gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681102 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 02:37:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Learning the Mandolin  (Read 1645 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2011, 08:05:35 PM »

So, for a show I'm doing in the new year I have been instructed to play a mandolin. Expressly a mandolin, and no other acoustic stringed instrument will do. And tonight, someone has leant me a fairly nice looking one that has received many compliments down the pub. This is nice.

But, dear reader, I don't actually know any music played on a mandolin except this, by Senor Ry Cooder. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSpKLgwcXD8 Understandably, it's a bitch.

Does anyone play one of these? Any songs, exercises, or tips you feel especially beneficial to my plight would be much appreciated.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 08:56:48 PM »

I self taught myself mandolin last year, it was very simple, basically, it's a guitar with strange tuning...

I'd check out some led zeppelin songs, they're easy and help get used to the feel.

PMcC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 03:05:36 AM »

A mandolin is tuned quite like a fiddle. Think of the 1st four strings of a guitar, inverted, where the low E on the guitar is now your highest string, followed by the A, the D, and the G string being your low note. If you are any good at all at playing guitar chords backwards, you will get a kick out of the mandolin right away...Paul

"Anytime I want to hear the Beach Boys, I put on a Brian Wilson CD"-Paul McClelland
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 08:55:21 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions! Have spent most of the day tuning the thing correctly - my friends a tonedeaf eejit - and learning a couple of chords and singing blues/spirituals. I'll get it yet. My fingers are too big, however.... if i can play a ukelele....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 02:21:06 PM »

I have friends (pros) who, when they have to play the mandolin, just tune it like the top four strings of the guitar.  So that's another possibility if you can already play the guitar.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 05:30:09 PM »

That's too tempting....  LOL

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 10:12:56 AM »

http://soundcloud.com/samblack-1/goin-to-brownsville-sleepy

Hows this for a weeks work? I apologise for the vocals.....

Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 12:00:15 AM »

http://soundcloud.com/samblack-1/goin-to-brownsville-sleepy

Hows this for a weeks work? I apologise for the vocals.....

Pretty good for a week's work.  Someone gave me a mandolin recently.  I went home and immediately incorporated it into the song I was working on.  I think it sounds good but I wouldn't call it real mandolin playing, I just picked a few notes...and the song remains unfinished or I'd post it here.

It sounds like you are pretty dedicated so it should only get better.

mps

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx