-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:06:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  MP3 players versus iPod
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: MP3 players versus iPod  (Read 7866 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2011, 09:29:04 PM »

Could anybody here explain to me, in fairly simple terms, what the differences are between iPod's and MP3 players? Keep in mind that my technical know-how is pretty limited.  Grin I was just watching news reports about Steve Jobs and I realized that I know very little about most of the inventions that he was responsible for.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 09:44:58 PM »

They're the same thing. An iPod is an MP3 player with a specific interface and physical design by Apple. It was considered to have the most pleasing overall experience in terms of browsing songs, etc. The iPod also interfaced with the iTunes computer program, which became the default online music store for a lot of folks, so it became part of a broader online music experience.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 09:47:30 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 09:56:03 PM »

Is there anything similar in style to an mp3 player that would play strictly lossless files(FLAC, etc)?

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 10:01:41 PM »

iPods can play lossless -- WAV, AIFF, and Apple Lossless. I don't think ANYTHING is FLAC-compatible. Sad

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 10:04:07 PM »

I don't think ANYTHING is FLAC-compatible. Sad
That really sucks! Somebody needs to fix that.  Grin

Keri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 02:46:54 AM »

I have a 80GB ipod and used to have a 6GB zen creative mp3 player.

The ipod is much bigger and I liked that, it has a better user interface and has much better shuffle options so I much prefer it.

But apple is in the business of selling music so the ipod can't be used as a back up. You can't easily get your music off your ipod. I had a friend who had a small computer and a large ipod and so kept more music on his ipod that he did on his computer , when the ipods drive failed he lost a lot of music & was not happy. Funnily enough when I got the Zen i had a big old MAC and the version of itunes it supported wasn't compatible with a current ipod. So although I had a Mac i had to get a non Mac mp3 player to use with it. Seems to me Mac/Apple does not support their old systems and you are just expected to constantly upgrade. I could plug my old Zen into pretty much any computer without special software and transfer files on and off it that could be handy.
Paulos
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 06:53:54 PM »

I have had a 30GB Creative Zen Vision: M MP3 player for over 4 years now and love it, it has never once gone wrong and as the previous poster mentioned, I can plug it into any computer and transfer files. I hate ipods with a passion, mostly because a lot of people seem to think that any mp3 player must be an ipod.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 08:13:02 PM »

Actually, Apple has just changed this. Any music that you buy though iTunes can be redownloaded on any Apple device you own at any time.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 10:30:39 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Cowon-iAUDIO-Mp3-Player-Black/dp/B002VJJKV8

The Cowon Company Rules...

Sound Quality above all...

When Novmber 1st comes around I will be listening to SMiLE! for the 1st time in 9 months on my Cowon...1st time through normal, second time through 3D... 3rd time through on Cloud 9ine. Then Vinyl... Oh how awesome it will be. I think Lost Art also went the year going Smile-less too....
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 12:27:54 AM »

When Novmber 1st comes around I will be listening to SMiLE! for the 1st time in 9 months on my Cowon...1st time through normal, second time through 3D... 3rd time through on Cloud 9ine. Then Vinyl... Oh how awesome it will be. I think Lost Art also went the year going Smile-less too....
Me too. Then I plan to do the same with the six cd box set of Pink Floyd''s Dark Side Of The Moon. Then the same with the four cd Winterland Jimi Hendrix box set. After that, I might never listen to music ever again.  Grin

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 06:53:10 AM »

Actually, Apple has just changed this. Any music that you buy though iTunes can be redownloaded on any Apple device you own at any time.

In theory, yes - but it's 'forgotten' I've bought a lot of stuff.  Angry

I am in theory a massive iPod fan (No other interfaces, like Zens or Sony Players, come close to ease or clarity of use), but the battery crapped out after a paltry three years and to replace it would wipe everything. Which, seeing as I lost all my old files a while ago, is not cool. I'd be happy using it as some tiny stereo, but it won't even connect to the computer. Stupid thing

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 09:40:24 AM »

I have a 40G iriver with Rockbox software on it. It makes ipods sound like crap by comparison. On the minus side as it's about 5 years old and it's like carrying a brick around in your pocket.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 08:45:04 PM »

Been using a 4gb Creative Zen since `07. Not a whole lot of storage space on it, but its still easier than dealing with a discman or walkman. It works with not only WMP but also Real Player and Winamp.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 04:11:27 AM »

I once got mildly annoyed with a teacher for correcting me, basically telling me/the class that an iPod was different from an MP3 player. This, in a college television course, where technology is kept up with a fair amount. I wasn't all like "O f*** YOU" or anything, I just stewed in my annoyance quietly and got over it about 20 seconds later.

That's my story. I use my mom's old phone as an MP3 player with an 8 gig card. I'm a poor folk, y'understand. I've also wasted a collective few days of my life re-arranging the content of said card as to ensure everything I *really* wanted was on it. Pain in the ass imo. I've become more modest with my bitrates over time, but it hasn't helped much.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 01:00:42 PM »

I have a slightly off topic reply here but I was thinking this was the best thread to ask it!

I really want some new head (not in-ear) phones, especially with SSessions coming out and I was wondering what headphones people here use to listen to the Beach Boys. I had some Bose Quiet Comforts a few years ago but they broke and I don't want to spend over £100 on a pair again!

I want headphones that really bring out the best in the Beach Boys music. Any ideas? If they sound good with this music, they will certainly be the best!

Thanks!
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2011, 02:34:25 PM »

You don't have to pay a lot for really good quality sound. I have a pair of Sony noise-cancelling headphones I got for probably about $50 that sound okay except they're highly susceptible to cell phone interference; I have a pair of Bose headphones that retail for about $179 (I won 'em on a Facebook contest); but the best-sounding headphones I ever heard were the Sony MDR V series -- I've owned 175, 225, etc., and they retail for about $25 (and you can get 'em for cheaper if you look in the right place). The only problems: 1) since they're "studio monitors," the cord is VERY long, which can be kind of awkward; and 2) the plastic is very fragile. But the sound is phenomenal -- you just have to make sure your source is good.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2011, 08:27:28 PM »

I`ve broken the plastic on 2 pairs of MDRs...still use them, though...I`ll tire my arm out holding the broken cup (not quite a real "cup") on my ear instead of just wearing a $5 set of crappy eapbuds. They may be as good as a $300 pair of pro "cups", but they more than surpass expectations for something you can pick up at the local Wally World.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2011, 09:14:03 PM »

I use Koss headphones, and I love them. I reccomend them to anybody wanting to get a good set of headphones. With the right kind of music, they have a huge set of balls! Sorry for the somewhat graphic description, but it's true!  LOL I've been listening to Guns N Roses a lot lately with the headphones set to the loudest it'll go. You can actually "feel" the music in your chest, as well as hear it. I'm 26 now, and I figure I'll be deaf by about 30.  Grin

CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2011, 09:16:02 AM »

Thanks for the advice guys, I am going to take a look at the amazon reviews and prices and hopefully get myself some good 'phones for Smile!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2011, 03:09:57 PM »

I've used Sony MDR 150s for... oh, close on ten years now. Much better than ear buds, and they also double as ear muffs in the winter.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2011, 05:46:28 PM »

I bought a pair of Sony MDR-V6s about a year ago. They are by far the best headphones I've ever owned and I plan on listening to The Smile Sessions with them for endless hours.

The bass levels are perfect, and the sound is also clear and crisp.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V6-Monitor-Headphones-Voice/dp/B00001WRSJ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1318812173&sr=8-2

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2011, 11:57:50 PM »

Has anybody here used Koss headphones? I'm just curios how they compare to others.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2011, 12:28:14 AM »

*cough*

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2011, 11:32:48 PM »

I don't think ANYTHING is FLAC-compatible. Sad
That really sucks! Somebody needs to fix that.  Grin
Hey there - Look for Sansa media players, they do flac - as well as Cowon, that was mentioned above.

There are flac apps for iphone, touch and the apple tablet thingo if you use them (iphone fidelity is rather sh*t, tho)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 12:15:41 AM by Alholio71 » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2011, 11:13:41 PM »

So, I just got a Cowon i9 mp3 player for Christmas, and I have no idea how it works. Could anybody possibly send me a pm walking me through how to install it and how to put music on it? Windows Media doesn't accept the FLAC files I want to load onto the player.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: