gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681028 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 09:33:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GOOD VIBRATIONS promo video ex-ci-ta-tions  (Read 48305 times)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: September 09, 2011, 02:25:18 AM »

Now now, sarcasm is the lowest form of humour.....  Grin

No sarcasm.  Seriously - where would we be?
Their is a core of people who have kept the BB torch lit.  AGD is one of them. Jon Stebbins, Ed Roach, ..........

++++++++
Besides, AGD said I wasn't very good at sarcasm.  I have to agree.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 02:26:43 AM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 09, 2011, 06:36:05 AM »

I`m taking bets for the Andrew G. Doe vs. SurfRiderHawaii grudge match. LET`S GET READY TO RUUUMBLE!! LOL

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 09, 2011, 06:43:11 AM »

In all seriousness, they should have a world trivia contest of Beach Boy fans. I'm placing my bets on AGD to win because he knows so much to point where the band should pay him as official historian.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: September 09, 2011, 11:51:38 AM »

It's great to find out the identity of the mystery man in the film with the camera and shades: Jules! Great stuff - that will put the Bob Gordan (or Gordon...) speculation to rest for good. Not that he still isn't one of the more mysterious figures in the saga.

And much thanks again for the Jules info, as well as updated info on the various locations of the film shoot. That means a lot to me as it's something I've been curious about for about 10 years, since I first saw it. So a big thanks, and I hope to see and get more info out there as it becomes available.

Jules' statement about a TV station in Philly: That is intriguing. I have to look into that, it may be something connected to Philly DJ Jerry Blavat, known as "The Geator" who had a TV show. The Monkees were on a Philly TV music show promoting Head in '68, maybe that's the same one?

I thought the film was targeted to UK television as the BB's were going there on the big tour, and that's why in the US at least it is sometimes labeled "unreleased"...which is true but only for the US, so it seems.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: September 09, 2011, 11:55:36 AM »

It is also surprising to see how some locations in the film have stayed pretty much the same from 1966 to the present, despite all of the development and various renewal/revival efforts that usually change the look of an area. It's kind of eerie and fascinating looking at the same buildings as they were 45 years ago captured on film, for me at least.

And anyone who watches the TV show "Storage Wars", the fire station museum was featured in a recent episode where two buyers took some antique firefighting equipment and memorabilia to an expert at the museum to have them authenticated. Pretty neat to see the old building in light of all the film discussion here.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: September 09, 2011, 06:11:33 PM »

Haven't been paying attention but this thread is awesome because I just learned that the girl in the GV film is Barbara Rovell(thanks Jon Stebbins).

What's sooo cool about this is the color RED, and I have to also add that Brian's bio fits into this as well(sorry anti bio at all cost gang).

Holy crap! See how the red represents Brian's fire trip?Huh!!! Come on folks.

How cool!!!! How freakin' cool!!!!

"Connect, Always Connect..." - Arthur Koestler

"No discovery has ever been made by logical deduction..." - Arthur Koestler
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: September 09, 2011, 06:31:44 PM »

Cuz Barbara was part of Bri's fire trip experience (if one is to believe--or even entertain the possibility of-- the Barbara/2nd trip part of the bio).

"Connect, Always Connect..." - Arthur Koestler

"No discovery has ever been made by logical deduction..." - Arthur Koestler
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 09, 2011, 09:06:34 PM »

OK - I'll ask Brian.
Check, and mate.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: September 09, 2011, 09:14:25 PM »

Haven't been paying attention but this thread is awesome because I just learned that the girl in the GV film is Barbara Rovell(thanks Jon Stebbins).

What's sooo cool about this is the color RED, and I have to also add that Brian's bio fits into this as well(sorry anti bio at all cost gang).

We haven't gotten proof that it was Barbara yet, but hopefully soon that will be cleared up.

Bill, I remember we had some good discussions on this film when the only source was VHS tape. Youtube is pretty cool.  Grin

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 09, 2011, 09:18:13 PM »

Thanks to "Been Too Long" and "The Other Anonymous":

That freeway on-ramp seems to have been a key location for filming. I never would have guessed that. It's too bad so many trees and shrubs are blocking the same angles they had in '66, I enjoy doing then-and-now comparisons of streets and towns like this. Geek central indeed! Grin

You and me both!

Now how about that grassy knoll in Dallas? Grin
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: September 09, 2011, 09:38:44 PM »

You and me both!

Ah yes, the grassy knoll! Smiley I watch every program and documentary I come across about those things, and every time they show modern shots of those places, it's so odd how certain places and parts of the landscape seem frozen in time.

For all of the progress and rebuilding around Los Angeles and Hollywood, that odd-shaped apartment building is still standing. It's an odd thing that whatever they boarded up in front as of '66 still seems boarded up, if that's what it is, and I'm guessing there are still tenants living there. Enjoying having the 101 freeway a stone's throw away, I'm sure.

I wonder what the original tenants in '66 thought of a group of rock musicians wearing firehats and coats running outside their pad looking like the Marx Brothers?
"Is that those damn Monkees kids filming here again?"
"No, the one with the beard said they're the Beach Boys."
"Oh."
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 09:41:53 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 09, 2011, 10:40:54 PM »

Looking at google earth, there does seem to be a studio behind the apartments which may have been the case in 66. May have been a someone involved with the studio who lived/ owned there.

edit. Not a recording studio after a quick search but a lot in the area back in the day.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 10:48:09 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 09, 2011, 10:41:33 PM »

Don't get me started on the grassy knoll and the Kennedy assassination!  How much time you got?

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/texas/dallas/dealeyplaza/index.php?goto=live
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 10:45:08 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 09, 2011, 10:45:18 PM »

I don't want to start a new thread for this, and since we're discussing one aspect of Good Vibrations, i'll ask here: does anyone know who played the jew's harp on the recording?

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: September 09, 2011, 11:05:32 PM »

The fire hats are red too ! And so is the fire engine !!!  Can you believe that ?

And Brian's shirt is... blue ? Ah, I know, that represents the water putting the fire out. Yeah.

The girl's shorts are white ! So is snow, and snow's just frozen water, right !

Sorry Bill, all it means is that morning she picked a red top out of the closet that day..

More important to me is the question - is that ball made by Wilson, or not ?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 11:07:08 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: September 09, 2011, 11:06:55 PM »

Tommy Morgan played Jew's Harp on Good Vibrations.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 09, 2011, 11:15:02 PM »

And now, if you don't mind, I have 5 CDs to ponder over.  Grin
Wall  Ahhh! Ahhh!

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 09, 2011, 11:28:20 PM »

AGD, Jay's trying to get your attention.  Not sure, but uh, I think he likes you.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: September 09, 2011, 11:31:23 PM »

AGD, Jay's trying to get your attention.  Not sure, but uh, I think he likes you.

Someone needs to.  Cheesy

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 09, 2011, 11:32:18 PM »

Have to admit, the avatar is rather eye catching.  Wink

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 09, 2011, 11:42:51 PM »

Jay, if you're not careful, you're gonna become one of those idolizing minions of AGD's like Surfrider was describing earlier.  Grin

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 10, 2011, 02:05:37 AM »

But what about the vinyl?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 10, 2011, 02:07:58 AM »

Jay, if you're not careful, you're gonna become one of those idolizing minions of AGD's like Surfrider was describing earlier.  Grin

We all just love him for his body, anyways. The occasional bit of Beach Boy trivia is a bonus!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: September 10, 2011, 02:10:21 AM »

But what about the vinyl?

I don't have a turntable.  Grin

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 10, 2011, 02:42:50 AM »

Crap, Jay, got me!  I'm just sitting hear waiting for that coconut wireless info back from Brian.

I'm sure AGD would, in fact,  ask him if he had the chance but I imagine they are both too busy for such trivial things.

Obviously Brian is keeping crazy busy right now.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx