gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:00:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What will happen to BWPS's reputation after 1st November  (Read 14596 times)
Reverend Rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 28, 2011, 07:05:37 PM »

I've enjoyed reading this discussion (I wish I'd been back on board when it was current). 

My two cents worth (or less).  I come at this question from the perspective of a musician and songwriter.  For me, it was a very emotional thing to read of Brian and Van Dyke coming back together after so many years and actually finishing this great masterpiece they'd begun creating in 1966.  Hearing these tracks I'd heard and learned every nuance of on the bootlegs finally with lyrics and finishing touches such as string and vocal arrangements was truly one of the most thrilling events of my life.  I have fallen in love with BWPS again and again since 2004, and it's happened all over again to me with the release of The SMiLE Sessions (which I've only gotten to hear in it's 2CD form so far--but Christmastime's a-comin'...). 

I think that ten or twenty years down the road, it will be a settled fact that the completion of SMiLE in 2004 marked a milestone in pop music unprecedented, and never to be duplicated.  It will also be a settled fact that BWPS made the release of the SMiLE Sessions not only possible, but inevitable.  And together, the two releases will stand alone as the most amazing musical resurrection story in the entire history of popular music--or even of all music, regardless of genre or style.
Keri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 29, 2011, 12:53:42 AM »

I think that ten or twenty years down the road, it will be a settled fact that the completion of SMiLE in 2004 marked a milestone in pop music unprecedented, and never to be duplicated.  It will also be a settled fact that BWPS made the release of the SMiLE Sessions not only possible, but inevitable.  And together, the two releases will stand alone as the most amazing musical resurrection story in the entire history of popular music--or even of all music, regardless of genre or style.

Great post, I absolutely adore SMiLE 2004, I did cry when I first heard that, it was made with such care and all that great music was finally finished and given a great form. For me as a fan this was a massively important event and I think for Brian & Van Dyke it was too. I also agree that it put Brian in the space to release the original recordings. The two versions serve different purposes and various fans will favour one or the other and some will get as much out of both. But having them both in the public domain is such a relief and it means they can finally be judged for what they are, great music, not just for their legend.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx