gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681511 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 07:56:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Wouldnt it be nice.. My own story"  (Read 11491 times)
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2012, 07:50:22 PM »

The LSD related experiences depicted in the book have always been my favorite passages.

Studies have shown that LSD experiences can be vividly & emotionally recalled 40 years after they originally occurred (my source for this is a book about Oscar Janiger's LSD studies). If someone invented these accounts for WIBN they did a great job of faking things.

"Connect, Always Connect..." - Arthur Koestler

"No discovery has ever been made by logical deduction..." - Arthur Koestler
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2012, 07:59:14 PM »

Reboot of this thread after 11 months!

Just coming down from a LSD trip Bill? Grin A lot has happened in BB land while you were away. Wink
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2012, 08:03:00 PM »

Fill me in.

"Connect, Always Connect..." - Arthur Koestler

"No discovery has ever been made by logical deduction..." - Arthur Koestler
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2012, 10:29:00 PM »

If believed every word of this book, then I'd have to be not only anti-Mike, but anti-Carl, anti-Al, and anti-pretty-much-anyone-named-Wilson, with the exception of Dennis, who, in spite of his many faults, is forgiven because, after all, he was an out of control drug addict. Carl is blamed for his death, Landy is God.....oh how I hate this book.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2012, 12:34:57 AM »

Just a few thoughts...

First of all, I have to say that while I have to agree that WIBNMOS is a hunk of crap, I do suspect that the day-by-day detail-by-detail description of Landy's treatments probably are accurate; it makes the book serve as a commercial for Landy's services. It is interesting how a lot of the chapters are a bit vague, but then when Landy is introduced suddenly "Brian" discusses everything.

I love how in the list of different tracks recorded for Smile "Brian" actually has "George Fell" in the list!

And the picture of Brian with the dog that's allegedly Banana....uhh, no, beagles don't look anything like that!

Brian laying down a bass track for Pet Sounds?? Sure.

BTW, am I the only one who despises the Timothy White book?? You could probably write a small book just about the inaccuracies in it...

WIBN is a sack of crap. And agreed, i don't much like the Timothy White book either. He's almost completely dismissive of stellar albums like Surf's Up and - in particular - Holland, but then he foams at the mouth with praise for Beach Boys '85 (now i actually think BB '85 is a lot better than it's dreadful rep implies, but ''almost as good as Sunflower''...?)
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2012, 06:28:28 AM »

I read up until he meets Landy, and then I stopped, because it gets really creepy.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2012, 12:43:21 PM »

Landy wrote it.  Although from a couple of old interviews I read from that time period Brian talked like Landy sometimes.  Brian repeated a lot of therapy lingo and said nasty things about his family, but also that he wasn't allowed to see them very much.  Brian was brainwashed.  He seemed like a kidnap victim who started to agree with the people keeping him captive so he wouldn't get in any trouble.
AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2012, 02:40:51 PM »

wierd I've just read this on holiday last week (having read 'catch a wave' a couple of years back).

I'd heard it was kinda co-written with Landy a while back so was a bit skeptical.
Defo interesting in a kinda ghoulish way, more so in the latter 3rd.
This book has distorted my head abit so I think I'm going to have to reread 'catch a wave' again striaght off to get some better oversight.

bad example but.. I'd watched this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZSAQX2uuUY
aages ago, but hearin it mentioned in WIBNMOS was interesting.

I don't know whether or what to believe with the relationship with his dad & family, stan love etc, really shockin if the majority of it is true.
It's amusing hearing Landy's various job title's as the book progress's  Roll Eyes LOL police

It's got me wondering is there another book other than 'catch a wave' i could read to get a more rounded view, sure WIBNMOS is SKETCHY to put it mildly but it's got me keen to read another book that's not so dubious/'managed'/ulterior content as this but diferent from 'catch a wave'

These are the only 2 I've read on the Beach Boys and Brian Wilson & would love to read another, I'd thought I'd throw it out and ask for a recommendation from you if that's okay?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2012, 09:42:39 PM »

Can't go wrong with this IMO but I'm sure AGD or others can give you there thoughts on whether it rates 5 stars.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Nearest-Far-Away-Place/dp/0805047026

...and you should also consider this.

The Lost Beach Boy. As a bonus, The author Jon Stebbins posts here so thats got to show the quality of the guy!

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Beach-Boy-founding-members/dp/B005HKVVBU/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1346647141&sr=1-1&keywords=the+lost+beach+boy
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 09:43:59 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2012, 01:50:35 AM »

wierd I've just read this on holiday last week (having read 'catch a wave' a couple of years back).

I'd heard it was kinda co-written with Landy a while back so was a bit skeptical.
Defo interesting in a kinda ghoulish way, more so in the latter 3rd.
This book has distorted my head abit so I think I'm going to have to reread 'catch a wave' again striaght off to get some better oversight.

bad example but.. I'd watched this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZSAQX2uuUY
aages ago, but hearin it mentioned in WIBNMOS was interesting.

I don't know whether or what to believe with the relationship with his dad & family, stan love etc, really shockin if the majority of it is true.
It's amusing hearing Landy's various job title's as the book progress's  Roll Eyes LOL police

It's got me wondering is there another book other than 'catch a wave' i could read to get a more rounded view, sure WIBNMOS is SKETCHY to put it mildly but it's got me keen to read another book that's not so dubious/'managed'/ulterior content as this but diferent from 'catch a wave'

These are the only 2 I've read on the Beach Boys and Brian Wilson & would love to read another, I'd thought I'd throw it out and ask for a recommendation from you if that's okay?

Catch A Wave is really the best one. People criticise it for being Brian-centric (it is a biography of Brian expressly, no sh*t), but he gives everyone a fair shot at portraying themselves IMO. Mike's interview is great. It's also the best overview of the career as whole.

Carlin also drops in here on occasion, too.

If you're looking for a different approach, Steven Gaines' Heroes & Villains offers an at times incredibly inaccurate but sleazy and honest portrayal of the group. The Nearest Faraway Place is great in terms of California history.

If Smile floats your boat and you can find it cheap, Dominic Priore's Smile book (NOT Look Listen, Vibrate, Smile - you need to own that anyway) is good for the extensive Van Dyke interviews, less so on little details.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2012, 01:54:36 AM »

Have you read the David Leaf book Hypehat? I keep hearing good things about it, but a used copy is expensive

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2012, 03:32:01 AM »

there are two stories in the "autobiography" that I've always wondered about, but I never have been able to get a straight answer on here. One is the story of a 1979 gig in Canada, I believe. "Brian" talks about being so drunk that he actually laid down on the stage and fell asleep. The other one talks about Brian totally rearranging a song right in the middle of a concert. Did either of these stories ever actually happen?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2012, 03:36:19 AM »

Have you read the David Leaf book Hypehat? I keep hearing good things about it, but a used copy is expensive

I haven't, for the same reason.

Jay, the 'key of BW' quote springs to mind....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2012, 04:19:31 AM »

The story of Brian chasing Barbara Rovell and her ripping a wart off his thumb has stuck in my mind as something Brain recounted in one of those terse interviews with Todd Gold...sounds  implausible enough to have really happened angel

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2012, 06:27:28 AM »

Can't go wrong with this IMO but I'm sure AGD or others can give you there thoughts on whether it rates 5 stars.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Nearest-Far-Away-Place/dp/0805047026

...and you should also consider this.

The Lost Beach Boy. As a bonus, The author Jon Stebbins posts here so thats got to show the quality of the guy!

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Beach-Boy-founding-members/dp/B005HKVVBU/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1346647141&sr=1-1&keywords=the+lost+beach+boy

ace, thanks vmuch for this Smiley
AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2012, 06:34:39 AM »

If Smile floats your boat and you can find it cheap, Dominic Priore's Smile book (NOT Look Listen, Vibrate, Smile - you need to own that anyway) is good for the extensive Van Dyke interviews, less so on little details.

aha!!! I've heard alot of good things about Dominic Priore & 'Look Listen Vibrate, SMiLE' but never managed to discover a copy yet (at least one i can afford when i spot it).
I'll def be checking that bad boy out (Yes I am sadly ANOTHER SMiLE fanatic..).

The other Book by Dominic sounds really interesting, especially for the Van Dyke interviews Smiley

Thanks for evryone's help on here, great to be pointed in the right direction and be given a fair few options on what to go for  Grin Grin 3D Smokin Cool Guy
halblaineisgood
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2012, 09:59:52 AM »

In my own story, many things would be funny to hear actually spoken aloud by Brian.
"... he was a skinny kid with a unique perspective and a fondness for amphetamines"
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 10:01:19 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2012, 03:16:40 PM »

I wouldn't go quite as far as others have and call this a pile of garbage. If you've never read the other Beach Boys biographies that this generously steals from you might find something of value in it up to the point where Landy enters the picture and then it turns into one long turgid infomercial. I knew enough about Brian when it came out to know that he'd be incapable of writing his autobiography so I wasn't fooled.
In fact, the only rock star autobio to not be ghostwritten by someone else that I'm aware of is Dylan's slim volume of "Chronicles Vol. 1" which only goes to show you that what the artist remembers and wants to write about is probably not what the audience wants to read anyway (although Dylan's book is great for what it is).

There are probably a handful of stories that Brian told Todd Gold that made the book, but that's about it. If it were an honest book, it would probably only be enough to fit a pamphlet. 
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2012, 12:16:14 PM »

is this the same book with a different cover? I have the one with the cover of him by the ocean in a black jacket.

http://www.amazon.com/Wouldnt-It-Nice-Brian-Wilson/dp/0747531455/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1346872529&sr=8-6&keywords=brian+wilson

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Paulos
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2012, 12:25:56 PM »

is this the same book with a different cover? I have the one with the cover of him by the ocean in a black jacket.

http://www.amazon.com/Wouldnt-It-Nice-Brian-Wilson/dp/0747531455/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1346872529&sr=8-6&keywords=brian+wilson

Yeah same book, different cover, I've got the one shown in the link.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2012, 12:28:56 PM »

Yeah same book, different cover, I've got the one shown in the link.
when was that photo taken?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
MBE
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2012, 12:20:14 AM »

It's the very worst book for research purposes I have ever read and almost everything in it is very wrong.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2012, 12:32:55 AM »

It's the very worst book for research purposes I have ever read and almost everything in it is very wrong.

This made me laugh and laugh and I'm not entirely sure why.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2012, 01:30:32 PM »

If believed every word of this book, then I'd have to be not only anti-Mike, but anti-Carl, anti-Al, and anti-pretty-much-anyone-named-Wilson, with the exception of Dennis, who, in spite of his many faults, is forgiven because, after all, he was an out of control drug addict. Carl is blamed for his death, Landy is God.....oh how I hate this book.

We all know Dennis had a big heart, was Brian's biggest musical supporter from within the band during the Smile period, etc., but I think Dennis was "forgiven" because he was no threat to Landy. Carl, Audree, Marilyn, Carnie and Wendy were all anti-Landy, and the book came out at the time of the conservatorship fight, so Landy was trying to trash them and prove that HE was the one who loved Brian, not his greedy family.

The only Wilsons who weren't a threat to Landy when the book came out were Murry and Dennis. He HAD to hit Murry hard in the book because that stuff had all been out there for so many years. But there was no reason to take shots at Dennis, so he didn't.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2012, 02:37:26 PM »

We all know Dennis had a big heart, was Brian's biggest musical supporter from within the band during the Smile period, etc., but I think Dennis was "forgiven" because he was no threat to Landy. Carl, Audree, Marilyn, Carnie and Wendy were all anti-Landy, and the book came out at the time of the conservatorship fight, so Landy was trying to trash them and prove that HE was the one who loved Brian, not his greedy family.

The only Wilsons who weren't a threat to Landy when the book came out were Murry and Dennis. He HAD to hit Murry hard in the book because that stuff had all been out there for so many years. But there was no reason to take shots at Dennis, so he didn't.
Yep, it was all motivated by Landy's desire to have Brian as his prisoner forever. Damn those Wilsons for actually wanting some contact with their son, brother and father!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx