gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 09:16:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [insert] she needs me  (Read 12580 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2011, 03:25:50 PM »

The more classic era Beach Boys albums, the better. A stopgap album would amazing considering how much great stuff BW never released or finished in his prime.  Samples from a stop-gap album could include songs such as "all dressed up for school", "guess i'm dumb", "thank him", "sherry she needs me", "I do", " their hearts were full of spring," and a few covers.

Easier'n fallin' offa bike, amirite? Wouldn't have been difficult to pull off or even find a decent single from. Even if it was just a proper "rarities" record, it would've been great. "The Little Girl I Once Knew" would've been an obvious inclusion, as well.
"The Little Girl I Once Knew", keep forgeting that was only a single.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
pobbard
Smiley Smile Associate

My ultimate guilty pleasure

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2011, 03:56:45 PM »

Does anyone know how far they got with "Terri, She Needs Me" during the BW88 sessions?

Thanks!
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2011, 04:07:10 PM »

Just take off "i'm bugged at my old man" off "Summer Days" and put "Sherry she needs me" on it and you have an album that would rival "Today!". Jeff loves that period of BW's music anyway, so i think there is a chance it could happen.

This is probably acurate, but I really wish it was BRIAN WILSON & THE BEACH BOYS deciding what to play instead of the almighty Jeff Fosket.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2011, 04:23:28 PM »

Supposedly, the title was changed for the version (She Says That She Needs Me) on Imagination. Melinda found out that Brian use to have a girfriend named Sheri and didn't like it.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2011, 04:31:38 PM »

that must be the most re-recorded song of ANY BB song..
1.the first verison from the mid 60's (sandy)
2.the version from the late 60's (sherry)
3.the version from the late 70's (sherry)
4.Tricia (mike love solo same song different lyrics)
5.I've heard it was re-recorded in the mid-80's but I can't say for sure
6.she says she needs me (imagination)
7.she says she needs me (INSTRUMENTAL PROMO VERION?)

the only song I can think of that comes close is "back home"
1.early demo
2.mid-60's
3.late 60's
4.15 big ones
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2011, 04:37:38 PM »

The track for Sherry came first first...recorded on 3/29/65

Then came Sandy...recorded with the group on 5/4/65

Then in the early '70s the Sherry track was copied and had vocals added in August of '76
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2011, 04:53:11 PM »

Then in the early '70s the Sherry track was copied and had vocals added in August of '76

cool thanks wasn't sure which version came first
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2011, 04:56:02 PM »

Supposedly, the title was changed for the version (She Says That She Needs Me) on Imagination. Melinda found out that Brian use to have a girfriend named Sheri and didn't like it.

Sickening.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2011, 04:57:13 PM »

This is probably acurate, but I really wish it was BRIAN WILSON & THE BEACH BOYS deciding what to play instead of the almighty Jeff Fosket.

Really hope Jeff isn't part of any reunion shows, although he likely will because everyone involved thinks his voice is the second coming of Brian's 60s voice. I have to assume these people are deaf. imo.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2011, 05:01:15 PM »

And Boyd says another attempt was made in 1978.  And again around 1988.

There was obviously more instruments added in '76 to the '65 instrumental track and/or the track was completely re-recorded in the mid-late 70's.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2011, 05:12:26 PM »

There was obviously more instruments added in '76 to the '65 instrumental track and/or the track was completely re-recorded in the mid-late 70's.

The backing track for Sherry has never been booted, so I'm not sure how you'd come to that conclusion.  What's heard on the '76 version sounds like vintage Brian wrecking crew arrangement to me.  This is also what c-man concluded in his research, which uses the unbooted session tape of the tracking session for reference.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 05:17:11 PM by Ebb and Flow » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2011, 05:17:43 PM »

Just take off "i'm bugged at my old man" off "Summer Days" and put "Sherry she needs me" on it and you have an album that would rival "Today!". Jeff loves that period of BW's music anyway, so i think there is a chance it could happen.

I just ment that Jeff agreeing to do the high part in the song and helping rehearse the BW band , but your right, it should Brian and rest of the BBs recording it.
Al's son Matt would sound good as well doing the high part
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 05:24:01 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2011, 05:25:21 PM »

What the heck is wrong with Melinda, Brian wrote that song in 1965 for crying out loud.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2011, 05:39:01 PM »

The backing track for Sherry has never been booted, so I'm not sure how you'd come to that conclusion.  What's heard on the '76 version sounds like vintage Brian wrecking crew arrangement to me.  This is also what c-man concluded in his research, which uses the unbooted session tape of the tracking session for reference.

I wasn't discounting the fact that the instrumental track for Sherry was used for the '76 version. It just sounds to me like more instruments were added to it. Could be wrong on that, though. Again, Boyd said 1n 2007 that someone at Brother Studio tried their hand at yet another rough mix in 1978, which is the one circulating on boots.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2011, 05:47:01 PM »

What the heck is wrong with Melinda, Brian wrote that song in 1965 for crying out loud.

Exactly. Jealousy over someone who your spouse dated essentially when he was a kid is a bit much. Jealousy to the extent of making him alter one of his songs from 1965 over it is beyond a bit much.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2011, 05:51:24 PM »

Exactly. Jealousy over someone who your spouse dated essentially when he was a kid is a bit much. Jealousy to the extent of making him alter one of his songs from 1965 over it is beyond a bit much.
She made THE BRIAN WILSON change his lyrics.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 05:52:41 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2011, 05:52:47 PM »

Really hope Jeff isn't part of any reunion shows, although he likely will because everyone involved thinks his voice is the second coming of Brian's 60s voice. I have to assume these people are deaf. imo.

In my opinion, Matt Jardine can sing circles around Jeff.  I'd much ratehr have Matt present than Jeff.  Matt can do an awesome take on Warmth Of The Sun.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2011, 05:53:41 PM »

lawl, sarcasm?

In my opinion, Matt Jardine can sing circles around Jeff.  I'd much ratehr have Matt present than Jeff.  Matt can do an awesome take on Warmth Of The Sun.

Agreed = )

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2011, 05:57:07 PM »

I wasn't discounting the fact that the instrumental track for Sherry was used for the '76 version. It just sounds to me like more instruments were added to it. Could be wrong on that, though.

I was arguing the claim that instruments were overdubbed in '76...I don't think that's the case (though I could be wrong on that too).  Again, I'm basing that on c-man's research, as the tape to the original tracking session is unavailable to us.  Sad

Again, Boyd said 1n 2007 that someone at Brother Studio tried their hand at yet another rough mix in 1978, which is the one circulating on boots.

I've heard at least two mixes of Brian's '76 attempt at Sherry, one with the backing track in stereo the other with it in mono...both in so-so quality.  I think the original tape may be damaged or worn.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2011, 06:00:00 PM »

lawl, sarcasm?

In my opinion, Matt Jardine can sing circles around Jeff.  I'd much ratehr have Matt present than Jeff.  Matt can do an awesome take on Warmth Of The Sun.
Agreed = )
Nah, just trying to emphasize that a used car saleswomen got the greatest pop composer of the 20th century to change his lyrics.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2011, 06:04:12 PM »

Nah, just trying to emphasize that a used car saleswomen got the greatest pop composer of the 20th century to change his lyrics.

Sad

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2011, 06:07:10 PM »

I've heard at least two mixes of Brian's '76 attempt at Sherry, one with the backing track in stereo the other with it in mono...both in so-so quality.  I think the original tape may be damaged or worn.

I've heard two versions too. Was just listening to one of them - a relatively clean version from Dumb Angel Rarities Volume 3.

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2011, 06:09:36 PM »

what do you guys think of "Tricia"? it's obviously mike love tyrying to do "sherry"/"sandy" do he even give brian credit on that song?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2011, 06:09:47 PM »

I've heard two versions too. Was just listening to one of them - a relatively clean version from Dumb Angel Rarities Volume 3.
Mine were old worn down versions from the Preiss tape and california feeling boots.

grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2011, 08:04:47 PM »

what do you guys think of "Tricia"? it's obviously mike love tyrying to do "sherry"/"sandy" do he even give brian credit on that song?
Good call. Never noticed it before, but the similarity is obvious now that you point it out.
That's why I love this board; no matter how many times I've heard the same songs, something new gets pointed out and totally changes things around for me!

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx