gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:27:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Jon Stebbins Thread  (Read 139785 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 07, 2006, 12:52:41 PM »

Ask Jon Stebbins questions here.  Can't guarantee he'll answer, but you never know!

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 02:38:13 PM »

SO - just to get everyone up to speed here...

What's this new book I hear you're working on, and when is it coming out??

AB
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 10:53:06 PM »

Hi Jon, Jason Penick here.  I met you at the Dennis Wilson bash at Chez Jay.  I was wondering what the status was regarding a remixed re-issue of Pacific Ocean Blue, and if a Dennis Wilson box set has been proposed or is in the works.  Everybody really wants to hear "Wouldn't It Be Nice/ To Live Again".  police

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 02:17:28 AM »

And i'm wondering all that, plus this: How's the Chez Jay book coming?

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 07:47:21 AM »

SO - just to get everyone up to speed here...

What's this new book I hear you're working on, and when is it coming out??

AB

Hi Alan,
As you know I've spent the last year and a half writing something called "The Lost Beach Boy"...an authorized biography on the life of David Marks. The book is a VERY candid look at the journey Dave has taken through life. I would think any Beach Boy fan will enjoy the inside perspective one gets as eight-year old David moves in across the street from the Wilsons in 1956 and becomes their daily companion for most of the next decade. One gets a great sense of the Wilsons in the pre-BB's years through David's recollections. Brian was his hero, who taught him how to throw a football, Carl was his pal who discovered the guitar and rock and roll with him, and Dennis was the "Indian guide" who gave David an unending string of unforgettable experiences and taught Dave about life...for better or worse. This all happens before the word "Surfin'" is ever uttered.

And then there's the BB's years... the early sessions, the early hits, the first tours. The book gives a very detailed look at what went on inside the band in 1962 and 1963. We had access to Elmer Marks journals as Beach Boys tour manager, Jo Ann Marks records of gigs, locations dates, even attendance records and payment records for many gigs. We have some pretty amazing photos ad memorabilia of the Beach Boys during this period...the book should have over 100 photos, and in general will be very entertaining in a visual way. One thing that becomes obvious while looking through these old concert photos is that Dave sang a lot, and Al played bass a lot...two things we rarely hear about. There are plenty of revelations and new perspectives for BB's fans to argue about for years to come. And once Dave and Murry begin butting heads, and Dave's early tenure with the boys plays out...the story actually gets better. The years 1964 - 1973 are the book's most interesting in my opinion...that's when Dave's roller coaster ride really hits speed. And I'll warn anyone who "just wants the innocence"...don't read this book.

The years from the mid seventies to today are mostly a tale of addiction, recovery, survival, and re-connection. The various Beach Boys show up regularly throughout the story...and a new perspective is given on the '97 - '99 period as well. All in all, I'm very proud of it, and I think it will entertain anyone who reads it...unless Murry gets a copy...he might not like it so much.

The book is currently being edited, we're still a few weeks away from a "final" edit. Luckily, my editor, Emma McKay of Mudscout media is someone who was also involved in the production of my Dennis Wilson book, and our collaboration on the new one is a comfortable situation. The actual launch date has not been set, although I'd estimate we'll see the book's release around June of this year. Anyone can reserve a copy by emailing their contact info to... CSMproductions@aol.com

Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 07:59:38 AM »

Jon, does the book address any possibility of David working with the Beach Boys again?

And is there any possibility of Dennis Wilson: The Real Beach Boy being in print again?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 08:08:04 AM by Charles LePage » Logged

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 08:14:11 AM »

And is there any possibility of Dennis Wilson: The Real Beach Boy being in print again?

Yeah, I'd like to know that, too. I ordered the book twice or three times through amazon and they could never send one...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 10:15:12 AM »

Hi Jon, Jason Penick here.  I met you at the Dennis Wilson bash at Chez Jay.  I was wondering what the status was regarding a remixed re-issue of Pacific Ocean Blue, and if a Dennis Wilson box set has been proposed or is in the works.  Everybody really wants to hear "Wouldn't It Be Nice/ To Live Again".  police

Hey Jason,
I wish I had an answer for this one. I'm completely out of that loop, if there is such a loop. It seems like even the guys who are in the loop, are wondering the same thing. You might direct this one to the Alan Boyd thread...he's put some effort into making things happen in the past. I just don't know what to say...WIBNTLA is a great, great song...I think we'll see it on something someday. Sheesh...that's pretty vague eh? Maybe this year we'll get some real asnwers on these things...I hope.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 10:30:42 AM »

And i'm wondering all that, plus this: How's the Chez Jay book coming?

Hey Susan,
The Chez Jay's book has been on and off so many times...it's kind of like my Smile...I hope it ends as nicely. The short answer is... that project needs to be fully backed before I can spend more time and effort to complete it. Much of it is done...but it needs more support to reach a published state. We've been through three agents, two publishers who backed out, another publisher who sat on it for 10 months and backed out, and several proposals, and re-writes. At times I'm really postive about it, and at times I just want to bury it forever. Sometimes adversity can lead to great things...I know the book will be great when it finally surfaces...but who knows when that will be? Not me. When things like the Dennis book, and Dave's book go so smoothly, and are supported so well, it makes something like the Chez Jay's book all the more frustrating.   

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2006, 10:46:25 AM »

Jon, does the book address any possibility of David working with the Beach Boys again?

Well, in a way it does. It explains that Dave has the unique ability to remain connected in a friendly way to all the living BB's. He sat in with Mike and Bruce a couple of times this past December. He's also played some recent gigs with Al...one this past weekend in Alaska...and more later this year. He's also very friendly with Brian. I don't think any of the others, well maybe Bruce, have the bridges intact...but Dave does. It would not surprise me if Dave ended up working with any and all combinations of BB's.

There's a great possibility of that happening. I own all the rights to the book, print rights, ancillary rights...everything is 100% mine. This gives me the ability to revise, expand and re-publish the book on my own terms. I have a partner who I'm in the process of working towards this goal with. If everything falls into place...you might see a 350 page version of "The Real Beach Boy" with lots of new material. Nothing is solid yet...but if it does solidify I'll make an announcement here.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 01:48:06 PM »

Good deal, as I thought your book was excellent!

One quick question; is any there any mention in the DM book about his contact with Brian during the Landy years? I know absolutely nothing about it, besides seeing a picture of them together in ghost-written "autobiography".

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006, 03:12:38 PM »

One quick question; is any there any mention in the DM book about his contact with Brian during the Landy years? I know absolutely nothing about it, besides seeing a picture of them together in ghost-written "autobiography".

Yes...that event is recounted in great detail. And I think it's one of the funniest parts of the book.
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2006, 10:54:04 PM »

The David Marks book will provide some fresh new perspective. I'd also like to see an expanded version of the DW bio.

Dennis is the real enigma. His talent was maligned at first . . . and then he blossomed into one of the group's best writers . . . all while hurtling down a path of self destruction. Dennis is worthy of a major, in-depth psychological evaluation.

We know the mechanics of destruction . . . but what (as with any addict) were the underlying causes? Murry's a given . . . but the range of other factors would be very revealing. That, when tied to the music and relationships within the Beach Boys, would be a powerful study.

It seems Dennis just gave up . . . and if it hadn't been for the drowning . . . it probably would have been something else . . . and probably around the same time period.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2006, 05:00:06 AM »

I think the Manson thing weighed on him heavily, as it probably would for any of us in the same situation.

But I think you're right about Murry...I think Murry's death, especially, had a deeply proufound effect on both Dennis and Brian.  You see them both taking a drastic turn for the worse in the couple of years after that.  Their "binging" (Dennis: cigarettes, booze, dope, sex; Brian: cigarettes, booze, dope, food) grew to mamouth proportions and it clearly had a negative impact on their health.  Prior to Murry's passing, B & D still seemed like "Boys" if you will; after that, they seemed like damaged men.

C-Man
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2006, 05:04:06 AM »

And, might I add, if it hadn't been for Landy's brutal approach to therapy, we likely would've lost Brian as well.  Sad but true.  Maybe another psych could've also done the trick, but the point is Brian could not have pulled himself out of it....he needed major help.  As Jon and others have pointed out though, the notion of someone doing "a Landy" on Dennis was not exactly practical, given his utterly rebellious nature.

C-Man

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2006, 05:54:06 AM »

Thier common problem behavior seems to "addition", don't hear about them being physically/emotionally abusive to their loved ones so much [intentionally anyway].  Or is that wrong? Could they have actually been modeling another parent's behavior much more than the usual suspect's?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2006, 09:25:10 AM »

I found this statement from David Marks on Jon's upcoming book:

There’s a book to be written about your career and your role in the Beach Boys: Can you tell a bit more or is it a secret? Will there be “secrets” cleared or scandals opened?

I don’t know if they’ll be scandals, but there will be newly revealed information for sure and some of that information will disprove some things that have become assumed as fact.  I found a lot of papers and materials that my mom saved, letters from lawyers, tour journals stuff like that so there’s proof to what will be written.  Jon’s been very careful to only put in information that he has evidence to support him.  Otherwise, he makes it clear that it’s opinion or “believed” to be true.  There will also be some pictures of the early Beach Boys, which have never been seen before.  I’ll leave the details for the book, but it will be something every fan that wants to know the truth about the birth of the Beach Boys should read.

http://www.brianwilson-fans.com/content/view/156/1/

Please go there and read the entire interview, it's good stuff.

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2006, 09:45:30 AM »

These are all good insights...C-Man, Mark, Cam...I'd say Murry was a huge factor in why the Wilson boys were/are so emotionally raw...or vulnerable. Who knows what his parenting techniques were at the most crucial stage...age two to four. So much of one's ability to process the world is set at that point. I imagine he did the best he could. Murry was full of heart, and it shows in all the boys...but he was extremely controlling, he could be cruel, and then overly apologetic...he spoiled them in many ways. The Dave Marks book deals with the subject of Murry quite a bit...from the late '50's until the mid '60's. I feel I got a clearer picture of Murry , both good ands bad, from talking to people who really knew him like David, Jo Ann Marks, Dave's cousin Toni, Fred Vail, Eddy Medora and others. One thing is for sure...Murry left a lasting impression on all of them. The descriptions run from "horrible" to "brilliant". But in Dave's story you get a clear sense of both the power and weaknesses of Murry Wilson.

Karen Lamm once told me that Dennis' biggest problem was the fact he never felt "accepted" by Murry. I think Brian is still seeking Murry's approval on some level too.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2006, 02:25:34 PM »

By "addition" I of course meant "addiction"; damn fingers.  And by that I mean I wonder if Audrey doesn't get a pass for her role, maybe more influential role, in the Wilson son's upbringing. If stories of her alcohol addiction are true, that is.  Murry's behavior is very memorable and upfront from stories told while Audrey's may have been more stealthy [undercover of happy drunk] but inflicting more behavioral damage to the sons.  Anyway the sons seem to be more addictive than abusive but then there is the complications of how much is learned and how much is disease too.  Aw, forget it.

Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2006, 03:22:05 PM »

There's also the conscious effort to NOT be what their dad was. I could see that being a factor.

Watch out for snakes!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2006, 08:33:48 AM »

True.

There were two parents involved and we hear/speculate alot about one but not so much the other;  I'm thinking the influence of the other is largely unexplored territory.

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2006, 10:06:32 AM »

There were two parents involved and we hear/speculate alot about one but not so much the other;  I'm thinking the influence of the other is largely unexplored territory.

Well here's some 20/20 hindsight through rose colored glasses...
Actually Audree's influence was prevelant and noted while researching the Dave Marks book. It seems all of the kids and parents in the neighborhood loved Audree, and many felt sorry for her. She seems to have genuinely been a loving and consistent parent. She's the one who taught the kids how to play the piano, and how to get a rock and roll or boogie woogie groove on it. She really nurtured their musical growth and didn't "push" them. She was always very forgiving of their folbles according to many sources.

Jo Ann Marks, who is in her late seventies now... told me the difference between Audree and Murry was like night and day...one, Audree being one of the kindest people she's ever known, while the other, Murry, was probably among the worst human beings she's ever known. I've heard others describe the couple in nearly the same terms. It's hard to find a bad word about Audree from anyone who knew her...with Murry it's not so hard. Perhaps the one thing people point to as a fault of Audree's is that she was so passive when it came to Murry's behavior. And if he was abusive, her tendency to be passive towards that would certainly be a contributing factor in the abuse. I have heard she drank, but have never heard that her consumption was anything out of the ordinary for a 50's/60's housewife, especially one with a husband like Murry. So the bottom line, Audree was a positive influence, a nurturing influence, a significant musical influence, a good and consistent friend to those outside the Wilson family. However, she seems to have let Murry have his way, and set the agenda.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2006, 06:47:08 AM »

Jon, I recall seeing Brian on one of the videos out there, demonstrating a boogie woogie piano riff and giving Murry credit for teaching him..........

not to nitpick your reporting...just appears to be another case of different people having different recollections of BB history

...........and I still peruse your Dennis book occasionally....it resides on my living room bookshelf next to Kingsley Abbot, and Paul Williams  Smiley
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2006, 08:59:50 AM »

Hey Donald - Audree was definitely the boogie-woogie teacher in that house from what I hear.. Dennis has said that in past interviews, Carl too...Dave Marks as well. Murry spent most of his time on the Hammond. And you're right, Brian will say anything at any moment...sometimes it cuts right to the truth...sometimes it short circuits the truth. Don't know why he does that...but the DW/POB reference in the "Brian as a fan" thread is a perfect example. Or, perhaps Murry taught it to Brian and Audree taught it to the rest of the guys...seems unlikely though. Glad you still find the book useful...though it badly needs an update.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2006, 05:34:22 PM »

I vaguely recall an interview with Brian where he said that his dad taught him boogie woogie piano (which he has always claimed), but not very well.  That Brian learned to play it better than his dad did.  Maybe because Audree taught Brian after Murry's first attempts at teaching him?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx