gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 10:52:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles  (Read 67813 times)
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2012, 11:00:03 AM »

My top 5 Beatles albums are

Revolver
White Album
Abbey Road
Rubber Soul
A Hard Days Night

"I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." - Brian Wilson
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2012, 11:13:14 AM »

Does anyone know about a Japanese 45th Anniversary Edition of the Butcher cover Yesterday and Today? It's stereo/mono with a few bonus tracks. Says it is a 2011 release. Is it a fake or a legit release?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2012, 11:27:20 AM »

My top 10 beatles songs Smiley

10. All My Loving

9. Across The Universe

8. Devil In Her Heart

7. Oh Darling

6. Think For Yourself

5. Don't Let Me Down

4. This Boy

3. Dizzy Miss Lizzy

2. Free As A Bird

1. Do You Want to Know a Secret
Jason
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2012, 11:28:00 AM »

Does anyone know about a Japanese 45th Anniversary Edition of the Butcher cover Yesterday and Today? It's stereo/mono with a few bonus tracks. Says it is a 2011 release. Is it a fake or a legit release?

Maybe a new Ebbetts?
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2012, 12:49:53 PM »

That's an eclectic list Newguy  Cool

My top 10 Beatles songs at the moment (I always find these kind of lists difficult, it would be easier to list Beatles songs I don't like because there aren't many!)

1) Paperback Writer
2) I'm Only Sleeping
3) Tomorrow Never Knows
4) I've Got A Feeling
5) Taxman
6) I'm Looking Through You
7) Helter Skelter
Cool Blackbird
9) You Never Give Me Your Money
10) If I Needed Someone

Not exactly a balanced list but I do prefer 65-70 era Beatles.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 01:04:13 PM by CaliforniaSlide » Logged

cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2012, 01:39:19 PM »

Top 20

1. Octopus's Garden
 2. Here comes the sun
 3. It's all too much
 4. Please Please me
 5. Help

6. Hello goodbye
 7. I've just seen a face
 8. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
 9 . Penny Lane
 10. In my life

11. For noone
 12. I need you
 13. When I'm Sixty-Four
 14. Getting better
 15. With a little help from my friends

16. She said
 17. You've got to hide you love away
 18. She's got a ticket to ride
 19. All you need is love
 20. Yellow submarine

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2012, 01:46:00 PM »

That's an eclectic list Newguy  Cool

My top 10 Beatles songs at the moment (I always find these kind of lists difficult, it would be easier to list Beatles songs I don't like because there aren't many!)

1) Paperback Writer
2) I'm Only Sleeping
3) Tomorrow Never Knows
4) I've Got A Feeling
5) Taxman
6) I'm Looking Through You
7) Helter Skelter
Cool Blackbird
9) You Never Give Me Your Money
10) If I Needed Someone

Not exactly a balanced list but I do prefer 65-70 era Beatles.
:] thanks,well i've never been a singles kinda man when it came to the beatles.
wow you're list is very distinctive and interesting :D(always good to see something different.)
You like the uptempo ones...i love paperback writer,tomorrow never knows, taxman,if i needed someone.
I'm so suprised to see "i've got a feeling" i always felt that record was one of the under-rated songs from let it be.
Helter Skelter was the song that started heavy metal.(imo)
You never give me your money,mister paul switched his vocals in so many styles throughout this record it was spectacular Smiley
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 01:48:53 PM by Newguy562 » Logged
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2012, 01:54:13 PM »

Top 20

1. Octopus's Garden
 2. Here comes the sun
 3. It's all too much
 4. Please Please me
 5. Help

6. Hello goodbye
 7. I've just seen a face
 8. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
 9 . Penny Lane
 10. In my life

11. For noone
 12. I need you
 13. When I'm Sixty-Four
 14. Getting better
 15. With a little help from my friends

16. She said
 17. You've got to hide you love away
 18. She's got a ticket to ride
 19. All you need is love
 20. Yellow submarine
wow octopus garden, yellow submarine & When i'm 64...yikesss :O
but on the other hand you have it's all too much & Getting better so i have to salute you for even having those beautiful songs on your list Smiley
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2012, 01:55:30 PM »

Thanks Newguy, I never really thought about my favorite Beatles songs as being up tempo rockers or ballads etc. It's obvious my favorite year for The Beatles just happens to be the same year I think pop music in general was at it's most dynamic and creative, that of course being 1966. Revolver is by far my favorite record by the Fabs. Many fans and critics say the greatest pop music single ever is Strawberry Fields Forever b/w Penny Lane and they're probably right but I really love the Paperback Writer b/w Rain single, it's power pop at it's finest. As I'm writing this I'm listening to The White Album, now maybe I should do a top ten best White Album songs list!  Cheesy

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2012, 02:07:42 PM »

Thanks Newguy, I never really thought about my favorite Beatles songs as being up tempo rockers or ballads etc. It's obvious my favorite year for The Beatles just happens to be the same year I think pop music in general was at it's most dynamic and creative, that of course being 1966. Revolver is by far my favorite record by the Fabs. Many fans and critics say the greatest pop music single ever is Strawberry Fields Forever b/w Penny Lane and they're probably right but I really love the Paperback Writer b/w Rain single, it's power pop at it's finest. As I'm writing this I'm listening to The White Album, now maybe I should do a top ten best White Album songs list!  Cheesy
I actually enjoy paperback writer/ rain more than strawberry fields/ penny lane. Smiley To be honest i've always loved rubber soul & magical mystery tour  slightly more then the rest they always stood out to me most of all.  I'm like obsessed with the beatles i love every album they creatted  but lately i've been listening to let it be the most. Revolver has some major records on there but they also have lack-luster material  like (Love You To,Yellow Submarine,I Want to Tell You) but that's just my opinion. The songs you said i pretty love every one of them though. My current favorite by the beatles is free as a bird i find myself listening to that song more than anything else by them. Smiley..
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2012, 02:24:27 PM »

Revolver has some major records on there but they also have lack-luster material  like (Love You To,Yellow Submarine,I Want to Tell You) but that's just my opinion.

I admit when I first heard Revolver, I did think some of the tracks were weaker than what I was expecting but they quickly became favorites, I Want To Tell You actually has some interesting chords and changes. Here There and Everywhere, Good Day Sunshine, And Your Bird Can Sing and Got To Get You Into My Life all stand as pop masterpieces imo. You mentioned Magical Mystery Tour which I think is the superior psychedelic record over Sgt Pepper which I was mildly enthusiastic about at best. Let It Be is underrated and it's a really great collection of songs which are raw and basic in nature. Paul came up which the idea for the band to "get back" to their rock and roll roots and the results payed off.

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2012, 02:42:43 PM »

Revolver has some major records on there but they also have lack-luster material  like (Love You To,Yellow Submarine,I Want to Tell You) but that's just my opinion.

I admit when I first heard Revolver, I did think some of the tracks were weaker than what I was expecting but they quickly became favorites, I Want To Tell You actually has some interesting chords and changes. Here There and Everywhere, Good Day Sunshine, And Your Bird Can Sing and Got To Get You Into My Life all stand as pop masterpieces imo. You mentioned Magical Mystery Tour which I think is the superior psychedelic record over Sgt Pepper which I was mildly enthusiastic about at best. Let It Be is underrated and it's a really great collection of songs which are raw and basic in nature. Paul came up which the idea for the band to "get back" to their rock and roll roots and the results payed off.
if it wasn't for paul mccartney then they would've broke up before sgt. pepper lol..yes magical mystery tour was the beatles best psychedelic album imo Smiley i love every single song on it. the songs that you picked from revolver are the best songs on it and my favorite era is the start of rubber soul and the end of revolver right before they start sgt. pepper ...i like the direction they were going i just felt that john pretty much grew tired of being a beatle and wanted to part ways so fast and yoko only made it worse :/...
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2012, 02:52:52 PM »

if it wasn't for paul mccartney then they would've broke up before sgt. pepper

I agree and the irony is that Paul was actually the one who initiated court proceedings to have The Beatles legally disolved.

i just felt that john pretty much grew tired of being a beatle and wanted to part ways so fast and yoko only made it worse

I can see that and I recently read an article that said George wanted out of the band during the Revolver sessions and that he may have been embarrassed by Paul showing him up by playing the guitar solo on Taxman.

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2012, 02:57:12 PM »

if it wasn't for paul mccartney then they would've broke up before sgt. pepper

I agree and the irony is that Paul was actually the one who initiated court proceedings to have The Beatles legally disolved.

i just felt that john pretty much grew tired of being a beatle and wanted to part ways so fast and yoko only made it worse

I can see that and I recently read an article that said George wanted out of the band during the Revolver sessions and that he may have been embarrassed by Paul showing him up by playing the guitar solo on Taxman.
Wow smh :/ the beatles have a part of me since i was inside my mom's stomach she is a huge fan of them as well. i found out about the beach boys from my dad he made me listen  to pet sounds Smiley..so hearing that the beatles were going through all that sh*t is like ughhhhh..even though john was going through differences with mccartney he still managed to make great songs even towards the end of their career. i feel like the person who really got f***ed in the end was george because his writing skills were beginning to peak.
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 21, 2012, 03:03:04 PM »

And because I have nothing better to do on a Saturday night heres my top 10 favorite White Album tracks

1) Back in the U.S.S.R. (Because it sounds like The Beach Boys, co-written by Mike Love?)
2) While My Guitar Gently Weeps (One of George's best statements)
3) Happiness is a Warm Gun (One of John's best heroin songs)
4) Martha My Dear (If there's a better song written about a dog I haven't heard it!)
5) Blackbird (Not just one of the best on the White Album but one of my all time favorite Beatles songs)
6) Yer Blues (See number 3)
7) Mother Nature's Son (Sounds like something Donovan could've written)
Cool Helter Skelter (Paul's answer to I Can See For Miles)
9) Long, Long, Long (Spooky and underrated song by George)
10) Cry Baby Cry (One of the best Lennon songs on the album)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 03:06:08 PM by CaliforniaSlide » Logged

BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2012, 03:12:25 PM »

i feel like the person who really got f*cked in the end was george because his writing skills were beginning to peak.

Yes, George's confidence and skills as both a songwriter and guitarist were at it's peak in 1969. Paul apparently said to John in 1969 something like "This year George's songs are at least as good as ours." So true with stunning compositions like Something and Here Comes The Sun. I guess one good thing came out of George being dominated by Lennon/McCartney and that's his huge backlog of material resulted in the ambitious 3 record All Things Must Pass, widely praised as perhaps the very best solo album by a Beatle.

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2012, 03:23:03 PM »

Happiness is a warm gun is one of my faves. But is it about the H?
Had he even moved to Heroin yet? 71-75 maybe.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2012, 03:33:10 PM »

And because I have nothing better to do on a Saturday night heres my top 10 favorite White Album tracks

1) Back in the U.S.S.R. (Because it sounds like The Beach Boys, co-written by Mike Love?)
2) While My Guitar Gently Weeps (One of George's best statements)
3) Happiness is a Warm Gun (One of John's best heroin songs)
4) Martha My Dear (If there's a better song written about a dog I haven't heard it!)
5) Blackbird (Not just one of the best on the White Album but one of my all time favorite Beatles songs)
6) Yer Blues (See number 3)
7) Mother Nature's Son (Sounds like something Donovan could've written)
Cool Helter Skelter (Paul's answer to I Can See For Miles)
9) Long, Long, Long (Spooky and underrated song by George)
10) Cry Baby Cry (One of the best Lennon songs on the album)
i love martha my dear but damn it's about a fuckin dog? ;p lol 2 much spare time for mister mccartney lol
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2012, 03:34:01 PM »

i feel like the person who really got f*cked in the end was george because his writing skills were beginning to peak.

Yes, George's confidence and skills as both a songwriter and guitarist were at it's peak in 1969. Paul apparently said to John in 1969 something like "This year George's songs are at least as good as ours." So true with stunning compositions like Something and Here Comes The Sun. I guess one good thing came out of George being dominated by Lennon/McCartney and that's his huge backlog of material resulted in the ambitious 3 record All Things Must Pass, widely praised as perhaps the very best solo album by a Beatle.
:] if not better, and on let it be his compositions for you blue/i me mine is horrid imo :/
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2012, 03:37:14 PM »

So, what's wrong with writing a song about a dog. Most people that have one usually include it as part of the family. Henry Gross' Shannon is another great song about a dog (actually, Carl's dog).

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2012, 03:41:45 PM »

I think the meaning of the song's lyrics can be open to interpretation ie shooting horse or sex. I think Lennon was flirting with heroin around the time of The White Album and he was into it around Let It Be but I could be wrong.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2012, 03:42:35 PM »

So, what's wrong with writing a song about a dog. Most people that have one usually include it as part of the family. Henry Gross' Shannon is another great song about a dog (actually, Carl's dog).
Nothing, except "Wrinkles" from Country Love. Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2012, 03:45:33 PM »

I think the meaning of the song's lyrics can be open to interpretation ie shooting horse or sex. I think Lennon was flirting with heroin around the time of The White Album and he was into it around Let It Be but I could be wrong.
yes he was flirting with heroin around that time i even heard before
everone's got something to hide except for me and my monkey had something to do with heroin but i dont see how.
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2012, 03:51:05 PM »

i even heard before
everone's got something to hide except for me and my monkey had something to do with heroin but i dont see how.

Lennon had said that the song was about him and Yoko but McCartney believed it was about Lennon's heroin use.

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2012, 04:12:03 PM »

i even heard before

Lennon had said that the song was about him and Yoko but McCartney believed it was about Lennon's heroin use.
I'mma have to go with mccartney on that one just like how john said paul made get back for yoko lol
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx