gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:38:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jon's new book  (Read 20210 times)
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 04, 2011, 11:48:44 AM »

Those 81 reviews left out part of the incident.. Dennis introduced BJ solo spot at end of intro he called Barry Mainilow some names stood on top of BJ piano and waived at everybody and turned around + shook his ass at crowd.. Funny thing was the whole crowd was laughing + Dennis had them in the palm of his hand..!! Dennis left and BJ did his song.. The whole band came back to play again and during 1st song Dennis kicked whole drum set off riser onto Mike.. Song came crashing to a halt.. They took a break then came back without Dennis.. Later Dennis came back onstage.. And yes that BW incident did happen also..Funny thing was ..That show was 10 times better than the Long Beach show. They sounded MUCH better..I dont think Bw had any problems with Microphone either.. He started to sing and then asked Bruce for help.. happened more than once..In My Room in particular.. I dont tell this tale to put down BB.. I think they are the greatest R+R band from America..PERIOD.!!!!!!.. But it is a matter of public record..Paul
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2011, 12:59:42 PM »

Dennis also had the audience in the palm of his hand in Oakland (I think 1976) when he looked out into the crowd and said in a very low tone close to the mic:

"Look at all the big t*ts."   Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 07, 2011, 12:15:28 PM »

book arrived today. damn fine book you wrote mr. stebbins! interesting and enjoyable reading.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 07, 2011, 10:28:25 PM »

I just randomly found it as I always scan for BB books at my local Books a Million...(usually there's no BB books at all) So I was ultimately surprised when I saw this (what looks to be) great book. I'm taking it to work with me tomorrow, prolly get a big chunk read. It's amazing, I had some different writings I wanted to throw together and one of them is VERY similar, almost scary, was an article on the Beach Boys and Beatles connection (through songs) such as their performing of Imagine, the Back in the USSR connection, Here There and Everywhere, etc.

BTW, thanks for the shout out to the message board!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 07, 2011, 11:27:40 PM »

Umm.. that BW story about sound system being FUNKY.. I dont buy,, I was there.. The Reason HE swatted the mike + asked for help from Bruce is because BW couldnt do the vocals like the record.... couple weeks before long beach there was same reaction..BW was on stage without Carl.. Tryin to sing Carl + Al"s part.. BW was pissed off ..!!He couldnt do it + nobody came to his aid till he requested it..  I will NEVER understand how they could leave him naked out there + not cover up what he couldnt do.... All the slow songs started with a BW vocal.. When somebody else {Bruce} should have done it.... Sorry i was there + thats my opinion..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 09, 2011, 08:27:10 AM »

book arrived today. damn fine book you wrote mr. stebbins! interesting and enjoyable reading.
Thanks
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 09, 2011, 08:31:59 AM »

I just randomly found it as I always scan for BB books at my local Books a Million...(usually there's no BB books at all) So I was ultimately surprised when I saw this (what looks to be) great book. I'm taking it to work with me tomorrow, prolly get a big chunk read. It's amazing, I had some different writings I wanted to throw together and one of them is VERY similar, almost scary, was an article on the Beach Boys and Beatles connection (through songs) such as their performing of Imagine, the Back in the USSR connection, Here There and Everywhere, etc.

Good to hear its in a store that normally has no Beach Boys books, I wish I could have spent more time on the Beatles Beach Boys connections and mutual admiration.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 10, 2011, 10:50:24 AM »

Good to hear its in a store that normally has no Beach Boys books, I wish I could have spent more time on the Beatles Beach Boys connections and mutual admiration.
So far, great read!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: October 11, 2011, 03:12:54 PM »

Mine arrived today! Looks great and I'll start to read it tonight. Congratulations Jon!

Surfing Moose
Smiley Smile Associate

violation of §12: failing to surf...

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 13, 2011, 09:55:58 AM »

Mr Stebbins,
I just finished the book, it was a very enjoyable reading and I can and will recommend this fine piece of work. I especially liked the "What's Wrong?"and "No Go Showboat" chapters, not expecting them in a book apparently written by a fan and not a neutral music journalist. It seems that your book "Dennis Wilson: The Real Beach Boy" is out of print, I hope it will be published again in the future. If so, I'll promise you, I'll be the first to buy it.

The whole Beach Boys reading experience made me even more waiting for Oct 28th, when SMilE is at last published after all those years...
 Smiley

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 13, 2011, 04:08:42 PM »

Real quick, I have a brief question:
in the Today section of the book (page 54 I believe); Jon states that "the ending has a semi-psychedelic string fade that was ahead of its time"...my question is: is that fade really considered partially psychedelic? I'm not questioning Jon's approach...but do you really think it is?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 13, 2011, 04:13:32 PM »

in the Today section of the book (page 54 I believe); Jon states that "the ending has a semi-psychedelic string fade that was ahead of its time"...my question is: is that fade really considered partially psychedelic? I'm not questioning Jon's approach...but do you really think it is?
I was only 8 years old at the time, but that ending was the first piece of music that blew my mind. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 13, 2011, 04:58:17 PM »

I was only 8 years old at the time, but that ending was the first piece of music that blew my mind. Wink
I can see why

For years, I only knew songs from the very first greatest hits album (Best of the Beach Boys), yes, the one released right after Pet Sounds (with the oddly thrown in tune: Louie Louie, which I love because of this album!), which was on an 8-track and later had a cassette of Still Cruisin.....so that's what BB stuff I knew by age 14...then, in 2000 or so, I bought BB GH (20 More Good Vibrations) which introduced me to Please Let Me Wonder, Caroline No, Little Girl I Once Knew, (I already knew H&V which I thought was weird but awesome), and then Wild Honey, Darlin, Bluebirds, Do it Again, I can Hear Music, CottonFields, and Breakaway...which blew me away, especially Please Let Me Wonder...I can't believe I didn't know that for years!

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 13, 2011, 05:03:06 PM »

and I'm not saying it's not psychedelic but I'm lacking in the very interesting genre of psychedelicacy besides very well know Beatles, BB, Monkees, and basic oldies you hear on the radio...so I'm not too good at identifying that kinda stuff...Let alone, I thought the song Wild Honey was psychedelic  Wink

I just didn't consider any of the side psychedelic...most it, I considered Phil Bacharach, er, I mean Burt Spector.  Grin

~post of the century~
-Mikie

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 13, 2011, 05:23:30 PM »

and I'm not saying it's not psychedelic but I'm lacking in the very interesting genre of psychedelicacy besides very well know Beatles, BB, Monkees, and basic oldies you hear on the radio...so I'm not too good at identifying that kinda stuff...Let alone, I thought the song Wild Honey was psychedelic  Wink

I just didn't consider any of the side psychedelic...most it, I considered Phil Bacharach, er, I mean Burt Spector.  Grin
For that period in 1965, that ending certainly was not typical of a rock ballad. So, if it is not quite psychedelic, it was damn close to what was to come by the end of the year and through the next.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 13, 2011, 08:41:57 PM »

For that period in 1965, that ending certainly was not typical of a rock ballad. So, if it is not quite psychedelic, it was damn close to what was to come by the end of the year and through the next.
Exactly. A harbinger perhaps. Call it neo-psychedelic, impressionistic, or avante-garde...no matter, the last seconds of "In The Back Of My Mind" was a little weird, and ahead of its time.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2011, 09:31:53 PM »

Exactly. A harbinger perhaps. Call it neo-psychedelic, impressionistic, or avante-garde...no matter, the last seconds of "In The Back Of My Mind" was a little weird, and ahead of its time.
good call....just read passed the Good Vibes chapter....it's good stuff Jon

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 19, 2011, 01:24:10 PM »

I just finished an interview with iconfetch this morning. Tony asked some great questions, and he seems very enthusiastic about the upcoming Smile release and the Beach Boys history in general. Alan Boyd's interview will be up on their site next, and then mine should be up there in a week or so after that.

http://iconfetch.com/great-music-interviews/upcoming-shows/420-beach-boys-faq-jon-stevvins-author-interview.html
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: October 19, 2011, 01:31:20 PM »

Jon Stevvins ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 19, 2011, 01:43:50 PM »

Jon Stevvins ?
At least they got it right on the site.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 19, 2011, 02:22:58 PM »

Just put my copy on hold at my local Barn's N Noble!

I'm happily supporting my local bookstore while they still exist!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 02:24:06 PM by Erik H » Logged
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 19, 2011, 03:24:01 PM »

Mr. Stebbins: Any word on the e-book edition yet? I'm a weirdo & don't like buying paperbacks. I figure, why chop down the trees and waste the ink when we already have computers? I'm sure I'll break down and buy the paperback eventually if your book isn't released online, but I'd really prefer the other option...
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 19, 2011, 03:58:21 PM »

Mr. Stebbins: Any word on the e-book edition yet? I'm a weirdo & don't like buying paperbacks. I figure, why chop down the trees and waste the ink when we already have computers? I'm sure I'll break down and buy the paperback eventually if your book isn't released online, but I'd really prefer the other option...
I really appreciate your interest, and I forward all requests like yours directly to the publisher. They are a bit vague on the timing of a digital version...the print version is finally getting released in the UK in the next couple of weeks. I'd imagine that soon after the initial big wave of hard copies have sold that a digital download format will then become available. I hope I'm right.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 19, 2011, 05:13:06 PM »

Released in the UK on the 15th of November, according to Amazon!

Hope my meagre finances allow me to pick one of these up. Who needs food, anyway....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: October 20, 2011, 08:34:37 AM »

Just received my copy. It looks very nice. I'll start reading soon - probably while having In Concert on the stereo. It's good to have an up-to-date book fr the 50th anniversary written by someone who knows what he's talking/writing about. I also look forward to Mike Eder's book and the other one by *I'm very sorry, I forgot your name*.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 08:36:31 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx