gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680781 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 08:36:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bizarre Mike Love Interview  (Read 14567 times)
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2011, 01:49:38 PM »

Huh? Nobody said that being credited equals having written the whole lyric! So yeah, let's take Mike's claim face value endorsed by the Court, Brian Wilson et al., and move on.

It actually seems that Mike is being resented for having a hand in writing those songs. Somehow, the fact that Love's name popped out in 40+ credits along Brian's made those songs harder to enjoy for many... Love's name became a sort of hindrance in the enjoyment of, say, Today!'s B side for a number of people. Some people drew a picture of Brian the songwriter coming up on his own with so many beautiful songs and they are cannot or don't want to re-draw it.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 01:52:19 PM by Dr. Lenny » Logged

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2011, 01:50:34 PM »

Does anyone else here imagine Ron as the Secretary of Education from Idiocracy?

Now that you mention it.... Too bad we dont have a Beef Supreme around here.

No mas, por favor.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2011, 02:11:30 PM »

Again, you're saying what most people already know, Lenny. But for those who don't, you only need to write one word in a song and you get credit for it. So, as Rockandroll indicated, sometimes in interviews Mike will come out and recite small lyric snippets to songs and you can assume that either he wrote those particular words or the entire song.

And........I never had a problem with seeing the names Wilson-Love credited to songs. Wilson and love go together anyway, so......uh.......

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2011, 02:43:52 PM »

that's it, who here wants to touch dicks? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2011, 02:47:07 PM »

that's it, who here wants to touch dicks? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993

Bret Hart's ring jackets were based on The Beatles "Sgt. Pepper" outfits.

Just a random fact.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2011, 02:55:45 PM »

Bret Hart's ring jackets were based on The Beatles "Sgt. Pepper" outfits.

Just a random fact.

that's a damn lie.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2011, 03:03:16 PM »

It actually seems that Mike is being resented for having a hand in writing those songs.

Actually, in the real world, it seems like Mikie is being resented simply for taking Mike Love at his word. And I suppose if you are so thoroughly planted on the pendulum of Mike Love appreciation, then doing such a dastardly thing as taking his word when it doesn't fit the current mythology is worthy of criticism.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2011, 03:43:27 PM »

I know I am a minority here when it comes to Asher's lyrics on Good Vibrations. Ever since I first heard them in 1976, for some reason I've always really liked them. Still do. They were obviously unfinished, and maybe Tony did take just a quick stab at them, but I remember playing that over and over incessantly back then because I liked the lyrics and the way Brian sang them on the demo.

Always thought the Asher lyrics were more personal than the released version's more general lyrics.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2011, 04:06:28 PM »

That's it, who here wants to touch dicks?

I musta laughed for five minutes when I read that!  The little woman here in the house heard me and wondered what was so funny. I told her, then she laughed like hell!

Hands down, post o' the day.  Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
oldsurferdude
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2011, 04:19:14 PM »

I wonder how many Paul McCartney songs Mike actually believes he composed himself? Everybody knows that he thinks he wrote "Back In The USSR" single-handed.....
Yeah, and if Myke wrote so many great BB songs, why does his stuff sh*t the bed so bad?? Hu, huh? Shocked
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2011, 04:40:28 PM »

It actually seems that Mike is being resented for having a hand in writing those songs.

Actually, in the real world, it seems like Mikie is being resented simply for taking Mike Love at his word. And I suppose if you are so thoroughly planted on the pendulum of Mike Love appreciation, then doing such a dastardly thing as taking his word when it doesn't fit the current mythology is worthy of criticism.

Mikie's initial post on this thread seemed not to take ML at his word. Re-read, please.

He clarified his point tough, and then we had world peace!

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2011, 07:30:45 PM »

You know what would have been awesome? 80s era Lovester and Landy teaming up to finish off the lyrics to Smile, getting Steve Levine or Terry Melcher to produce the overdub/rerecording sessions, replacing the piano/organ/harpsichord/horns/strings with keytar/fairlight/synclavier/cheap casio, and giving the Wonderful and SU lead vocals to Bruce Johnston and Adrian Baker respectively. LOL

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2011, 09:50:45 PM »

That's a totally ridiculous statement, Ronnie! I don't hate anyone, including you! You're the one who seems to be very argumentative around this board, Ron. You'll argue about anything and everything, huh?

Remember, I was the one who stuck up for you when you went off on your continuous seven post rant against the Moderator here a week ago. Yeah, that was I who suggested that you cool off because you were looking more and more stupid with every post, and I didn't want to see you embarass yourself. I saw quite a bit of hate and discontentment coming from you there, Ron. So don't suggest that I hate anyone, especially members of my favorite band on planet Earth, OK?  Thanks in advance.

Why do you keep calling me Ronnie?  That's disrespectful.  Apologize. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2011, 09:51:52 PM »

I've heard Brian say that Mike wrote the lyrics to the entire song.  Many times. 

You say many times. Show me just one instance/statement by Brian where he said Mike wrote ALL the words to Good Vibrations. I'm not talking about the "I'm pickin' up good vibrations" part, I mean the whole thing.

He's said it many, many, many, many times.  So many times I can't possibly summarize here: so what I'd like to do, to make it easier, is just have you provide one time when he said Mike didn't. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2011, 10:03:23 PM »

You have to admit it's strange that Mike typically only talks about writing the lyric "I'm pickin' up good vibrations/She's giving me excitations" and nothing else. Maybe he did write the rest of it, but why does he only claim that part when talking about it in interviews? I mean, if I wrote "I love the colourful clothes she wears and the way the sunlight plays upon her hair", and I pat myself on the back repeatedly,

This is a completely ridiculous argument.  

He also never brags about writing

"Cashmere hills filled with evergreens
 Flowin' from the clouds down to meet the sea
 With the granite cliff
(Big Sur mount)
 As a referee

Crimson sunsets and golden dawns
 A mother deer with their newborn fawns
 All under Big Sur skies
 (Big Sur mount)
 That's where I belong."

Since he never brags about writing that, he must have never wrote it even though he's credited with it.  Also he must have not wrote Good Vibrations, even though the lyrics are similarly airy, and Brian Wilson says he wrote it.  

The reason he didn't write Good Vibrations?  ... because some nerd on a Beach Boys forum thinks maybe he didn't.  

Let me put it in perspective: You guys don't deserve to drive Mike to the airport, much less comment on what he did or didn't write 50 years ago.  The audacity on this board is completely mind blowing.  Negative mother f*ckers around here.  
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 10:05:28 PM by Ron » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2011, 10:26:23 PM »

Why do you keep calling me Ronnie?  That's disrespectful.  Apologize.

Did you apologize to Smile-Holland the other day after you gave him all that crap?  No, you didn't, did you?

Same here.  Don't expect any apologies from me for nothin'.

Jameswilliam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2011, 11:16:03 PM »

Mike loves brain is fried.  end of story.  dudes smoked. 3D
Nicko1234
« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2011, 12:41:47 AM »

Have to love the bipolar nature of BB fandom...

Whenever Brian's abilities are being discussed it's often said that Brian doesn't really need the autocue, that he could play the keyboard throughout a show if he wanted to and that he can still produce and arrange with no assistance...

Whenever this issue of songwriting credits comes up though he is suddenly considered to be a gibbering simpleton with the mind of an infant who can barely remember his own name.

Jimmie_R
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 16, 2011, 03:30:54 AM »

You know what would have been awesome? 80s era Lovester and Landy teaming up to finish off the lyrics to Smile, getting Steve Levine or Terry Melcher to produce the overdub/rerecording sessions, replacing the piano/organ/harpsichord/horns/strings with keytar/fairlight/synclavier/cheap casio, and giving the Wonderful and SU lead vocals to Bruce Johnston and Adrian Baker respectively. LOL

oh.. my god... the HORROR!!!!!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 16, 2011, 03:39:57 AM »

You have to admit it's strange that Mike typically only talks about writing the lyric "I'm pickin' up good vibrations/She's giving me excitations" and nothing else. Maybe he did write the rest of it, but why does he only claim that part when talking about it in interviews? I mean, if I wrote "I love the colourful clothes she wears and the way the sunlight plays upon her hair", and I pat myself on the back repeatedly,

This is a completely ridiculous argument.  

He also never brags about writing

"Cashmere hills filled with evergreens
 Flowin' from the clouds down to meet the sea
 With the granite cliff
(Big Sur mount)
 As a referee

Crimson sunsets and golden dawns
 A mother deer with their newborn fawns
 All under Big Sur skies
 (Big Sur mount)
 That's where I belong."

Since he never brags about writing that, he must have never wrote it even though he's credited with it.  Also he must have not wrote Good Vibrations, even though the lyrics are similarly airy, and Brian Wilson says he wrote it.  

The reason he didn't write Good Vibrations?  ... because some nerd on a Beach Boys forum thinks maybe he didn't.  

Let me put it in perspective: You guys don't deserve to drive Mike to the airport, much less comment on what he did or didn't write 50 years ago.  The audacity on this board is completely mind blowing.  Negative mother f*ckers around here.  

Who's being negative? Take the dog for a walk or something....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Quincy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 16, 2011, 05:22:05 AM »

or visit a shrink
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 16, 2011, 08:30:48 AM »

It almost happened, too. Well, not exactly as described here, but Landy was pushing for Brian to finish it in the 80s. Can you imagine?

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 16, 2011, 08:42:51 AM »

It almost happened, too. Well, not exactly as described here, but Landy was pushing for Brian to finish it in the 80s. Can you imagine?

Not sure I want to.  All the synths and cheesy 80's production would have been awful, and we would have had psycho-babble lyrics for the unfinished tunes.  As bad as the wait for Smile has been, I'm glad it took this long since we know it's really being done right this time.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 17, 2011, 06:28:53 AM »

Not sure I want to.  All the synths and cheesy 80's production would have been awful, and we would have had psycho-babble lyrics for the unfinished tunes.  As bad as the wait for Smile has been, I'm glad it took this long since we know it's really being done right this time.

Heh, I think that was the whole irony of the original post ;P

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 20, 2011, 09:02:36 AM »

My favorite part:

"BRIAN DIDN'T SURF!!!"

(realizes he just begged the question of whether he surfed)

"I was the surf...word...man!"

"Jeff, you care." --BW
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx