gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:58:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How do YOU think Smile would have went?  (Read 34584 times)
Reddiwhip
Smiley Smile Associate

Pop those buttons right off of my shirt

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 02, 2012, 10:36:16 AM »

Side 1:
Our Prayer-not listed, but on the label with only a running time
Heroes and Villains - GV Box "alternate" version
Wonderful - GV Box version
Old Master Painter - Medley with You Are My Sunshine
Cabinessence - GV Box version
Child Is Father of The Man - Look with Child chant over the middle sections
Do You Like Worms - 3:19 edit with one plymouth rock, wordless bicycle rider, hawaiian chant, fuzz bass coda w/ harpsichord turnaround, bicycle rider with chorus

Side 2:
Good Vibrations - Single version
I'm In Great Shape - Here is where I depart from every tracklist I've ever seen.  I use Holidays.  You can almost sing the line "fresh zen air around my head (pause) mornings tumble out of bed" along with the melody after the flute intro.  You then have to speed up and sing the eggs and grits line immediately (with the H&V demo melody) to correlate with the chords.  I love Whispering Winds as the fade.  I know some don't, but it's a nice segue into:
Wind Chimes - GV Box version
Vega-Tables - I've always used the GV Box version, but my ultimate psychedelic mix has the Cornucopia version with the "Swedish Frogs" laid behind it.  I usually stick to the GV Box version.
The Elements-I use an old edit with Mrs. O'Leary's Cow (without the drums slow ending, that fades to Workshop that fades to the Water Chant.
Surf's Up - I use the solo double-tracked demo on the GV Box.  As I like to think, the album begins and ends wordlessly, just pure sound of the human voice singing high over everything.

I came up with this list a long time ago, and still use it, and finally came up with a story for it.  Brian has said (I think it was an Ear Candy Mag interview from 04) that BWPS was much happier, more uplifting, et c.  I took that to mean that SMiLE in 1967 would have been a downer.  Consequently, every three songs can be looked at as a suite focusing on some of the big themes of SMiLE (romance, manifest destiny, spirituality, and creation/destruction).  Each suite starts with a pushing, driving song (Heroes and Villains, Cabinessence, Good Vibrations, Vega-Tables), then a conflicted song with duality (Wonderful, Child Is Father of The Man, I'm In Great Shape, The Elements) and finally with a song that includes some kind of mourning (Old Master Painter, Do You Like Worms, Wind Chimes, Surf's Up). 

I am of the opinion that the track list is the track list.   

"Big Sur?"  "Nope, big mama!"  "HAHAHAHA.  What the hell does that mean?"

While at port adieu or die
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 02, 2012, 10:54:28 AM »

I just came across this thread...but just the other day I was wondering the same question.  Brian's "modern" version of Smile has the luxury of digital technology.  He could fit it onto a compact disc...therefore not being constrained by time.  The LP that comes with the boxed set features Brian's complete version...but it's spread over three sides and we all know that the original Smile, if it would have come out, would have been a single LP.  Obviously, Brian's complete version contains material that simply could not have fit onto a standard LP back in 1967.  I've always felt that was one of Brian's biggest issues (and maybe I'm stating the obvious)...what to do with ALL of this material?  How do I put it all together so that it flows...yet fits on one LP?  With the basic editing he would have had access to in 1967 (manually cutting and pasting) I can imagine how it could have just slipped away.  Brian just kept recording and erasing and recording and erasing.  The original LP fell apart because of Brian's inability to complete it.  I wonder if all of this had anything to do with it?

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 02, 2012, 11:01:01 AM »

Our Prayer
Heroes And Villains
I'm In Great Shape
Barnyard
Cabin Essence
Good Vibrations

Wonderful
Wind Chimes
Do You Like Worms
You're Welcome
Surf's Up

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 02, 2012, 11:20:00 AM »

I just came across this thread...but just the other day I was wondering the same question.  Brian's "modern" version of Smile has the luxury of digital technology.  He could fit it onto a compact disc...therefore not being constrained by time.

He should have put more songs per CD track so he could fit more songs on the CD, the scam artist.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #154 on: August 02, 2012, 01:37:01 PM »

All i know is i'd hope they'd have stuck with Do You Dig Worms as a title, which is a great double pun, and thus a better title than Do You Like Worms...
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: August 02, 2012, 02:47:11 PM »

1. Prayer/H&V - Not the '67 explosion edit, something closer to what we got on TSS
2. IIGS/BY
3. DYLW
4. Cabinessence
5. Wonderful - Rock With Me Henry Version - See Below
6. OMP+YAMS with the Barnshine ending. Doesn't Brian call this the big finale? It could be ending the first side - and it fits.

7. GV
8. CIFOTM
9. SU
10. Veggies, TSS version
11. Wind Chimes
12. The Elements is Fire and Dada. Dada bookends it all with it's Our Prayer snippet.

Why is Wonderful the one with the RWMHs?

Because it's the most fleshed out. It has the biggest instrumental track, Brian or Carl could re-record the lead, the bass vox could be re-recorded to be perfected and possibly with new lyrics, and all those yamma-yamma/be-yoop vocals would work in there, somebody even sings a little bit of RWMH on the TSS track. Maybe a little vocal break or something.

Sleep a lot chorus on Veggies is essential, as is that amazing fade.

The last track is half-assed on my part. I don't think SU makes a good closer for Smile. GV would either end Side One or start the second one, and I think it fits better as an opener for Side Two, Barnshine ends a side quite nicely. I'm about to start another thread on how insanely enigmatic Dada/CCW/IBW is, so that will be addressed some other time.

I hate CIFOTM, as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't fit anywhere, but it's on the slick.

Now, the Singles:

Heroes and Villains, '67 exploding cantina B/W the mythical H&V, Pt. 2. So, in a sense, the single is very different from the album version, but gives a taster of what is on Smile.

Veggies, B/W Wind Chimes

SU, B/W either Cabinessence or Wonderful

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 02, 2012, 06:24:11 PM »

How do YOU think Smile would have "gone," not "went," for high holy heaven's sake!!!

You're killing me.
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 02, 2012, 06:46:45 PM »

How do YOU think Smile would have "gone," not "went," for high holy heaven's sake!!!

You're killing me.

We KNOW where it went. Back on the shelf.  Afro

~Hawaiian Shirts Are For Barneys~
Reddiwhip
Smiley Smile Associate

Pop those buttons right off of my shirt

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 10, 2012, 08:19:25 AM »

Side 1:
Our Prayer-not listed, but on the label with only a running time
Heroes and Villains - GV Box "alternate" version
Wonderful - GV Box version
Old Master Painter - Medley with You Are My Sunshine
Cabinessence - GV Box version
Child Is Father of The Man - Look with Child chant over the middle sections
Do You Like Worms - 3:19 edit with one plymouth rock, wordless bicycle rider, hawaiian chant, fuzz bass coda w/ harpsichord turnaround, bicycle rider with chorus

Side 2:
Good Vibrations - Single version
I'm In Great Shape - Here is where I depart from every tracklist I've ever seen.  I use Holidays.  You can almost sing the line "fresh zen air around my head (pause) mornings tumble out of bed" along with the melody after the flute intro.  You then have to speed up and sing the eggs and grits line immediately (with the H&V demo melody) to correlate with the chords.  I love Whispering Winds as the fade.  I know some don't, but it's a nice segue into:
Wind Chimes - GV Box version
Vega-Tables - I've always used the GV Box version, but my ultimate psychedelic mix has the Cornucopia version with the "Swedish Frogs" laid behind it.  I usually stick to the GV Box version.
The Elements-I use an old edit with Mrs. O'Leary's Cow (without the drums slow ending, that fades to Workshop that fades to the Water Chant.
Surf's Up - I use the solo double-tracked demo on the GV Box.  As I like to think, the album begins and ends wordlessly, just pure sound of the human voice singing high over everything.

So, I have listened to more of the SMiLE Sessions and I think I'm ready to alter this mix, so that it includes I'm In Great Shape and other music that I had left off the above mix.  Here's what my SMiLE looks like today:

Our Prayer
Heroes and Villains
The Old Master Painter
Cabinessence
Do You Like Worms
Child Is Father of The Man
Surf's Up

Wind Chimes
The Elements - Fire
Vega-Tables
I'm In Great Shape - From the SMiLE Sessions disc 1
Wonderful
Good Vibrations
You're Welcome

Obviously Our Prayer and You're Welcome are not on the tracklist, but they represent an invocation and a coda.

"Big Sur?"  "Nope, big mama!"  "HAHAHAHA.  What the hell does that mean?"

While at port adieu or die
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: August 10, 2012, 09:04:19 AM »

what's with all this "Our Prayer is not listed on the album", "Our Prayer is a hidden track", "Our Prayer won't be listed on the record" stuff?

Is there some quote from Brian that I've never read, "So, uh, get this - the first song on the album is this wordless bag called Our Prayer, but the thing is, no one's gonna know it's on the album, we're not gonna put it on the track listin' and it'll surprise people" or something?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 10, 2012, 09:11:55 AM »

what's with all this "Our Prayer is not listed on the album", "Our Prayer is a hidden track", "Our Prayer won't be listed on the record" stuff?

Is there some quote from Brian that I've never read, "So, uh, get this - the first song on the album is this wordless bag called Our Prayer, but the thing is, no one's gonna know it's on the album, we're not gonna put it on the track listin' and it'll surprise people" or something?

He says it's not a track on the album, just something to open it, in the studio chatter. This is reinforced by the Capitol memo where it's not listed as a track either.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 10, 2012, 09:32:59 AM »

"Could this be considered a track?" "No, we don't wanna do that...it's just a little intro to the album"

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: August 10, 2012, 09:40:53 AM »

well, I guess Smile fandom is all about taking offhand remarks and grossly exaggerating them.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 10, 2012, 09:43:30 AM »

Or maybe it is about exaggerating the importance of one's own thoughts over preserved, documented, available evidence from the composers and performers themselves, at the very moment of creation.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 10, 2012, 09:46:02 AM »

Or maybe it is about exaggerating the importance of one's own thoughts over preserved, documented, available evidence from the composers and performers themselves, at the very moment of creation.

No, no, Aegir has a point. After all, this is why we don't believe that Do You Like Worms is really called Do You Like Worms, just because Brian off-handedly called it that at the time.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #165 on: August 10, 2012, 09:48:33 AM »

Was there a track on Pet Sounds called "Dogs and Train?"

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #166 on: August 10, 2012, 09:49:08 AM »

No, no, Aegir has a point. After all, this is why we don't believe that Do You Like Worms is really called Do You Like Worms, just because Brian off-handedly called it that at the time.

Its written on the fucking box.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 10, 2012, 09:50:31 AM »

Its written on the f***ing box.

It's off-handedly written on the box. Stop exaggerating.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #168 on: August 10, 2012, 09:51:01 AM »

Exactly, which is why MY Smile track lineup is inevitably the correct one:

(Prayer)
H&V
Wonderful
Holiday
Cabin Essence
The Elements (Fire)
Child

GV
Wind
Look
Veg
Worms
Surfs Up

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 10, 2012, 09:51:20 AM »

But the Prayer thing isn't an offhand comment. It is Brian seriously telling the group what the plan for the album is, at least that day. That Prayer is the intro to the album, and that it isn't meant to be a "track" e.g. listed on the album as a separate item. All tracklists for Smile changed thusly after that tape came to light.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 10, 2012, 09:53:04 AM »

But the Prayer thing isn't an offhand comment. It is Brian seriously telling the group what the plan for the album is, at least that day. That Prayer is the intro to the album, and that it isn't meant to be a "track" e.g. listed on the album as a separate item. All tracklists for Smile changed thusly after that tape came to light.

Dudes - Spaceman and Bubba, I'm on your side here. It was a joke.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 10, 2012, 09:54:21 AM »

Ahhh, sorry about that. You know how serious things get here.

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #172 on: August 10, 2012, 09:58:01 AM »

I realize that....now.... (Frank Drebin)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 10, 2012, 10:04:17 AM »

I realize that....now.... (Frank Drebin)

I'm the locksmith...and I'm the locksmith. (obscure? Police Squad reference)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 10, 2012, 10:22:28 AM »

I hate CIFOTM, as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't fit anywhere, but it's on the slick.

You hate "Child..."? Crazy. Such a beautiful track, and gorgeous vocals. One of my favorites from SMiLE.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx