gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680847 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 03:12:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The "Leila Revelation"  (Read 66650 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #300 on: October 17, 2011, 08:23:59 AM »

I've heard all this stuff too... and the box is just amazing. In some respects, I've not heard it all before, because the difference between the original multitracks and a 4th generation cassette dub is significant. "Cornucopia", for example.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 17, 2011, 08:25:18 AM »

I don't feel disappointed by the lack of holy grails. After Adamghost's post a few months back it seemed clear that the amazing finds were limited to one or two things. The Wild Honey SU find is mind blowing enough for me, and I'm also keen to hear Heroes Part 2. Have they constructed it via BW's vintage notes, or is it just made up based on what sounds good together? Well, it's so close in structure to Heroes Sections that I'm inclined to think it's a legitimate stab at what Brian intended, otherwise, why bother have a part 2 mix, and a separate Heroes Sections track?

There are some oddities about the structure according to Leila's post - Tag to Part 1 is now in part 2, and not even functioning as a tag! Also, surely Western Theme was Part 1 material? Unless Brian's original plan for Part 2 was just an odds and sods mix of stuff that didn't make the A Side, but that he didn't want to waste. Therefore material originally slated as a 'tag to Part 1' could easily end up in Part 2, just to pad out the stuff that he specifically recorded for part 2 such as Gee etc. He was the master of reshuffling the modules after all!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 08:29:44 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 17, 2011, 08:29:05 AM »

I've heard all this stuff too... and the box is just amazing. In some respects, I've not heard it all before, because the difference between the original multitracks and a 4th generation cassette dub is significant. "Cornucopia", for example.

So AGD - that Mr B is really down on all the fly ins and cross fades within the disc 1 sequence - the Cool Water vocals, Fall Breaks fly ins etc. Are you able to comment on how the playable album sounds to you? Are you happy with it overall? Any disappointments? Is it worthy of the title 'Smile'?!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #303 on: October 17, 2011, 08:35:49 AM »

So AGD - that Mr B is really down on all the fly ins and cross fades within the disc 1 sequence - the Cool Water vocals, Fall Breaks fly ins etc. Are you able to comment on how the playable album sounds to you? Are you happy with it overall? Any disappointments? Is it worthy of the title 'Smile'?!

Always bear this in mind - CD1 tracks 1-19 is aimed at Joe Public, not us, and I'm more than happy enough with it. The fly-ins are never too glaringly obvious and the mono mix is so good you soon forget it's not stereo. Of course, it's sorely vocally incomplete in parts, but if you were happy with BWPS, you'll like this, a lot. The biggest disappointment for me is the complete absence of Brian's fall 1966 edit/mono mix of the "Child" track. I expect there's a reason but even so...

And the bvs montage will just curl your hair. An eight-minute eargasm.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 17, 2011, 08:38:27 AM »

Always bear this in mind - CD1 tracks 1-19 is aimed at Joe Public, not us, and I'm more than happy enough with it. The fly-ins are never too glaringly obvious and the mono mix is so good you soon forget it's not stereo. Of course, it's sorely vocally incomplete in parts, but if you were happy with BWPS, you'll like this, a lot. The biggest disappointment for me is the complete absence of Brian's fall 1966 edit/mono mix of the "Child" track. I expect there's a reason but even so...

And the bvs montage will just curl your hair. An eight-minute eargasm.

Thanks for this. Yes I'm a huge fan of BWPS and have always hankered for the ultimate playable sequence of the original material so I think I'm going to enjoy the disc 1 set.

The vocal montage does sound incredible. I like the Uncut description that it could be bottled as a new psychoactive drug!

The Child mono mix is a curious omission but then what would there be left for Smile nerds to fantasize about if it was ALL released!?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 08:40:44 AM by buddhahat » Logged

trismegistus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 17, 2011, 08:54:42 AM »

I think there's one part of that last Leila post that we should be taking better stock of: as it's so eloquently put, we're going to have 5 CDs of pristine quality material to mess around with ourselves, and if something on disc 1 doesn't sound right, it can be easily changed. For better or for worse, Smile isn't just a Brian album or a Beach Boys album, it's an album that belongs to all fans, and this one permutation is hardly going to be the last word on the matter. I know that, a couple days after digesting the box, I'm gonna hunker down and start working out my next chapter of my own Smile saga. Disappointed about the lack of new revelations? 46 years after the last tape went down, the fact that we're getting ANY revelations is cause enough for celebration, and Smile is not only a masterpiece in and of itself, but it has the potential for countless masterpieces besides. Hell, I'm getting married in a couple days and I still have to ponder the upcoming box.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: October 17, 2011, 08:57:16 AM »

I think there's one part of that last Leila post that we should be taking better stock of: as it's so eloquently put, we're going to have 5 CDs of pristine quality material to mess around with ourselves, and if something on disc 1 doesn't sound right, it can be easily changed.

Oddly enough, that's pretty much what Mark said over a week ago - "you can roll your own".

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 17, 2011, 10:17:02 AM »

I know no-one is really 'complaining' about the lack of holy grails in a disrespectful way, but the main reason why most people here won't be hearing much unheard material is down to the illegal practices of certain people that AB and ML had no real control over.

(Obvs I know that it was because of the boots that Smile remained a topic of conversation etc.)

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 17, 2011, 10:23:17 AM »

Maybe the '66 mix of CIFOTM track will be an easter egg or available in some special way.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 17, 2011, 10:24:42 AM »

Maybe the '66 mix of CIFOTM track will be an easter egg or available in some special way.

Maybe they're saving something for a possible "50th anniversary box set"?

Maybe it's just that they couldn't find it in listenable quality as well.
MJP
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 17, 2011, 10:26:16 AM »

When I saw Apocalpyse Now Redux for the 1st time, I was glad I never saw the 5 hour bootleg worktape.  That said, in much the same light I wish I had never heard the Vigotone and Unsurpassed Masters boots.

I'm stilled p-ssed off that some collectors have Smile tapes that they alone can hear.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 17, 2011, 10:42:41 AM »

Maybe it's just that they couldn't find it in listenable quality as well.

Both possible - I'd be more inclined to believe the former rather than the latter, but there must be some logical reason behind it.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 17, 2011, 11:45:09 AM »

Some folk.

This makes me think of those folk who express disappointment when their first-born isn't the gender they'd hoped for.

Brian Wilson?

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #313 on: October 17, 2011, 12:05:43 PM »

Grin

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 17, 2011, 12:48:21 PM »

Some folk.

This makes me think of those folk who express disappointment when their first-born isn't the gender they'd hoped for.

Brian Wilson?
Top 5! Great post

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: October 17, 2011, 12:55:46 PM »

Some folk.

Brian Wilson?
Top 5! Great post

LOL
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 12:56:52 PM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 17, 2011, 01:20:35 PM »

How has this woman actually heard the album, is she a freelance journalist or something

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #317 on: October 17, 2011, 01:40:54 PM »

How has this woman actually heard the album, is she a freelance journalist or something

Claims to have two friends, one of whom is something to do with Westminster, who have access to a review stream. Seeing as she managed to confuse the Defence Secretary (who has just resigned amid considerable scandal) with the Foreign Secretary (who hasn't), the consensus on the Hoff is, bull.  Grin
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 01:41:57 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

LonelyDays
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 17, 2011, 02:31:46 PM »

Weren't they streaming it? Maybe the hidden tracks weren't steamed.

Correct... but neither were the tracks from the 2nd CD of the 2CD set.  Wink

Leila said that B 'finally let her hear H&V parts 1 and 2' or something. Which makes me think it was from another source rather than the stream.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #319 on: October 17, 2011, 02:34:54 PM »

Weren't they streaming it? Maybe the hidden tracks weren't steamed.

Correct... but neither were the tracks from the 2nd CD of the 2CD set.  Wink

Leila said that B 'finally let her hear H&V parts 1 and 2' or something. Which makes me think it was from another source rather than the stream.

I doubt that - the descriptions she related have been previously circulated. I don't doubt that someone she knows has heard the review stream for the 5CD set, but there are a few claims that just don't sit right with me.

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #320 on: October 17, 2011, 02:38:37 PM »

"Okay, fellow execs, so we need to put together a 50th anniversary box. Of course, we're going to have to include the hits, just like the 30th anniversary box set did, but what else do we need?"
"Oh, I know what all the fans have just been clamoring for. Let's see. Of course, we need to include 'Good Vibrations,' 'Kokomo,' and 'Surfin' Safari.' How about that 1966 mix of 'Child Is Father Of The Man'?"
"YEAH!!! That'll guarantee that we sell a million units!"

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 17, 2011, 02:45:01 PM »

Claims to have two friends, one of whom is something to do with Westminster, who have access to a review stream. Seeing as she managed to confuse the Defence Secretary (who has just resigned amid considerable scandal) with the Foreign Secretary (who hasn't), the consensus on the Hoff is, bull.  Grin

What a nut!

I'm pretty sure it's Mark Linett having a laugh

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
LonelyDays
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 17, 2011, 02:49:33 PM »

All the mistakes (and the Saint Etienne quotes) are totally deliberate. She's throwing in a bit of misinformation just to make you wonder. And remember the H&V parts 1 and 2 bit is from a 3rd party. Like..  Leila wasn't even in the room and doesn't comment on it.  It's all B and S  Cheesy
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 17, 2011, 02:50:30 PM »

What a nut!

She also said that Surf's Up has Brian AND Carl on the verse. Didn't Mark pretty much indicate on the interview that it's just Brian (except for the bygones)?
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #324 on: October 17, 2011, 02:59:53 PM »

What a nut!

I'm still convinced it's Al.

He broke the news to begin with, he hasn't felt this important for years and he wants more!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx