gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:00:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [insert] she needs me  (Read 12546 times)
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2011, 08:21:48 PM »

I've heard at least two mixes of Brian's '76 attempt at Sherry, one with the backing track in stereo the other with it in mono...both in so-so quality.  I think the original tape may be damaged or worn.

I've heard two versions too. Was just listening to one of them - a relatively clean version from Dumb Angel Rarities Volume 3.

The mix on DA Rarities is the same version found on SOT Vol. 20.  That mix has Brian + backing track in mono and the backing vocals slightly panned to the right (and a layer of bad tape noise buried in that channel).  This version has a proper fade, so it's likely the '78 mix Alan Boyd referred to.

I prefer the mix and quality of the version with the track in stereo/no fadeout, but I have no idea what boot that originated from.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2011, 08:29:46 PM »

What made Brian opt for using such an ancient track for a 76 vocal? Why not re-record it? I love the backing track, obviously, but a re-recording would make the version a lot less frustrating.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2011, 08:35:51 PM »

The mix on DA Rarities is the same version found on SOT Vol. 20.  That mix has Brian + backing track in mono and the backing vocals slightly panned to the right (and a layer of bad tape noise buried in that channel).  This version has a proper fade, so it's likely the '78 mix Alan Boyd referred to.I prefer the mix and quality of the version with the track in stereo/no fadeout, but I have no idea what boot that originated from.

I know which one you're talking about. I know there's a difference. I'm gonna see if I can find it.

I do like the Dumb Angel version though. Very clear. It seems like the lead vocal was doubled. There's a couple of instances where he misses the sync (or maybe 'cause it's stereo?) You hear the old Brian in the high notes. He can still do it at that point.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2011, 08:48:20 PM »

Mine were old worn down versions from the Preiss tape and california feeling boots.

Same here! First time I heard it was on a cassette tape in the early 80's. That tape source was the catylyst for a vinyl boot called "California Feeling" on the 'Brother Records' label. It had a picture of Dennis on the Harmony on the back cover I believe.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2011, 09:12:06 PM »

Just take off "i'm bugged at my old man" off "Summer Days" and put "Sherry she needs me" on it and you have an album that would rival "Today!". Jeff loves that period of BW's music anyway, so i think there is a chance it could happen.

i love that era.  I wish Summer Days era had two albums. instead of party, another in summer days vein
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2011, 09:25:02 PM »

The mix on DA Rarities is the same version found on SOT Vol. 20.  That mix has Brian + backing track in mono and the backing vocals slightly panned to the right (and a layer of bad tape noise buried in that channel).  This version has a proper fade, so it's likely the '78 mix Alan Boyd referred to.I prefer the mix and quality of the version with the track in stereo/no fadeout, but I have no idea what boot that originated from.

I know which one you're talking about. I know there's a difference. I'm gonna see if I can find it.

The DA Rarities version is definitely the same mix as the version found on SOT...just volume adjusted and with a little hiss reduction.
I do like the Dumb Angel version though. Very clear.

The left channel is clean, but the channel with the BGV is bathed in tape noise and dropouts.  It's definitely something that would benefit greatly from an official release.

Just take off "i'm bugged at my old man" off "Summer Days" and put "Sherry she needs me" on it and you have an album that would rival "Today!". Jeff loves that period of BW's music anyway, so i think there is a chance it could happen.

i love that era.  I wish Summer Days era had two albums. instead of party, another in summer days vein

As much as I love portions of Party!, a late '65 album with The Little Girl I Once Knew, Sherry She Needs Me, Let Him Run Wild, Guess I'm Dumb, Three Blind Mice, Trombone Dixie, Sloop John B and songs of a similar vein is difficult not to fantasize about.  I guess that's why that "Remember The Zoo" myth was repeated so often.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 09:45:52 PM by Ebb and Flow » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2011, 01:38:14 AM »

This is probably acurate, but I really wish it was BRIAN WILSON & THE BEACH BOYS deciding what to play instead of the almighty Jeff Fosket.

Really hope Jeff isn't part of any reunion shows, although he likely will because everyone involved thinks his voice is the second coming of Brian's 60s voice. I have to assume these people are deaf. imo.

In my opinion, Matt Jardine can sing circles around Jeff.  I'd much ratehr have Matt present than Jeff.  Matt can do an awesome take on Warmth Of The Sun.

Agreed. Much as JF has been a stalwart with the BBs and BW down the years, Matt's voice just matches the blend so much better. at the BW Manchester gig on Tuesday, the band harmonies were as good as I've heard them, but JF's falsetto over the top was like a fingernail on a blackboard by comparison. He sang lead on DWB and knocked it out of the park, as I believe you colonials say, but he frequently grated during the block harmonies, to my ears.

Erm, shouldn't this be in one o' them thar "Reunion" threads?  LOL

“We live in divisive times.”
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2011, 02:00:31 AM »

He sang lead on DWB and knocked it out of the park

doubtful.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2011, 02:12:24 AM »

He sang lead on DWB and knocked it out of the park

doubtful.

Well, blow me down, perhaps I wasn't there after all.   Undecided

“We live in divisive times.”
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2011, 03:15:09 AM »

Matt can do an awesome take on Warmth Of The Sun.

And Hushabye to name another.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
pobbard
Smiley Smile Associate

My ultimate guilty pleasure

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2011, 05:22:03 AM »

As much as I love portions of Party!, a late '65 album with The Little Girl I Once Knew, Sherry She Needs Me, Let Him Run Wild, Guess I'm Dumb, Three Blind Mice, Trombone Dixie, Sloop John B and songs of a similar vein is difficult not to fantasize about.  I guess that's why that "Remember The Zoo" myth was repeated so often.

Wait, it's a myth? I thought it was coming out after TSS!  Razz

Would love to see the Wondermints (do they still exist?) cover "Sandy/Sherry/Terri" some day in the way they did "Guess I'm Dumb".

hongkongcrowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2011, 07:53:20 AM »

What's the "Remember the Zoo" myth about?  Something about the Pet Sounds photoshoot?

LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2011, 08:09:41 AM »

What's the "Remember the Zoo" myth about?  Something about the Pet Sounds photoshoot?

http://www.btinternet.com/~bellagio/unreleased.html
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2011, 10:28:58 AM »

I know there's a lot of bonus tracks for the Today!/SUmmer Days twofer, but I'm really surprised the Sandy/She Needs Me sessions/track wasn't made available on the twofer

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2011, 11:42:43 AM »

I know there's a lot of bonus tracks for the Today!/SUmmer Days twofer, but I'm really surprised the Sandy/She Needs Me sessions/track wasn't made available on the twofer

I'm guessing it didn't make the cut because it wasn't as "finished" as the other tracks, most of which were alternate versions or completed recordings. I would have loved to see it on there too though. I wonder why a lead vocal was never done and it was left unfinished in the first place?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2011, 06:55:35 PM »

The completed 1970s Brian showcase version could have taken the place of many a crappy song on the late 1970s albums.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 07:20:12 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2011, 09:48:28 AM »

The completed 1970s Brian showcase version could have taken the place of many a crappy song on the late 1970s albums.
agreed....It would have fit right in on Adult Child, with the whole big band/mature theme.

I think Brian shoulda released a Brian Loves You (solo album), either 2 LPs...first disc with older tunes (more with his original/sweeter voice) and the 2nd disc being with his more gruff voice...perhaps, if not a 2-disker, then just 1 LP with the first side of the earlier voice, then the 2nd side of the latter voice.
Ideal tracklistings are more than welcome!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2011, 10:06:17 AM »

agreed....It would have fit right in on Adult Child, with the whole big band/mature theme.

I think Brian shoulda released a Brian Loves You (solo album), either 2 LPs...first disc with older tunes (more with his original/sweeter voice) and the 2nd disc being with his more gruff voice...perhaps, if not a 2-disker, then just 1 LP with the first side of the earlier voice, then the 2nd side of the latter voice.
Ideal tracklistings are more than welcome!
Hoping for an official Adult/Child release or box set with tons of  unreleased late 1970s Brian or Beach Boys material. That stuff is so interesting because Brian was truly back working in studio with new and unique material until the band rejected Adult/Child.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 10:18:08 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
ghost
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2011, 10:13:44 AM »

There's no chance in hell a box set for Adult/Child will ever come out, especially not with that title...  police
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2011, 11:18:42 AM »

There's no chance in hell a box set for Adult/Child will ever come out, especially not with that title...  police
Better chance than a Smiley smile box set.

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2011, 06:57:14 PM »

Still I Dream of It is one of Brian's best songs, AND IT WASN'T EVEN RELEASED.

M.I.U ALBUM OVER ADULT CHILD IS CRAZY!!! WTF BOYS!?!?!

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2011, 10:04:05 PM »

The second piano demo of "It's Over Now" is magic and better in every single way than the terrible version that did get an official release.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2011, 11:28:11 PM »

The second piano demo of "It's Over Now" is magic and better in every single way than the terrible version that did get an official release.

s'not so bad when you put it at the right speed. The demo/rehearsal/whatever version of Brian playing the song by himself on piano is indeed better, though, fuckups and all.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
aingevt
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2011, 11:05:13 AM »

I too always wished someone would take the 65 Sandy track with partial vocals and just finish it using the 76 Sherri lyrics and melody. It's just sitting there, begging to be finished. I got tired of waiting so I thought I'd take a crack at it. I quickly discovered that the 76 version had 4 extra measures at the beginning (Brian starts singing on the pickup to verse 5,  i.e. a few notes before the 65 track even starts) and was in a different key/speed. I took cut two measure out of it, "fixed" the key/speed and put it into the beginning of the 65 track. It doesn't sound perfect, but it's all I had to work with. Then I tried to sit down and figure out Brian's chorus harmonies by ear. That quickly gave me a headache. I figured out part of them, then just decided to fill out the rest myself. I only have a handheld recorder (albeit decent quality) to work with and I was recording in front of my computer with one headphone on, so it sounds like I'm singing in my bathroom. Also, having only a handheld recorder and Audacity to work with, I had to assemble all the vocals manually. After making a test mixdown mp3, I noticed I was off on a few notes and Audacity had somehow brickwalled the chorus harmonies. When your off a little while doing 5 different vocal parts, it's pretty obvious. I reopened Audacity so I could figure out which one I messed up and redo it, but the file was corrupted and all my parts had been erased. I still had the raw wav files, but I didn't feel like spending another couple of hours resyncing them over a note or two.

Long story short, I'd love to hear some critiques of what I came up with. Do the harmonies sound close to right? Thanks

http://www.mediafire.com/?uzcqt6h8ffu0z8w
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2011, 11:14:06 AM »

I too always wished someone would take the 65 Sandy track with partial vocals and just finish it using the 76 Sherri lyrics and melody. It's just sitting there, begging to be finished. I got tired of waiting so I thought I'd take a crack at it. I quickly discovered that the 76 version had 4 extra measures at the beginning (Brian starts singing on the pickup to verse 5,  i.e. a few notes before the 65 track even starts) and was in a different key/speed. I took cut two measure out of it, "fixed" the key/speed and put it into the beginning of the 65 track. It doesn't sound perfect, but it's all I had to work with. Then I tried to sit down and figure out Brian's chorus harmonies by ear. That quickly gave me a headache. I figured out part of them, then just decided to fill out the rest myself. I only have a handheld recorder (albeit decent quality) to work with and I was recording in front of my computer with one headphone on, so it sounds like I'm singing in my bathroom. Also, having only a handheld recorder and Audacity to work with, I had to assemble all the vocals manually. After making a test mixdown mp3, I noticed I was off on a few notes and Audacity had somehow brickwalled the chorus harmonies. When your off a little while doing 5 different vocal parts, it's pretty obvious. I reopened Audacity so I could figure out which one I messed up and redo it, but the file was corrupted and all my parts had been erased. I still had the raw wav files, but I didn't feel like spending another couple of hours resyncing them over a note or two.

Long story short, I'd love to hear some critiques of what I came up with. Do the harmonies sound close to right? Thanks

http://www.mediafire.com/?uzcqt6h8ffu0z8w
Good Job with giving a lead vocal to this song! Thumbs Up

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx