gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681497 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 08, 2024, 09:03:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SPOILER!!- Heroes and Villains and Good Vibrations from TSS  (Read 97049 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: September 04, 2011, 04:01:18 AM »

I can confirm that that little sound is on my copy as well, Father is not crazy!
Also on mine -  a millisecond it is, a mere millisecond. Barely even a shadow. But it's there.

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 04, 2011, 04:39:33 AM »

People are posting waveforms? I hope Smiley Smile isn't turning into the SteveHoffman forum  Tongue

Yeah - be very careful or Capitol will pitch a hissyfit, threaten to pull the set and then I'll have to lie to you for them to keep everything on track. Happened before y'know.  Wink

LOL LOL LOL

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #377 on: September 04, 2011, 07:54:04 AM »

It's a Trombone before the beginning. No strings attached though like at the end of the track. (Some neat pun there, isn't it? Cheesy)

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 04, 2011, 08:32:26 AM »

It's a Trombone before the beginning. No strings attached though like at the end of the track. (Some neat pun there, isn't it? Cheesy)

Funny how we can find all these little "pieces" hidden in one mp3!

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #379 on: September 04, 2011, 09:20:59 AM »

Once again, I have posted a wave form PROVING THAT THERE'S NOTHING BUT DEAD SILENCE BEFORE THE WORD "I've". I can listen as closely as I want a billion times and as loudly as I want so I can hear it, and I have a good pair of ears -- and as you can see by the wave form, it is not on my copy, PERIOD.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: September 04, 2011, 10:12:12 AM »

Once again, I have posted a wave form PROVING THAT THERE'S NOTHING BUT DEAD SILENCE BEFORE THE WORD "I've". I can listen as closely as I want a billion times and as loudly as I want so I can hear it, and I have a good pair of ears -- and as you can see by the wave form, it is not on my copy, PERIOD.
Sweet melt!
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: September 04, 2011, 10:33:47 AM »

Well,  the strings drop out before the ending of the trombone anyway, so there would be no way to tell, but i'll bet a million dollars that it won't have the strings. I kind of like the idea of using the trombone to start and end the track. I wonder if there was a vintage Brian edit that did it that way.

I looked at the picture you posted and the 0:00 marker is out of screen. You have the play head at 0.07. Put the play head at 0.00 and zoom in all the way. Also, don't get too excited, this is much ado about nothing.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #382 on: September 04, 2011, 11:09:38 AM »

Mea culpa - I was trusting Soundforge, that showed a flat waveform (see screencap in previous page, and zooming didn't change anything), and my crappy laptop speakers.

After closer inspection (a 1000% volume boost finally revealed a wave), and with headphones, there's definitely 00:00:00,085 of some sound that shouldn't be here. That's less than a tenth of a second, and quite frankly I don't think we should read anything into that. I don't even know why I'm talking about it  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 11:11:42 AM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
pobbard
Smiley Smile Associate

My ultimate guilty pleasure

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 04, 2011, 11:17:31 AM »

It's not on my copy, either. Instead, just before "H&V" starts, I faintly hear about 8 minutes of music that I'm unfamiliar with. Sounds like Brian & the boys singing an intricate song about the elements (sample lyric: "Earth, Water, Air, Fire / A hall so costly will inspire"?), set to the tune of "Rio Grande", with the "Johnny Carson" riff running throughout it. Hard to hear but definitely there. Strange.

Razz
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 04, 2011, 01:45:37 PM »

There is definitely something there, but I couldn't say for certain what it is. It's got a center frequency of about 817 - 823 Hz.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 04, 2011, 02:09:48 PM »

It's on my copy - and I probably downloaded mine much later than everyone else (in response to the idea that Capitol possibly switched the tracks).

I just loaded the file into Logic....there's definitely a pattern there...it's almost unrecognizable by this program. I zoomed in on the 0 second mark to 0.1.2.43 - clipped the rest of the track off, turned the volume way up - it sounds a heckuva lot like the tail-end of a trombone flutter. Just my two cents.
_____

Anyone here actually going to enter the music-video contest?

I'm thinking about it - although the concept I have in mind would be quite the undertaking - but it's sooooo tempting!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 02:14:25 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 04, 2011, 02:23:34 PM »

Just took the new 'Good Vibrations' into Logic on a whim: I isolated the first .0075 seconds of the track and there's also the tail end of something there...it could be from 'Prayer' - an assumption based off of the fact that BWPS was used as a template.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
JDShadow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 04, 2011, 04:42:46 PM »

..after hearing 4 tracks from the SMiLE Sessions that I've been able to find, I must say to Brian, the Boys, Mark Linett, Alan Boyd and anyone else deserving credit--BRAVO!

It's Automatic...
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 04, 2011, 06:50:48 PM »

Just took the new 'Good Vibrations' into Logic on a whim: I isolated the first .0075 seconds of the track and there's also the tail end of something there...it could be from 'Prayer' - an assumption based off of the fact that BWPS was used as a template.

Lol, I thought you were kidding!

MP3 of the now ABSOLUTELY LEAKED OUR PRAYER: http://www.mediafire.com/?z61beb3j4553bnw
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 07:17:30 PM by FatherOfTheMan » Logged

monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 04, 2011, 07:08:47 PM »

How does that link work? Nothing's happening. There is nothing. Nothing is there. Nothing. A black void. Our prayer?

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: September 04, 2011, 07:17:43 PM »

oops, haha try it AGAIN!

monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: September 04, 2011, 07:21:49 PM »

Ok, that one i really can't make out, it's like half the length of the other one, haa. But it doesn't sound like the timbre of voices to me. I think it's something other than the Our Prayer reprise?

EDIT: Oh, but it is the same pitch as the fundamental of the last chord of the reprise.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 07:25:21 PM by monicker » Logged

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: September 04, 2011, 07:24:17 PM »

haha that's it! All 10.78Kb of harmonic glory!!! LOL

monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: September 04, 2011, 07:26:13 PM »

WHAT THE f*** ARE WE DOING?

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #394 on: September 04, 2011, 11:24:01 PM »

Ahhh...okay, so if I do some serious volume boosting, then I can see it and hear it....but HOW ON EARTH WERE YOU ABLE TO DETECT THAT?!!? Seriously....that's nuts!

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: September 05, 2011, 01:41:04 AM »

WHAT THE f*ck ARE WE DOING?

We're mutating into the Son Of Hoffmann's Board, by common consent. Didn't you know? The mods will emigrate to Tuvalu, for authenticity reasons. Anyone wanting to talk about the music will immediately get a lifetime ban.

Key words: Hertz, Watt, waveform, clipping, compression, bi-wiring, and tin foil.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: September 05, 2011, 01:55:13 AM »

Lol, I thought you were kidding!

MP3 of the now ABSOLUTELY LEAKED OUR PRAYER: http://www.mediafire.com/?z61beb3j4553bnw

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: September 05, 2011, 04:08:53 AM »

Ok, that one i really can't make out, it's like half the length of the other one, haa. But it doesn't sound like the timbre of voices to me. I think it's something other than the Our Prayer reprise?

EDIT: Oh, but it is the same pitch as the fundamental of the last chord of the reprise.

Hmm same fundamental as the Our Prayer reprise ending on BWPS. But that doesn't really have anything to do with The Beach Boys' SMiLE, does it?

Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: September 05, 2011, 04:33:37 AM »

Well, we don't know that for sure, do we? I mean, I don't know anything any more than the next man, but there are certainly contemporary reports of Brian playing acetates of Prayer last in a sequence at dinner parties (thanks to Jules Siegel)... and there's that version of Prayer - on the December comp reel, was it? - that had the penultimate section snipped from it. Almost as if that part was being saved for another part of the album...?

This is nothing more than speculation, of course, but I'm just saying - we don't know that Prayer wasn't going to be reprised at the end of SMiLE in one of the many versions that may have passed through Brian's head from Summer 66 to Summer 67. We certainly can't say that it definitely wasn't an intention. But of course, you can say that about so many parts of SMiLE...

MattB
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 05, 2011, 04:54:36 AM »

Well, we don't know that for sure, do we? I mean, I don't know anything any more than the next man, but there are certainly contemporary reports of Brian playing acetates of Prayer last in a sequence at dinner parties (thanks to Jules Siegel)... and there's that version of Prayer - on the December comp reel, was it? - that had the penultimate section snipped from it. Almost as if that part was being saved for another part of the album...?

This is nothing more than speculation, of course, but I'm just saying - we don't know that Prayer wasn't going to be reprised at the end of SMiLE in one of the many versions that may have passed through Brian's head from Summer 66 to Summer 67. We certainly can't say that it definitely wasn't an intention. But of course, you can say that about so many parts of SMiLE...

MattB

Oh, I'm not denying that there might have been a Our Prayer reprise planned for SMiLE, but you'd think it would be in the same key as Our Prayer original if so. My point is that just because the millisecond of sound heard before the start of GV has the same fundamental key as the ending of Our Prayer reprise on BWPS, that doesn't necessarily mean anything.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 04:56:00 AM by tansen » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx