gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:33:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dennis Wilson Movie News  (Read 39906 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2011, 07:28:59 AM »

Sounds promising with a good actor like Aaron Eckhart playing Dennis Wilson.
http://www.hollywood.com/news/aaron_eckhart_the_drummer_dennis_wilson_biopic/7877918

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 07:35:15 AM »

He actually looks quite a bit like Dennis Wilson. I actually remember thinking that when I saw The Dark Knight, so this should be cool.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 07:42:17 AM »

http://www.hollywood.com/news/aaron_eckhart_the_drummer_dennis_wilson_biopic/7877918

Best actor in the world can't turn a shitty script into a good one.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 07:46:20 AM »

Best actor in the world can't turn a sh*tty script into a good one.
So I'm guessing you read the script and it wasn't the best in the world.... What problems did you find with it?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 07:48:57 AM »

So I'm guessing you read the script and it wasn't the best in the world.... What problems did you find with it?
Andrew's just flummoxed cos he failed t he audition…  Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 08:26:59 AM »

Nope, but it's a family-backed and produced project, so I'm betting that no-one with the initials "Charles" and "Manson" will be mentioned, and that Denny's excesses will be toned down. Whitewash, in other words.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 08:27:25 AM »

Here's the article from Variety:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118044575

Eckhart in rhythm for 'Drummer'

Thesp to play Beach Boys drummer Wilson

By Andrew Stewart

Mon., Oct. 17, 2011

Aaron Eckhart has signed on to play Beach Boys drummer Dennis Wilson in helmer Randy Miller's indie music biopic "The Drummer."

Miller and Jody Savin, who were behind 2008's "Bottle Shock," are producing through their banner Unclaimed Freight Prods., along with music industry vet Brad Rosenberger. Savin wrote the script.

Eckhart, who recently landed the lead role in Lionsgate's "I, Frankenstein," had been in negotiations to play Wilson for several months. He will serve as exec producer and record his own renditions from Wil-son's solo album "Pacific Ocean Blue," released in 1977.

"We'd been trying to figure out who the right person would be to fill this role," Miller told Variety. "It's quite a demanding role so it had to be a great actor who could sing."

Pic, which is skedded to start shooting next year during late spring-early summer, chronicles the last six years of Wilson's life, before his death in 1983. "There's a discovery about Dennis with this film," Miller said. "Everybody knows Brian, but nobody really knows Dennis' music."

The filmmakers have secured an overall deal for rights to the music, with two of Wilson's children, Carl and Jennifer, co-producing.

Jonathan Gardner of Cohen/Gardner negotiated the deal on behalf of the producers, as well as CAA's Tracey Brennan and David Matlof of Hirsch/Wallerstein for Eckhart.

Thesp recently finished shooting the lead role as an ex-CIA agent in "The Expatriate" and stars with Johnny Depp in the upcoming "The Rum Diary." He's repped by CAA.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 08:43:19 AM »

Nope, but it's a family-backed and produced project, so I'm betting that no-one with the initials "Charles" and "Manson" will be mentioned, and that Denny's excesses will be toned down. Whitewash, in other words.
That stinks, the spector of Charles Manson and Denny's excesses are important features of Dennis' character and mind set during the POB era to his death. I'm guessing no Cocaine sessions scene with Brian or Brian even being in the movie because the family doesn't want that period of BW's life in a movie.

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 09:02:28 AM »

it can't be as bad as the Jim Henson script that was being considered the last couple years,that was so bad that the Jim Henson family bought the script just to make sure it doesn't get filmed..let's put it this way the script starts off with Henson being so sick just before dying  that he starts to hallucinate his muppets visiting him and they start to flashback with him and takes him throughout his life.. Brow Brow..by the way how could they not have the charles manson/drugs aspect of Dennis' life? that would make to movie boring if they took those out..there's nothing more to talk about other than the women he had been with and his songwriting...
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 09:03:39 AM »

I'm ecstatic this is really going to be made, and I had doubts it would ever make it this far. It'll be an indie character study, I think, and will unavoidably have to play sort of fast and loose with some facts. Don't know how I feel about re-recording that VOICE.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 09:08:48 AM »

I'm betting that no-one with the initials "Charles" and "Manson" will be mentioned, and that Denny's excesses will be toned down.

Wow, that sounds like a big mistake!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 09:10:51 AM by PongHit » Logged

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 09:23:29 AM »

I'm surprised noboby has commented on this aspect yet:

"He will serve as exec producer and record his own renditions from Wil-son's solo album "Pacific Ocean Blue," released in 1977."  WTF?!?!?!

Worked out really well with the what-could-otherwise have been excellent Kevin Spacey bio of Bobby Darrin, "Beyond the Sea", didn't it?
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 09:29:11 AM »

If it is going to focus on the last 6 years of his life, how could it avoid showing his excesses?
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 09:33:45 AM »

Even if they don't use cocaine for early 80s maybe they will use hamburgers. But I think it would be cool to include songs from that era. I just hope its a cool movie, and Dennis' songs are heard by the masses! Hopefully better versions of his stuff the Stamos' Forever.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 09:45:03 AM »

If it is going to focus on the last 6 years of his life, how could it avoid showing his excesses?

It couldn't. Or it would have to be a blatant lie, having no connection with reality at all.

I don't really see why the Manson connection should be avoided. The truth is out there for everyone to see/read, and it has been that way for decades. Moreover, it would honour instead of insult Dennis' persona to show his absolute refusal to talk about the Manson affair, where he could have benefited from that a great deal in financial terms when he was living rough. I respect him for that.

But well, I guess AGD is right. Although I can't for the life of me imagine a Dennis biopic, done 'Denny Light'. No way.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 09:49:30 AM »

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9102.msg154432.html#msg154432

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 09:59:57 AM »

wow, good call

I'm not sure what I'm more excited for, Dennis's film or Brian's film

I hope they fight each other at the 2014 Oscars

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 12:04:00 PM »

He will look just like this:

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 12:42:33 PM »

I'm surprised noboby has commented on this aspect yet:

"He will serve as exec producer and record his own renditions from Wil-son's solo album "Pacific Ocean Blue," released in 1977."  WTF?!?!?!

Worked out really well with the what-could-otherwise have been excellent Kevin Spacey bio of Bobby Darrin, "Beyond the Sea", didn't it?

I don't like the idea of re-recordings done by actors. Didn't work in "Walk the line", probably (!) won't work in The Drummer. An exception is Great Balls Of Fire but only because Jerry Lee re-recorded the songs himself (there was talk that Dennis Quaid would record them before) and out-did his originals if I might say so

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2011, 05:04:01 PM »

Why would you ever write a script (let alone raise money for a motion picture) on Dennis Wilson without Ed Roach and Jon Stebbins' help???

Flawed.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2011, 05:13:24 PM »

let's not complain until they actually start filming, because until then there's a good chance this movie won't actually be made.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2011, 06:15:11 PM »

Indeed "Aegir", THERE IS a chance that the film will not raise the funds needed to come to fruition.

But why wouldn't you complain??? You'd rather wait until the DW brand is sullied in a very public way before expressing distaste???

I'm guessing I know more about it than you do. Sadly, at this point, this film is not worthy of the Dennis Wilson legacy.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 06:16:15 PM by Howie Edelson » Logged
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2011, 07:40:37 PM »

Nice call!

LOL Typical Beach Boys fans shitting all over a project thats in its infancy.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2011, 08:22:19 PM »

considering the quality of the filmmakers and actor it really is quite lol
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2011, 08:42:09 PM »

No. There's nothing typical about my comments. I actually know about this project. You say that it's typical that someone would slam a BB project in it's infancy. Is it??? I say that following Stebbins' book, the POB/BAMBU reissue, and the DW BBC doc -- the DW "brand" is batting 1000. A magnificent and deserved Dennis Wilson film project would be the most incredible way to pay tribute to the 30th anniversary of his death. Amazingly, unlike the Beach Boys' constant string of career embarrassments/missteps, Dennis Wilson's career has gone from strength to strength. That will all end with a half-baked, whitewashed, "fictionalized" biopic. If you wanna know about Dennis Wilson, hang out with the people that actually spent time with him -- I'm talking the people HE had TIME for. There are only a few. I lay you odds the pictures they paint and the gamut of emotions they STILL feel won't be in this film.

It's always good to be critical about the important stuff.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx