gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:07:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New studio album (Ocean Way sessions)  (Read 119163 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #350 on: October 29, 2011, 12:38:35 PM »

Yeah, we're gonna get an entire album of "How Can We Still Be Dancin'", no thanks.

I'd have been okay with that if it was BRIAN singing lead.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 29, 2011, 05:11:44 PM »

"Just another album with good songs, some of it rock 'n' roll, some of it not."

Please make it ALL Rock & Roll, Brian. None o' that wimp rock! Couple ballads will be OK, but let's boogie! Driving guitars and bass, drums, the whole nine yards. Give it a little Spectoresqe feel and you got a million and two seller!

I agree!  Brian should ROCK THIS sh*t.  Johnny Cash did.  If Johnny Cash can make a Rock and Roll record, then DIE, Brian can make one when he's on top of his game like he is right now.  If Paul McCartney can still go on Jools Holland and kick ass singing "I Feel Fine" like he did recently, Brian can get off his ass and make some Rock and Roll like he's been threatening us with for the past 10 years.  Go Brian! Do it!  Again!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 29, 2011, 05:12:38 PM »

"Just another album with good songs, some of it rock 'n' roll, some of it not."

Please make it ALL Rock & Roll, Brian. None o' that wimp rock! Couple ballads will be OK, but let's boogie! Driving guitars and bass, drums, the whole nine yards. Give it a little Spectoresqe feel and you got a million and two seller!

but those have been the worst songs on every bw release

Not that kind of Rock.  That's p*ssy Rock, I'm talking about GOOD rock. 
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 29, 2011, 06:12:22 PM »

As much as I love BB Love You, I understand why it doesn't sit well with folks like Jeff F. and B. Wilson himself, and why it seems to be neglected in the BW solo period. Although we (demented) fans love the high energy riff rock with its crazed, pounding synths-- even when it veers toward seeming adolescent simplicity -- I'm all but certain that it means something entirely different to its composer. It is regression on tape. Brian Wilson was not at his best when he created this manic, but compelling, music.

I would love to hear a 2012 version of Love You, but the man who made that album is (thankfully) long gone. He will now make music from a comfortable place. And he deserves that luxury.

If, despite all the odds, the Beach Boys make another album, I wouldn't set the bar too high. However, if they deliver a truly great swan song, I will be the first to shed a tear.

Maybe something along the lines of This Whole World...?
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 29, 2011, 06:27:27 PM »

As much as I love BB Love You, I understand why it doesn't sit well with folks like Jeff F. and B. Wilson himself,

Brian has frequently said that Love You is his favorite album.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 30, 2011, 12:12:24 PM »

As much as I love BB Love You, I understand why it doesn't sit well with folks like Jeff F. and B. Wilson himself,

Brian Wilson:   "(Friends) seems to fit the way I live better.  It's simple, and I can hear it anytime without having to get into a mood.  Pet Sounds carries a lot more emotion, at least for me...  Pet Sounds is by far my very best album.  Still, though, my favorite is Friends."

He has lots of favorites, of course. Alright, though. Brian probably doesn't dislike it, but I'd bet his management and inner circle (wife?) don't enjoy it. Too weird for the man at this point in his career. IMHO.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 30, 2011, 12:30:24 PM »

Brian Wilson:   "(Friends) seems to fit the way I live better.  It's simple, and I can hear it anytime without having to get into a mood.  Pet Sounds carries a lot more emotion, at least for me...  Pet Sounds is by far my very best album.  Still, though, my favorite is Friends."

He has lots of favorites, of course. Alright, though. Brian probably doesn't dislike it, but I'd bet his management and inner circle (wife?) don't enjoy it. Too weird for the man at this point in his career. IMHO.

I've also heard Brian say how much he loved "Love You" so it's surprising to hear that he claims "Friends" is his favorite.  Then again, I think it was in the Endless Harmony doc where he said "Love YOu" was his favorite...not sure how many other times he's said it.  We could all be relying on what he said in that documentary and taking it as gospel.  Maybe his favorites change daily...like ours do?
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 30, 2011, 10:11:19 PM »

I think Brian does this sh*t on purpose.  You can tell by how quickly he answers the questions.  He's fucking with us.  In an interview a few months back, he waxed prophetically about how Ding Dang was such a great melody or something like that. 
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 30, 2011, 10:18:01 PM »

Brian changes his mind often, we know this. When he said Love You was his favorite Beach Boys album, it really was at that time. However, he has never spoken ill of the record. Foskett disliking it is straight up sickening.

I would love to hear a 2012 version of Love You, but the man who made that album is (thankfully) long gone.

Doubtful.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 30, 2011, 11:02:50 PM »

I don't know if everyone sees it this way but for me, what makes Love You so valuable is that it's pretty much the only album post-Pet Sounds (or Smile) where you can sense that Brian is really controlling the sound.  The most valuable quality is the idea that you are getting to hear a whole sound world coming straight out of Brian's head, and it's a quality in really really short supply outside of 1966.  Love You may not be as elegant but it does have that quality to it, for me. 

Anyway I guess I'd be disappointed to learn that all the synths were actually programmed or arranged by Earl Mankey or something.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #360 on: October 30, 2011, 11:19:29 PM »

Wasn't that a quote from 1968?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #361 on: October 30, 2011, 11:24:05 PM »

Foskett disliking it is straight up sickening.

Why so? Personally I totally understand him...

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #362 on: October 30, 2011, 11:28:17 PM »

Anyway I guess I'd be disappointed to learn that all the synths were actually programmed or arranged by Earl Mankey or something.

But why? The recordings don't change if that were the case. They'd still sound the same.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: October 31, 2011, 03:02:04 AM »

Wasn't that a quote from 1968?

Haha probably. I just cherry picked it. If it is from 1968, I guess it makes a lot of sense that Friends was his favorite, huh?!  LOL
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: October 31, 2011, 07:02:04 AM »

Personally I don't even think Love You is THAT different from other Beach Boys records. In terms of vocal performances and lyrics it lacks a certain polish but the Moog had been there for many years by that point (the same goes for the sometimes quirky yet oddly touching lyrical content).
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: October 31, 2011, 07:24:19 AM »

But why? The recordings don't change if that were the case. They'd still sound the same.

It's not that I would suddenly become disappointed with the music, I would just be disappointed in losing my pet theory about the album.

I mean I love Earl Mankey, early Sparks is awesome and he's a huge part of it.  Cool
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: October 31, 2011, 08:08:27 AM »

It's hard to understand why would a BB fan not want a new album and would prefer an EP or no album at all instead.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #367 on: October 31, 2011, 08:11:41 AM »

If they don't call this album F*ckin' With The Formula then they've lost a valuable oppurtunity in reconnecting with the kids.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 12:56:18 PM by Iron Horse-Apples » Logged
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: October 31, 2011, 09:43:05 AM »

I think Brian does this sh*t on purpose.  You can tell by how quickly he answers the questions.  He's friggin' with us.  In an interview a few months back, he waxed prophetically about how Ding Dang was such a great melody or something like that. 

Yeah I agree...although I think a little part of it is just Brian's inability to stay consistent.  And we have his mental troubles to blame for that.  It seems that Brian will praise anything just because a certain question is asked of him.   "Brian, what do you think of the "Surf's Up" album?"  "Oh, that's one of my favorites.  One of the best records I ever wrote.  Completely out of sight!"  Brian simply throws these statements out, but I don't think he actually believes them...but we all do. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: October 31, 2011, 02:16:58 PM »

I believe Brian's created an alter Ego.  Interview man.  So when he goes into an interview, he turns into Interview man. 

Brian, what was it like recording ....(new album)....?

Brian:

"It was great! The Harmonies are out of sight!  We made it pretty, but some of it is Rock and Roll!  Like on ..... (insert any song).... , we really got the harmonies Just right!"

etc.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: October 31, 2011, 03:04:10 PM »

haha yeah I can actually see that.  Brian does put on a different persona when he's being interviewed...if he's in the right mood.  It seems lately he's been quite bored with doing interviews and hasn't been afraid to show it....giving one word or 2 sentence answers and never really elaborating on any ideas/answers.  He gives rather exaggerated responses to questions which should teach us to never really take everything he says as gospel. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: October 31, 2011, 03:07:11 PM »

The most shocking one was that interview a few years ago, where they actually left the raw footage in of Brian looking like he was going to sleep, then his assistant or whatever telling him to snap out of it and that they were going to have to redo the entire interview, etc. and then Brian looking like a scolded puppy afterwards, lol. 
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: October 31, 2011, 03:14:31 PM »

The most shocking one was that interview a few years ago, where they actually left the raw footage in of Brian looking like he was going to sleep, then his assistant or whatever telling him to snap out of it and that they were going to have to redo the entire interview, etc. and then Brian looking like a scolded puppy afterwards, lol. 

Whoa, link?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: October 31, 2011, 03:20:28 PM »

Whoa, link?

Yes, please....never saw such an interview! 

Wonder who would scold him like that?  Foskett?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: October 31, 2011, 03:22:45 PM »

Brian's people just need to leave him the heck alone. He just needs an honorable retirement at this point.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx