gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:56:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New studio album (Ocean Way sessions)  (Read 119175 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: October 11, 2011, 08:28:44 PM »

Rab2591, thanks for the "Do It Again" info.  Can't wait to see the video!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 11, 2011, 08:32:50 PM »

My vote is for: "The Faded Rock Group Revival" album.

My vote is for "Reverberation"!  Or "Landlocked". Ha Ha Ha Ha!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 11, 2011, 08:34:57 PM »

Rab2591, thanks for the "Do It Again" info.  Can't wait to see the video!

I don't know how reliable the info is, but if it's true I can't wait either!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 11, 2011, 08:38:04 PM »

you're still a mystery is one of the only tunes that needs a release i think.  I'm sure it'll be a mix of new and re-recorded unreleased.  brian said he's writing new songs.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 11, 2011, 08:38:53 PM »

Ocean Way is not a good album title (imo). It's only slightly better than, say, Keepin' The Summer Alive or Summer In Paradise.

How about "Summer In Autumn"?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 11, 2011, 08:39:40 PM »

My vote is for: "The Faded Rock Group Revival" album.

My vote is for "Reverberation"!  Or "Landlocked". Ha Ha Ha Ha!
I'm liking the ring of the title  "Ocean Way- The Beach Boys"

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 11, 2011, 08:47:05 PM »

I like the Doctor's title. "The Faded Rock Group Revival". Technically Bruce Johnston's made-up title for an album in the works.

jimmy1949
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 11, 2011, 08:50:56 PM »

I cannot for the life of me imagine Brian Wilson standing in a studio singing along to a recording of his long gone brother Carl or Dennis. I think it would not be a pleasant situation for him.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 11, 2011, 08:51:40 PM »

"pleasure island" would work if Brian uses the beach boys to complete his rock and roll album he has been talking about since 1999....  Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 11, 2011, 09:08:06 PM »

I cannot for the life of me imagine Brian Wilson standing in a studio singing along to a recording of his long gone brother Carl or Dennis. I think it would not be a pleasant situation for him.

Uh, "Soul Searchin'"?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 11, 2011, 09:16:39 PM »

"pleasure island" would work if Brian uses the beach boys to complete his rock and roll album he has been talking about since 1999....  Grin

Pleasure Island is miles better than Ocean Way. And its a name that would intrigue today's audience more as well.

Which place would you choose to go?

No mas, por favor.
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 11, 2011, 09:28:06 PM »

Consider:  Brian's unheard-of return to vocal form in his 60's since the release of Smile, the amazing production of the Disney record (some of his best work since 1967, IMHO), the crap-eating grin on his face in the recent FB Capitol records photos, the Smile Sessions being released in a few weeks , and the fact that he holds the ultimate hand in any BB reunion-- I'm certain he could negotiate full authority in every realm in the project, and even have Darian with him every time he's in a room with Mike (a sort-of reverse Surf-Nazi kind of deal...), or he'd be glad to walk away and return to living-legend land.

There's only one title for this puppy:

The Beach Boys -- Return of the Piper (2011)

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 11, 2011, 09:37:40 PM »

Return of the Piper is also better than Ocean Way.

No mas, por favor.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 11, 2011, 09:52:42 PM »

I don't understand why people keep asking for re-recordings of old songs they've already heard. Give me 12 new ones!!!

Preach it brother.  If Brian wrote 20 songs in a weekend, 5 years ago, then by god Brian, Mike, Al, & Bruce can write 12 in a month. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 11, 2011, 10:00:23 PM »

I just think, as a final farewell album, they can do better than 'Desert Drive' and 'Dancin' The Night Away'.

That is, in my opinion, honestly the best they can do.

We will be lucky if a reunion album has songs of that quality.

I mean, what else has anyone in the group produced in the last 30 years that suggests they can top those songs? Brian has certainly written some good ballads in that time, but have any of his up tempo tunes fared better than these two?

Good Kinda Love. 

Live Let Live

The Waltz

Oxygen to the Brain

California Role

there's 5 that are better than Desert Drive and Dance the night away, imho.  That's not counting Ballads; which were all better than these.  "Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl" shits all over anything mentioned in this thread yet. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: October 11, 2011, 10:03:48 PM »

He did JUST THAT on Getting In Over My Head.  Did you not hear that album? 
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 11, 2011, 10:06:39 PM »

Brian wrote 20 songs in a weekend? Really? What songs were they?

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 11, 2011, 10:20:27 PM »

Brian said that in a few interviews, I believe he's talking about the entirety of "Lucky Old Sun", and the other songs that were kicked around about that time like "The Path of Life" and "The Beatleman" or whatever that song's called (I've never heard it).  You've got to remember when Brian talks about writing songs he's generally talking about the actual composition not necessarily the lyrics. 

Still though, even if Brian just writes the music if he can write 20 in a weekend (according to him) then he definately still has the abillity to help the Beach Boys make an album. 

BTW, to change topic again (sorry).... does anybody else find it FASCINATING that the more things change, the more they stay the same? 

The band (the beach boys) is once again begging Brian to help them make a record.  Begging Brian to go on tour with them.  Brian's once again battling writers block, and self-doubt. 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 11, 2011, 10:32:49 PM »

I like the idea somebody here had about the group doing a song about Dennis or Carl, rather than trying to relcomplete an unreleased song with Carl or Dennis singing. Something along the lines of Brian's Back. Ocean Way could be a song about how Dennis loved to take his boat out on the ocean, or how he loved to surf.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 11, 2011, 10:44:07 PM »

Jay, have you ever heard "Calpyso" by John Denver?  He wrote it about Jauques Cousteou (sorry Jauques, I just butchered your name!).  GREAT song that captured the spirit of the man (the Calypso was Jauque's boat!) and really illustrated what kind of person he was, as well as John's great gift for songwriting.

Or have you ever heard (this is pretty silly) "Bob's got a swing band in heaven" ?  LOL!  It's about Bob Wills and his band, of course they wouldn't do anything like that for Carl or Dennis but it just shows that sometimes the best way to honor somebody who's gone is to write a great song about what they were like, and what they loved, how they lived their lives.

Or on a sadder note, something like George Jones' "Who's gonna fill their shoes?" . 

OR, Don McClean's "American Pie". 

They wouldn't have to write anything as serious as that but I think they could come up with something good.  Calpyso is the best example of what I'd like to hear. 
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #245 on: October 11, 2011, 10:58:40 PM »

ah, John Denver. he was my obsession before the Beach Boys. the reason I wore flannel before it was cool.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 12, 2011, 12:43:38 AM »

Jay, have you ever heard "Calpyso" by John Denver?  He wrote it about Jauques Cousteou (sorry Jauques, I just butchered your name!).  GREAT song that captured the spirit of the man (the Calypso was Jauque's boat!) and really illustrated what kind of person he was, as well as John's great gift for songwriting.

Or have you ever heard (this is pretty silly) "Bob's got a swing band in heaven" ?  LOL!  It's about Bob Wills and his band, of course they wouldn't do anything like that for Carl or Dennis but it just shows that sometimes the best way to honor somebody who's gone is to write a great song about what they were like, and what they loved, how they lived their lives.

Or on a sadder note, something like George Jones' "Who's gonna fill their shoes?" . 

They wouldn't have to write anything as serious as that but I think they could come up with something good.  Calpyso is the best example of what I'd like to hear. 
The only song out of those that I know is American Pie. I'll have to look up the others you mentioned.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Paulos
« Reply #247 on: October 12, 2011, 02:24:57 AM »

Jay, have you ever heard "Calpyso" by John Denver?  He wrote it about Jauques Cousteou (sorry Jauques, I just butchered your name!).  GREAT song that captured the spirit of the man (the Calypso was Jauque's boat!) and really illustrated what kind of person he was, as well as John's great gift for songwriting.

Or have you ever heard (this is pretty silly) "Bob's got a swing band in heaven" ?  LOL!  It's about Bob Wills and his band, of course they wouldn't do anything like that for Carl or Dennis but it just shows that sometimes the best way to honor somebody who's gone is to write a great song about what they were like, and what they loved, how they lived their lives.

They wouldn't have to write anything as serious as that but I think they could come up with something good.  Calpyso is the best example of what I'd like to hear.  

Another song in this vein is 'Three Stars' performed by Eddie Cochran which pays tribute to Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens & The Big Bopper, sad that Eddie himself then died around a year after recording this.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 02:25:52 AM by Paulos » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #248 on: October 12, 2011, 03:00:27 AM »

Oh no, please no song about Dennis/Carl. Do you have an idea how cheesy that would be? We're talking about the Beach Boys. "Brian's back" alone is terrible enough lyrically. Or listened to Mike's tribute to George Harrison "Pisces brothers" ? Do you really want to have something like that on a new (and certainly last) Beach Boys album ? Carl's "Like a brother" is a nice exception but that was written about Brian.

Somebody said he never listened to Brian's recordings that were recorded around the time of TLOS. Here are some links.

Message man:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6rFh8OyHfg

I'm into something good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bspy0vlTqQ&feature=related

Just like me and you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5BAoTp-6y4&feature=related

Couldn't find "Oh mi amore".

There are still two older Brian compositions that I'd love to hear completed with the Beach Boys. "Do you have any regrets" and "I sleep alone". The latetr one has to have a slight change of the lyrics

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 12, 2011, 03:22:03 AM »

Brian said that in a few interviews, I believe he's talking about the entirety of "Lucky Old Sun", and the other songs that were kicked around about that time like "The Path of Life" and "The Beatleman" or whatever that song's called (I've never heard it).  You've got to remember when Brian talks about writing songs he's generally talking about the actual composition not necessarily the lyrics. 

Beatleman became Message Man, from the TLOS bonus tracks.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx