gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680558 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 02:00:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New studio album (Ocean Way sessions)  (Read 118939 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2011, 03:35:03 PM »

It always amuses me how much people crave "closure" with this band.  If you really need to have a Hollywood ending, go watch a Disney flick (or listen to Brian's forthcoming Disney album  Razz).

Considering they have been one of the most dysfunctional groups in the history of rock bands, I don't know why people would expect them to just "get along" and put out something worthwhile.  Two of their key members that could have elevated this reunion to something relevant are dead, and the leader of the group has been on auto-pilot for years.  Look at the music they've recorded as a group in the last 25 years; with the exception of "Kokomo" (*sigh*), none of it is memorable (well I suppose it's memorable in how bad some of it is).  These guys had their chance in the mid-90's to put out something decent with the Don Was sessions, and they blew that in favor of Stars & Stripes, Vol. 1.  With Brian Wilson not particularly interested, I can already picture how this album will go:

Mike Love will supply us with a number of songs that will be overcooked with lame Beach Boys references.  And he'll be sure to rhyme at least several words with "vibrations".  Al Jardine will treat us to even more songs about his fetish with California (maybe he'll even  cover T-Pac's "California Love"  LOL).  Bruce will grin like an idiot and maybe we'll finally be treated to that unnecessary cover of Proud Mary that Brian wants to unleash on us. 

Sorry gang; if the band were up to some remarkable new material I'd be all for it.  I just don't think that is even remotely realistic at this stage of the game.

Beach Boy fandom... the record's not even out and people are already hating it
Well, only couple people, and from the ones that I would expect it from.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2011, 04:27:10 PM »

To what extent does Brian even produce or arrange anymore? The newer records have nice production, in that they sound professional, but they don't have interesting production.

Ah, come on!  These guys made their artistic statement when they were in their 20s. Let them record one last album together. That's it.

But that's exactly what I want, that would be a good album, the boys just coming together "let's do one more for old times sake", something with the feelings of fraternity and friendship that's present in some of their very best music. But that's not what I feel we're getting, I feel like this project already has an air of obligation. The first session apparently "didn't go well", of course the sources haven't really explained, and Brian has been saying for the last six months, outright, that he doesn't really like to work with Mike.
The Beach Boys are the best when their honest, that's honestly all that we fans have ever wanted, to have the band make the music that they like, that they want to make, and hear them having fun doing it. That's all the artistic statement that they've ever had to make, that's the stuff of masterpieces, when the music is real. If they don't want to do something, then they shouldn't.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2011, 04:45:59 PM »

Al was suspended from the band when Recording started for SIP, yet his vocals are one of the few highlights of the album. Who says it is necessary for everyone to be all kissy, kissy to make music.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2011, 04:52:41 PM »

Oh I hope it's not as bad as SIP.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2011, 04:58:21 PM »

Oh I hope it's not as bad as SIP.
Are you saying his singing is bad or the album or both? Half-ass answers have little to no meaning to me.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2011, 05:00:49 PM »

I'm actually more hopeful that they can make a better album than they did back in the 80's and 90's which to be honest isn't saying much. LOL At this stage I think a reunion concert might be better for them.
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2011, 05:31:50 PM »

No, let Brian produce the thing with hep by Daria and Scott.

I'd rather hear one produced with hep from Dakota Rose and Jeff.  Or Dylan and Paul, for that matter...
 Smokin Cool Guy

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2011, 05:50:01 PM »

I also hope there aren't any guest spots.

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2011, 05:54:00 PM »

I also hope there aren't any guest spots.

*COUGH GIOMH *COUGH

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2011, 05:55:03 PM »

I'd love to be as optimistic about this as some, but I generally share Fishmonk's opinion here.  If the Boys are going to have one last hurrah, I'd rather it not be a "Beach Boys by numbers" type of affair.  They should do it because they want to, not solely for sake of closure or out of some misplaced sense of obligation to the fans.  They've given us more than enough already.

The best case scenario, as far as I see it, is Brian taking the lead like in the old days, Mike writing lyrics to his tracks (and avoiding all the awful Beach Boys/California/Surf cliches) and the other guys singing them.  That's it.  Maybe a few Carl/Denny tracks just to make them a part of it, as they should be, but the whole "everybody brings a few of their best songs" approach doesn't particularly appeal to me.  
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2011, 06:25:19 PM »

With Smile getting released and a chance at some redemption, this reunion album would be just like the greatest hits compilation Capitol put out right after Pet Sounds. This sh*t never ends apparently, whether it's a label decision or self-imposed.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2011, 06:39:31 PM »

I would much prefer, if they included Carl/Dennis tracks, that they recorded them completely, instead of assembling old man backing vocals around a scratchy 70s demo track. I can't think of any other band besides the Beatles that included long-dead members on their reunion album.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2011, 06:40:02 PM »

With Smile getting released and a chance at some redemption, this reunion album would be just like the greatest hits compilation Capitol put out right after Pet Sounds. This sh*t never ends apparently, whether it's a label decision or self-imposed.

Well, I think (I hope) the difference with this is, TSS is a great big archival release of epic proportions & high interest, which in turn will spark interest in some people (even if it's not a majority) in hearing something new from the Boys.  That, I think, is an opportunity too great to pass up, for Capitol or the Boys (meaning, that's how they see it, even if some folks here would rather they not bother - yours truly not included!).
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2011, 06:40:54 PM »

But the Beatles only ever had the four guys, and they were LOYAL to their fallen friend. 

monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2011, 07:03:10 PM »

Well, I think (I hope) the difference with this is, TSS is a great big archival release of epic proportions & high interest, which in turn will spark interest in some people (even if it's not a majority) in hearing something new from the Boys.  That, I think, is an opportunity too great to pass up, for Capitol or the Boys (meaning, that's how they see it, even if some folks here would rather they not bother - yours truly not included!).

You really think that the Smile sessions from 1966/67 are going to spark interest in some people in Brian, Mike, Al, and Bruce doing something in 2011/12? Really?

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2011, 07:04:44 PM »

maybe if they rerecorded the workshop part for the Do It Again rerecording.

oh man! you know what would be cool! if the BWPS version of Workshop was at the end of Do It Again 2011! that would be crazy!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 07:05:39 PM by Aegir » Logged

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2011, 07:34:47 PM »

You really think that the Smile sessions from 1966/67 are going to spark interest in some people in Brian, Mike, Al, and Bruce doing something in 2011/12? Really?

Frankly I do.  You need to look at this from a marketing perspective.  The Beach Boys are one of the most historic rock groups in the history of the industry.  Their appeal is really twofold.  For the people who lived through the sixties and enjoyed these records firsthand they are as important a group of that era as there is.  Their music represented an era in this country's history that is now a bygone era that is looked upon affectionately by those who lived through it.  The nostalgia factor kicks in big when it comes to The Beach Boys and what they represented.

For those of us who did not have the opportunity to live through the sixties first hand and have either been brought up on The Beach Boys via our parents or through our own exploration of the music of the sixties these records are also important artifacts of the era.  That is why no matter what The Beach Boys do today, tomorrow and forever on, nothing will ever diminish their importance as a historic rock group.

They key right now is the temperature of the water so to speak when it comes to how this group is perceived by the public.  There is "Joe Public" who encompasses both groups which I spoke of who are just fans of the records themselves and then the music fans who have come to realize in the past fifteen years or so that The Beach Boys are historically speaking one of the most important and influential rock groups of all time.  Mark Linett and company have done a fabulous job over the past decade or so in making the public aware of just how important Brian Wilson is as a composer with their archival releases.  From these archival releases have sprung books on Brian and the band, discussion boards like this one and so on and so forth.

It would also be remiss for one not to include Brian Wilson himself in this discussion as far as recapturing his legacy and presenting The Beach Boys music in a setting where it's not just sweating out to the oldies and instead artistic presentations of these songs which has not only drawn in fans but critics to appreciate these songs almost as if they were hearing them for the first time.

So if you look at what Mark Linett has done, you look at what Brian Wilson has done and you look at the legacy of The Beach Boys that still exists due to the high quality of product they issued in the sixties...combined with a tasteful and creative ad campaign by Capitol Records I believe there could be great interest from music fans in a new Beach Boys record in 2012.  

Will it be another "Pet Sounds"?  Probably not but I think it will be a success for the group just based upon the fact that there are still enough people out there (most of whom I've already spoke of) that have a deep affection for this group coupled with the renewed interest in the group in the past decade that a new Beach Boys record in 2012 would sell more than a few copies.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 07:36:24 PM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2011, 07:48:02 PM »

Could be bad, could be good. Brian is certainly in better shape in terms of lead vocals than he has been in awhile -- TLOS, the Gershwin record and the Disney record all feature fine work. Mike, Bruce and Al can all still hit the notes in the studio too. So I would expect it to sound good vocally.

Reports that Brian was working with Joe Thomas again (and Eddie Bayers being involved backs this up too) make me a bit concerned for the backing tracks. And as for the material -- lots of covers of re-recordings would seem pretty blah.

But who knows? Let's see.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2011, 07:55:44 PM »

Hoping Joe Thomas is only involved with the vocals because that was the only thing he did well on Imagination.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 08:02:05 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2011, 08:19:50 PM »

Yes.  Among some people.  Otherwise I wouldn't have said it.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2011, 08:22:33 PM »

Hoping Joe Thomas is only involved with the vocals because that was the only thing he did well on Imagination.

Drummer Eddie Bayers' involvement would seem to dash your hope. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2011, 08:26:00 PM »

Drummer Eddie Bayers' involvement would seem to dash your hope. 
Great, Imagination Vol. 2 featuring the Beach Boys....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »

So if you look at what Mark Linett has done, you look at what Brian Wilson has done and you look at the legacy of The Beach Boys that still exists due to the high quality of product they issued in the sixties...combined with a tasteful and creative ad campaign by Capitol Records I believe there could be great interest from music fans in a new Beach Boys record in 2012. 

Don't forget the happy in-store display piece! We're sure to sell a million copies, in January! Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2011, 08:57:50 PM »

To what extent does Brian even produce or arrange anymore? The newer records have nice production, in that they sound professional, but they don't have interesting production.

It must really suck being so negative at everything.  I'll bet you tell your wife the sex is going to suck before dinner's even over.  I mean why even try, you're getting old.  LOL

Some people just strike me as losers. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2011, 09:00:31 PM »

Hoping they use Soul Searchin for this album as Carl's proper Beach Boys swansong. I hope this album is going to be great... Smiley

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx