gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 03:32:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dennis Wilson Movie News  (Read 40328 times)
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: December 19, 2011, 06:25:51 AM »

Which, incidentally, is the exact title (translated into Swedish) that Jaws has in Sweden.

That's funny!  If Lucas were new to the game, would 20th Century have made, "THE JEDI"?

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
tony p
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 30, 2012, 02:37:18 PM »

Vera Farmiga to play Fleetwood Mac singer in The Drummer

The Oscar nominated actress joins Aaron Eckhart in the Beach Boys film and will play singer-songwriter Christine McVie. W2 is co-financing the project and represents international sales.

Production is set to commence in Southern Georgia on Jun 15 to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the Beach Boys.

Randall Miller will direct from Jody Savin’s screenplay, which chronicles the last six years of Beach Boys drummer Dennis Wilson’s life. Wilson and McVie had a passionate relationship and served as each other’s muses and confidants.

Farmiga will use her classical piano training in the production and will sing. “She has a number of duets with Eckhart in the film,” Miller said.  The combination of Aaron and Vera will be pure magic.”

For his part, Eckhart is deep into drum training and is also learning piano fundamentals and undergoing vocal training.

Miller and Savin are producing through their Unclaimed Freight Productions label along with Brad Rosenberger, the former svp of Warner-Chappell Music Group who brought the project to the filmmakers.

Gerry DeKlerk and Irene Nelson of Rampart Films serve as executive producers alongside Jim Guercio of Caribou Records and W2 head of sales Julie Sultan.

http://www.screendaily.com/news/production/vera-farmiga-to-play-fleetwood-mac-singer-in-the-drummer/5037189.article
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 02:38:27 PM by tony p » Logged

I gotta heart that just wont stop beating for you, I gotta love that just can’t stop feeling for you
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 30, 2012, 02:44:43 PM »

Thanks for the post!

They're picking some pretty good actors. Let's hope the screenplay has the same quality.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 30, 2012, 02:56:31 PM »

Good News..

She's pretty hot, strange she's playing Christine McVie Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 30, 2012, 03:03:55 PM »

“She has a number of duets with Eckhart in the film,” Miller said.  The combination of Aaron and Vera will be pure magic.”

Interesting…

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: January 30, 2012, 03:14:33 PM »

Brow

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 30, 2012, 03:20:45 PM »

A "number of duets"...? Hope they don't force it to be another Walk The Line.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 30, 2012, 04:21:23 PM »

Well, I'm wondering what the duets are based on, whether there's anything historically accurate about them.

Other than Baby Blue, did McVie contribute to any other Dennis sessions? Did Dennis lend his voice to any of hers?

Is there something previously unknown in the vaults (Fleetwood Mac's, Jimmy Guercio's or BRI's) that these might be based on, that we don't know about yet?

I mean, remember when this showed up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iMiOJZyOnM

(And, after all, only a handful of folks knew about the Bambu motherlode before that was unleashed…)

Or is this movie going to be a gooey romance type movie, with Travolto/Neutronbomb-type musical interludes?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 01:43:50 AM by John Manning » Logged

Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 30, 2012, 04:32:11 PM »

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/beach-boys-aaron-eckhart-vera-farmiga-drummer-fleetwood-mac-285905
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 30, 2012, 05:05:07 PM »

http://collider.com/vera-farmiga-the-drummer/141556/#more-141556

"Eckhart is also executive producing The Drummer, which is slated to begin production in June. Wilson’s children are onboard as co-producers, so one assumes the film will be taking few—if any—artistic licenses."

Tenuous, in the extreme, I know, but I hold on to optimism every now and then!

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: January 30, 2012, 07:38:56 PM »

Other than Baby Blue, did McVie contribute to any other Dennis sessions? Did Dennis lend his voice to any of hers?

Pretty sure you meant to say "Love Surrounds Me", not "Baby Blue".  Smiley
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 30, 2012, 10:33:18 PM »

...Well, we know Dennis made various recordings which have remained in Christine's private collection.  I don't suppose there's any chance they've been in touch...?

Cheers,
Jon Blum
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 30, 2012, 11:09:26 PM »

Pretty sure you meant to say "Love Surrounds Me", not "Baby Blue".  Smiley

Many thanks, you're right!   Nappy addled again !   Grin

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 31, 2012, 01:18:14 AM »

Well, I'm wondering what the duets are based on, whether there's anything historically accurate about them.

Is there something previously unknown in the vaults (Fleetwood Mac's, Jimmy Guercio's or BRI's) that these might be based on, that we don't know about yet?

(And, after all, only a handful of folks knew about the Bambu motherlode before it as unleashed)

Or is this movie going to be a gooey romance type movie, with Travolto/Neutronbomb-type musical interludes?

I've been told there's quite a bit of later unreleased Dennis Wilson material, including duets with Christine.  This news is interesting, since it might be linked to some effort to get the rights to that stuff and get it out as part of the soundtrack, or have the songs rerecorded for same.  I must repeat I have NO -- repeat NO -- insider knowledge to that effect. But it's interesting that they're going out of their way to put duets in there.  It makes me think there's a likely connection, or at least that they have access to this stuff.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: January 31, 2012, 04:57:07 AM »

(And, after all, only a handful of folks knew about the Bambu motherlode before it as unleashed)

I've been told there's quite a bit of later unreleased Dennis Wilson material, including duets with Christine.  This news is interesting, since it might be linked to some effort to get the rights to that stuff and get it out as part of the soundtrack, or have the songs rerecorded for same.  I must repeat I have NO -- repeat NO -- insider knowledge to that effect. But it's interesting that they're going out of their way to put duets in there.  It makes me think there's a likely connection, or at least that they have access to this stuff.

I'd like to believe this too. However, I also recall what happened last time the producers of a bio-pic project had access to the original material.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 31, 2012, 08:27:00 AM »

You saying it might not happen? A little Phil Cohen-like cloud covering the sun in Farnham today?   Grin

Look on the bright side – even if someone makes a hash of the biopic, we might get around a Sea of Tunes-style series of 100 CDs of Dennis outtakes…  :D Grin :D

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 31, 2012, 08:41:48 AM »

A little Phil Cohen-like cloud covering the sun in Farnham today?   Grin

LOL

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: January 31, 2012, 08:41:57 AM »

You saying it might not happen? A little Phil Cohen-like cloud covering the sun in Farnham today?   Grin

Look on the bright side – even if someone makes a hash of the biopic, we might get around a Sea of Tunes-style series of 100 CDs of Dennis outtakes…  :D Grin :D

Three words: An American Family.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 31, 2012, 08:45:51 AM »

I wish Brian would make a video of himself watching and reviewing "An American Family" with full BW profanity and no handlers.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
tony p
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 14, 2012, 05:05:46 PM »

Chloe Grace Moretz and Rupert Grint are joining helmer Randall Miller's "The Drummer," an indie music biopic about Beach Boys drummer Dennis Wilson.
Moretz is in final negotiations to play Wilson's daughter Jennifer, who is co-producing the film, along with her half-brother Carl. Grint will play Stan Shapiro, a mail room intern at William Morris, who befriended Wilson during the last few years of the musician's life.

Thesps join previously announced Aaron Eckhart as Wilson and Vera Farmiga, who signed on to play Fleetwood Mac singer-songwriter Christine McVie.
Slated to begin lensing June 15, "The Drummer" centers on the last six years of Wilson's life, before his death in 1983.

Miller is producing with scribe Jody Savin through the pair's Unclaimed Freight Prods. Music industry vet Brad Rosenberger, who brought the project to the filmmakers, also produces.

Repped by WME and 3 Arts, Moretz will appear this summer in Tim Burton's "Dark Shadows" for Warner Bros. "Drummer" marks the first major deal for Grint since "Harry Potter" ended last year. He's repped by Gersh and Untitled Entertainment.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118051474

I gotta heart that just wont stop beating for you, I gotta love that just can’t stop feeling for you
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: March 14, 2012, 05:29:16 PM »

There's an unreleased duet of Dennis and Karen doing "Here comes the sun" and according to Jon Stebbins (IIRC) it deserves it's unreleased (and unbooted) status. Dennis/McVie material would be interesting because it would be even later in his life when he didn't have the chance to record whenever he wanted to like it was when the Beach Boys still had Brother studios

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 14, 2012, 05:58:51 PM »

Rupert Grint? Oh hell no.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 14, 2012, 06:07:10 PM »

Is that the kid from harry potter?

I always thought he was one the more likeable people in those movies

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 14, 2012, 06:12:28 PM »

There's an unreleased duet of Dennis and Karen doing "Here comes the sun" and according to Jon Stebbins (IIRC) it deserves it's unreleased (and unbooted) status. Dennis/McVie material would be interesting because it would be even later in his life when he didn't have the chance to record whenever he wanted to like it was when the Beach Boys still had Brother studios
The Dennis produced Here Comes The Sun track only features Karen's "vocal"...Dennis doesn't sing on it. IMO the track is fairly mundane and the vocal is awful.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 14, 2012, 06:19:36 PM »

wow good cast!  chloe moretz is as up and coming as it gets!! and there's nothing wrong with Ron either. 

and man, mr. doe must be seriously scared if american family has jaded his views with this sort of talent involved.  obviously there'll be some factual issues and i can already hear him scoffing during the movie, but the more we hear about who is involved, the surer i am that this will at least be a quality film. 

this is grade A talent involved, and it's great that a beach boys movie is getting this sort of care.  and attracting the level of actors it is.

EXCITED.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx