gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 11:52:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles  (Read 67819 times)
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2011, 01:45:26 AM »

I wanted to start a thread about the most famous band of all time. If your a Beatles fan please share your thoughts, list your favorite songs, whatever. Earlier today I conducted an experiment, I listened to all The Beatles albums in order. I can't say that I understand them, they've just never really wowed me. I've yet to hear a song by them that I just *have* to hear again, perhaps the closest I've come to that is I'm Only Sleeping. Sure they have good songs, even some great ones, but none of them feel really special to me. I guess over the last month or two I've been listening to them a lot, and just want to hear thoughts and comments from other people.

My ratings:
Please Please Me: 7/10
With The Beatles: 7
Hard Days Night: 7.5
Beatles For Sale: 8
Help: 8.5
Rubber Soul: 9
Revolver: 8.9
Sgt. Peppers: 8
Magical Mystery Tour: 9
S/T: 7
Yellow Submarine: 4 (why does this even count as an official Beatles LP?)
Abbey Road: 8.5
Let It Be: 6

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 02:24:05 AM »

Who?

No mas, por favor.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 07:13:51 AM »

Please Please Me: 6/10
With The Beatles: 7.5/10
A Hard Days Night: 8.5/10
Beatles For Sale: 8/10
Help!: 8/10
Rubber Soul: 9.5/10
Revolver: 10/10
Sgt. Pepper: 9/10
Magical Mystery Tour: 9/10
S/T: 9/10
Abbey Road: 10/10
Let It Be: 7.5/10

A discipline daddy.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 07:27:51 AM »

Please Please Me: 7/10
With The Beatles: 7.5/10
A Hard Days Night: 8.5/10
Beatles For Sale: 8/10
Help!: 6/10
Rubber Soul: 9/10
Revolver: 9.5/10
Sgt. Pepper: 9.5/10
Magical Mystery Tour: 8.5/10
White Album: 10/10
Abbey Road: 10/10
Let It Be: 7.5/10
Let It Be... Naked: 10/10
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 08:04:29 AM »

The stunning debut, Rubber Soul, Revolver and Abbey Road are albums I'd probably award 10/10. I'm not a rabid fan by any means, certainly where McCartney is concerned, but they have done some extraordinary things.

One track? I'd probably single out "The Word". That is amazing!

While on the subject: I've not only been banned from Capitol's Beatles message board but all my 200-plus posts have been removed! So much for my career as a Beatles fan.  LOL

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 08:07:05 AM »

Magical Mystery Tour is becoming one of my favorite albums.

It reminds me of 20/20 in a way; there are different pieces that don't seem belong with each other, but for some reason it fits.

Penny Lane is one of my favorite songs. The bass in 'Baby You're A Rich Man' is one of my favorite bass lines ever. 'SFF' is a fantastic trip. 'Your Mother Should Know' really reminds me of Smiley Smile - I really wonder what the Beatles thought of that record! The whole album carries on a psychedelic feel - some of it is gloomy, some is dreamy, some is happy.....and it's all high-quality/phenomenal music.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 09:00:21 AM »

I think John was embarassed that he wrote "The Word" wasn't he? 

When I was in High School, I got into the Beatles as the anthologys came out.  I was blown away.  Amazing band.

My theory is, and I don't care if anybody agrees, the Beatles were inspired by God to write their music.  I'm dead serious.  I attribute a lot of talented bands with that, definately the Beach Boys as well.  Anyways, the Beatles, as individuals, weren't the greatest ever but put all together, they were.  Some of their songs are so simple, it should be impossible that they were the first to come up with that, but yet there it is. 

I won't get into rating their albums because that's pretty subjective, I'll just say I've enjoyed their music so much, and I think they've done a lot, through their music, to effect the way people live their lives.  No other band ever spread as much happiness, love, and good times as the Beatles did, all around the world.  Their contribution not only to music but to the human experience is tremendous.  I'm dead serious.  I can't tell you how many times I've laughed, smiled, loved, or cheered up because I heard a Beatles song somewhere.

Some of their early albums are really overlooked, lots of great music there.  Also lots of great memories of the first time I heard some of the songs, for instance I was sleeping at a friends house at the Beach the first time I heard Revolver.  I woke up 15 or 16 times that night because I had the cd on repeat, and kept waking up everytime "For No One" played.  I can remember driving around in a car, listening to "Help" and being blown away the first time I ever heard "I've just seen a face". 
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 09:03:00 AM »

Well put Ron. I agree 100%.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 11:38:32 AM »

I think I liked Rubber Soul the best, 14 songs felt a little long to me, and some songs I wished would have faded out a few bars early, or dropped a verse or something (which is funny considering that most of the songs are already under 3 minutes), but the songwritting is very nice. Everything is very nuanced and subtle.

By S/T though, Paul and John seemed to have become much less interesting song writers. Lyrically that album is terrible. I want to take all of Paul's little characters and blast them off on a rocket into the sun. John's acerbic humor grows really thin after awhile too, and the blues songs on that record suck.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 11:40:05 AM by Fishmonk » Logged

1-1-wonderful
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 11:55:13 AM »

Who?
My Generation 7.5
A Quick One 5.5
Sell Out 8.0
Tommy 8.5
Live at Leeds 9.5
Who's Next 10.0
Quadrophenia 9.5
By Numbers 7.0
Who are You 6.5
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 12:02:21 PM »

I may feel incredibly stupid once I know the answer but, what album is S/T?
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 12:13:59 PM »

I may feel incredibly stupid once I know the answer but, what album is S/T?

White Album

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 12:25:41 PM »

Oh, Self Titled. Gracias.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 12:42:52 PM »

Ray Davies reviews Revolver:

Side One: "Taxman" - "It sounds like a cross between the Who and Batman. It's a bit limited, but the Beatles get over this by the sexy double-tracking. It's surprising how sexy double-tracking makes a voice sound."

"Eleanor Rigby" - "I bought a Haydn LP the other day and this sounds just like it. It's all sort of quartet stuff and it sounds like they're out to please music teachers in primary schools. I can imagine John saying: 'I'm going to write this for my old schoolmistress'. Still it's very commercial."

"I'm Only Sleeping" - "It's a most beautiful song, much prettier than 'Eleanor Rigby'. A jolly old thing, really, and definitely the best track on the album.

"Love You Too" - "George wrote this - he must have quite a big influence on the group now. This sort of song I was doing two years ago - now I'm doing what the Beatles were doing two years ago. It's not a bad song - it's well performed which is always true of a Beatles track."

"Here There and Everywhere" - "This proves that the Beatles have got good memories, because there are a lot of busy chords in it. It's nice - like one instrument with the voice and the guitar merging. Third best track on the album."

"Yellow Submarine" - ""This is a load of rubbish, really. I take the mickey out of myself on the piano and play stuff like this. I think they know it's not that good."

"She Said She Said" - "This song is in to restore confidence in old Beatles sound. That's all."

"Good Day Sunshine" - "This'll be a giant. It doesn't force itself on you, but it stands out like 'I'm Only Sleeping'. This is back to the real old Beatles. I just don't like the electronic stuff. The Beatles were supposed to be like the boy next door only better."

"And Your Bird Can Sing" - "Don't like this. The song's too predictable. It's not a Beatles song at all."

"Dr. Robert" - "It's good - there's a 12-bar beat and bits in it that are clever. Not my sort of thing, though."

"I Want To Tell You" - "This helps the LP through though it's not up to the Beatles standard."

"Got To Get You Into My Life" - "Jazz backing - and it just goes to prove that Britain's jazz musicians can't swing. Paul's sings better jazz than the musicians are playing which makes nonsense of people saying jazz and pop are very different. Paul sounds like Little Richard. Really, it's the most vintage Beatles track on the LP."

"Tomorrow Never Knows" - "Listen to all those crazy sounds! It'll be popular in discotheques. I can imagine they had George Martin tied to a totem pole when they did this."

markcharles75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 02:15:00 PM »

Well I got into the Beatles heavy before I got into The Beach Boys...I ate it all up.  Even just from a historical point of view, it is essential, awesome, and mind blowing what they did in popular music.  But something happened.  I cannot get off on the Beatles that much anymore. I rarely listen to their albums and they don't move me emotionally like Brian Wilson does.  It is a strange thing.  Dare I say, it bores the living daylights out of me! I guess its hard to come close to Brian Wilson's genius.   But this is all just personal opinion...

"Watch the balloon you buy just to let fly away..."
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 02:19:45 PM »

I have trouble listening to other music as well because nothing moves me more than The Beach Boys. The production of anything else doesn't match up to the genius of Brian Wilson in his prime.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 07:20:10 PM »

I have trouble listening to other music as well because nothing moves me more than The Beach Boys. The production of anything else doesn't match up to the genius of Brian Wilson in his prime.

In the past few years I went from casual fan to I hardly even listen to music anymore unless its the Beach Boys. Quote inconvenient because its not the music my friends want to hear. Could never get into the Peedles. A couple good songs but a lot of fluff. The Beach Boys have those songs as well but the good ones more than make up for the Be True To Your Schools and Eveeyones In Love With Yous

No mas, por favor.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 08:06:32 PM »

I`d have to say that my faves are Please Rut Me, Tragical History Tour, The Triangular Album, and if solo stuff counts, Old Bag, All Things Must Rut, and Dark Side of the Sun.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2011, 08:24:03 AM »

The Beach Boys are my second favourite band.

The Beatles are the first. They've been in that position since I was about four years old and I'm sure they'll always be there.

To be honest, I find it somewhat unsettling that the campaign to make the Beach Boys hip again which started in the late 90s and continued throughout the next decade has led to a re-evaluation of the Beatles music. Well, I guess these things can be cyclical - the same opinions were held during the punk era. The Beatles will have their day again.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2011, 11:59:15 AM »

The Beach Boys are my second favourite band.

The Beatles are the first. They've been in that position since I was about four years old and I'm sure they'll always be there.

To be honest, I find it somewhat unsettling that the campaign to make the Beach Boys hip again which started in the late 90s and continued throughout the next decade has led to a re-evaluation of the Beatles music. Well, I guess these things can be cyclical - the same opinions were held during the punk era. The Beatles will have their day again.
There is not a damn thing wrong with The Beatles music. They will always be hip and be trendsetters in 60s rock and roll. Though The Beach Boys are my first love in music, there is no denying what the Beatles accomplished in their relatively short time together. I find Rubber Soul remarkable. I can understand why Brian was so blown away by it. Although the popularity of The Beach Boys waned after 1966, both bands were still feeding off each other creatively. I always hoped that the 1967-1973 period of music was re-evaluated on it's own merits, only because so much it was ignored by the general public when first released.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 12:30:30 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2011, 12:17:05 PM »

I always hoped that the 1967-1973 period of music was re-evaluated on it's own merits, only because so much it was ignored by the general public when first released.

I agree. And I think that's a huge issue with Beach Boys fans. If you look at a lot of the pre-1998 documentaries or biopics, they usually blow past that era with maybe a brief stop to hear Do It Again, I Can Hear Music, and Breakway.

Thankfully, there has been more of a recognition and appreciation of that era in the last ten years, what with the Endless Harmony doc, the Brian Wilson A&E show, the BW tours that have highlighted many of that eras music, the doc's and live albums from BW, the rerelease of the two-fers, etc.

Unfortunately, the negative side to this onslaught of this calculated campaign has been people just discovering the band now and coming to the conclusion that The Beatles had nothing on them, or even more, that the early surf stuff was minor Beach Boys.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2011, 01:03:36 PM »

I wanted to start a thread about the most famous band of all time.

WHY DID YOU HAVE TO BRING THEM UP FOR!!!???  Angry  LOL

The Beatles are my favorite band of all time.  They were the band that elevated my interest in music from being something that I occasionally listened to on the radio or on long car trips to becoming a legitimate passion of mine which since that time has become a huge part of my life.  I have to say I love all their albums and there probably isn't another band out there that I have as much of an interest in as The Beatles.

After all these years my favorite Beatles albums would have to be "A Hard Day's Night", "Rubber Soul" and "The White Album".  I throw in a special mention as well to John Lennon's first solo album and George Harrision's "All Things Must Pass" which is certainly in my top three favorite albums of all time.

I owe that band and their music so much that it's immeasurable.  For me there has never been a debate The Beatles are the greatest band of all time.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2011, 03:04:47 PM »

I always hoped that the 1967-1973 period of music was re-evaluated on it's own merits, only because so much it was ignored by the general public when first released.

I agree. And I think that's a huge issue with Beach Boys fans. If you look at a lot of the pre-1998 documentaries or biopics, they usually blow past that era with maybe a brief stop to hear Do It Again, I Can Hear Music, and Breakway.

Thankfully, there has been more of a recognition and appreciation of that era in the last ten years, what with the Endless Harmony doc, the Brian Wilson A&E show, the BW tours that have highlighted many of that eras music, the doc's and live albums from BW, the rerelease of the two-fers, etc.

Unfortunately, the negative side to this onslaught of this calculated campaign has been people just discovering the band now and coming to the conclusion that The Beatles had nothing on them, or even more, that the early surf stuff was minor Beach Boys.

Preach it brother.  Some just don't understand both bands were great, and the early Beach Boys music was just as good as the later stuff.  Same with the Beatles.  When you've got it you've got it.  Surfin' USA had it's time as "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" did.  I have no problem when pointing to great Beatles songs, bringing up "She Loves You" or "Baby's in Black", or "Catch A Wave" for the boys, etc. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2011, 03:06:12 PM »

I throw in a special mention as well to John Lennon's first solo album and George Harrision's "All Things Must Pass" which is certainly in my top three favorite albums of all time.

I even bought John and Yoko's 'naked' album, what was that called, "Twin Pisces" or something?  It had John and Yoko nude on the cover.  Biggest bunch of rubbish ever, though, lol.  Just about an hour or bullshit recorded in his house, lol. 
richardsnow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2011, 05:09:06 PM »

My fave bands are the Beatles , The Byrds and the Beach boys.

but I have to give extra love to The Fabs for being consistantly high quality 62-69.    Brian's stuff 65-67 beats them I think , But The Beatles didn't have an MIU album or Keeping the Summer alive or Ringo's Drums.  they may have done a Beatle's party but they only saw light on the mad xmas flexi discs.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx