gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680877 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 01:33:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So where are all the guys?  (Read 7191 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2011, 07:09:57 PM »

I'm increasing puzzled over the absence of the Beach Boys in relation to the Smile Sessions.

Okay, Al broke the news initially, but has said next to nothing since.

Mike's statement in the first official press release has been used here and there but virtually nowt since.

Bruce spoke up on the BBC Radio 4 section the other evening but I read his statements denying the arguing as being a little on the defensive side, while his suggestion that SMiLE could have been a BW solo project benefited more than a little from hindsight.

Van Dyke Parks has been interviewed quite a bit here and there but seems to be absent from the material in the box (other than his lyrical contribution to the songs, of course, which some might argue is all that is needed).

But Brian's being worked hard. Brian's the one doing the interviews left right and centre. Brian's the one signing limited edition boxes and surf boards. Brian's the one making videos showing off the box on YouTube. Brianwilson.com is virtually the official info source.

Are Mike and Al under some restraining order? Is there a real risk they'd be taken to task by any interviewer over the "don't fook with the formula" stuff?

Rightly or wrongly I sense some politics at work throughout this, and I'm curious. Be nice to get it out of the way before the box lands!

“We live in divisive times.”
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 07:12:33 PM »

I've read that Mike is allegedly refusing to do interviews for this release

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 07:18:11 PM »

Not suprised, wonder if its because he still hates smile or he just doesn't want interviewers asking the same old questions about his dislike of smile.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 07:23:10 PM »

Not suprised, wonder if its because he still hates smile or he just doesn't want interviewers asking the same old questions about his dislike of smile.

The latter, I hope anyway  LOL

JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 07:29:54 PM »

The latter, I hope anyway  LOL

It could simply be that Brian is the public face of the group now which in enough of itself is odd being that he actually isn't part of the group anymore.   Huh

Brian however, certainly has gotten more face time in the past decade as far as public relations go than any of his former band mates.  With all these tours he's been doing this past decade it seems like he's been everywhere and then some.  New albums, new tours, interviews, accepting awards all that good stuff.    Maybe a collective decision was made to let Brian be the point man on this release being a) he's the creator of the music itself and b) the aforementioned PR issue

Then again the rest of them could all be chizzling at the hamburger stand or shopping for some sweet Halloween costumes?

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 07:43:24 PM »

The latter, I hope anyway  LOL

It could simply be that Brian is the public face of the group now which in enough of itself is odd being that he actually isn't part of the group anymore.   Huh

Brian however, certainly has gotten more face time in the past decade as far as public relations go than any of his former band mates.  With all these tours he's been doing this past decade it seems like he's been everywhere and then some.  New albums, new tours, interviews, accepting awards all that good stuff.    Maybe a collective decision was made to let Brian be the point man on this release being a) he's the creator of the music itself and b) the aforementioned PR issue

Then again the rest of them could all be chizzling at the hamburger stand or shopping for some sweet Halloween costumes?

A music journalist on twitter wrote how he has gotten interviews with everyone expect Mike, Mike was a no show..

He's been a no show for a few interviews so far, sad really

"Got Brian Wilson the other day. Al Jardine tomorrow. But Mike Love remains a no show. Come on Mike... let's talk SMiLE!"

"Now I've got Al Jardine. Along with Brian, Brian's wife, Bruce and archivist Alan Boyd. Come on Mike Love. You gotta talk."
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 07:45:37 PM by Slim Shady » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 11:16:46 PM »

Interesting how this has gone from "Mike allegedly won't do any promo" to him being chewed out for that in seventeen minutes.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
John Stivaktas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 11:37:04 PM »

Everyone take a chill pill and relax from posting innuendo and conspiracy theories! I'm sure Mike will make some profound statement in regards to SMiLE's release next week.

"It's more blessed to give than receive"

“For me, making music has always been a very spiritual thing, and I think anybody who produces records has to feel that, at least a little bit. Producing a record . . . the idea of taking a song, envisioning the overall sound in my head and then bringing the arrangement to life in the studio . . . well, that gives me satisfaction like nothing else.”

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 05:12:57 AM »

Hmm, the average  Mike Love 'Smile' interview, let's see how that would go.

Question 1: Why did you hate 'Smile'?
Question 2: Do you still hate 'Smile'?
Question 3: Why did you agree on having 'The Smile Sessions' released now, even though you hate it?
Question 4: Did Van Dyke Parks really quit because you hated his lyrics?

If Mike's not all that enthousiastic about doing interviews about 'Smile', I think I can see why.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 05:55:22 AM »

It might be that Mike has settled in to keeping the band on the road and continuing to perform a quality act with his very good band.  He seems to see that as his role now, just continuing to keep it alive.  The rest will take care of itself. He continues to meditate and maybe this is what he has arrived at.  A sort of zen state of just letting it be.  What is there to promote?   The continued excellent performances and the Beach Boys as an institution are all that are  reallyneeded to keep it going.    And the SMiLE legend is so closely tied to Brian, it seems natural to leave the promotion to him, and others who might have an interest in promoting SMiLE, or just getting their names in print somewhere.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 06:02:52 AM by donald » Logged
Jimmie_R
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 06:04:43 AM »

"Got Brian Wilson the other day. Al Jardine tomorrow. But Mike Love remains a no show. Come on Mike... let's talk SMiLE!"
"Now I've got Al Jardine. Along with Brian, Brian's wife, Bruce and archivist Alan Boyd. Come on Mike Love. You gotta talk."

Now who is this? I´d really like to read those interviews.
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 06:57:28 AM »

Whatever Mike's attitude really is about Smile, I think he ought to man up and own it. Brian has for some time, and imagine how difficult that must be for him at times--people openly discussing his mental illness, the collapse of the project closest to his heart, the subsequent difficulties of his band, etc.

Of course, he can do whatever he wants. And ultimately it's really not that important that he's not saying anything.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 07:52:34 AM »

Of course, this is the 2nd time Brian has had to discuss SMiLE and its effect on his health in depth with people in ten years!

I'd like to know what Mike thinks, really. But we have no idea why he's reluctant to talk. Being chewed out by journalists probably the most likely reason, his responses to SMiLE talk have hardly been friendly at best.... The 'You owe me $20' response springs to mind  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 05:49:14 PM »

Interviews with both Brian and Mike are reportedly coming in the December ish of Goldmine.  Smiley
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 06:20:12 PM »

I agree. By "Brian's wife," I assume this journalist means Marilyn. Interviews with Brian, Al, Bruce, Alan Boyd, and Marilyn? Yes, where do I read?
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 07:36:17 PM »

Mike is fucking cool.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2011, 09:22:53 PM »

isn;t alab boyd that guy from incubvus. dio not want.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011, 09:50:08 PM »

I'm increasing puzzled over the absence of the Beach Boys in relation to the Smile Sessions.

Okay, Al broke the news initially, but has said next to nothing since.

Mike's statement in the first official press release has been used here and there but virtually nowt since.

Bruce spoke up on the BBC Radio 4 section the other evening but I read his statements denying the arguing as being a little on the defensive side, while his suggestion that SMiLE could have been a BW solo project benefited more than a little from hindsight.

Van Dyke Parks has been interviewed quite a bit here and there but seems to be absent from the material in the box (other than his lyrical contribution to the songs, of course, which some might argue is all that is needed).

But Brian's being worked hard. Brian's the one doing the interviews left right and centre. Brian's the one signing limited edition boxes and surf boards. Brian's the one making videos showing off the box on YouTube. Brianwilson.com is virtually the official info source.

Are Mike and Al under some restraining order? Is there a real risk they'd be taken to task by any interviewer over the "don't fook with the formula" stuff?

Rightly or wrongly I sense some politics at work throughout this, and I'm curious. Be nice to get it out of the way before the box lands!

All is as it should be.  All the fanboys would go apeshit if Mike Love was giong around saying ANYTHING about Smile.  Remember, the story is Mike hates it.  So if he gave any interview at all about anything to do with it, it would clash with the legend.  Mike, Al, or Bruce didn't write any of it, it's Brian's baby so he should be the one doing the interviews, imho. 
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2011, 10:06:53 PM »

I agree. By "Brian's wife," I assume this journalist means Marilyn. Interviews with Brian, Al, Bruce, Alan Boyd, and Marilyn? Yes, where do I read?

He works for the Boston Globe, here's his twitter

http://twitter.com/#!/gedgers1

Don't think his interviews have been published yet, Mike is stalling

Trying to finish Smile story but slow going. In reality, putting off inevitable in hopes my hero Mike Love will finally call.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 10:08:05 PM by Slim Shady » Logged

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2011, 08:06:14 AM »

Regarding Mike's apparent refusal to be involved in the promotion of Smile...

Believe me, I generally hate sticking up for this guy, but...in this case I need to...it might not be so much that he "refuses," but probably DECLINES quite simply because he literally knows he can't contribute much; his involvement in Smile was little, if anything, more than vocals here and there. He wasn't around during the creation, he doesn't know where Brian's head was at, what the atmosphere was like, etc. Remember the Smile portion of Endless Harmony where Mike laughs and says something like "Why are you asking me about that?" Quite simply, he's probably saying/implying, "Look, if you want input about Smile, I'm not going to be a good source. Talk to someone who was more involved. Hey, instead, let me sing you a song I wrote. It's called 'Wrinkles.'"

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2011, 08:48:54 AM »

That's exactly how I see it too.  It would be a bit disrespectful of Mike to even talk about it, seeing as how he's been painted, and also seeing as how he had little to do with the album. 

On the other side of it, which I'm sure most people won't really agree with, but oh well.... it's kind of disrespectful (unless done in the most casual way) to even ask Mike about it.  The only possible reason somebody would ask Mike about Smile is to stir up some sh*t. 
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2011, 11:05:38 AM »

Marilyn would be cool but it's probably Melinda.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2011, 01:36:53 PM »

Mike's working on his '..the crow flies..' line for next year. Grin

http://gothamist.com/2011/10/27/brian_wilson.php

Have you considered touring with The Beach Boys who are still alive, and performing the Smile material?

Brian: I don't know, we haven't discussed that yet.

JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2011, 03:02:46 PM »

Mike's working on his '..the crow flies..' line for next year. Grin

http://gothamist.com/2011/10/27/brian_wilson.php

Have you considered touring with The Beach Boys who are still alive, and performing the Smile material?

Brian: I don't know, we haven't discussed that yet.

I read that interview earlier today.  Kind of your standard "yes, no" BW interview but I did enjoy this part:

What do you think about the raft of newer musicians, such as Panda Bear, who see you as an influence. Do you listen to their music at all? No I don't actually. I listen to oldies but goodies records.

Are there any contemporary bands or singers that you enjoy?
Oldies but goodies.

What was that interviewer trying to do?  Get Brian to admit he is a regular follower of American Idol?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 03:04:21 PM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2011, 03:39:05 PM »

Good on Brian fronting all these interviews about Smile. I would want to have a sign or T-shirt saying 'Same as 2004!' as my answer.

No offence to the others but it is better to talk to the organ grinder. With the box signings, PR etc he is earning what I'm sure is a bigger cut of the earnings aside from his writing percentage.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx