long for a second? What a great friggin' song. It's better than the entire white album put together. It's just so modern, in terms of it's ambiance it's even more forward thinking than Good Vibrations. I wonder what the lead vocal would have been, on the sessions you can hear someone singing, I dunno if it's bleed through, or someone in the studio who wasn't miced, but the song seems so close to being there, why why why why didn't they just put it together. Great friggin' song guys, A+ stuff, love it.

- Can't Wait Too Long from the Good Vibrations box set.  This version is about four minutes and has a unique moment at 1:45 in where you can hear Brian respond to the "Miss you darling, I miss you so hard" chant of the boys. By unique I mean I don't hear this moment in my other versions of the song.  Brian says "miss you so hard, now... come back baby, and don't break my heart, it goes... when I'm alone lying down, looking up at the stars, reliving the (sang)... reliving the times we shared when the moons the stars and the music we loved..." 

I always heard the end of that last line as "and the music was ours"...kind of rhyming to "stars."

I too love this song, kind of obsessed about it like SMiLE, since it's tantalizingly unfinished.  I would love a Beach Boys "Can't Wait Too Long Sessions" CD, and for Brian to finish a version with the BBs or his band.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2012, 12:42:28 AM »

Even though I said many things that some of you may not agree on or even disgust you at times lol.. Most of you showed me so many new things about the beach boys that I had no clue about that..it was every enlightening and I've learned alot about music in general from you guys.
Thanks for showing me a brand new world of music and guiding me on my music journey.  Hello
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2012, 07:10:57 AM »

You must be here if you're a Beach Boy fan. This is great place to be. For all of you visitors out there please take the time to join. Thank you to AGD and everyone else who contributes such great information on our favorite band. I continue to learn something new each time I visit. I look here for breaking news, also.

The drama with Phil dosen't bother me much. I enjoy reading Andrew's replies. We don't want to see Andrew get stressed out, though.

This is a really special time in Beach Boys history. Just think if we had this board (and internet) in the 1960's-1970's (for those of us/you who were fans or alive then)! I visit here every time I'm on the net.
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2012, 07:30:38 AM »

This is a great board. I've read this board, the blue board and the cabinessence board for many years, but only just recently finally joined one to post...this one.

The Blue board "Brian is god, Mike is the devil" schtick is old and tired. Sycophants, they are.

Cabinessence was a great board to read, but hardly anyone ever posts over there anymore.

This board has lively discussion and incredibly knowledgeable fans...this is the place to be. 

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2012, 08:53:21 AM »

I suspect that many of them don't like that I open old threads but they are so interesting, no less than new ones, that I can't help writing down my Top-10 BBs songs or the songs that has grown the most or whatever threads. I just wasn't lucky & quick enough to find the board earlier and post my answers at the right time, i.e. 2011 year threads in 2011, 2009 in 2009 year etc. I know, rule is the rule and nobody has special honor to get rid of it but all of you can ignore me. I write 'cause I just like to do it and that's OK with me if nobody reads my posts, I'm too fond of this board to care about it.   

I may be wrong but I don't think anyone gets too fussed about old threads being resurrected. Personally I enjoy the continuity and prefer it that way rather than having the same threads constantly restarted.

I love this board. For the most part people here are friendly and respectful of one another and there is surprisingly little snobbery and condescension towards newbies considering how knowledgeable many regulars are (and patient, when explaining that Brian actually wrote the Mike Love rant for the 8000th time!)

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Jason
« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2012, 11:34:51 AM »

The Blue board "Brian is god, Mike is the devil" schtick is old and tired. Sycophants, they are.

You just becamee
 my new favoritee poster for that
 remark alonee.

(Trying to mix between posting limericks and smilinjeanie nonsense)
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2012, 11:58:25 AM »

I love you guys because you've kept me from being dumped.

My girl likes the Beach Boys, but doesn't hear the stuff like we do. I can talk as much as I want about them here! Lol!

Plus, you guys are brilliant.
Thanks for all the knowledge!

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Jason
« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2012, 12:04:25 PM »

I love you guys because you've kept me from being dumped.

My girl likes the Beach Boys, but doesn't hear the stuff like we do. I can talk as much as I want about them here! Lol!

Plus, you guys are brilliant.
Thanks for all the knowledge!

If your girlfriend will dump you for that reason I'd suggest dumping her first because she's obviously a drama queen. Just a thought.
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2012, 12:07:21 PM »

Ha, I was only kidding.
I made her fill out a questionnaire about the guys before I'd date her.

Grin

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2012, 12:17:20 PM »

Ha, I was only kidding.
I made her fill out a questionnaire about the guys before I'd date her.

Grin
LOL Priceless!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2012, 12:36:51 PM »

I may be wrong but I don't think anyone gets too fussed about old threads being resurrected.

It gives us a chance to disagree with ourselves.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 10, 2012, 03:27:01 PM »

For the most part people here are friendly and respectful of one another and there is surprisingly little condescension.

Yeah.          For the most part.......

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx