gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680748 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 03:59:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Then He Kissed Me  (Read 1539 times)
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2011, 06:17:39 AM »

I recorded a version of Then He Kissed Me with a friend (singing) recently, which can be heard here.

http://soundcloud.com/samz-2/then-he-kissed-me

Still got a way to go with my recording/mixing capabilities, so would appreciate feedback.

It was recorded with all real instruments so it was a fun challenge.

Cheers

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 07:28:11 AM »

Sounds great.  Do you write any original material?  If so I'd like to hear it.

Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 09:09:02 AM »

That was a fun rendition. Nice work. I have no problem with virtual instruments on principle, but the fact that you're using all real instruments worked great, and it's all really solidly performed. Your friend sings well, and her harmonies are subtle in a way that fits the production style well. Also, even though what you have mixed is very straightforward, it doesn't seem like you're trying to emulate effects for the sake of it. Lots of folks have that problem -- like, for example, slathering things in too much reverb, or using the wrong kind of reverb, but you've struck a good balance here. I also, for whatever reason, like how the song just ends. Don't know why, but it's neat.

Here's something that stood out to me as a way to refine it: one thing I like about the drum slams in the Beach Boys' version is that the actual drums themselves sound big. They're like impacts. I like what you're doing by bringing them into your cover, but I would try to make them stand out somehow. You don't want them distracting, obviously, but I think you have some room to bring them out a bit more.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 09:25:44 AM »

Fantastic cover!! - agreed, the instruments sound great and the singer sounds wonderful!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 10:28:47 AM »

That's good! No complaints about mixing here, it's sympathetic to your vocalist and clean! (Unlike some of my stuff, i'm such a reverb junkie  LOL)

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 02:01:17 AM »

Haha hypehat I gotta say I love reverb too...had a go on a Lexicon PCM91 a few months ago  Love

Sounds great.  Do you write any original material?  If so I'd like to hear it.

Hey thanks for that...I don't really write much to be honest, I have tried a couple of things here and there but nothing too seriously at the present time - I guess I'm just more interested in the recording and mixing side of things Smiley

Here's something that stood out to me as a way to refine it: one thing I like about the drum slams in the Beach Boys' version is that the actual drums themselves sound big. They're like impacts. I like what you're doing by bringing them into your cover, but I would try to make them stand out somehow.

Thanks for the feedback...yeah definitely agree about the drums that was one of the things I was a little disappointed with.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Griffmanr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 12:42:54 AM »

This is great!  Perhaps try damping some of the low end of the reverb on the drums, that would make it even more awesome.  The saxes are so sweet!!

"You got to let me out of this mental cage that we live in"
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx