-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:49:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Be careful what you say.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Be careful what you say.  (Read 32638 times)
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2011, 07:47:45 PM »

Jeff was totally awesome to me the one time I spoke with him for longer than a few minutes. It is obvious he cares about Brian and the boys, but I don't have to like his voice or his opinions about music (and I don't). Am I a bad person?

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2011, 07:54:15 PM »

I really like Jeff Foskett..I also dig his CD's..I think he is good for Brian and vice versa..I think a lot of us would love to have his job..I've never met the man but he seems like someone I could approach and he would be at least polite. I don't understand the bad vibes directed at him Huh Huh

Jealousy.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2011, 07:57:15 PM »

when did jeff ever say that he didn't like bbloveyou anyway
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2011, 08:06:32 PM »

I can't give you a date or time, but I think I've actually seen him say that publicly, on tape, somewhere.  I may be wrong. 

I love "Love You" but frankly I don't really care if Jeff likes it or not, it's irrelevant.  Jeff's a great guy, great singer, and a good friend to Brian. 
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2011, 08:09:20 PM »

Jealousy.

Or not.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2011, 08:24:47 PM »

Jeff is a good guy and a huge part of my love of the Boys. I'm sure there are alot of BW songs I heard with Jeff singing on them before I heard the original. Love that dude. But he's also done some things I can criticize.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2011, 08:25:57 PM »

when did jeff ever say that he didn't like bbloveyou anyway

Its definitely been documented. I don't blame him, I fall in and out of love with that album. Its one of the beauties of Love You.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2011, 09:08:45 PM »

Part of me wants to say that people really need to grow a pair and know that they WILL BE CRITICIZED BY SOMEBODY, and if you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen, but I won't say that. It's a shame that there appears to be the threat of shutting down someone else's web site for basically exercising freedom of speech.

I have no idea if there was anybody in particular the OP was referring to, but the point is...come on, now. Constructive criticisms? Take them in and try to understand where they're coming from. Unreasonable criticisms? Just a fact of life. Stupidity? You can't avoid it. (Case in point: politics, the "music industry," and standardized testing.)

I'm sure that if anybody said anything that wasn't hippy-happy, it wasn't meant to be personal...and even if it was, come on, now...my mother always told me - sticks and stones. And if you're threatened, DEFEND yourself.

And the ones who are the most critical tend to be the fans who have the most dedication invested into what they love.

(BTW, if certain people really are reading these messages, can they please help us out and identify the woman in the red top dribbling the basketball in the GV promo?  Smiley  )
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 09:23:02 PM by 37!ws » Logged

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2011, 09:12:15 PM »

I'm not quite sure how I feel about this. I would obviously hate to cause any personal hurt feelings to Brian or anybody involved. But on the other hand, it's slightly worrysome to learn that our every move is being monitored. I can understand something like the secret service getting upset if somebody on a messageboard posts "I'm going to kill Obama", but the wife or bandmate of a musician getting their feelings hurt? Isn't that going a bit to far? I know I've probably gone to extremes with this post, but it was to try to make my point.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2011, 10:39:17 PM »

Please direct all cruel, bitchy, sarcastic, vicious, mean-spirited or rude comments to the members of the forum who are not public figures.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2011, 11:10:58 PM »

It really dosent matter..!!   the insiders will cream  you at every possible post.. just spell somebody"s name wrong.. You will not only get reamed your question wont get answered.....EGO..... SO did Murry { KNOW he had a bad heart} i wait with batted breath..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..If it wasnt for BB i would never learned how to play guitar or bass or drums + percussion instruments..mandolin or basic banjo.. or vocals for that matter either....!!.. my inspiration for EVERYTHING musical..  IS THE BB..Period..!!!.. I come here and im 59 years old + i live in BB territory..And i feel like an outsider.... Probably i dont  like listening to 80 minutes of take after take of H+V.... Im burned out...I think it would be easier to sit + talk about BB/BW with another person than to post here..Shut down vol.2 used to be a good board.. Brought the arguing over here..!!...JEEZ.. Every post here is a opinion.. NOT..in stone.. We are all looking to connect with other BB fans.. every one has a unique perspective.,.weather they can spell or not .. or have great PC skills.. I do not....SORRY..!!!!!!!!!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2011, 11:44:19 PM »

It really dosent matter..!!   the insiders will cream  you at every possible post.. just spell somebody"s name wrong.. You will not only get reamed your question wont get answered.....EGO..... SO did Murry { KNOW he had a bad heart} i wait with batted breath..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..If it wasnt for BB i would never learned how to play guitar or bass or drums + percussion instruments..mandolin or basic banjo.. or vocals for that matter either....!!.. my inspiration for EVERYTHING musical..  IS THE BB..Period..!!!.. I come here and im 59 years old + i live in BB territory..And i feel like an outsider.... Probably i dont  like listening to 80 minutes of take after take of H+V.... Im burned out...I think it would be easier to sit + talk about BB/BW with another person than to post here..Shut down vol.2 used to be a good board.. Brought the arguing over here..!!...JEEZ.. Every post here is a opinion.. NOT..in stone.. We are all looking to connect with other BB fans.. every one has a unique perspective.,.weather they can spell or not .. or have great PC skills.. I do not....SORRY..!!!!!!!!!!

Doesn't all this ranting and raving belong on the "Murray Wilson/Brian Wilson Question" thread?   Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2011, 12:32:29 AM »

That's the joy of MBs, in this sense they're a level playing field. 

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2011, 01:01:00 AM »

Gone for a day and I miss out on the contreversy(sp?)!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2011, 01:11:52 AM »

This thread reminds me of that Morrissey fansite owner who was banned from Morrissey shows because his site had discussion on how Morrissey's backing band was inept.  LOL

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2011, 01:18:51 AM »

But honestly, without Marr, Joyce, and Rourke the Moz is just some mopey English man-diva with a bad haircut and huge ego. (Preparing to flinch as Moz/Smiths fans attack me!)

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2011, 02:14:15 AM »

I have a hard time criticizing the work that the BB camp has put out over the past 15 years.  Think of all of the great things they have shared with us, warts and all.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2011, 02:47:49 AM »

Loose Lips Sink Ships.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2011, 02:49:28 AM »

Loose Lips Sink Ships.

TJHAT DOESNT EVEN APPLY JHERE DONIAL

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2011, 04:13:14 AM »

If I may mention a few examples. And I suspect them meant to be funny, whether intentional or unintentional, or at least not intentionally hurting. We had the recent "Brian is dead   (not really)" topic, which can cause a few mild heart attacks to those close to him (and fans as well btw). And calling someone who's working his butt off to give us the best possible Smile Sessions Box possible a drunkard, just because he might give a SMiLE-track a treatment we don't like to see happen, isn't too subtle either.

Again, I'm sure there wasn't an intention to hurt someone's feelings, but the effect can be the same. And I think that is what AGD meant to say. Thinks about what you want to say, and how someone else could interprete it, before you post it.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2011, 05:20:31 AM »

Does anyone know the particular perpetration that prompted this effective admonishment?

At the mo' I feel like I'm in a room with my classmates and teacher's just stuck his head round the door, told us "Don't do it again, you know what I mean" then departed, leaving us going "huh?" and speculating about who's done what to whom with what and where...   Undecided

“We live in divisive times.”
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2011, 05:33:51 AM »

I just think some people think because they hide behind a computer that they can say whatever they want without regard to who they may be hurting. Invisible courage. I've said a couple things to members that I regret later, but for the most part I try to type stuff that if sitting in the same room, I'd say to them face to face.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2011, 05:42:28 AM »

If I may mention a few examples. And I suspect them meant to be funny, whether intentional or unintentional, or at least not intentionally hurting. We had the recent "Brian is dead   (not really)" topic, which can cause a few mild heart attacks to those close to him (and fans as well btw). And calling someone who's working his butt off to give us the best possible Smile Sessions Box possible a drunkard, just because he might give a SMiLE-track a treatment we don't like to see happen, isn't too subtle either.

Again, I'm sure there wasn't an intention to hurt someone's feelings, but the effect can be the same. And I think that is what AGD meant to say. Thinks about what you want to say, and how someone else could interprete it, before you post it.

Excellent statement. The examples given make me cringe. This board allows for a lot of freedom, and many naughty jokes. The boundaries are pretty wide, loose. Yet still there are a few posters who transgress, sometimes habitually. We have liberal moderators, thankfully so.

Why the transgressions? I guess there's a gray area between being a normal poster and being a troll. Ovrstepping the lines is most often a cry for attention, IMHO. But I seen abolutely no merit, or therapeutic value if you will, in insulting, for instance, band members, or others doing their best to bring us what we desire so much. It's very unbecoming.

It may be controversial, but: one option is that mods intervene in stricter and harsher ways. The other is that we ourselves correct each other in clear terms.

AGD is right. And Smile-Holland is also right. Which cannot be said of some members here.

Not everything that can be said, must be said. Try to remember that. Freedom of speech has its limits, and if these aren't respected, that freedom will soon be gone altogether.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2011, 06:41:37 AM »

If criticism is about the actual work, there should be no problem, but personal attacks and insults are a completely different matter. I can't blame them a bit for getting pissed.

I think it is not Jeff Foskett AGD was referring to but the incident that SMiLE-Holland mentioned where somebody insinuated that someone who deserves a big deal of respect from us was called a drunkard. And AGD is right. If someone insinuated I was a drunkard, I'd get pissed too.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2011, 06:44:54 AM »

If someone insinuated I was a drunkard, I'd get pissed too.

LOL  LOL  LOL  I'm sure I know what you meant!  (Suspect it's a Brit thing!)

“We live in divisive times.”
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: