gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681020 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 12:03:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Friends" discussion thread  (Read 20986 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 12, 2011, 06:02:45 PM »

Friends is a masterpiece. It's my 3rd fave after Smile and Pet Sounds, but I love it just as much as those two.

This guy...this guy is alright by me
the best is pet sounds, wild honey and smile sessions Smiley ..friends is at the bottom with holland and so tough lol

Jesus, Mary and Broseph! What's wrong with Holland and So Tough?!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 13, 2011, 04:30:32 AM »

"Passing By","Anna Lee The Healer","Busy Doin' Nothin'","diamond head"...those are the only 4 good songs on that album ..so outta 1-10 it gets a 5.

Those are all my least favorite songs on the album. I really don't understand why Anna Lee is so well-loved. I just don't get it. However, I like the other group-written songs, especially Dennis' contributions.

You know that video of the boys performing Never Learn Not to Love on some TV show? Was there an attempt to plug that song as a single before the whole Manson thing blew up? It's just so powerful, and the lyrics fit the mood of the counterculture, imo. I love it. Forget about the scandal, it is a great song that competes with anything the Beatles did (obligatory "imho").
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 13, 2011, 05:06:58 AM »

Friends is a masterpiece. It's my 3rd fave after Smile and Pet Sounds, but I love it just as much as those two.

the best is pet sounds, wild honey and smile sessions Smiley ..friends is at the bottom with holland and so tough lol

the only "good" songs on holland are "sail on sailor" and "funky pretty"
and so tough .."marcella" and "all this is that"...i'm a beach boys fan and i admit both albums were horrible.
sum of ur are so hardcore and such fanatics that u cnt admit the truth.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 13, 2011, 05:08:11 AM »

"Passing By","Anna Lee The Healer","Busy Doin' Nothin'","diamond head"...those are the only 4 good songs on that album ..so outta 1-10 it gets a 5.

Those are all my least favorite songs on the album. I really don't understand why Anna Lee is so well-loved. I just don't get it. However, I like the other group-written songs, especially Dennis' contributions.

You know that video of the boys performing Never Learn Not to Love on some TV show? Was there an attempt to plug that song as a single before the whole Manson thing blew up? It's just so powerful, and the lyrics fit the mood of the counterculture, imo. I love it. Forget about the scandal, it is a great song that competes with anything the Beatles did (obligatory "imho").
really y?
it's the melody and catchyness of the anna lee that attracts ppl Smiley
and i think it was ..even if it is charles manson's song i think dennis did an awesome version of it Smiley
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 13, 2011, 05:10:52 AM »

Friends;
There are some very nice moments on the record but nothing really approaches greatness, except maybe the title track. I think Friends is a vast improvement over Wild Honey in the production values and a slight improvement in the overall consistency of the songwriting. For me, 20/20 is where the magic really came back.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 05:15:03 AM by The Return of the Son of Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 13, 2011, 05:30:15 AM »

20/20 sounds like a band trying harder to fit into the current rock landscape. Friends is pure Brian. It all comes down to personal taste. My five fave BB albums are all pre- group dominance, so that's where I'm coming from.
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 13, 2011, 05:49:33 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I0v2bVX8j4&feature=related
Carl behind the drums !
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 13, 2011, 06:26:58 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I0v2bVX8j4&feature=related
Carl behind the drums !

Alright, here's a question-- how much of that performance is actually "live?" I'm guessing just the vocals, right?

And to answer your question newguy: I think Anna Lee is lame, even for the Beach Boys. No drive, no edge at all. I can't think of the comparison to another artist that would put it in perspective. It's just so... amateurish compared to other BB songs. The vocals are spot on, sure, but not very interesting, imo. Very lightweight.

And I'm coming from a place of appreciating post-Pet Sounds more than the classic period.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 13, 2011, 06:42:00 AM »

and so tough .."marcella" and "all this is that"...i'm a beach boys fan and i admit both albums were horrible.

Nothing compared to Belles of Paris, right?  LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 13, 2011, 07:20:57 AM »

And to answer your question newguy: I think Anna Lee is lame, even for the Beach Boys. No drive, no edge at all.

People concerned about "edge" and who equate a lack of edge with being "lightweight" are never going to understand an album like Friends. Or, for that matter,  the genre of soft pop and other great 60s groups like the Free Design, etc. Their loss.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 13, 2011, 08:07:58 AM »

Friends represented a giant leap in production values over the previous two albums, but I find the songs (with the exception of the title track, and perhaps "Wake the World") to be pretty uninspired.  Especially on lyrics.  They might as well have been singing about Banana and Louie!  LOL
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 13, 2011, 08:35:38 AM »

But that's exactly what I love about it! I love the fact that's it all about your friends, waking up, walking about the garden, chatting to the wife, doing more to the wife..... Such a relaxed thing!

sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 13, 2011, 08:44:53 AM »

But that's exactly what I love about it! I love the fact that's it all about your friends, waking up, walking about the garden, chatting to the wife, doing more to the wife..... Such a relaxed thing!

Yeah, but what if your friends are a bunch of wanks, you hate waking up in the morning, and the wife is definitely not a morning person? lol!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 13, 2011, 08:47:47 AM »

Play Love You at earsplitting volume?  Grin

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 13, 2011, 02:44:22 PM »

And to answer your question newguy: I think Anna Lee is lame, even for the Beach Boys. No drive, no edge at all.

People concerned about "edge" and who equate a lack of edge with being "lightweight" are never going to understand an album like Friends. Or, for that matter,  the genre of soft pop and other great 60s groups like the Free Design, etc. Their loss.

Couldn't agree more!

Come to think of it, Friends is actually pretty close to the Free Design in some ways...

The record itself may seem "lightweight" at first but it still clearly incorporates all the expertise of a group and its mastermind who had worked on something as heavy and elaborate as Pet Sounds a couple of years before.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 13, 2011, 04:39:15 PM »

u guys give me hard time 4 liking that song...but whats bad about mike love singing about paris?lol
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 13, 2011, 05:34:48 PM »

I love me some Friends
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 13, 2011, 06:04:15 PM »

u guys give me hard time 4 liking that song...but whats bad about mike love singing about paris?lol
A lot is wrong about liking Mike Love singing about Paris.... LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 13, 2011, 06:35:14 PM »

A lot is wrong about liking Mike Love singing about Paris.... LOL
LMFAO.. Dnt Ya Love His Nasal Voice? lol
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 13, 2011, 06:41:20 PM »

Man, Mike Love singing terrible French puns/place names/food/landmarks is just not defensible. I have no idea.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 13, 2011, 06:43:09 PM »

Man, Mike Love singing terrible French puns/place names/food/landmarks is just not defensible. I have no idea.
The lyrics sound like he is reading out of a world book encyclopedia. Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 13, 2011, 07:11:26 PM »

The lyrics sound like he is reading out of a world book encyclopedia. Grin
what you said is kinda crazy but at the same time.. it does sound like he's reading out of the world book encyclopedia lol
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx