gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 08:15:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summer in Paradise  (Read 20532 times)
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2011, 09:45:19 AM »

Incase anyone wants a cheap US SIP in the UK: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320761298088?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2011, 11:52:12 AM »

I can't imagine why people would refuse to listen - just once! - to an album made by one of their favorite artists.  Roll Eyes

Judge for yourself, ferchrissakes.

It is precisely because I love the Beach Boys that I refuse to listen to this album.

In the same way as if I had a good friend who died in a horrific car accident. I wouldn't want to see their mangled, unrecognisable corpse. I'd want to rememebr them how they were.

Now I'm sure everyone gets my metaphor here, but I'll put it bluntly, just because this will be a fun setence to write.

Summer In Paradise is the horribly maimed, putrid, repugant rotten corpse of The Beach Boys recording career.

I stop at Love You and venture no further.

What a terribly stupid post. Do you judge other things in your life this way, as well? Another person to add to my ITF list.

Oh no, not your ITF list!!!!! The ignamy...

Basically I know what I like out of thr Beach Boys.

I like the initiial BW period, a creative ark from Surfin Safari to Friends.

I like the middle period, from 20 20 to Holland,

I like Love You, the last suprise form Brian.

After that the magic leaves it. The vitality has gone. Ther Beach Boys are, from this point on, just in for the money.

Anything after Love You makes me feel sad. I'm sure MIU, LA and 85, and even SIP have their moments, but thay are moments I can live without.

I hated Kokomo, and Still Cruising, so I avoided SIP

Not really stupid, I just know what I like, and I know what I don't like, sometimes without having to hear it.

Just my opinion, sorry if this offends you huge SIP fans, and please remove me from your ITF list, or I shall be forceed to add you to my NOBHEAD list

« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 11:53:15 AM by Iron Horse-Apples » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2011, 12:13:10 PM »

If you listened to SIP and then said that you didn't like it, then no problem. To say that you think it is putrid and have never heard it? How can I trust your opinion on any subject when I know there is nothing behind it. Overall, as a full album, yes, it is their worst. There are a few songs on it that for me, make it worth owning. I can state this opinion with the certainty that I've listened to it and made an informed judgment.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2011, 02:06:42 PM »

If you listened to SIP and then said that you didn't like it, then no problem. To say that you think it is putrid and have never heard it? How can I trust your opinion on any subject when I know there is nothing behind it. Overall, as a full album, yes, it is their worst. There are a few songs on it that for me, make it worth owning. I can state this opinion with the certainty that I've listened to it and made an informed judgment.

OK, can we leave this now.

Firstly it was a tongue in cheek post centred around Hypehat's hilarious review. I can think of things far more offensive than calling SIP putrid.

Secondly though, I do think it's possible to have an opinion on something you have not experienced, based on prior knowledge and personal taste.

I'm not a fan of Mike Love's version of the Beach Boys, so therefore I can safely say I would not like SIP, despite having not heard it. Also I have read enough first  hand accounts and survivors stories from those who have heard it, from which to make an informed decision.

I'm truly sorry if I've offended you, though I never cease to be amazed by how seriously some people take this board. Life is too short.

Smiley
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2011, 08:46:58 PM »

I can't imagine why people would refuse to listen - just once! - to an album made by one of their favorite artists.  Roll Eyes

It is precisely because I love the Beach Boys that I refuse to listen to this album.

In the same way as if I had a good friend who died in a horrific car accident. I wouldn't want to see their mangled, unrecognisable corpse. I'd want to rememebr them how they were.

Now I'm sure everyone gets my metaphor here, but I'll put it bluntly, just because this will be a fun setence to write.

Summer In Paradise is the horribly maimed, putrid, repugant rotten corpse of The Beach Boys recording career.

What a terribly stupid post. Do you judge other things in your life this way, as well? Another person to add to my ITF list.

"ITF"?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2011, 09:00:16 PM »

No, it's true, going no further than Love You is the most sensible thing. I'm glad Iron-Horse Apples and I at least are in agreement.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2011, 10:47:29 PM »

Not really stupid, I just know what I like, and I know what I don't like, sometimes without having to hear it.

Hmm.

There's a difference between not having much interest in something, because you're fairly certain you wouldn't like it, and saying the work in question IS something you dislike. I don't buy Celine Dion albums, because I'm pretty sure they're treacle-y crap. But I don't think I'd want to say that her work would never, ever appeal to me. I might be surprised someday.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2011, 12:02:31 AM »

No, it's true, going no further than Love You is the most sensible thing. I'm glad Iron-Horse Apples and I at least are in agreement.

Hey, I agree with everyone, just wish I could be paid the same courtesy.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2011, 12:30:37 AM »

Love You (while probably their last brilliant one from start to finish) is a tad bit too early I think.

Light Album still has a couple of truly great moments on par with some of the stuff on Holland and no fan of BW's earlier efforts is going to regret hearing "My Diane" on M.I.U.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2011, 01:33:04 AM »

I can't imagine why people would refuse to listen - just once! - to an album made by one of their favorite artists.  Roll Eyes

"ITF"?
I believe it stands for "Ignore This F*cker"

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2011, 01:39:37 AM »

So, it is not worth listening to My Diane, Good Timin', Angel Come Home, Baby Blue, Goin' On, etc.? That's being pretty narrow-minded.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2011, 02:01:31 AM »

So, it is not worth listening to My Diane, Good Timin', Angel Come Home, Baby Blue, Goin' On, etc.? That's being pretty narrow-minded.

Calling someone narrow minded for not sharing your tastes is a step in a dangerous direction Dr.

Shall we just agree to disagree and leave it at that?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 21, 2011, 02:06:27 AM »

Calling someone narrow minded for not sharing your tastes is a step in a dangerous direction Dr.

No. It is narrow-minded to say you don't like something that you never tried. Dangerous? Are you calling me out? Put up your dukes. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2011, 02:10:50 AM »

No. It is narrow-minded to say you don't like something that you never tried. Dangerous? Are you calling me out? Put up your dukes. Wink
Grin
I'd never hit a fellow BB fan. It's an inbuilt survival of the species thing. Now can you please remove me from your list. I didn't sleep a wink last night because of that.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2011, 02:14:54 AM »

I'm with you on the no or little sleep. I've had all of 3 1/2 hrs. tonight. I'm posting this at 5:14 in the morning.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2011, 02:24:17 AM »

I'm with you on the no or little sleep. I've had all of 3 1/2 hrs. tonight. I'm posting this at 5:14 in the morning.

Melatonin's good. Over the counter in the states too.
mtaber
« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2011, 03:42:17 AM »

SIP continues to be the worst album I've never heard...
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2011, 03:47:52 AM »

if this album came out today and Brian played on the tracks but it otherwise sounded exactly the same, people would be going apeshit over it.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 21, 2011, 04:18:58 AM »

if this album came out today and Brian played on the tracks but it otherwise sounded exactly the same, people would be going apesh*t over it.
Yep, the lack of Brian's participation greatly depreciates it's value. Personally, I find some redeeming value in all of their albums from 15 Big Ones onward.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
theCOD
« Reply #94 on: September 21, 2011, 04:24:51 AM »

if this album came out today and Brian played on the tracks but it otherwise sounded exactly the same, people would be going apesh*t over it.

Yeah, remember how everyone went apesh*t over GIOMH? Brian's best work since Pet Sounds, and further proof that he doesn't need The Beach Boys.

Hop on over to the Disney thread to see people going apesh*t over his most recent release.
MBE
« Reply #95 on: September 21, 2011, 04:33:42 AM »

Yeah, remember how everyone went apesh*t over GIOMH? Brian's best work since Pet Sounds, and further proof that he doesn't need The Beach Boys.

Hop on over to the Disney thread to see people going apesh*t over his most recent release.
Yup. I like some of Brian's solo stuff but honestly his covers leave me cold. For really cool Brian Wilson non Beach Boys stuff just listen to his 1962-73 productions. Those are killer.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: September 21, 2011, 04:57:49 AM »

I'm sure if GIOMH was a Beach Boys album people would like it a lot more.

Nicko1234
« Reply #97 on: September 21, 2011, 05:17:25 AM »

Not if it featured the same abysmal vocals and lyrics they wouldn't.
theCOD
« Reply #98 on: September 21, 2011, 05:56:10 AM »

I highly doubt it.

I've never seen Brian blindly praised on any forum other than the Blueboard. If anything, hardcore BB/BW fans are overly critical of his work.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 21, 2011, 11:07:35 PM »

Uh, I think those tracks are fine enough but I'm rarely ever seriously in the mood to listen to them. They're not that good to me, you know? They're good for latter-day Beach Boys offerings but that's not exactly high praise...
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx