gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 03:12:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ten Underappreciated Beach Boys Albums  (Read 20991 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2011, 06:10:29 PM »

Let the 26 year old blogger praise the Surfer Girl LP (which ain't no The Wall, or Revolver, or Spector's Christmas, btw)
and move on!

You're right - it's better than The Wall and Revolver, although I haven't heard the Spector album.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2011, 06:40:03 PM »

You should definitely check the Spector Christmas album. One of the greatest albums ever made.

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2011, 08:58:16 PM »

I'm with Jon on this ...

My perspective is a bit in the middle; I was born in '79, but became seriously into the Beach Boys around my 13th birthday in 1992.  In fact, for my 13th birthday, i bought Brian's brand-new 'autobiography' along with vinyl copies of "Wild Honey", "Friends", "15 Big Ones", "Love You", "MIU", etc, etc ... I was poor and the records were $2-$8 each.  This was before the internet, so it was all fanzines, cassettes, etc. (whatever happened the "Friends of Dennis Wilson" 'zine?).

In any case, "Pet Sounds" was acclaimed but in general "Endless Summer" was the standard.  You wouldn't readily find "20/20", "Friends," etc unless you were deep-diving the records bins.

Based on my observation, the popular tide turned late '90s-early '00s with the "Endless Harmony" doc and the '70s reissues.  Keep in mind, you couldn't get a new CD copy of "Sunflower", "Surf's Up", or "Holland" during most of the '90s.  The Capitol albums were always in print.  I would bet money that "Surfer Girl" was still selling more copies than "Friends" during the whole decade.  And worth pointing out, Rolling Stone never really took the Beach Boys seriously until more recent years.  During the '90s, I recall reading their 'bible' record guide and noting how albums like "Sunflower" and "Friends" would be rated at something like 2 stars and "Surfer Girl/Shut Down Vol 2" might have 3 or 4.

In any case, "Surfer Girl" is widely regarded as the first 'serious' Beach Boys album, and is notable for being the first credited to Brian as producer.  Many of the tracks are well known by the general public as identifiable BB songs.  A good bulk of the "Endless Summer" vibe is built around these tracks.  I would even go as far as saying this album (along with "All Summer Long" and "Summer Days") basically represents the definitive popular Beach Boys sound.

The most under-appreciated Beach Boys album?  At this point, "Smiley Smile" ... I wonder what fate has in store for this record?

« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 09:30:14 PM by DonnyL » Logged

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2011, 09:26:24 PM »

You should definitely check the Spector Christmas album. One of the greatest albums ever made.

But he killed folks :O

(Naw, I should.)

(Check out the album, not kill folks.)

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
rocksucker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2011, 07:14:36 AM »

The most under-appreciated Beach Boys album?  At this point, "Smiley Smile" ... I wonder what fate has in store for this record?

Disagree. I appreciate it Tongue Wink

rocksucker.co.uk
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2011, 01:41:03 PM »

wid honey is extremely under-rated even with bb fans :/
the whole album is great it just takes sum time 2 sit in. Grin

Agreed. "Aren't You Glad" is one of the most quietly majestic songs I've ever heard.

Er...I mean, watch this space Wink

yes "arent you glad" is what made me want 2 give wild honey an extra listen Smiley and i grew 2 love it
it stands out so much in the bb catalog Smiley
rocksucker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2011, 02:16:05 PM »

4. Summer Days (and Summer Nights!!)

http://jonnyabrams.blogspot.com/2011/12/ten-underappreciated-beach-boys-lps.html

rocksucker.co.uk
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2011, 11:19:35 PM »

Wow, pretty rude for just your third post. So, it's OK for you to write about and critique Beach Boys albums, but not OK to critique your blog?

Is it me, or are us Beach Boys fans a dysfunctional lot?  Whilst I don't see the logic in how some of the albums mentioned in this blog are exactly "under-appreciated", why must we get so worked up over this? 

But I'll have some fun with this: I think Summer In Paradise is a pretty under appreciated album.  Largely because it sucks. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2011, 11:50:05 PM »

Well, maybe according to rocksucker ALL the BBs albums are underapreciated. Which is true for us hard core fans! I mean think about it, most people just know the hits. A lot of people that call themselves BB fans know 30 plus BB songs, but couldn't name a single album except maybe Pet Sounds.

I would say the MOST appreciated BB albums are:

1. Pet Sounds
2. All Summer Long
3. Surfer Girl
4. Today
5. Summer Days/Summer Nights

Even so, they may not have the appreciation that people give to say:

Sgt Pepper
Rubber Soul
Revolver
White Album
Abby Road

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2011, 06:18:14 AM »

Wow, pretty rude for just your third post. So, it's OK for you to write about and critique Beach Boys albums, but not OK to critique your blog?

Is it me, or are us Beach Boys fans a dysfunctional lot?  Whilst I don't see the logic in how some of the albums mentioned in this blog are exactly "under-appreciated", why must we get so worked up over this? 

But I'll have some fun with this: I think Summer In Paradise is a pretty under appreciated album.  Largely because it sucks. 
I think the confusion about "under appreciated" lies in the fact that maybe those albums are to the general public under 40 years old, but claiming they are under appreciated on a Beach Boys forum didn't make a lot of sense. The blog's author didn't take kindly to being critiqued, himself. I think when a person creates such a thing, they need to know their audience.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
rocksucker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2011, 08:03:11 AM »

I think the confusion about "under appreciated" lies in the fact that maybe those albums are to the general public under 40 years old, but claiming they are under appreciated on a Beach Boys forum didn't make a lot of sense. The blog's author didn't take kindly to being critiqued, himself. I think when a person creates such a thing, they need to know their audience.

Author here. I don't mind the critique at all - there's been a lot on this thread and I've taken it on board - but I do take exception to discourtesy. Just to clarify, these articles are intended more for the general public/non-Beach Boys fans than for the people on here - it's pretty obvious that these albums aren't underappreciated by hardcore Beach Boys fans - but nonetheless I figured that some people might have got a kick out of reading about Beach Boys albums that aren't often written about beyond these realms. Perhaps I didn't do a good job of presenting it from that angle, but I'm going to keep writing them and posting them because I enjoy it and would love it if even one person who hadn't otherwise considered listening to these records did so upon my recommendation.

If you still take issue with this, then just ignore it. (I mean that in a friendly, non-snippy way by the way!) I like writing about bands and albums I love and thought others might enjoy reading them - that's about it. "Underappreciated Beach Boys albums" (by the world at large, as mentioned in the brief intro) does not mean "crap Beach Boys albums", to answer to one or two others, so expect to be exasperated by the remaining choices if this is how you see it Smiley

rocksucker.co.uk
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2011, 08:31:20 AM »

Author here. I don't mind the critique at all - there's been a lot on this thread and I've taken it on board - but I do take exception to discourtesy. Just to clarify, these articles are intended more for the general public/non-Beach Boys fans than for the people on here - it's pretty obvious that these albums aren't underappreciated by hardcore Beach Boys fans - but nonetheless I figured that some people might have got a kick out of reading about Beach Boys albums that aren't often written about beyond these realms. Perhaps I didn't do a good job of presenting it from that angle, but I'm going to keep writing them and posting them because I enjoy it and would love it if even one person who hadn't otherwise considered listening to these records did so upon my recommendation.

If you still take issue with this, then just ignore it. (I mean that in a friendly, non-snippy way by the way!) I like writing about bands and albums I love and thought others might enjoy reading them - that's about it. "Underappreciated Beach Boys albums" (by the world at large, as mentioned in the brief intro) does not mean "crap Beach Boys albums", to answer to one or two others, so expect to be exasperated by the remaining choices if this is how you see it Smiley
I don't take issue with anything at this point. The poster quoted my October 23rd post, and I was explaining why things started out the way they did back then. Since then I believe it is quite understood what you were/are going for with your blog.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
rocksucker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2011, 09:11:42 AM »

Gotcha Dr BB.

rocksucker.co.uk
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2011, 11:22:33 AM »

Perhaps a point could also be made that back in 1963, music was much more single oriented then albums. I wasn't alive back then, but I'm guessing that albums weren't a big deal as an entire peace of work until 65 or 66 (?).

I have a hard time finding albums by Buddy Holly, Roy Orbison, etc, they are all greatest hits in the stores today from that period. As for BB albums, there is just about always a copy of Pet Sounds and several greatest hits. The other albums are common, but not always stocked at stores today.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2011, 12:06:46 AM »

"Kiss Me Baby” flaunts the xylophone and clacking percussion that would become so key to the Pet Sounds experience, but it is “She Knows Me Too Well” that truly sits alongside “Please Let Me Wonder” as the album’s melancholic highlight."

This is crazy to pick PLMW over KMB. KMB is better musically, it's stylistic, the "orchestration" is perfect, a stronger chorus, the back and forth between vocals and guitar.....it's more significant than PLMW.

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 05, 2011, 01:25:24 AM »

The "Today" opinion is kinda interesting, considering it's actually one of the few originals currently in print (in an el cheapo edition, mind).  I often see vintage vinyl pressings in a the 2nd hand joints, which usually indicates that it sold well at the time.

I'm always suprised that the "Lost and Found" stuff hasn't been bought back into the fold - legalities and overall quality aside, it provides a historical insight into this band's origin and as well as a document of a sliver of the LA music industry at the time
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 02:38:27 AM by Alholio71 » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 05, 2011, 05:02:42 AM »

The "Today" opinion is kinda interesting, considering it's actually one of the few originals currently in print (in an el cheapo edition, mind).  I often see vintage vinyl pressings in a the 2nd hand joints, which usually indicates that it sold well at the time.

I'm always suprised that the "Lost and Found" stuff hasn't been bought back into the fold - legalities and overall quality aside, it provides a historical insight into this band's origin and as well as a document of a sliver of the LA music industry at the time
Found a great mono copy of Today! for two dollars a few months back.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rocksucker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 05, 2011, 01:58:54 PM »

"Kiss Me Baby” flaunts the xylophone and clacking percussion that would become so key to the Pet Sounds experience, but it is “She Knows Me Too Well” that truly sits alongside “Please Let Me Wonder” as the album’s melancholic highlight."

This is crazy to pick PLMW over KMB. KMB is better musically, it's stylistic, the "orchestration" is perfect, a stronger chorus, the back and forth between vocals and guitar.....it's more significant than PLMW.

It's taken a while to get there, but *this* is the kind of debate I was hoping for Wink Tongue

My good man: I wouldn't say it was "crazy" to proffer an opinion, but then I see I did use the word "truly" so I guess we're quits! For what it's worth, I place SKMTW ahead of both of them, as I would "Let Him Run Wild" (I know it's not on the same album but, heck, it could have been).

Also disagree with KMB having a stronger chorus than PLMW. If anything, I feel that its chorus lets it down a touch, at least compared to the splendour of the "late late last night" breakdown.

rocksucker.co.uk
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 05, 2011, 06:15:38 PM »

I bought Today! in vinyl at a record store in my hometown for 18 bucks, newly pressed and in mono.  I was really surprised to see it...it was sitting right next to a vinyl Pet Sounds!

@ the author, I love the blog by the way.  I feel bad for the harsh criticism you've gotten here, being sixteen and constantly struggling to convince my "musically oriented friends" to embrace the Beach Boys leads me to sympathize with your cause.  So many people my age, and into their twenties, who may even call themselves fans, simply know nothing of the beautiful albums the Beach Boys created.  It's really a shame some of the older members on this board jumped at you so quickly.  Personally, knowing your intention to inform the "outside" world of some of the Beach Boys work and exposing the modern record buying public to the music, I think your choices are great.  I'm looking forward to seeing Surf's Up, do you think you'll end up writing about that one?

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
rocksucker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 05, 2011, 11:34:41 PM »

I bought Today! in vinyl at a record store in my hometown for 18 bucks, newly pressed and in mono.  I was really surprised to see it...it was sitting right next to a vinyl Pet Sounds!

@ the author, I love the blog by the way.  I feel bad for the harsh criticism you've gotten here, being sixteen and constantly struggling to convince my "musically oriented friends" to embrace the Beach Boys leads me to sympathize with your cause.  So many people my age, and into their twenties, who may even call themselves fans, simply know nothing of the beautiful albums the Beach Boys created.  It's really a shame some of the older members on this board jumped at you so quickly.  Personally, knowing your intention to inform the "outside" world of some of the Beach Boys work and exposing the modern record buying public to the music, I think your choices are great.  I'm looking forward to seeing Surf's Up, do you think you'll end up writing about that one?

Thanks Zach. It does seem unfair that these albums weren't 'canonised' in the way that, say, The Beatles' back catalogue has been (not that that didn't deserve to). Each album is quietly monumental in its own different way, none more so than Surf's Up which is indeed on the list. In fact I'd wager that most on here would be able to predict the remaining choices quite easily!

By the way, in a totally non-patronising way, well done for having such fine taste so young Smiley Think I'd have been closer to 18 when I first ventured past Pet Sounds and started listening to Sunflower/Surf's Up. I remember I was doing work experience at a book publishing company, photocopying, that kind of thing. The work was stultifying but the music makes that week strangely significant in retrospect (it's when I first started listening to Pixies as well).

This reminds me that I was likely switched onto Sunflower/Surf's Up after seeing them mentioned in conjunction with my favourite band at the time (and still one of them), Super Furry Animals. Anyone else here a fan?

rocksucker.co.uk
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 05, 2011, 11:54:16 PM »

Thanks Zach. It does seem unfair that these albums weren't 'canonised' in the way that, say, The Beatles' back catalogue has been (not that that didn't deserve to). Each album is quietly monumental in its own different way, none more so than Surf's Up which is indeed on the list. In fact I'd wager that most on here would be able to predict the remaining choices quite easily!

By the way, in a totally non-patronising way, well done for having such fine taste so young Smiley Think I'd have been closer to 18 when I first ventured past Pet Sounds and started listening to Sunflower/Surf's Up. I remember I was doing work experience at a book publishing company, photocopying, that kind of thing. The work was stultifying but the music makes that week strangely significant in retrospect (it's when I first started listening to Pixies as well).

This reminds me that I was likely switched onto Sunflower/Surf's Up after seeing them mentioned in conjunction with my favourite band at the time (and still one of them), Super Furry Animals. Anyone else here a fan?
You can't compare any beach boys albums to beatles albums. The only ones that can stand up to what the beatles did are pet sounds,smile sessions & today.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 06, 2011, 01:30:32 AM »

Super Furry Animals. Anyone else here a fan?

Good god, yes!  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 06, 2011, 01:44:21 AM »

Super Furry Animals. Anyone else here a fan?

Good god, yes!  Grin

Ditto that!!

[/quote]
(it's when I first started listening to Pixies as well).

and lovin' that too.  I hit an initial wall with the BB's around '88 and gap-filled with Black Francis and Mrs John Smith et al
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 01:45:51 AM by Alholio71 » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 06, 2011, 01:54:42 AM »

You can't compare any beach boys albums to beatles albums. The only ones that can stand up to what the beatles did are pet sounds,smile sessions & today.

You mad? I say even the best songs on Pet Sounds are not in the same league as timeless classics such as "Maxwell's Silver Hammer", "All Together Now" and "Within You Without You".
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 06, 2011, 02:06:06 AM »

...being sixteen and constantly struggling to convince my "musically oriented friends" to embrace the Beach Boys leads me to sympathize with your cause.  So many people my age, and into their twenties, who may even call themselves fans, simply know nothing of the beautiful albums the Beach Boys created.  

Stick to your BB guns, Zack, it's great to hear about your unconditional passion and enthusiasm.  I have similar memories about arguing with purveyors of fine music, and as I drifted towards the indie music scene, I despaired and bailed on our Heros for a couple of years (but we are talkin' around the Still Cruisin' and BW 88 era, so I did not need much prompting).
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 02:08:32 AM by Alholio71 » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx