gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:08:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Now that smile is being released..  (Read 12982 times)
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2011, 02:23:49 PM »

what do you think will be the album to take it's place as the most famous unreleased album of all times..I  want to throw in Jan Berry's version of "filet of soul","get back" (with original mixes/concept) or "carnival of light" (both by the Beatles) as contenders..any thoughts?
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 02:45:31 PM »

The Who - Lifehouse

puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 02:47:45 PM »

Carnival of Light will probably be the next fuss
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 02:51:45 PM by clasclas » Logged
Jason
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 02:48:43 PM »

The Beach Boys - Smile

My reasoning? It was never finished. Therefore it's unreleased. We're getting a box set of the sessions. Period.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 02:50:07 PM »

The Who - Lifehouse
The whole concept behind that album is totally insane. Pete Townshend during that period was 20 times crazier than Brian. Finishing SMiLE is a cake walk compared to Lifehouse because Lifehouse CANNOT be finished as Pete wanted it in 1971.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 03:02:05 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
ghost
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 03:30:33 PM »

The Who - Lifehouse
The whole concept behind that album is totally insane. Pete Townshend during that period was 20 times crazier than Brian. Finishing SMiLE is a cake walk compared to Lifehouse because Lifehouse CANNOT be finished as Pete wanted it in 1971.

You'd have to be if you'd give up LSD for a fat Iranian mute.
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 03:41:51 PM »

The Who - Lifehouse

Just finished reading this book: http://www.richieunterberger.com/Who70s.html

Really interesting to get even more info about Lifehouse. Talk about an ambitious project!!

GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 03:48:22 PM »

Unreleased album ? Sweet Insanity fer sure...  LOL

Honestly, I don't know, I would like to think something that is releasable and good, such as David Bowie's album "Toy". In the words of Asia, Only time will tell.
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 07:04:42 PM »

All they could do with Lifehouse is release a comp of all the pertinent songs of the period.  I agree with the previous poster that there's no way it could be resurrected as Townshend envisioned it, because from what I gather, he expected miraculous sh*t to happen.  They could have made the movie, recorded the songs and left it at that, and it would have been cool - Townshend wanted something way beyond that though.
As regards Smile, there was no album, damn shame - cos it would have been big at the the time (and I don't care what anyone says - at THAT time, it would have been), but what we have (pr will have) is an awesome archival release - FINALLY! 
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 07:23:06 PM »

Folks, LIFEHOUSE was already released a decade ago...

http://www.amazon.com/Lifehouse-Chronicles-6-CD-Boxset-Townshend/dp/B004K4CSVG/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1314497946&sr=1-3

Multiple incarnations as well but the 6 CD box had everything.

And wasn't "Carnival of Light" just an 18 minute experimental sound collage?  Not really an album, right?
Dead Parrot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 07:46:15 PM »

How about the following. Bearing in mind you could probably start a decent sized thread on unreleased Neil Young albums......

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Human Highway
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 07:54:27 PM »

The Beach Boys - Smile

My reasoning? It was never finished. Therefore it's unreleased. We're getting a box set of the sessions. Period.

Exactly.  It amuses me just how much people are over-scrutinizing this release.  No matter how well they put these fragments together, there will still be noticeable holes were vocals should have been.  I think there well be more than a few people who walk away from this not completely satisfied.

And technically speaking, SMiLE did see an official release back in 2004...

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 09:11:16 PM »

The Beach Boys - Smile

Exactly.  It amuses me just how much people are over-scrutinizing this release.  No matter how well they put these fragments together, there will still be noticeable holes were vocals should have been.  I think there well be more than a few people who walk away from this not completely satisfied.

And technically speaking, SMiLE did see an official release back in 2004...
No incorrect BWPS was released.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 09:25:45 PM »

Adult/Child?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
thevigilanteoflove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 10:36:17 PM »

Weezer's "Songs from the Black Hole," or Get Back
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2011, 11:13:30 PM »

"'California Feeling,' With 'Lucy Jones' and Other Big Ones - The best of Brian Unbooted"  Grin
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2011, 12:03:51 AM »

Alright, I looked up the Who's album idea.  I'm not intelligent enough to understand what he was trying to do there, so instead I'm now going to focus on Weezer's unreleased album.

BTW, don't you think that Rivers' personality is the type, that he may eventually return to that album and complete it?  Also he does so much recording on his own, hell he's probably still got the tapes. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2011, 02:28:01 AM »

Excellent thread - I'll get back to you once I've finished running round in small circles gibbering and waving my arms in the air. 

Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh!

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2011, 06:10:43 AM »

How about Captain Beefheart's original Bat Chain Puller?

See http://www.beefheart.com/datharp/albums/boots/bcp.htm

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
thevigilanteoflove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2011, 06:22:18 AM »

Alright, I looked up the Who's album idea.  I'm not intelligent enough to understand what he was trying to do there, so instead I'm now going to focus on Weezer's unreleased album.

BTW, don't you think that Rivers' personality is the type, that he may eventually return to that album and complete it?  Also he does so much recording on his own, hell he's probably still got the tapes. 

I'm hoping for something like that. If anything he will probably release most of the songs in some compilation. Some of the demos have been released already.
ghost
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2011, 07:53:12 AM »

Lifehouse is a pretentious concept. I find Meher Baba and his fanboys nauseating. Any experience of communal harmony ['vibrating purely together'] is as useless, worthless, and meaningless as anything else as far all I care. reject God's Love - sorry big daddy {Meher baba}.
ghost
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2011, 07:57:52 AM »

pete never actually went far on acid at all although he thinks he did. he got into the persian gypsy too soon and stopped his progress. now he's just a monotheist dreaming of meher baba's stubdik every night praying to the guy/. wow, what a joke. oh meher baba you are so cool, god incarnate, wow!!!!

that's how crazy pete townshend is - forget al jardine singing songs to cute asian bitches, Townsend believes that a fat Iranian gypsy - WAS GOD. IS. STILL. somewhere.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2011, 09:47:04 AM »

The Who - Lifehouse

Townshend had a very good system working, and with "Lifehouse Sampler" he actually created a series of questions that'd write you YOUR OWN One note!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 09:49:26 AM by FatherOfTheMan » Logged

Dead Parrot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2011, 10:46:44 AM »

Lifehouse is a pretentious concept.

It may be, but any album that would have included "Won't Get Fooled Again", " Pure & Easy", "Baba O'Reilly", "Join Together", "Greyhound Girl", and "Relay", would have been f***ing incredible, regardless of how much a "pretentious concept" it is.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2011, 10:48:15 AM »

Lifehouse is a pretentious concept.

It may be, but any album that would have included "Won't Get Fooled Again", " Pure & Easy", "Baba O'Reilly", "Join Together", "Greyhound Girl", and "Relay", would have been f***ing incredible, regardless of how much a "pretentious concept" it is.

It was actually gonna have Sister Disco and Who Are You on it too lol.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx