gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:43:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A note about myself  (Read 14884 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 21, 2011, 11:56:37 AM »

Hey all. I see there were some questions posted about me in another thread, which has since been closed.

I did want to just take a moment and add some transparency about myself. And yes, this is self-indulgent, so feel free to read something else if you like. This will only take a moment.

My posting name, Wirestone, is my last name. I used to post under the name claymcc, which was also my name before I got married (yes, to a man). So my name was Clay McCuistion at first -- I started posting back at the Cabinessence board when I was in high school. I'm now Clay Wirestone. Simple.

I am a journalist -- editor, designer, writer -- in New England. It's pretty easy to find stuff about me online if you want to search. I'm pretty open about my career, my work and my life (and my appreciation of Brian Wilson).

My (so-so) interview with Brian: http://www.concordmonitor.com/article/six-minutes-with-brian-wilson
My interview with Probyn: http://www.concordmonitor.com/article/hour-with-probyn-gregory
That Lucky Old Sun review: http://www.concordmonitor.com/article/beach-boys-lucky-old-album
My personal site: clayfiles.com

I've had great times here, and some times when I've been self-absorbed and prickly. But I love the music, and I enjoy talking about it. Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 01:30:32 PM by Wirestone » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 08:01:15 PM »

So, is Clay a woman's name?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 08:16:36 PM »

Tis a man's name. Know what I mean?

A discipline daddy.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 08:17:54 PM »

'Tis the whole point, really.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 10:17:33 PM »

You got a pretty good Brianism fromhim about how his synthesizer sounds good. Nice.

No mas, por favor.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 10:25:12 PM »

What a jerk.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 08:25:46 AM »

Hey all. I see there weren't any questions posted about me in other threads, but I'll still write a message about who I am because I'm momentarily striving for attention and it seems this thread is appropriate.

I did want to just take a moment and add some transparency about myself. And yes, this is self-indulgent, so feel free to read something else if you like. This will only take a moment.

My posting name, SloopJohnB, is obviously derived from a traditional tune that later became a Beach Boys single. You'd think this means I have no personality at all, but between posting under my own name (boring), an obscure reference usually more than 20 letters long (boring) or a Beach Boys song (boring but related), I just went for the most appropriate choice. I am heterosexual and proud of it, but when homosexuals make fun of my sexual preferences -- and yes, it does happen -- I laugh because I make the effort to understand what's funny to them. This makes it easier to make fun of their sexual preferences in return, because they know I just want to have a laugh, so they're not offended. I'm taking my sexuality as an example, but obviously this works for all subjects (religion, politics, music, cars, brand of toilet paper). Nothing that was meant to be humor or teasing is offensive to me. And if I think people are just mean (mockery ≠ humor/teasing -- e.g. "lol the French should just go back to smelling bad and losing wars, useless retards") I choose to ignore them instead of crying and going "boohoo, but I'm French you know, this is not funny, people died", because answering back can only lead to more drama.

I am a law student -- private law, to be precise -- in France. It's not easy to find stuff about me online, because I actually cared about my privacy until 5 minutes ago when I decided that the world should know more about me. I'm completely open about my burgeoning career, my work and my life (and my appreciation of Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys), as long as you're not a stalker, but honestly, this is just a message board and I don't see why you would want to know anything more.

I've had great times here, and some times when other people have been self-absorbed and prickly. But I love the music, and I enjoy talking about it. Thanks. And now, back to privacy mode.

Smiley

LOL

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 05:17:36 AM »

My name is Andrew G. Doe.

And that, my friends, minions and acolytes, is all you need to know.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 06:50:12 AM »

My name is Andrew G. Doe.

And that, my friends, minions and acolytes, is all you need to know.
LOL

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 09:50:25 AM »

I would like to transition from minion to acolyte if at all possible. Is there some sort of form I need to fill out?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 05:24:47 PM »

Me, I'm just a Sam Black who spends most of his days reading literature, getting bored, then getting drunk and posting here. I am a moderately well adjusted twenty year old Londoner. There isn't much more to think about, really.

As for Mr. Doe, would like the opportunity to hang properly with you if you get the chance - our meeting at the RFH was rudely interrupted by the band deciding to return to the stage  Shocked As for minion or acolyte, well, i am in no position to qualify.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SG7
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 08:10:01 PM »

I exist and I know more about the BBs than most twentysomething old girls care to know about.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 09:48:38 AM »

Deleted.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 10:46:19 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 11:10:10 AM »

The Beach Boys were the first band with i could relate to on a personal level and their music helps me get through the day.
Hi Brooks, yes indeed, I think many of us here love The Beach Boys for the very same reasons that you do.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 12:35:48 AM »

I bet no one can guess what my name is! 

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2011, 12:52:22 AM »

On a slightly more serious note...a belated welcome to Brooks/SMiLE Brian. I was just barely 20 myself when I got into the BBs (Circa 2005). First time I heard Pet Sounds beyond just the singles...WOW! First time I heard SIP... Thud 

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2011, 08:38:20 AM »

On a slightly more serious note...a belated welcome to Brooks/SMiLE Brian. I was just barely 20 myself when I got into the BBs (Circa 2005). First time I heard Pet Sounds beyond just the singles...WOW! First time I heard SIP... Thud 
Thanks man, still waiting to find SIP at a really cheap price for that life changing experience... LOL I got into the group through watching American Graffiti for school and learning about all the great music before the Beatles.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 08:50:39 AM »

you should post something in the Smiley Smilers Who Make Music section.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 01:28:43 PM »

I'm Mike. I'm younger then almost everyone here. I play basically any instrument and i've taken a college course in song writing and production and I'm currently finishing up AP music theory.

Also, I love Brian Wilson, and I almost met him, and I met the whole BW band.

I'm a nerd and I love gaming, I own every console from NES-PS3, and I've been programming since I was 7.

Oh, and I hate team sports because I can't trust anyone.

So... Yeah thats me!

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2012, 11:45:30 PM »

Fortunately or not, but can't do it because: 1) I'm very lazy when it comes to writing down the notes; 2) usually I improvise with chords and so on, therefore, I forget all the written in mind spontaneous compositions, cannot play any of them note-for-note; 3) don't know how to record them & upload to the Inet. All in all, I just enjoy playing & goofing around with notes, if I may say that. At least, by now I don't think I'm ready to share my so-called recordings with anyone on this or another musical board.

I recorded an entire album of mainly improvisation: http://danscarpa.bandcamp.com/album/abstracts

Of course, I don't think anyone here would like it.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2012, 11:29:19 PM »

Fortunately or not, but can't do it because: 1) I'm very lazy when it comes to writing down the notes; 2) usually I improvise with chords and so on, therefore, I forget all the written in mind spontaneous compositions, cannot play any of them note-for-note; 3) don't know how to record them & upload to the Inet. All in all, I just enjoy playing & goofing around with notes, if I may say that. At least, by now I don't think I'm ready to share my so-called recordings with anyone on this or another musical board.

I recorded an entire album of mainly improvisation: http://danscarpa.bandcamp.com/album/abstracts

Of course, I don't think anyone here would like it.

That first track has some Lawns of dawn marble index sh*t goin' on. Track 2 has scared me away though, for now.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 05:16:20 PM »

Hey, that's really cool that you took the time to listen to my music. It's cool to be compared to Brian Wilson and Mick Jagger! "New Summertime Blues" was recorded three years ago, and during that time, I learned how to sing a little better but I've lost a lot of the upper range in my voice and it's become raspier. This album: http://mount-moon.bandcamp.com/ recorded with my band is from earlier this year and has a re-recording of Endless Open Sky on it. It's actually really depressing comparing the two back to back. I've had a constant cold for what seems like years and bad nasal drip and I guess that takes its toll. "Wolf's Blood", on that Mount Moon album though, I tried on purpose to make it sound that gritty.

And yes, my great-grandparents were Italian but my family has lived in America for over a century.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2012, 12:23:07 PM »

Again, I really appreciate you taking the time to listen to my music and tell me your thoughts about it. My songs on this album, besides Endless Open Sky which I wrote years prior, were all written very quickly. I just allowed the words to spew out as fast as they could go. Turtle's Game, especially. I wrote down the first thing that came to my head. I wanted the lyrics to have this imagery of a psychedelic summertime romantic experience. I think the words in the song reflect that even if most of them don't have any meaning if you look at it line by line.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2012, 06:02:42 AM »

Hey all. I see there were some questions posted about me in another thread, which has since been closed.

My posting name, Wirestone, is my last name. I used to post under the name claymcc, which was also my name before I got married (yes, to a man). So my name was Clay McCuistion at first -- I started posting back at the Cabinessence board when I was in high school. I'm now Clay Wirestone. Simple.

I am a journalist -- editor, designer, writer -- in New England. It's pretty easy to find stuff about me online if you want to search. I'm pretty open about my career, my work and my life (and my appreciation of Brian Wilson).

My (so-so) interview with Brian: http://www.concordmonitor.com/article/six-minutes-with-brian-wilson
My interview with Probyn: http://www.concordmonitor.com/article/hour-with-probyn-gregory
That Lucky Old Sun review: http://www.concordmonitor.com/article/beach-boys-lucky-old-album
My personal site: clayfiles.com

I've had great times here, and some times when I've been self-absorbed and prickly. But I love the music, and I enjoy talking about it. Thanks.

Those were a great read!  Thanks!  Wink
zachrwolfe
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2013, 03:56:08 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:26:06 PM by zatch » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx