-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 06:44:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Be careful what you say.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Be careful what you say.  (Read 33090 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2011, 07:29:19 AM »

Either that, or do us all a favour and come clean as to what inspired this thread in the first place.

Read my first post.

In the course of a conversation on a different topic entirely with someone whose name you'd know (and no, I can't say who), I was made entirely aware that some recent posts on Smiley Smile had caused certain people disquiet and concern.

Well the first sentence seems to be falling over itself in an effort to be cryptic, vague and not give anything away. It could be criticism of Linett, Foskett, Melinda, Ghost's crazy posts, the Hitler/Bruce Johnston debacle. I just think this thread inadvertently promotes an uneasy culture of censorship and repression of free speech. My god I have been about 300 times more positive about recent Brian Wilson releases on this board than you have AGD, but if I do have a problem with a new BB product I want to feel I can come on here and criticize it without fear of recrimination. Otherwise does this place not just gradually morph into the Blueboard?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2011, 07:31:00 AM »

I think it's very important that we respect that everyone on here, or involved in the Beach Boys world - past or present - has feelings and although we may have our opinions of them, we should be careful with how we put those opinions across. There is only one reason we are all on here, because we love the Beach Boys and their music. We should respect everyone who shaped their history and music and be glad we are given the opportunity to talk about it with like-minded people. Now, we all know the best way to calm down after a discussion like this - listen to a BB album! Smiley

Or have sex.
Be careful what you say.  police
Like I stated in another thread to another poster; I only know what you write, not always what you mean. You may not have meant it, but it reads like you did. If you didn't mean then flat out apologize, without the "buts" or justifications.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2011, 07:41:41 AM »

I think it's very important that we respect that everyone on here, or involved in the Beach Boys world - past or present - has feelings and although we may have our opinions of them, we should be careful with how we put those opinions across. There is only one reason we are all on here, because we love the Beach Boys and their music. We should respect everyone who shaped their history and music and be glad we are given the opportunity to talk about it with like-minded people. Now, we all know the best way to calm down after a discussion like this - listen to a BB album! Smiley

Or have sex.
Be careful what you say.  police
Like I stated in another thread to another poster; I only know what you write, not always what you mean. You may not have meant it, but it reads like you did. If you didn't mean then flat out apologize, without the "buts" or justifications.

Well if it reads like I did mean it and mine is the post that caused offense then I agree with you. However I am arguing that it does not read that way, imo.

Edit: Also, more fool me for getting involved. Mine was not the post that inspired this thread in the first place so I don't know why I'm still having to defend myself.

I don't think this thread is helpful. If you search for the word drunkard you'll see where the alleged misdemeanor occurred. AGD picked the poster up on it at the time, which was the appropriate way to deal with it. Starting a cryptic, misleading thread such as this serves little purpose as far as I can tell, other than causing confusion and creating a culutre of censorship. And anyway, surely if it is such a major issue, it is the Mods' job to start these type of threads?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 08:07:40 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2011, 08:09:17 AM »

Instead of worrying about free speech, use the free speech you have to get to the point of the matter and not call people names or defame their likeness, etc.. As somebody stated earlier, free speech doesn't include slander or libel. Your points that you made about the edits could have been made successfully without bringing up ML's state of being. What's being discussed here certainly isn't just directed at you. I'm only using your post as a most recent example.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2011, 08:20:45 AM »

Starting a cryptic, misleading thread such as this serves little purpose as far as I can tell, other than causing confusion and creating a culutre of censorship.

OK, we'll play it your way - next time someone tips me the wink that concerned parties aren't happy with some of the things being posted here, I'll ignore it. Ignorance is, of course, bliss.

As for creating confusion... which part of "some recent posts here have caused certain people disquiet and concern, so think before posting" is so hard to understand ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2011, 08:38:09 AM »

As for creating confusion... which part of "some recent posts here have caused certain people disquiet and concern, so think before posting" is so hard to understand ?

What's hard to understand is which post has caused who confusion? There are so many potential candidates it's impossible to tell. It seems we've finally got to the bottom of it, that is somebody (not me) referring to Mr. Linett as a potential drunkard for accidentally inserting ghost vocals into the Cabinessence mix. So it's out now anyway, but in the process I got involved due to the coincidence of me also using the word drunk. I find it interesting that you didn't at that point clarify that mine wasn't the offending post but just muddied the waters a bit more as to whether it was or wasn't me, the upshot of which is most people probably do think I'm to blame.

My point is, in light of the inevitability of the truth coming out, would it not have made more sense and avoided more confusion to have been more up front and less vague from the start?

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2011, 08:41:40 AM »

Maybe the warning was directed at all of us, whether for past posts or for future posts.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 09, 2011, 08:48:26 AM »

With all respect  AGD, you're one of the most outspoken and openly critical here and spent a lot of time sounding off about how it would be tragic if any recordings outside of the official Smile Sessions were included in this box. A point you seem to have conveniently forgotten since it's become clear that pre and post Smile Session material will be included. Do you not imagine for one second that those cherished insiders of yours may also regard your achingly high standards of historical accuracy as irritating as my nitpicking? Please don't take the moral high ground with me over my choice to make certain criticisms. Certainly not when you fail to understand the nature of the post in question. In honesty I find it somewhat hypocritical that you started this thread in the first place.

Right now, I can't respond to that observation except to say most of my sources are also friends: do the math. As for the inclusion of non-Smile material, yes, I was initially heavily against it, but the vast majority of it is contained in CD1, which is for Joe Q. Public and not the likes of us, so I can live with that. Outside of CD 1, there's "Three Blind Mice", as an example of Brian's early adventures in orchestration (I assume) and "Cool, Cool Water", which while not of Smile was certainly heavily informed by it.

I just finished reading the entire 279 page box set thread, so I feel comfortable making my first post here... although intimidated to ask Mr. Doe a question, but here it goes:

AGD seems to have indicated that there was definitely post-SMiLE material on Disc 1. To me, that implies that they either used Surf's Up (album)-era vocals on the "best attempt" disc, or possibly the WH Surf's Up to complete the song. Also/Or, might this apply to Cabin Essence?

I don't believe any of  this had been previously confirmed, but what do I know? I'm just a lurking noob. Thank you for  putting up with me.

Also, more on topic, I will endeavor to offend only my fellow posters. No celebrities! But in all seriousness, after being scorned by my wife, my friends, and my family over my growing obsession with the Wilson Bros., it was so special to find a community of REAL fanatics. You taught me that I'm not alone, answered any little question I had without even having to ask, and made me laugh out loud waaaaay more often than is probably healthy. The hacker attack nearly drove me crazy. Don't jeopardize the future of this board
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2011, 08:49:08 AM »

Maybe the warning was directed at all of us, whether for past posts or for future posts.

Maybe, maybe not. It sounds like AGD has been prompted to start the topic by the concerned party contacting him. If the motivation of the thread was to warn against a larger problem, then I think the mods should be involved and some rules about what is and isn't acceptable should be drafted. I don't particularlry like Foskett's falsetto. Is it ok for me to post this? I'm not sure now because he may be the guy that reads the board that AGD is referring to in his initial post and he may have been hurt by recent similar posts. What it comes down to is what is and isn't acceptable criticism and maybe this should be established before we enter into a period where, whether The Smile Session compliers like it or not, criticisms will be rife.

Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: October 09, 2011, 08:59:41 AM »

To be fair I believe the statement made by Buddhahat was taken out of context - I can't see where the malice is in it? I don't think he ever set out to offend Mark...

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: October 09, 2011, 09:12:30 AM »

I just finished reading the entire 279 page box set thread, so I feel comfortable making my first post here... although intimidated to ask Mr. Doe a question, but here it goes:

AGD seems to have indicated that there was definitely post-SMiLE material on Disc 1. To me, that implies that they either used Surf's Up (album)-era vocals on the "best attempt" disc, or possibly the WH Surf's Up to complete the song. Also/Or, might this apply to Cabin Essence?

Welcome.  As for post-Smile recordings being used on CD1, well, we know that the 'new' Surf's Up" dates from the Wild Honey sessions, and that other tracks on the "best-we-can-do" album utilise either fly-ins or, as in "CE", have vocals recorded a few years later. The extent will become clear in roughly three weeks.  Grin

As for discs 2 to 5, I've heard nothing to make me think that they are anything other than the original session tapes.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 09:13:24 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Nicko1234
« Reply #86 on: October 09, 2011, 09:18:25 AM »

Excuse me for being paranoid but does the above refer to the following posting of mine? -

Is it really possible that Linett unintentionally clipped the start of the la la la part? I'm an absolute novice, and use audacity to do Smile edits. It's pretty easy to see where a section begins and ends from the waveforms, right? Surely it would be a colossal gaff for Linett to accidentally chop the start of a section out? He'd have to be editing blindfolded, or drunk or both.

Well, were my name Mark Linett and, after having put in months of research and stressful studio toil, I read that on a BB MB, posted by a self-confessed audio tyro, I wouldn't just be pissed, I'd come round and rip your lungs out with my bare hands. Not everyone has the same SOH. Not everyone can get away with the same stuff.

My point was, and is, that the things we post here are read by the people we're talking about, or representatives thereof. Consider that before hitting the 'post' button.

In that case it would be you who had the problem and not the original poster. There is nothing that anybody could sensibly take offence about in that post.

Anybody who works in the music industry or any other industry where they are in the public spotlight at all has to put up with things that are a million times worse everyday. If they are over-sensitive then they probably shouldn't be looking at message boards they know may contain criticism of them.
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 09, 2011, 09:25:25 AM »

"Yeah, I'm mean. The world is mean. Get used to it."

Perhaps the idea of civility towards all--whether they be celebrities or mere civilians--should be the new norm. (For here, and hell, for everywhere.)

Why this whole thread is in General Discussions and not the Sandbox is beyond me.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 09, 2011, 09:27:32 AM »

I like that the Smile box includes tracks that both pre- and post-date the actual Smile sessions themselves because I think it shows that Brian was capable of making such exciting, challenging music at almost any time and not just in a particular period of his life. I hope y'all get what I mean!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: October 09, 2011, 09:38:03 AM »

Loud and clear.  Smiley

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 09, 2011, 09:51:50 AM »

@ buddhahat : in his first post on this topic AGD made a general remark, considering many posts that could come across to others as a shock or insult - although often unintentionally - that were made lately. I was the one that happened to mention those 2 examples. I could have picked others as well. And seeing the effect of mentioning these, now I think I shouldn't have picked one at all, as it wasn't my intention to personally put someone in the spotlights.

No need to defend yourself for that, and no need for others keep getting back on it either.

And - yes - this should go to the Sandbox

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 09, 2011, 10:00:35 AM »

Well, were my name Mark Linett and, after having put in months of research and stressful studio toil, I read that on a BB MB, posted by a self-confessed audio tyro, I wouldn't just be pissed, I'd come round and rip your lungs out with my bare hands. Not everyone has the same SOH. Not everyone can get away with the same stuff.

My point was, and is, that the things we post here are read by the people we're talking about, or representatives thereof. Consider that before hitting the 'post' button.

Ehm, not too subtle either, AGD. I assume buddhahat isn't an BRI employee, but - quoting your opening post on this topic -:

So, one more time - before you post something concerning a specific individual that you might think is amusing, look at it from their viewpoint, especially if they also read this board. They might not consider it so funny.

Not trying to be picky here, but I can imagine him not finding this too funny either.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 09, 2011, 10:02:35 AM »

@ buddhahat : in his first post on this topic AGD made a general remark, considering many posts that could come across to others as a shock or insult - although often unintentionally - that were made lately. I was the one that happened to mention those 2 examples. I could have picked others as well. And seeing the effect of mentioning these, now I think I shouldn't have picked one at all, as it wasn't my intention to personally put someone in the spotlights.

No need to defend yourself for that, and no need for others keep getting back on it either.

Thanks for clarifying, Smile Holland.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 09, 2011, 10:05:25 AM »

Yeah!    Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 09, 2011, 06:32:17 PM »

this MB (and every other major BB forum) are monitored on a daily basis by interested parties - BriMel, BRI and several individuals whose name you can easily guess.

Recently we were without SS for a week, and it wasn't a nice experience, was it ? Consider being SS-less for a lot longer.

Are you implying that these interested parties have the power to bring this boards ultimate demise? Please elaborate, I'd love to hear about it.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 07:03:17 PM by Jonas » Logged

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: October 09, 2011, 08:51:56 PM »

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: October 09, 2011, 10:27:39 PM »

Ehm, not too subtle either, AGD. I assume buddhahat isn't an BRI employee, but - quoting your opening post on this topic -:

So, one more time - before you post something concerning a specific individual that you might think is amusing, look at it from their viewpoint, especially if they also read this board. They might not consider it so funny.

Not trying to be picky here, but I can imagine him not finding this too funny either.

Answering like with like, is all.  Smiley

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: October 12, 2011, 01:38:16 PM »

Okay, anybody else find it weird, borderline funny, that there was a link just posted on Brian's Facebook account to a Darian interview done by "Aquarium Drunkard"Huh

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: October 13, 2011, 12:28:36 AM »

I think it's utterly disgusting - very few fish have drink problems, it's a vile slur on all aquatic creatures. Don't people even think about these things ?  Well, really...

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 14, 2011, 04:21:18 AM »

Rivers Cuomo once called me out on something I said on a Weezer board, but not on said Weezer board. I apologized several times and almost cried. Then he met me a few months later and greeted me with "RUNNERS!!" and all was well.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: