gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 05:05:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New studio album (Ocean Way sessions)  (Read 118898 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: October 31, 2011, 07:27:06 PM »

No No, it was his assistant.  It was a pr interview, looked like it was like one of a bunch he was doing in a row.  I believe it was for that lucky old sun.  Maybe the Gershwin album.  They're asking him questions, and Brian's nodding off and closing his eyes, his assistant says "Wait, excuse me, Brian! You're going to have to start from the beginning, and stop closing your eyes," etc. or something like that.  Brian kind of looked startled and then protested he was fine and they could continue from there, then they kep asking questions, etc.  Pretty shitty to see, actually.  It was about 10 minutes long I believe.  Somebody here will remember what I'm talking about. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 31, 2011, 07:52:27 PM »

Here it is.

http://www.livestream.com/aplive/video?clipId=pla_2e031817-b54b-46c2-97f9-ed7809e9cddd
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 07:57:43 PM by Ron » Logged
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 31, 2011, 08:09:33 PM »

wow  Sad that makes me wonder how much control some people have over him..I'm going to guess it's either the medicines he's on making him "tired" or he's not tired but he's blocking out the world..
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 31, 2011, 08:43:02 PM »

Thanks for finding it Ron...not sure how you finally located it!

That was tough to watch...Brian seemed very out of it...or sleepy?  Either way, his assistant was pretty harsh on him.  I believe that is Foskett in the room with Brian....he goes everywhere with him.

I did a meet and greet on the last tour and Jeff was much tougher on Brian than in this video (which is why I immediately assumed at first that it was him that was rude when you first brought this story up).  Jeff was dictating everything.  Brian signed some autographs and Jeff was very controlling:  "Brian, wait!  Hold on."  and then folded Brian's sleeves up.  At one point I wanted Brian to switch from a black pen to a silver pen to sign my "Surf's Up" album and Jeff came down on him with a very stern voice:  "Wait. Stop!"  Very much treating him like a child.  Spoke for him and spoke with great authority.

I'm not sure if Brian really needs this type of force though?  He's a harmless, soft spoken guy that isn't their to hurt anyone.  He doesn't need people around him being rude. 
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 31, 2011, 08:49:34 PM »

The person talking to Brian is, I believe, Jean Sievers, his manager. She's with him during most of his interviews.

This is what she is paid to do.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 31, 2011, 08:51:28 PM »

I'm not sure if Brian really needs this type of force though?  He's a harmless, soft spoken guy that isn't their to hurt anyone.  He doesn't need people around him being rude. 

He needs it to protect him from crazy people. No joke. If you've seen some of the people who collar him at meet-and-greets ...
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 31, 2011, 08:58:41 PM »

Yeah I don't hold any ill will towards Jean.  It's still shocking to watch, from the outside, though. 
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 31, 2011, 09:00:41 PM »

I did a meet and greet on the last tour and Jeff was much tougher on Brian than in this video (which is why I immediately assumed at first that it was him that was rude when you first brought this story up).  Jeff was dictating everything.  Brian signed some autographs and Jeff was very controlling:  "Brian, wait!  Hold on."  and then folded Brian's sleeves up.  At one point I wanted Brian to switch from a black pen to a silver pen to sign my "Surf's Up" album and Jeff came down on him with a very stern voice:  "Wait. Stop!"  Very much treating him like a child.  Spoke for him and spoke with great authority.

Lord almighty.

I don't get it. The first part of the interview wasn't that disastrous. Yeah, Brian looked like he was about to fall asleep at any minute, but his answers were well thought out, so what's the problem? I've seen far worse interviews with other people.

I mean I don't know the guy, I don't know all of his story, but it very much does sound like he's being treated like a child here. It's puppet-like and it's a little disturbing and upsetting. They're talking to each other as if he isn't in the room, and I like the bit about "making it look more like you're having a conversation."

Again, I don't know the guy, but on more than one occasion in recent years I've thought, "Why can't they just leave this guy alone a little more? Why can't they just let him do his thing a little more instead of propping him up left and right?" It's obvious that he still enjoys writing and performing, but damn. Protecting him from crazies in public is one thing, but this?

He sounds fairly annoyed when he says "Good." Sad

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 31, 2011, 09:11:01 PM »

^ couldn't have said it better myself.

Besides being tired (and honestly, who wouldn't be with all those interviews?) he seemed very alert. He shuts his eyes for a few seconds and the whole room starts to dictate his every move. I can understand if they had a contractual obligation to record a tv-viewable interview - his assistant has a job to do (make Brian presentable) - but the way they spoke around him - just creepy. Plain and simple.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 31, 2011, 09:20:43 PM »

Hardly "shocking" he just seems tired and bored.  I looked like this in every 7am class I ever took.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 31, 2011, 09:24:04 PM »

And the people he pays to help him sell the stuff he makes are helping him sell it.

I think it's also -- and this is where we go off-stage -- very hard to deal with Brian. He clearly wants to keep making music in some capacity, and he wants to promote it. He cared deeply about the Gershwin project. But he's also a pampered, lazy, mentally ill old man who changes his mind all the time.

So he's committed to do press, but he's falling asleep on camera. Wouldn't you be a little exasperated with the man?
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 31, 2011, 09:33:58 PM »

What it comes down to is sometimes things aren't always pleasant.  Like Wirestone said he's mentally ill, he's old, he's an entertainer (which brings the whole 'fake' world of showbusiness along with it), he's by all sources a highly creative eccentric individual; plus he's sleepy in the interview, he's on medication, etc.  So yeah in a perfect world they could have treated him a little different (I would have)... but who knows what was going on that day.  Brian might have cussed her out 5 minutes before the cameras started rolling or something, hell we don't know what's going on, we just think we do.  

Like I said though, to me, it's still shocking to watch.  

On one hand, she was being rude to Brian, but to be honest, Brian was being rude to the interviewer. 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 09:35:20 PM by Ron » Logged
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 31, 2011, 10:06:44 PM »

And the people he pays to help him sell the stuff he makes are helping him sell it.

I think it's also -- and this is where we go off-stage -- very hard to deal with Brian. He clearly wants to keep making music in some capacity, and he wants to promote it. He cared deeply about the Gershwin project. But he's also a pampered, lazy, mentally ill old man who changes his mind all the time.

So he's committed to do press, but he's falling asleep on camera. Wouldn't you be a little exasperated with the man?

You're raising some good points, Wirestone.  There is indeed an "other side" to this that we all don't see.  I also thought about this during my Foskett incident, coupled with this video Ron put up.  There must be a reason why they're so tough on him...or should I say strict.  

On one hand, she was being rude to Brian, but to be honest, Brian was being rude to the interviewer.  

It's still sort of hard for me to watch any interview with Brian...he can be rather short with people...and that definitely comes off as cold and rude.  I was recently watching the extra interviews on the BWPS DVD and the interviewer (David Leaf?) was sticking it to Brian with the questions, relentless.  Not dropping any points, constantly repeating, reiterating, just to get Brian to flush out a longer answer.  But Brian still stuck with short, quick answers.  Perhaps being "tough" on him is what gets through to him?  Even in this  AP video, you can kinda see Brian wake up and pep himself up a bit: "Ok let's go!  I'm good."

But I've sort of just  accepted that Brian can just be awkward.  Perhaps even more so when he's nervous.  He did a radio interview a few weeks ago and I was shocked to hear him sound, calm, coherent and interested in giving more than just a few words as answers.  Who knows...maybe it's the medication he's currently on that puts him on the rollercoaster we see him on?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 10:08:08 PM by Justin » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 31, 2011, 10:17:46 PM »

Tom Waits, in promoting his latest album, called PR "doing the dishes."

You know, in making an album you make the food (write the songs) and then feast on it (record and play them). The record documents that all. You've had your fun.

But then you have to go out and sell it. Tom makes doing the dishes look like fun.

Brian makes it look like -- well, he makes it look like doing the dishes.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 31, 2011, 10:20:49 PM »

But then you have to go out and sell it. Tom makes doing the dishes look like fun.

I rather enjoyed Tom's "Listening Party" video for his new album...hilarious.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #390 on: November 01, 2011, 05:04:20 AM »

Thanks for finding it Ron...not sure how you finally located it!

That was tough to watch...Brian seemed very out of it...or sleepy?  Either way, his assistant was pretty harsh on him.  I believe that is Foskett in the room with Brian....he goes everywhere with him.

I've seen the way Jeff treats Brian first hand too.

And why can't he do an interview with his eyes closed? He's Brian Wilson. Makes me angry to hear the lack of respect these people have. I'm just glad he got a bit irritable and tried to take control of the situation.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 01, 2011, 01:01:34 PM »

Just read this and thought it was relevant to our discussion...

It's True: Brian Wilson Will Be at Fingerprints Tomorrow!
The word "legend" applies only to a few people on this planet. One of those people is Brian Wilson. The man behind the Beach Boys is a bona fide musical genius and most certainly a legend in my book, which is why everyone reading this should stop what they are doing and go to Fingerprints in Long Beach right now because Wilson will be there Tuesday at 7 p.m. signing copies of the Smile Sessions box set.

Pretty awesome, right? Right.

However -- and it pains me to say this -- don't expect much from Wilson other than his signature on your record. I "met" Wilson once and have done two phone interviews with him and to say he is uncomfortable around people he doesn't know is like saying Pet Sounds is just "some record."

The time I "met" him went like this: I was backstage at a Brian Wilson/Paul Simon show at the Greek Theatre. There was a small room of about 20 people waiting for the post-gig meet and greet, which should have been titled the "Brian Wilson walks into a doorway, sees 20 people waiting for him, makes a face like he caught his parents having sex, then tries to escape before anyone notices but can't because the entire room starts clapping as he is quietly high-tailing it out of there."

I waited for everyone to take pictures and have Wilson sign things. I was one of the final four people in the room. The pressure was too much and his mental exhaustion was apparent. I decided that I was such a Brian Wilson fan that the only thing to do was to leave him alone. So I did.

On a side note, Paul McCartney walked four feet away from me on this same night, so within an hour I was within spitting distance of my two favorite bass-playing, song-writing singers from '60s pop groups.

About those two interviews...I could literally write 10,000 words on them. I had approximately 60 questions for him (which I knew was way too many) and assumed I'd get through maybe 10 or 15. Five minutes later, we've got through all my questions because all I was getting was one-word answers. At best, he'd respond with an actual sentence that went something like, "Because I wanted to." I prepared myself for the second interview and instead posed questions that forced to him to answer. Technically, this time went better in the same way as saying that having your pinkie finger chopped off is better than having both of your pinkie fingers chopped off.

That said, you should go. He's Brian friggin' Wilson and last I checked, social anxiety and all, that's still an opportunity you don't want to pass on. Plus, you get the chance to purchase the new Smile Sessions box set, which according to Amazon.com (where I get all my product information from), includes five CDs, two LPs, two seven-inch singles and a 60-page bound book detailing the lost-then-found Smile sessions. This is important because those who heard Smile claimed it was the best record ever, but all we ever really got from the aborted project (it's a long story, but basically Smile is credited as a major influence on Wilson's mental decline) was snippets of songs across Beach Boys records and the Good Vibrations: Thirty Years of the Beach Boys box set. There's also Wilson's 2004 solo rendition of Smile, which is pretty darn amazing, but (call me an elitist) I want, no need, to hear those Beach Boys vocals whenever I hear a Brian Wilson song.

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/heardmentality/2011/10/brian_wilson_at_fingerprints_o.php
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: November 01, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »

I'm going to the Fingerprints thing tonight and that kind of dovetails with how I feel about it.  I mean it's incredible, I couldn't be more excited just to be in the room with the guy.  If you'd told me 10 years ago that one day I'd have Brian freaking Wilson handing me a signed copy of Smile my head would have exploded.  But the thought that these events are just kind of the result of people cracking the whip behind his back is unsettling.  I mean if I get a chance to make eye contact and say "thank you" that's about the maximum I'm hoping for.  I don't want to be one of the people trying to have a forced "moment" with the guy and making his day more difficult.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 01, 2011, 01:44:44 PM »

I mean if I get a chance to make eye contact and say "thank you" that's about the maximum I'm hoping for.  I don't want to be one of the people trying to have a forced "moment" with the guy and making his day more difficult.

Yer a good kid.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx