gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:45:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New SMiLE Site!  (Read 16317 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2011, 09:50:52 AM »

Lovin' the pictures, I really like that one of Dennis.  Kind of surprising though that www.brianwilson.com completely jettisoned any mention of the Disney album, though!

Well I think right now the obvious goal is to push "SMiLE" as hard as possible out of the gate.  Being this is an archival release from a band that hasn't released new product in years, they are going to want to get the word out there as strongly as possible about this new release.  I also remember during the "Beatles: Anthology" campaign that Paul McCartney stated that he and the other Beatles were encouraged not to release any new solo material until the "Anthology" had run it's course as they wanted the Beatles release to be the primary and not have any secondary releases competing with it. 

Then again what I suspect is that the Briansta's site is still a work in progress and a mention of "In The Key Of Disney" could pop up.  I noticed for instance that Frank Holmes is now given credit for his artwork on the splash intro something that I didn't notice (or wasn't there) yesterday.

check the contest page - http://blog.brianwilson.com/press-releases/brian-wilsons-smile-contest/

seems to be one of, if not the only mention, though.

What ever happened to just answering a question..

Not all of us have a facebook

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2011, 09:54:41 AM »

couple more

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2011, 09:56:26 AM »

And the best part...the blooboard is down!! w00t!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2011, 10:30:04 AM »

What is the blooboard, why is it called that, and why is it hated so much around here? A google search yields nothing. 

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2011, 10:45:37 AM »

What is the blooboard, why is it called that, and why is it hated so much around here? A google search yields nothing. 

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2011, 10:46:33 AM »

This photo might be worth the whole box set.  Never before have I seen a photo of Brian actually playing with the wrecking crew, closest thing has been his showing them stuff between takes.  Magnificent.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2011, 10:53:04 AM »

Is that Tommy Morgan playing a harmonica? Who's in front of him, Mike Malvoin or who? I can't see what instrument he's with so I know that's not right. Who are they, Josh?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2011, 10:58:04 AM »

Yeah, Tommy Morgan, 98% sure that's Jay Migliori, with the sax mouthpiece peaking intoframe.
jimmy1949
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2011, 11:28:39 AM »

Isn't it the Brian Wilson site? To me its more like a "Hi, how are you?" site..nothing like we have here... Cool Cool
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2011, 11:32:50 AM »

Hmmm...a closer look at the wallpaper on the new site shows me something I never noticed before: tape box #190 W lists "Wonderful," "Tones," and "Rock With Me Henry" [sic]. Next to it is tape box #165 W, labeled "Vegtables" [sic] and "Tune 'X'."

This would kind of tell me that..."Tones" and "Tune 'X'" are NOT the same.

Is this new info??

"Tones" & "Tune X" are the same.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2011, 11:52:06 AM »

Isn't it the Brian Wilson site? To me its more like a "Hi, how are you?" site..nothing like we have here... Cool Cool

Characterised by the layout, designed by blind opium fiends, and the decided 'Brian is God' complex of its inhabitants, the bloo (bastardised from the original term Blueboard pertaining to its initial hue) is a silly place.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2011, 11:56:23 AM »

My understanding is that the "blooboard" is the erstwhile messageboard on brianwilson.com.  The nickname derives from the blue background color it once featured.  Folks around here seem to despise the "bloo" for its inane dialogue (e.g., "Brian, your music healed my hamster!").  From what I've seen, though, the bloo seems like classical Athens compared to the idiocy posted on the Beach Boys' facebook page ("Are you freakin' kidding me?  $6000 for the Smile box set?!   Sorry, Beach Boys, but NO WAY!").

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2011, 12:32:21 PM »

Now imagine - only for a moment - if those were not just photos...

Actually, I've heard moving footage of a GV vocal session exists, this might be the same one.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2011, 12:35:03 PM »

Now imagine - only for a moment - if those were not just photos...

Actually, I've heard moving footage of a GV vocal session exists, this might be the same one.

:O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
bruiteur
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2011, 01:46:02 PM »

My first impression when seeing the pictures was probably sourced from 1960s era B&W video. Look at the edge issues and ringing artifacts on some of the pictures and the contrast on the shot of Carl and his mother. Looks like very early video. Also the resolution is oddly low for any kind of film I can think of.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2011, 03:31:12 PM »

FTR, the "bicycle rider" / "H&V" music is an MP3 encoded at 192kbps and titled "audio_track_update.mp3"

Yet another thing to add to my iTunes into the Beach Boys section in the album titled The Smile Sessions C*cktease!

And they didn't even embed it or anything...just go to http://brianwilson.com/audio_track_update.mp3

BTW -- when you drag it into iTunes, it's titled "Track 22." It's tagged as track 22 of 27.

It's a snippet of track 22 on disc one...the stereo version of "Heroes and Villains Sections" from the GV Box set.

Which is odd considering this clip is in mono.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2011, 03:47:24 PM »

My first impression when seeing the pictures was probably sourced from 1960s era B&W video. Look at the edge issues and ringing artifacts on some of the pictures and the contrast on the shot of Carl and his mother. Looks like very early video. Also the resolution is oddly low for any kind of film I can think of.

I think some of that stuff comes from video, but not all of it, some of it is definitely still 35mm. 

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2011, 04:30:39 PM »

FTR, the "bicycle rider" / "H&V" music is an MP3 encoded at 192kbps and titled "audio_track_update.mp3"

Yet another thing to add to my iTunes into the Beach Boys section in the album titled The Smile Sessions C*cktease!

And they didn't even embed it or anything...just go to http://brianwilson.com/audio_track_update.mp3

BTW -- when you drag it into iTunes, it's titled "Track 22." It's tagged as track 22 of 27.

It's a snippet of track 22 on disc one...the stereo version of "Heroes and Villains Sections" from the GV Box set.

Which is odd considering this clip is in mono.

It's not too unusual to fold things down to mono for the purposes of a website.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2011, 06:00:29 PM »

Good point Ebb.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2011, 07:37:34 PM »

It`s just the clip of Bicycle Rider thats been legitimately available since `93 that we`ve all heard a million times. Sorry to be a buzzkill, but I`m looking forward more to discs 3, 4, and 5.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2011, 11:48:28 PM »

for others benefit: (enlarge, right click and view image.)

« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 11:51:31 PM by mrmoustachioto » Logged

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2011, 07:54:35 PM »

Remember that film was shot of a GV instrumental session too...it's heard playing out on SOT 15, for those interested. "Bob" and his camera are making too much noise in the studio - the whirring camera is audible - and Brian several times tells "Bob" to stop filming.

Piece this together: The "photos" of Brian with Tommy Morgan and Jay Migliori looks like a film print to these eyes too. Morgan and Migliori - practically any of the Wrecking Crew - would have no need to be at a vocal session.

So is this still a shot from the camera of "Bob" which we hear on that session?

Damn, I'm almost in shock if it is. That has been on the list of Holy Grail material for how long? If it is...

And another bit of mythbusting: Brian is filmed working the mixing board at Columbia. This was apparently a big no-no, even Bruce himself confirmed as much to AGD personally a few weeks ago at a show. Yet there is Brian, with Bruce in the background, working the controls on Columbia's board, a move against union rules which got his hand slapped away according to legend.

Has another myth been busted thanks to that film? Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2011, 08:09:05 PM »

Surprised no one mentioned two folks in this one, unless they did so elsewhere...

Danny Hutton and his girlfriend at the time June Fairchild are sitting on that couch in front of the board.

The same Danny and June as seen in this one at the airport:

And the same June as seen here ( Wink):

Now could the Columbia engineer in the T-shirt be the mysterious Ralph Valentin? Shocked

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2011, 08:10:24 PM »

GIFs as background images? What is this, 1997?

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2011, 01:42:21 AM »

Remember that film was shot of a GV instrumental session too...it's heard playing out on SOT 15, for those interested. "Bob" and his camera are making too much noise in the studio - the whirring camera is audible - and Brian several times tells "Bob" to stop filming.

Piece this together: The "photos" of Brian with Tommy Morgan and Jay Migliori looks like a film print to these eyes too. Morgan and Migliori - practically any of the Wrecking Crew - would have no need to be at a vocal session.

So is this still a shot from the camera of "Bob" which we hear on that session?

Damn, I'm almost in shock if it is. That has been on the list of Holy Grail material for how long? If it is...

And another bit of mythbusting: Brian is filmed working the mixing board at Columbia. This was apparently a big no-no, even Bruce himself confirmed as much to AGD personally a few weeks ago at a show. Yet there is Brian, with Bruce in the background, working the controls on Columbia's board, a move against union rules which got his hand slapped away according to legend.

Has another myth been busted thanks to that film? Grin

Fascinating if this filming is as you say audible on the SOT 15 sessions.

If they have this film wouldn't it have made sense to have included it on the box set? I'm assuming it's not on the set as it would be unlikely they'd keep it secret.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx