gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680554 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 04:30:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles  (Read 67791 times)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 15, 2017, 11:22:04 AM »

Usually with the survivor pool, songs don't so much get voted out because they're not liked, it's just that the other songs are stronger.  Especially with these mid 60s Beatles releases. 

With the Beatles songs, picking the ones I really like or don't care for can't always be explained properly. I was around when these songs came out and remember in many cases what was taking place at the time.
For example, I really like "I've Just Seen a Face" from the Help! album. Not so much for the quality of the song but rather the "good vibe" that I associate with it. It was a hard decision to vote it out.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
KDS
« Reply #151 on: March 15, 2017, 11:51:22 AM »

Usually with the survivor pool, songs don't so much get voted out because they're not liked, it's just that the other songs are stronger.  Especially with these mid 60s Beatles releases. 

With the Beatles songs, picking the ones I really like or don't care for can't always be explained properly. I was around when these songs came out and remember in many cases what was taking place at the time.
For example, I really like "I've Just Seen a Face" from the Help! album. Not so much for the quality of the song but rather the "good vibe" that I associate with it. It was a hard decision to vote it out.

I feel the same way about It's Only Love, pretty simple song, and not some of Lennon's better lyrics, but I like the feel.  I can't believe it was one of the first to go.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 15, 2017, 05:00:22 PM »

I feel the same way about It's Only Love, pretty simple song, and not some of Lennon's better lyrics, but I like the feel.  I can't believe it was one of the first to go.

I know Lennon disliked the song, but I love it too. It's so fun to sing!
KDS
« Reply #153 on: March 15, 2017, 08:17:10 PM »

I know Lennon disliked the song, but I love it too. It's so fun to sing!

John was often unkind about the songs from the early Beatles years.  I wonder if he would've softened on that stance had he lived beyond 40.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: April 07, 2017, 04:02:05 PM »

My heart wants to give every original Beatles album 5 stars out of 5. My head wants The lowest rating to be 4 stars. No other band means more to me..... except The Beach Boys.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 25, 2017, 04:59:48 PM »

Just found out that the PBS Network will be broadcasting Ron Howard's "Eight Days a Week" documentary on November 25 at 8:00 pm US Eastern Time (but check local listings for time in your area)
Assume this will be during a pledge drive, but nice to see it all the same.

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

KDS
« Reply #156 on: October 02, 2017, 08:22:47 AM »

Just found out that the PBS Network will be broadcasting Ron Howard's "Eight Days a Week" documentary on November 25 at 8:00 pm US Eastern Time (but check local listings for time in your area)

I was disappointed that the BluRay didn't include the Shea Stadium concert, which was apparently shown with the movie during the brief theater run.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 02, 2017, 08:48:46 AM »

It's also on Hulu.

Edit: As is The U.S. vs John Lennon. Though, I haven't seen it myself...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 08:51:48 AM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 02, 2017, 12:46:45 PM »

I was disappointed that the BluRay didn't include the Shea Stadium concert, which was apparently shown with the movie during the brief theater run.
That would have made it worth buying. As it is, the documentary is mostly footage I have seen elsewhere. There's nothing in that film that wasn't covered in the Anthology. The First US Visit is a good film to see, too.
KDS
« Reply #159 on: October 02, 2017, 12:48:53 PM »

That would have made it worth buying. As it is, the documentary is mostly footage I have seen elsewhere. There's nothing in that film that wasn't covered in the Anthology. The First US Visit is a good film to see, too.

I agree.   I thought overall that the doc was a little underwhelming.  After watching Anthology, there's not much that hasn't really been covered. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 07, 2017, 06:06:47 AM »

This infuriatingly brief snippet is from the utterly wonderful "Savoy Truffle", which has most cruelly been voted out at the "Survivor" topic. Great lyrics, fantastic sax lines, great ambience. Folks, please reconsider!   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNMLQlAO3rI

If it's good enough for Ella...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KmvANzwRWk

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 07, 2017, 04:27:33 PM »

This infuriatingly brief snippet is from the utterly wonderful "Savoy Truffle", which has most cruelly been voted out at the "Survivor" topic. Great lyrics, fantastic sax lines, great ambience. Folks, please reconsider!  

It hasn't been and it's not about to be.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 08, 2017, 02:17:32 AM »

Well, that's a relief. Thanks, B.E. I don't usually follow the "Survivor" topic so it's all a bit over my head. Grin

Fingers and other appendages crossed that it stays not voted out...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
KDS
« Reply #163 on: October 24, 2017, 06:57:53 AM »

Has anybody watched the new doc "It Was 50 Years Ago Today" on Sgt Pepper? 

I think it's on Netflix.  After watching Anthology, it seems like any new Beatles documentary just pales in comparison.  I mentioned earlier that I thought Ron Howard's documentary on The Beatles was a little underwhelming.  I was hoping that doc would finally lead to official releases of such Beatles shows at Live at Shea or Live at the Buddokan, but that doesn't seem to be the case. 
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 24, 2017, 10:11:08 AM »

Well, that's a relief. Thanks, B.E. I don't usually follow the "Survivor" topic so it's all a bit over my head. Grin

Voted off today.  Cry  LOL
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 24, 2017, 10:50:20 AM »

Poop. I've used this emote once today so why not a second time...  Thud

KDS
« Reply #166 on: October 24, 2017, 11:41:45 AM »

Not a Second Time.    There's an underrated Beatles number.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 24, 2017, 12:08:11 PM »

Not a Second Time.    There's an underrated Beatles number.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJRdOhBvwN0

Thanks to a number of MBs, including this one, I'm in the process of shaking off my long-term general aversion to the Fabs (due to excessive adulation by others at school, many years ago). General aversion because there have always been exceptions.

I can appreciate their qualities much better now although no way are they ever going to take the place of Brian and co----or U2, for that matter. Or Beefheart. Or a whole bunch of others. But I'm much more comfortable with them now.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 11, 2018, 07:01:04 AM »

The Beatles vs Beach Boys 1964 thread made me think back to that year.
I was 6 years old when the Beatles first came to America (turned 7 a month later).  But I have two older sisters who were going gaga about the Beatles coming here (they saw them when they performed here in September). I remember a sister criticizing a newspaper article for mixing up 2 of the Beatles in a photo (Paul and George); my sister said, "Don't they know anything?" LOL.
 at night it was All Beatles All The Time. There was a Beatlemania program. Also a program featuring George's older sister, Louise.
While in Canada on vacation in June I remember a radio station wishing Paul Happy Birthday.
Was it that crazy in the UK?

KDS
« Reply #169 on: January 11, 2018, 07:55:06 AM »

There were yearly BB v Beatles polls on the PSF too running from 1963-70.   

Looking at those albums, and revisiting some of the material, it's astounding to me that, through stylistic changes, and everything that happened in that short amount of time, that The Beatles remained so consistently good.  Almost 50 years after their breakup, there's nobody since that has such a track record. 

Looking at the modern music landscape, I'm 100% confident no artist will arise to take that crown away from John, Paul, George, and Ringo.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 05, 2019, 01:31:54 PM »

My song of the moment--and what a song it is too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zc3idF_IZ0

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 05, 2019, 05:40:29 PM »

Save the main melody riff, IATM is boring to the fault.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 06, 2019, 06:01:54 AM »

Maybe you prefer the truly fantastic cover by Steve Hillage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM9oNigAIrI

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 06, 2019, 11:37:17 AM »

My song of the moment--and what a song it is too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zc3idF_IZ0

One of my all-time favourite Beatles song and my favourite song of George's with the band.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 07, 2019, 11:46:50 PM »

I am usually partial to any GH songs on the Beatles albums, but I agree, this is one of his lesser efforts.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx