gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:43:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New studio album (Ocean Way sessions)  (Read 119169 times)
MEConner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 10, 2011, 06:45:14 AM »

"Prius Party!!"

Cool

This has got to be the funniest thing I've heard all week.  The 2011 version of "PT Cruiser".... 

How about-
"Good Vi-ragra"
"401k"
"I Hoveround"
"Surf n' Turfer Girl"
"Convalescence (incorporating "Rest Home on the Range")"
"Add Some Muslix to Your Day"
"Catheter Crazy Cutie"
"Crotchety Love vs. Sedated Wilson"
"Custom Oxygen Machine"
"Endless Agony"
"H.O.S.P.I.C.E is on its Way"
"Help Me I've Fallen (and I Can Get Up)"
"I Went to Sleep/Forever" medley
"I've Become My Ol' Man"
"Hot Flashes in the Summertime"
"Livin' with a Heart Monitor"
"Passing On"

I need a hobby.....  Embarrassed

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: October 10, 2011, 06:53:23 AM »

Just remembered that "Dancin' the night away" is also still there with some Carl vocals. That "somewhere near Malibu"-part is breathtaking imo.

And again: can anyone explain where and what exactly Brian said about Joe Thomas ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 10, 2011, 07:13:56 AM »

Just remembered that "Dancin' the night away" is also still there with some Carl vocals. That "somewhere near Malibu"-part is breathtaking imo.

And again: can anyone explain where and what exactly Brian said about Joe Thomas ?

No only Carl vocals. It also has some killer guitar work from him

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 10, 2011, 08:15:11 AM »

the whole "everybody brings a few of their best songs" approach doesn't particularly appeal to me.
It's been the approach from 20/20 onwards LOL

Point taken, and that was all well and good all members were alive, but this time around there's no Carl or Dennis to contribute good material (the latter especially), and I don't think I've heard Al or Bruce put out any decent original material in quite awhile.  So who does that leave...

If you want a good self-contained Beach Boys album with the best quality songwriting, I really think that Mike and Brian are the only legitimate shot we've got.

So, in other words, it's business as usual?  Oh that really sucks!  You mean all we have left is maybe the second or third best songwriting team of all time?  Damn I hate it when that happens. 

Second or third best of all time. You're not serious! I'd love to know what your first two are. Let me guess, Lennon and McCartney at number one. Of course!! Because musical history only began 50 years ago didn't it? Don't make ridiculous statements like this. I mean, I love Brian Wilson, and he is fantastic within his genre, but of all time 
Come on........

Of course musical history began 50 years ago, for songwritin teams.  I guess you could count Liszt and his wife but they didn't really write lyrics, eh?  Name 3 songwriting teams better than Wilson/Love.  I saw you named 1, it gets harder from there, huh?  Here's a clue: You're immediately off into musical land. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 10, 2011, 08:16:18 AM »

"Co-write?  Did Picasso ever Co-Paint with anybody?"

- Roger Miller
Jason
« Reply #105 on: October 10, 2011, 08:17:21 AM »

the whole "everybody brings a few of their best songs" approach doesn't particularly appeal to me.

Point taken, and that was all well and good all members were alive, but this time around there's no Carl or Dennis to contribute good material (the latter especially), and I don't think I've heard Al or Bruce put out any decent original material in quite awhile.  So who does that leave...

If you want a good self-contained Beach Boys album with the best quality songwriting, I really think that Mike and Brian are the only legitimate shot we've got.

So, in other words, it's business as usual?  Oh that really sucks!  You mean all we have left is maybe the second or third best songwriting team of all time?  Damn I hate it when that happens. 

Second or third best of all time. You're not serious! I'd love to know what your first two are. Let me guess, Lennon and McCartney at number one. Of course!! Because musical history only began 50 years ago didn't it? Don't make ridiculous statements like this. I mean, I love Brian Wilson, and he is fantastic within his genre, but of all time 
Come on........

Of course musical history began 50 years ago, for songwritin teams.  I guess you could count Liszt and his wife but they didn't really write lyrics, eh?  Name 3 songwriting teams better than Wilson/Love.  I saw you named 1, it gets harder from there, huh?  Here's a clue: You're immediately off into musical land. 

Lennon/McCartney, Gershwin/Gershwin/Heyward, Lieber/Stoller
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 10, 2011, 08:18:54 AM »

I don't think the tweet means anything much really - probably just the DIA re-recording.

I for one hope that there IS NOT a NEW Beach Boys album being released - it will be compromised creatively and will stain the legacy they already have.

Sorry to be negative

Yeah, I agree.  I mean, what I HATE is when I go to the music store, and there's TOO MUCH MUSIC.  I hate it when they give me choices!  It's the same way with everything in life.  I hate when there's extra pretty women walking around.  I mean, when it enough enough.  If the Beach Boys record a new song, it will make my life worse somehow.  They might even play it on the radio, then that will be even MORE music that I might hear!  Hell, if it does good, they might even tour, and come to my town, and I'll have to not go out of my way to buy a ticket. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 10, 2011, 08:20:23 AM »

Come on........

Exactly who I was thinking of.  Notice only two of them wrote Rock, so where's that put Wilson/Love?  Glad you agree with me!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 10, 2011, 08:22:00 AM »

I don't think the tweet means anything much really - probably just the DIA re-recording.

I for one hope that there IS NOT a NEW Beach Boys album being released - it will be compromised creatively and will stain the legacy they already have.

Sorry to be negative

sup d00d, you heard anything these kids released in the 80s or 90s?

(yeah, a few songs are arguably decent. still. their legacy has been tarnished time and time again. too late for such a thing.)

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jason
« Reply #109 on: October 10, 2011, 08:22:47 AM »

So, in other words, it's business as usual?  Oh that really sucks!  You mean all we have left is maybe the second or third best songwriting team of all time?  Damn I hate it when that happens.  

Come on........

Of course musical history began 50 years ago, for songwritin teams.  I guess you could count Liszt and his wife but they didn't really write lyrics, eh?  Name 3 songwriting teams better than Wilson/Love.  I saw you named 1, it gets harder from there, huh?  Here's a clue: You're immediately off into musical land.  

Exactly who I was thinking of.  Notice only two of them wrote Rock, so where's that put Wilson/Love?  Glad you agree with me!

Best off adding Holland/Dozier/Holland as well. Whitfield/Strong, Goffin/King, Barry/Greenwich/Spector, Rodgers/Hammerstein, Rodgers/Hart...
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 08:26:08 AM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 10, 2011, 08:23:37 AM »

Agreed.

Too late for that – they might as well have a crack at going out on a high.  You don't have to buy it…

“We live in divisive times.”
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 10, 2011, 08:27:45 AM »

This:
http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20110727/entlife/707279991/

And this:
http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20110719/news/707199985/#ixzz1SaozGRcd

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 10, 2011, 08:34:47 AM »

I decided whilst taking a shower, to DOUBLE DOWN on my comment.

Brian Wilson, and Mike Love, are the best songwriting team WALKING THE PLANET.

and Real Beach Boy, sorry the wannabes you mentioned don't make the cut.  Sorry.  I like them, but they're just not tall enough. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 08:35:48 AM by Ron » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 10, 2011, 08:37:37 AM »

Maybe it was just because I was skimming through the articles trying to find whatever Brian said, but I couldn't really find anything. Couldn't even find the name "Joe Thomas" in the first article. Am I really so stupid?

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 10, 2011, 08:46:21 AM »

Sorry to be negative

sup d00d, you heard anything these kids released in the 80s or 90s?

(yeah, a few songs are arguably decent. still. their legacy has been tarnished time and time again. too late for such a thing.)

Yep I have heard just about everything they have released and most of the later stuff is poor - their voices are not as good as they were and unless there is a overall producer and writer (BW) all we will get is a watered down compromise - two stars at the most

Cheers

Richard
oldsurferdude
« Reply #115 on: October 10, 2011, 08:52:19 AM »

"Surf Yoga"
"Do it (Again)" feat. Snoop Dog
"Prius Party!!"
"Roller Derby Child"
 Cool
Prius Party-Genius, man.LOL. Don't forget Meditation Mama or Chrome Dome Mantra. Razz
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: October 10, 2011, 08:54:43 AM »

Maybe it was just because I was skimming through the articles trying to find whatever Brian said, but I couldn't really find anything. Couldn't even find the name "Joe Thomas" in the first article. Am I really so stupid?

Try the second link. It says that they are friends again and may even work together again. It doesn't say that they did, though.
We know that Brian recorded 5 songs in Chicago when he was playing there. But I don't think it  necessarily means they are working together. Maybe Brian just needed some demos for a new album and took the chance to record them there so he doesn't have to travel to another place in a short time. We'll have to wait I guess.

Songwriter debate:

Leiber & Stoller imo are the greatest Rock-/Pop-songwriting duo ever. The Gershwins are fantastic as well (I know, they're not rock). I would put them eye to eye. Lennon/McCartney wrote some great stuff but afaik many of it were solo efforts that only fell under the two name practice (Yesterday is a very famous example for that). Wilson/Love did many great things, we know that. But all in all I guess the music is many times much better than the words. No matter how much I love some of Mike's words, but his lyrics don't stand up to the music/composition. Of course there are exceptions

@LostArt: Thanks for the link !

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #117 on: October 10, 2011, 08:54:54 AM »

Of course musical history began 50 years ago, for songwritin teams. 

Are you mad?

The song, in it's present form can be dated back to at least Elizabethan times. That is to say a verse/chorus structure.

And I was being sarcastic about Lennon/McCartney.

It's time for the baby-boomers version of popular history to end. There was life before the 60's.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 10, 2011, 08:57:24 AM »

Shut up, you guys.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #119 on: October 10, 2011, 09:07:31 AM »

Shut up, you guys.

If you don't like the topic, ignore it. Don't you dare tell me to shut up.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 10, 2011, 09:12:24 AM »

Shut up, you guys.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
The Madcap
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 10, 2011, 09:17:47 AM »

So, in other words, it's business as usual?  Oh that really sucks!  You mean all we have left is maybe the second or third best songwriting team of all time?  Damn I hate it when that happens.  

Come on........

Of course musical history began 50 years ago, for songwritin teams.  I guess you could count Liszt and his wife but they didn't really write lyrics, eh?  Name 3 songwriting teams better than Wilson/Love.  I saw you named 1, it gets harder from there, huh?  Here's a clue: You're immediately off into musical land.  

Exactly who I was thinking of.  Notice only two of them wrote Rock, so where's that put Wilson/Love?  Glad you agree with me!

Best off adding Holland/Dozier/Holland as well. Whitfield/Strong, Goffin/King, Barry/Greenwich/Spector, Rodgers/Hammerstein, Rodgers/Hart...

I doubt any of you would agree with me, but I'm gonna go ahead and add Strummer/Jones to the list. The London Calling album alone warrants it in my opinion.

A broken man too tough to cry
The Madcap
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 10, 2011, 09:25:55 AM »

And on the topic of a new Beach Boys album, I'd say that on a scale of 1-5, with Pet Sounds being a 5 and Summer In Paradise being a 1, a new album would probably be about a 3.

A broken man too tough to cry
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 10, 2011, 09:43:17 AM »

Hoping for a reunion album that BW can take charge one last time like the old days and put out a decent album that we all know the Beach Boys can do. Smiley

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 10, 2011, 09:44:40 AM »

Al was suspended from the band when Recording started for SIP, yet his vocals are one of the few highlights of the album. Who says it is necessary for everyone to be all kissy, kissy to make music.

But we're talkin' Summer In Paradise here.  That's kind of like saying writing your will is one of the few highlights of dying of a terminal disease.  
Did you even read what I was getting at? The point was that they do not have to get along to sing well together. I only brought up SIP because Al was on the outs at the time, yet provided some very good vocals on some mediocre songs.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.